Is the Hall of Fame a Flawed System? [1/2]

ColeMrtz

EDIT: Since my incoherent ramblings at the end weren't clear, don't take any of this seriously, I literally bullshitted the whole article for TPE, none of it is backed up with substantial evidence because I DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT and DID NO RESEARCH. I'm not trying to discredit anyone from HOF status nor do I know enough league history to do so. Kindly blow me.

As per usual I was sitting in discord without an idea for a PT this week when an interesting topic was mentioned. @Steve said he aimed to be one of "the few non white collar players" in the Hall of Fame, which was something I hadn't ever really considered being I've never had a VHL season. So I thought this might be something worth looking into, and so I present to you:

WHY THE HALL OF FAME IS A HEAPING PILE OF GARBAGE FOR ANYONE WHO ISN'T STAFF

We see a lot of players made by "employed" members either auto-cap or shave off the majority of the work regular members must go through in order to cap every week. The Hall of Fame makes this glaringly apparent. Looking back through S60 (not counting Ay Ay Ron), we see:

Mats Johnsson (Quik)* - VHL Commissioner - 3 TPE (plus one full free week and one PT free week per season)

Norris Stopko (Bushito)* - VHL GM - 2 TPE

Gabriel McAllister (CIA)** - Enhanced Welfare - 5 TPE/no PT

Lukas Muller (solas) - Regular Member - 0 TPE

Markus King (Kendrick)* - Recruitment Lead - 12 TPE

Fredinamijs Krigars (Hedge)* - VHL GM - 2 TPE

Apollo Skye (Velevra)** - Enhanced Welfare - 5 TPE/no PT

Franchise Cornerstone (Boubabi) - Regular Member - 0 TPE

John Locke (Will)* - Senior Admin - 2 TPE (?)

Fabio Jokinen (jRuttu) - Regular Member (?) - 0 TPE
Rhett DeGrath (STZ)* - Recruitment Crew - 12 TPE

Thanks @GustavMattias for the job pay review for this bullshit

(To my knowledge,) Everyone who was starred either did at one point or currently does hold a staffed position, and anyone who is double starred is actively utilizing enhanced welfare (free 5 TPE a week). Out of 11 HOFers, only 3 can truly be considered "blue collar players", and of those players they have pretty recognizable names. This is not to say staff members automatically get HOF, that's kind of bullshit as building a strong player is important, but the inherent nature of guaranteed TPE lends itself to an easier road, and it's hard to dispute that fact. However perhaps there should be a system in place to separate these two entities within the considerations, perhaps a staff inductee and a blue collar inductee (when applicable). Maybe I'm stupid because looking back over that list it looks like that was the case anyways, I was just being a hardass and knocking enhanced welfare guys off of the "regular members" list as well. Whatever. I needed to write 500 words this week and this was something to write about. I'm rapidly running out of topics but fortunately the offseason ends this week so I can start finding real topics, like ripping on @Sonnet for being the biggest block of swiss the VHL has ever seen, or about how Wang is going to win rookie of the year or some nonsense. God I need VSN to hire me so I don't have to think of topics anymore and have my article fall apart and turn into garbage. Coming up with interesting and original ideas when you can't do a mock draft sucks, I would've beaten Gustav just for the record.

508 Words

fuck

Edited by ColeMrtz

My guess is that these members are extremely active and it makes sense they are in the HOF. If you have a job on this site, you're there because you're active.

If you update every week for your career because you are active, then you will have some of the highest TPE, regardless of a job. 

High TPE = good play (in most cases) and HOF induction. 

The correlation between activity and TPE is there and has nothing to do with the fact these users held/hold jobs. I would be extremely surprised if someone who doesn't have a job gets in the HOF (if you don't have a job you don't need to be as committed to this site and therefor missing some weekly updates is most likely going to happen - or some duration of hiatus). 

If you really want to make a case, look up top TPE players from people who didn't have jobs and see how they compare. I bet my left nut that there are substantially more players with high TPE from people with jobs (due to activity and commitment each week) than there are players where the user has no job (nothing tying them to commitment/activity). Find comparable HOF players if you can. Then come back and write this again properly :) simple research. 

8 minutes ago, Motzaburger said:

Find comparable HOF players if you can. Then come back and write this again properly :) simple research. 

I didn’t want to do research, hence a shitty article about a topic I didn’t care too much about that I wrote solely to get TPE, I even mentioned how it’s blatantly full of shit

5 minutes ago, ColeMrtz said:

I didn’t want to do research, hence a shitty article about a topic I didn’t care too much about that I wrote solely to get TPE, I even mentioned how it’s blatantly full of shit

That's not very clear then lol

2 hours ago, ColeMrtz said:

Gabriel McAllister (CIA)** - Enhanced Welfare - 5 TPE/no PT

2 hours ago, flyersfan1453 said:

A lot of those TPE figures from the jobs are recent and didnt apply when those players went into the HoF.

To be fair, it'd be hella impressive if I had McAllister had the third most TPE of all time with just welfare and no job.

2 hours ago, Motzaburger said:

My guess is that these members are extremely active and it makes sense they are in the HOF. If you have a job on this site, you're there because you're active.

If you update every week for your career because you are active, then you will have some of the highest TPE, regardless of a job. 

High TPE = good play (in most cases) and HOF induction. 

The correlation between activity and TPE is there and has nothing to do with the fact these users held/hold jobs. I would be extremely surprised if someone who doesn't have a job gets in the HOF (if you don't have a job you don't need to be as committed to this site and therefor missing some weekly updates is most likely going to happen - or some duration of hiatus). 

If you really want to make a case, look up top TPE players from people who didn't have jobs and see how they compare. I bet my left nut that there are substantially more players with high TPE from people with jobs (due to activity and commitment each week) than there are players where the user has no job (nothing tying them to commitment/activity). Find comparable HOF players if you can. Then come back and write this again properly :) simple research. 

So, I have a chance? I have maxed every week since I got here and plan on for my current career. Does that put me in the running? I don't plan on having a job  at any point in the league. I am just a player and enjoy that part.

• Commissioner
14 minutes ago, Steve said:

So, I have a chance? I have maxed every week since I got here and plan on for my current career. Does that put me in the running? I don't plan on having a job  at any point in the league. I am just a player and enjoy that part.

It’s all about how your player performs really. Most first gens don’t get in purely because they don’t tend to have a good grasp of the attributes enough to get consistently good stats. Regardless of how much someone earns though anyone can make the HoF.

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It’s all about how your player performs really. Most first gens don’t get in purely because they don’t tend to have a good grasp of the attributes enough to get consistently good stats. Regardless of how much someone earns though anyone can make the HoF.

oddly enough my only HOF player is my first-gen lol

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Well, I agree with performance should have a big impact on a HOF consideration, I would think that anyone with the drive to be good will have their build sorted out fairly early in their career. I think the team and players any player gets to play on or with has a big impact on stats. Their could, in my opinion, be where a bit of bias could come into play. Doesn't matter to me at this point, I  have a long way to go and need team mates to play with before I perform to my expectations. I will revisit this topic in about 4 season.

31 minutes ago, Steve said:

Jobs don't get you any uncapped TPE for the most part, so there shouldn't be any difference between a jobless user's TPE earning and that of someone with a job, all else equal.

Review

Any type of article that isn't overtly offensive but elicits lots of responses is a good one in my book. I'm also glad you didn't take yourself too seriously - I know gorlab has written similar tongue-in-cheek comments that are really meant to stir the pot moreso than actually call anyone out. Only one real edit to make here:

he aimed to be one of "the few non white collar players" in the Hall of Fame

Let's change this around a bit, because the term you want to put in quotations is "non-white-collar":

he aimed to be one of the few "non-white collar" players in the Hall of Fame

Otherwise, nice job. Don't be afraid to write articles like this in the future.

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Is the Hall of Fame a Flawed System? [1/2]