Mock Draft of the Top-10 in the Upcoming S73 VHL Entry Draft

Advantage

Hello all, and welcome to my S73 Early Mock Draft for the Top 10 picks in the upcoming draft.  I decided to keep it ten with the Expansion Teams being able to be slotted anywhere from 11 to 16.  Therefore, by looking at the current standings I decided to stick with the top ten and mock who I think could end up on each of those teams, if the picks were laid out how they are.  This is the order that I am going off of:

1. D.C.
2. Malmo
3. Prague
4. Vancouver
5. Moscow
6. Malmo (from DAV)
7. Helsinki
8. Toronto
9. Vancouver (from NYA)
10. Malmo (from RIG)

Now obviously a lot can change with trades, the remaining twenty games of the season, and obviously with the draft lottery.  However, I thought this may be a fun little short article to see who has been trending well and where some of these players might end up.  Now onto the first five of the top ten...

1. D.C. Dragons - Tyler Walker (D - 279 TPE) @Advantage

I feel like D.C. could go anywhere but goalie here and it would make a lot of sense.  Ultimately though, with a lot of the team's defenders already in their prime, the Dragons scoop up the top player (that isn't a GM) available in Walker.  The Canadian has recorded eighty points in fifty-two games this season for the Saskatoon Wild and has been a steadying presence on the blue line for one of the league's top teams.  Walker projects as a two-way defender that can do it all on the ice, as he has the skating to be everywhere, and the offensive instincts to create a lot of pressure in the opponents end.  There are some other solid options, but this seems to be the easy pick to make and the one I would expect Enorama to settle on.

2. Malmo Nighthawks - Micah Adrienne (D - 253 TPE) @Poptart

I have a feeling that Malmo will be a little disappointed to not end up with Walker, but I think that disappoint will quickly clear once they realize that Micah Adrienne is a fantastic pick as well.  The young defender is poised to be a guaranteed top three pick in this draft, and with his defensive play style, he reminds me a lot of Jerry Garcia when Malmo took him with their very first entry draft selection in team history.  Adrienne has had a great year in the minors by showcasing his well-rounded game with fifty-eight points, one-hundred and seventy nine hits and seventy-three blocked shots.  To me this is also a fairly easy pick for a team that could use a defensive stabilizer alongside the more offensive Viktor Alexei Kamenov.

3. Prague Phantoms - Groovy Dood (LW - 192 TPE) @bigAL

I see Diamond_ace as someone who loves to take new members that have both a great work ethic and a professional attitude, and Dood will certainly meet these requirements.  The two-way forward has shown off an impressive leadership quality and intangibles that could see him selected higher than expected.  I have a feeling Prague goes forward here with their surplus of defenders, and this seems like as good of pick as any.

4. Vancouver Wolfpack - Jeffrey Pines (LW - 221 TPE) @rory

Like Dood before, I think Pines has showcased some great activity thus far in the league.  Pines does have a bit more of a traditional player build than someone like Dood, so that could give him the edge at the third overall selection to some, but I see him falling to four and being an awesome pickup for the Wolfpack.  Active first gens who are making their names well-known in the VHL are not so easy to come by when surrounded by a mix of recreates, but Pines is exactly that and would be a great first of two selections for the Vancouver Wolfpack.

5. Moscow Menace - Shawn Glade III (D - 201 TPE) @ShawnGlade

I am not really sure where Shawn will go as I know some have issues with him, but at the end of the day he is the best skater available at this point and at a position that Moscow could use.  With Moscow going towards a rebuild, Glade III can give them some clear talent at the position, as the defender has shined this year on Mississauga with his two-way play style.  His game is similar to Walker's but perhaps not quite as developed yet, but that play style could lend well to the Victory Hockey League wherever he is drafted.  

6. Malmo Nighthawks - Jacob Tonn (G - 268 TPE) @MexicanCow123

Some feel it is best to wait on goalies but at this point there really isn't a skater any better.  With the Nighthawks being able to take Frostbeard with their final pick of the first round, I believe they go and take their goalie of the future here in Jacob Tonn.  He sits third in the entire draft in TPE and has been able to keep the gap tight between himself and both Frostbeard and Walker.  Ultimately he will fall a bit due to position, but the Nighthawks have to be thrilled to get a future top pairing D and future elite netminder with their top-two picks.

7. Helsinki Titans - Dan Baillie Jr. (RW - 182 TPE) @wcats

At this point I could see the Titans leaning towards some experience and taking the forward in Dan Baillie Jr.  There are a few players that could go here (some will be featured in the next couple of picks) but I see the scoring Power Forward going here.  Baillie possesses a great shot to go with his big frame and developing physical play.  I don't necessarily think this is the right pick due to the work ethic being solid, but not at the elite level I think that is still available, but with his experience I could see DBJ going seven to the Titans.

8. Toronto Legion - Kosmo Kramerev (D - 185 TPE) @Mongoose87

I could see Kosmo Kramerev as a future steal when we look back on this draft in ten seasons.  The defender has been a tremendously active individual in his own locker room and has showcased activity by being one of the top earning players in this draft.  As a first generation defenseman, I do think his value is enough that he could go as high as four, but ultimately I do see the potential in him slipping if teams like Moscow value the veteran aspect of Glade over the newer talent in Kramerev.  I for one think that this is a potential climber by the time we hit draft night, but for now I'm sure the Legion would be thrilled to acquire his services at pick eight.

9. Vancouver Wolfpack - Andre LeBastard (C - 181 TPE) @Andre LeBastard

I was back and forth with a few names but Andre LeBastard has been one of the more active players in this draft.  I have tips from inside his VHLM LR on how active he is, and with the time and effort he has put into his skillset, I definitely feel that it is not being exaggerated.  Like Kramerev, this player is a bit quieter around the league but has let his play do the talking in a big way.  Also like Kosmo, I could see Andre moving up in this draft and in my opinion, he would be a better pick at seven than Baillie Jr.  If he keeps it up, this is another name that could be a big deal in a few seasons, and if so, the Legion will have an important player in their hands.

10. Malmo Nighthawks - Marshall James Frostbeard (LW - 286 TPE) @FrostBeard

GM player.  Last pick.  Y'all get it.  Frosty is a beast and the best player on paper in this draft.  He will be an elite forward in the future for Malmo, and will make up what is a practically perfect first round for the Nighthawks, as they are able to acquire a future top forward, defender and goalie with their three picks.

Edited by Advantage

8 hours ago, Advantage said:

I decided to keep it ten with the Expansion Teams being able to be slotted anywhere from 11 to 16.

6 hours ago, OrbitingDeath said:

Where will the expansion teams pick though?

S73 VHL Entry Draft slots, for where Expansion Teams will be drafting, will be determined randomly at the same time as the VHL Draft Lottery, falling anywhere from 5-12.