Historical Battles Article Series

Advantage

Hey everyone, 

I will be starting an article series, now that I have more time than I wish and a working computer, and I am hoping to keep it as community involved as possible.

For those that have seen deadliest warrior, it will be a type of comparison like that with two legends/former players where I break down their entire careers and see which is better and also gather the communities opinion on it.  They will be pretty long with each article being at least 2000 words so I will be picking the matchups based on people's wishes but also ones that I think would be good to write about.

There are a few restrictions on this:

1) I will likely be looking to keep this to mainly S20 and later careers due to the issue of finding older season by season statistics and content.  Though, this is case by case as some players have been documented quite well.

2) Those involved must be retired.  The exception could be GMs if we decide to do them as well.

Here is a list of all the articles that I've decided and I'll continue to update this as we go so you know who is upcoming next week.

1. Gabriel McAllister vs. Matt Thompson

2. Aidan Shaw vs. Daisuke Kanou

3. Daniel Braxton vs. Ryan Sullivan

4. Greg Clegane vs. Sandro Clegane

5. Jody 3 Moons vs. Mattias Chouinard

6. Skylar Rift vs. Martin Brookside

7. Joseph McWolf vs. Jake Wylde

8. Bobby Digital vs. Tzuyu

9. Phil Rafter vs. Max Molholt

10. David Smalling vs. Zach Parechkin

11. Felix Peters vs. Wesley Kellinger

12. Diana Maxwell vs. Theo Axelsson

13. Fredinamijs Krigars vs. John Locke

14. Franchise Cornerstone vs. Thomas O'Malley

15. Max Bentley vs. Black Velvet

16. Leeroy Jenkins vs. Tukka Reikkinen

17. Jeff Hamilton vs. Phil Hamilton

18. Alexander Chershenko vs. Grimm Jonsson

19. Joey Clarence vs. Jakub Kjeldsen

20. Podrick Cast vs. Tarik Saeijs

21. OG Brick Wahl vs. Jakab Holik

Please feel free to suggest below as I want to mainly create these off of feedback.  The ones listed above had already been mentioned by some members.

Edited by Advantage

For my own misguided personal justification why my former players should be HoFers:

Jody 3 Moons vs Tom Lincoln (hof) OR Mathias Chouinard (hof)  --- whichever one is the closest comparison 

Bobby Digital vs Mats Johnsson (hof) OR Fabio Jokinen (hof) OR Jeff Hamilton (hof)  --- whichever one is the closest comparison 

1 minute ago, gorlab said:

For my own misguided personal justification why my former players should be HoFers:

Jody 3 Moons vs Tom Lincoln (hof) OR Mathias Chouinard (hof)  --- whichever one is the closest comparison 

Bobby Digital vs Mats Johnsson (hof) OR Fabio Jokinen (hof) OR Jeff Hamilton (hof)  --- whichever one is the closest comparison 

I like these ideas.  I wanted to do one for Kellinger too who I have championed a fair bit in bringing back to the ballot.  

• Commissioner

I would have thought Cast vs. Thompson but McCallister does make a bit more sense and hasn’t been beaten to death.

Slobo vs. Campbell would be fun but obviously quite pre-S20

If you did want competition for Holik than I think Skye makes the most sense.

O’Malley vs. Cornerstone could be interesting

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I would have thought Cast vs. Thompson but McCallister does make a bit more sense and hasn’t been beaten to death.

Slobo vs. Campbell would be fun but obviously quite pre-S20

If you did want competition for Holik than I think Skye makes the most sense.

O’Malley vs. Cornerstone could be interesting

Yeah listen Cast vs Thompson has been done a million times..McAllister and MT is insanely close (trust me...ive done the research already).

I tried finding one for O'Malley...but jesus his award cabinet is so insane its tough to find a close matchup.  Maybe we can look at that one though.

What about Cast vs. Cornerstone?

Holik vs Wahl (OG)?

Edited by Advantage

19 minutes ago, Advantage said:

I tried finding one for O'Malley...but jesus his award cabinet is so insane its tough to find a close matchup.  Maybe we can look at that one though.

If you’re looking for someone during the same time period maybe Koenig?  O’Malley was just so dominant though

Just now, solas said:

If you’re looking for someone during the same time period maybe Koenig?  O’Malley was just so dominant though

I honestly think the only fair one may be Campbell..but that one is tough too given its hard to find a lot of era statistics for the first two decades.

51 minutes ago, Victor said:

Chershenko vs Rafter

Or Rafter vs Molholt

Snijider vs Reikkinen

Smalling vs Karnage or Parechkin

So I like Rafter vs Molholt.  Two guys whose career numbers are ridiculous but lacked a bit award cabinet.

I think Chershenko vs Cornerstone would be interesting.  What do you think? Similar amount of awards, 850+ point getters, 100+ playoff point guys.

Smalling vs Parechkin for me is more interesting though I think all three have good arguments. 

My only issue with Snijider vs Reikkinen is that Reik has a significant award cabinet and the better numbers.  Would be a hard case for Snijider to make honestly.  Reikkinen vs Tordahl and Snijider vs McQueen? Sell me on Snijider and Reik cause you know your stuff.  Main thing I want is an argument for both sides to not make the article too in favour of one side.

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, Advantage said:

What about Cast vs. Cornerstone?

The reason I said O’Malley instead of Cast is simple: era defining players. Cast and Thompson kinda split that role but in their time but O’Malley and Cornerstone were both unbeatable during their time period.

But yeah, by award numbers Scotty is the only one who can compare.