TRADE ALERT: DAV/TOR

Doomsday

Gearing up for a rebuild  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WU2GfAKeo6-tJxxA62dvCVGB9rVSSl2q02c7C8FV

:hcd: HC Davos Dynamo Receive:

C Teegan Glover 

S71 NYA 2nd

S71 TOR 4th

S71 HEL 4th

S72 TOR 1st

S72 CAL 2nd

S72 TOR 4th

:tor: Toronto Legion Receive:

C Chad Magnum

LW Damien Wolfe

G Jaxx Hextall

LW Kristopher McDagg

Analysis

Well, this one sure came out of the left field. For whatever reason, the endless rebuild of the HC Davos Dynamo is delayed for yet another season as the Toronto Legion stake claim to the better part of yet another "BPA Draft" from Shawn Glade. Yet another Davos draft vanishes into thin air, but the Dynamo receive a plethora of draft picks and a cold, depreciating body to be on the receiving end of another long and painful season. The crown jewel of the move for Glade is the acquisition of Toronto's first-round pick in Season 72, which stands a good chance of being a lottery pick. However, acquiring picks has never been the issue for Davos: capitalizing on them has been. As Glade himself admitted following the trade, it was evident that Davos was not a favourable destination to some of the outgoing prospects. One person has the ability to change this, and that is Glade himself. It will take time, devotion and a plan to change this dismal culture in Davos, and I'm not so sure that Glade has the ability to do that and fully capitalize on the bounty this trade brings. 

However, on the other end, the new Toronto General Manager Peace has shown a clear desire to rebuild the Legion. The Season 70 VHL Entry Draft marked the first time since Season 63 that Toronto has made a selection in the first round. They now add to that by adding what is, in my opinion, a very good group of prospects. Chad Magnum is VHL-ready, possesses a wicked shot, a winning pedigree and could prove to be a team leader. Jaxx Hextall is a hidden gem at goaltender and with another year in the VHLM, will be ready to man the crease in Toronto and become a franchise goaltender. Damien Wolfe and Kristopher McDagg are two prospects that have room to improve, but if they continue to update and remain active, they'll be contributors to the Legion before we know it. Peace has paid a steep price for this core, but to me, the difference is that there is actually a plan in place in Toronto. This young group is the first step towards a rebuilt Toronto Legion, but can the same be said about the Season 72 Toronto 1st for Davos?

Get-to-Know the Players

Teagan Glover

The Season 65 draftee originally went to Riga, but instead found himself playing for the expansion Malmo Nighthawks. As a rookie in Season 66, he put up an impressive 71 points, bit followed it up with just 33 in Season 67. Traded to Toronto before Season 68, he recaptured his magic, scoring 34 goals en route to a 72 point season and his first trip to the playoffs, where he tacked on another six. But, just as in Malmo, his production again dropped off, scoring 49 points in Season 69 (nice). Now, he has been sent to Davos, where all things go to die. We're so sorry, Teegan. We truly are. 

Chad Magnum 

Drafted fifth overall courtesy of the "Best Player Available," method of drafting by Davos, Chad Magnum instead finds himself heading to Toronto. He was also drafted by the San Diego Marlins of the VHLM, meaning he will not suit up for either team that drafted him on Saturday night. After playing just under a full season in the VHLM for Mexico City and Yukon, recording 25 points and another one in the playoffs, he will begin his career with the Toronto Legion, as he has eclipsed the 250 TPE mark. 

Damien Wolfe

Drafted thirteenth overall by the Saskatoon Wild of the VHLM in Season 69 (nice), Wolfe proved to be a valuable contributor to what will surely go down as one of the greatest VHLM teams ever. He put up 46 points on a team loaded with talent, but another 17 points in the playoffs helped solidify the Wild's place in history. BPA determined that he would again go thirteenth overall, this time to Davos. With his work ethic, Wolfe looks to be ready to answer the call for Toronto in Season 71, and until then, he'll be perfecting his game in the VHLM in Philadelphia with the Reapers. 

Jaxx Hextall

A waiver signing by the Halifax 21st in Season 69 (nice), Jaxx Hextall contributed to the Halifax tradition of finding success with the waiver wire by taking control of the crease. Making 32 appearances, Hextall recorded a .864 save percentage and a 2.94 goals allowed average. After being awarded to Davos via the BPA at ninth overall, Hextall absurdly tumbled to 32nd overall at the VHLM Draft, as multiple VHLM GMs utterly dropped the ball. The Minnesota Storm cashed in, as he will man their crease as he prepares to become the future for Toronto in his native home of Canada. 

Kristopher McDagg

Originally drafted by Houston in the VHLM, Kristopher McDagg first played back in Season 67. Drafted in Season 68 by the Saskatoon Wild, McDagg scored 51 points, but took a backseat as a member of the famous Season 69 (nice) Wild, dropping to 27 points. He did, however, add seven more during the playoff run that resulted in the Founder's Cup. The BPA selected him 26th overall for Davos in Season 69 (nice), but he now finds himself on track to reach the VHL in Season 71 to assist with Toronto's rebuild. But before that, he will have one last ride with the Saskatoon Wild. 

Mentioned Players: @Bucky___lastard, @ShawnGlade, @Peace, @Corco, @ROOKIE745, @Laflamme, @Viperxhawks19

23 minutes ago, Jayrad28 said:

Davos won a trade?

did they really? Their rebuild should have started last season and now they're just delaying it once more. They got no player, no prospect but a bit more picks for the next couple of drafts, which Shawn will inevitably BPA, and then it'll start over again.

28 minutes ago, McWolf said:

did they really? Their rebuild should have started last season and now they're just delaying it once more. They got no player, no prospect but a bit more picks for the next couple of drafts, which Shawn will inevitably BPA, and then it'll start over again.

Value-wise, Davos wins the trade, but due to incompetence, I don't see them actually doing anything with it. You cannot build a team and establish a healthy culture in your locker room as an absentee GM. Toronto actually has a plan in place and for that reason, they will get more value out of their haul than Davos. 

1 hour ago, Doomsday said:

Value-wise, Davos wins the trade, but due to incompetence, I don't see them actually doing anything with it. You cannot build a team and establish a healthy culture in your locker room as an absentee GM. Toronto actually has a plan in place and for that reason, they will get more value out of their haul than Davos. 

Shawn is absent????????????????

3 hours ago, McWolf said:

realistically, we didnt have much of a choice. we didnt have our own first so we sucked for no reason, and the players we did take didnt wanna be here.

4 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

realistically, we didnt have much of a choice. we didnt have our own first so we sucked for no reason, and the players we did take didnt wanna be here.

you had three 1st rounders

Just now, McWolf said:

you had three 1st rounders

1 of which was used on my own player so i had 2. And figured I've said this like 10 times but ill say it again, i dont like lists, i think theyre dumb, id rather bpa. i wasnt able to make it draft day due to flying all day.

Also like I said, one of them didnt wanna stay, and peace was interested in all of them and he was set on this deal so i didnt turn it down. I'd much rather try again next draft with 2 lottery picks rather than 2 later picks

8 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

Maybe if you'd a) done some scouting before the draft, b) been present at the draft to pick people that had scouted well (as in wouldn't have minded being in Davos), and/or c) actually talked to your draftees (I know for a fact one of them got a contract offer from you and an invite to the LR but no personal message or anything), then you wouldn't be delaying your rebuild by another year.

3 minutes ago, ShawnGlade said:

1 of which was used on my own player so i had 2. And figured I've said this like 10 times but ill say it again, i dont like lists, i think theyre dumb, id rather bpa. i wasnt able to make it draft day due to flying all day.

Also like I said, one of them didnt wanna stay, and peace was interested in all of them and he was set on this deal so i didnt turn it down. I'd much rather try again next draft with 2 lottery picks rather than 2 later picks

you'd rather end up with players that don't want to play for you, who you didn't even want in the first place? Scout prospects before the draft and get someone to draft for you if you can't be there. Or rank the top 20 or so, so you at least got 2 full rounds, then bpa in the 3rd I don't care.

9 hours ago, Enorama said:

Maybe if you'd a) done some scouting before the draft, b) been present at the draft to pick people that had scouted well (as in wouldn't have minded being in Davos), and/or c) actually talked to your draftees (I know for a fact one of them got a contract offer from you and an invite to the LR but no personal message or anything), then you wouldn't be delaying your rebuild by another year.

I dont see how we can blame him for not being at the draft when he publicly said in the GM forum that the time didnt work for him and he was basically told to deal with it.

Also I've done the third thing there a fair bit.  A lot of us send offers and such and PM after.. 

Also Davos won this trade for sure.