Future Expansion: How to do Asia

Higgins

The expansion this coming off-season is old hat now. It's all about the next expansion and it will be one that changes the global hockey landscape. Predictably we are getting another North American and another European team to round out the conferences to six teams a piece. The next expansion will shake things up more than usual.

A whole new conference will be born. Let's be honest with the cross-over factor there really is no conferences they are more simply divisions in the VHL when compared to the NHL. So let me introduce the next expansion: Asian conference. There will be two new teams introduced in Asia to kick start the Asian VHL conference. Hockey is growing rapidly in Asia, specifically China, but with them being nationalist and wanting control of the entire league the VHL will entirely avoid the Chinese market (for now).

16212737.jpg

The two new expansion teams will join the VHL from a short list of countries that includes Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan and Japan. Eventually all five countries could have a team and by then the VHL will dominate Asian hockey culture. At this point I expect China will be begging to join as most of their elite hockey players will declare for the VHL draft and commit to playing far from home in the VHLM.

S75 VHL Conferences

North American: 6 teams

European: 6 teams

Asian: 2 teams

Two expansion teams get their own conference, that seems a bit excessive. Well the next plan will be to transition the current Moscow to the Asian conference, which will be done two seasons after acclimating the new teams into a competitive position. That brings the total teams in each conference to North America: 6, European: 5, Asian: 3.

S77 VHL Conferences

North American: 6 teams

European: 5 teams

Asian: 3 teams

The league will run with this setup for three to five seasons and by then one of the North American teams will be intrigued by the growing Asian market and will pull out of a struggling market where they compete locally with the NHL. By now the VHL is the premiere hockey league in Asia so it's not inconceivable for this to happen. It's tough to say which teams, but I'd personally eye the Calgary Wranglers or the new S68 expansion team to fill this spot. That brings the total teams in each conference to North America: 5, European: 5: Asian: 4.

S80 VHL Conferences

North American: 5 teams

Asian: 4 teams

We are at the part where China is willing to pay to join the league with no control over any of the league aside from having a representative on the BOG. The plan is coming to completion on the Asian VHL expansion. A new expansion team joins the league. Beijing the biggest hockey market in the world outside by this time is set to join the VHL the very next season.

S81 VHL Conferences

North American: 5 teams

Asian: 5 teams

Next stop... AFRICA.

The number of Asian jokes I have in mind kind of overwhelms me right now. But I wanted to chirp in and say that I do like an Asian expansion, but more Japan than China in my opinion (just in real world performance, and my personal opinion). Even Thailand would be a fun thing, with a lot of people with a connection to Thailand vacationing and I know for a fact that Chiang Mai has a hockey team (let's disregard that Thailand's national team lost with 0-27 against Azerbaijan). 

Based on merit I think any Asian expansion team should be based in Japan though, Thailand or possibly Philippines (unsure if that's just "Pacific" or part of Asia), or a location where people actually have a relation to... which is not China.

It would be interesting to put one team in Tuva (a region, not a country, technically in Russia but in clearly the Asian portion) and another in Tuvalu (an island that's part of the Oceanic continent but would work for Asia if necessary) and see which similarly named place reigns supreme

12 minutes ago, diamond_ace said:

It would be interesting to put one team in Tuva (a region, not a country, technically in Russia but in clearly the Asian portion) and another in Tuvalu (an island that's part of the Oceanic continent but would work for Asia if necessary) and see which similarly named place reigns supreme

Then for Africa expansion we can do Niger and Nigeria 

14 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

Where are we at with the Chechnya expansion team? *enter nuclear power plant pun here*

Should do one in Crimea and call it a part of Europe instead of Russia. ? 

(Yes, I know, Urals)

Edited by Elmebeck

31 minutes ago, Elmebeck said:

There's also a Paris in Sweden (population 2),,, just saying, for European expansion.

Paris, ON

London, ON

Delhi, ON

Kingston, ON

We can make an Ontario conference with the largest cities of other countries lol

9 minutes ago, Quik said:

Paris, ON

London, ON

Delhi, ON

Kingston, ON

We can make an Ontario conference with the largest cities of other countries lol

Love it. We also need a Paris conference

Paris, ON

Paris, CA

Paris, TX

Paris, ID

Paris, TN

Paris, PA