VHL teams compared to Australian Rules (AFL) Teams

Berocka

Hello, I am Berocka your friendly Australian and today I thought I would share with you the Sport I follow second most in Australia the AFL (Australian Football League). This is Australian Rules Football, no this is not Rugby, and you would be a brave person coming to Australia and calling it Rugby. I will give each of the VHL teams their AFL counterpart. I think this could be a fun series that not only I but people can do. Like whom from the VHL is most like Manchester United, Barcelona, The Patriots, the Oilers, Indian Cricket Team, or other sporting leagues around the globe. Well, I believe this is enough fluff to start so let us get into the meat and potatoes.

In Alphabetical order the VHL teams will be compared to an AFL team. Some of these are a stretch so I could do all 16 teams in the VHL. For people who know about the AFL the two teams I have left out are Western Bulldogs & Sydney Swans.

Calgary Wranglers are the Essendon Bombers  @Ricer13

Similarities: One of the original teams and one that has history set in stone. To me Essendon and Collingwood have a huge rivalry and play a game on ANZAC day every year as a rivalry game. If you scroll down you will see that Collingwood has been paired with Seattle and I think that the Seattle and Calgary rivalry has been one of the biggest to me personally.

Logo: 1200px-Essendon_FC_logo.svg.png

Guernsey: EFC_043__30245.1570672994.jpg?c=1

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybYJ8Xk-HI

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: This team has always been close to me, my favourite player when I was a kid had a huge rivalry with a player on the Bombers so it was always a fun match up the Bombers defender was so good and there were a lot of good battles. I love the logo and the team identity and it would probably have been my second favourite team in the past.

Chicago Phoenix are the Port Adeliade Power @JeffD

Similarities: I hate the Phoenix as well as hating Port Adelaide... Well I don't hate the Phoenix so that bit is a lie. Port Adelaide is one of the youngest teams to win a premiership and so is Chicago. That is where the main comparison comes from, also they have a huge rivalry with the Adelaide Crows as they are the only two teams from South Australia. I think that if Chicago was to have a rival it would be LA as they are the two NA expansion teams from the same era. This is where the similarities lie.

Logo: 1200px-Port_Adelaide_Football_Club_logo.

Guernsey: PRT09.jpg?20200703033848

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbWgbAL_DQ

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Fuck the power, lol I have never liked Port Adelaide, not only do they have an absolute douche of a news reader in Australia that is a fan of them. But, they defeated my team in their 4th straight premiership final. They stopped us from doing a 4-peat. Ever since then I have never really liked them as a team.

D.C. Dragons are the St. Kilda Saints @Enorama

Similarities: I consider D.C to be similar to St. Kilda due to the fact that St. Kilda will make the finals and work their way up to the Grand Final a couple of times but never does quite enough to win the cup. I think this sums up D.C. They are always in talks of being the best but never quite going all the way to win the cup. They always show promising steps but never quite make it to the top.

Logo: 1200px-St_Kilda_FC_logo.svg.png

Guernsey: SK30731_-_ADULT_-_SIDE__41615.1620455179

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe8fvtPMUTw

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Oh when you have, the most boring song, oh when you have the most boring song. Oh I would hate to be a St Kilda fan, cause you have the most boring song... St Kilda. have been around since 1897 and only won a premiership in 1966. So even though they have made the big dance a couple of times in my lifetime I have never really considered them a good team.

HC Davos Dynamo are the Melbourne Demons @GustavMattias

Similarities: Demons and the Dynamo what a history they have. They have won some cups and they have done extremely well in the past but oh my. Aren't they just the butt of a lot of peoples jokes recently. Like no one thinks they will win anything any time soon. As soon as someone talks good about them they honestly crash and burn or just fizzle out to nothingness. Maybe one day they can both return to their previous glory.

Logo: 1200px-Melbournefc.svg.png

Guernsey: Melbourne_Demons_2018_Home_Guernsey_-_To

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_Rdr0pfN0

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Ahh Melbourne, umm, well I don't have really strong feelings about them at all. Demons is a cool name I guess, they have just never been a good team or one I have ever really watched. I really have no thoughts about them what ever. They have been in the league forever since the conception and they have won a lot of premierships just never been good this century.

Helsinki Titans are the Geelong Cats @Rayzor_7

Similarities: The Cats have always been a team that you know could probably win this season. I feel like this is Helsinki, they always have a team that if they look like contending you would expect them to go deep in the playoffs. This happens every season really they make playoffs or look good during the season.

Logo: 1200px-Geelong_Cats_logo.svg.png

Guernsey: Rebel_58593901_bluewhite_hi-res.jpg?sw=5

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akAkWj7kXt0

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Geelong Cats is a team that I have always had a rivalry with. No idea why but most games I went and saw as a kid we always played the Cats. Thought it was also one of the best games I ever saw was the 2019 game against the cats.

London United are the Gold Coast Suns @McWolf

Similarities: One of the new teams in the league. They came in around the same time as the GSW Giants who you will see later in this list and you usually compare GC against GWS. I have made Warsaw GWS and I think that Warsaw and London usually get compared as they are both the new EU teams. Also neither GC or London have managed to make the Grand Final.

Logo: 1200px-Gold_Coast_Suns_AFL_Logo.svg.png

Guernsey: 021gold-coast-suns-home-front.jpg

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uee_3UPLq0M

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: The AFL wants the Gold Coast team to be Brisbane's rival they want it so badly. They keep trying to push the rivalry, calling the game we play each other the Q Clash. But I just couldn't care less about Gold Coast. They tried to buy big players out of the gate but never really became a power house of the AFL.

Los Angeles Stars are the Adelaide Crows @Josh

Similarities: Not only are they the major rivals with Port Adelaide as we discussed earlier. They have not really had any success recently. This was really quite a hard one as LA is a new team but I thought the rivalry with Port aka Chicago is probably the best comparison. Adelaide have won two cups back in 1997 & 1998 so long enough ago that everyone has now forgotten that.

Logo: 1200px-Adelaide_Crows_logo_2010.svg.png

Guernsey: AFL_Adelaide_Crows_2019_Mens_Home_Guerns

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=subHCYCimYs

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: The Crows are another team that to me aren't really a big deal, I have never known a Crows supporter and they have never really had any big match ups against my team. So they are just a team that flies under the radar for me.

Malmo Nighthawks are the West Coast Eagles @hylands

Similarities: Not only are Hawks and Eagles similar birds but the Eagles have had a fair bit of success lately making the finals quite a bit and winning a few cups. I know Malmo has only one the one cup but boy have they got close a couple of times. I think this is the closest comparison we can make. They also have a huge rivalry with Fremantle being the only two teams from Western Australia and I think that Malmo and Prague being two expansion teams in the EU kinda could give them a similar rivalry.

Logo: 1200px-West_Coast_Eagles_logo_2017.svg.p

Guernsey: home_guernsey_1_2.jpg

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioenqyOgbGo

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: The eagles have been a good team recently and they have done quite well but I feel like the times the Eagles are good and the times my team is good never really over lap so most games are known. Also they are too far away to truly hate as a team haha. But I am sorry Malmo this is the worst song ever it is a pop rock song instead of a good old fashioned footy song.

Moscow Menace are the Richmond Tigers @Spartan

Similarities: The Yellow and Black, that is what the Tiger Army is called. To me the Tigers have always had an extremely loud fan base, this could be that they have the most members each year so it makes their influence seem even bigger. But even at away games the Tigers are known for their loud supporters. This is how I picture Moscow with the Moscow Moscow Moscow chants happening all the time in game threads to me it seems like a perfect match. 

Logo: 1200px-Richmond_Tigers_logo.svg.png

Guernsey: Richmond-Mens-Home-F__98994.1603229751.j

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVx3Is7BDn4

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Richmond have been a thorn in my side personally for a while. They have been extremely good team and have some great players. They win 

New York Americans are the North Melbourne Kangaroos @Esso2264

Similarities: The North Melbourne Kangaroos are the but of most jokes in the AFL. They are underperforming recently and haven't one a cup this century which when you compare it to New York not winning a cup since S53

Logo: 1200px-North_Melbourne_FC_logo.svg.png

Guernsey: 2020Homeguernsey__18360.1617058340.jpg?c

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGBoXwHETGI

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: I honestly have no real strong feelings one way or another with Norths. They have never really been a strong rival of my team so I have not really ever cared on how they do. They want to move North Melbourne to Tasmania and I would be completely for that hopefully it would turn them into a good team finally. 

Prague Phantoms are the Fremantle Dockers @diamond_ace

Similarities: They are the purple teams! They have never won a cup but have got pretty close a couple of times. They are also big rivals with the West Coast Eagles, not that I think Malmo and Prague are big rivals but maybe one day. Fremantle and Prague to me are always the middle of the pack teams probably will make the finals/playoffs but probably will not get very far.

Logo: 1200px-Fremantle_FC_logo.svg.png

Guernsey:  ISCFREMANTLEDOCKERS2020MENSHOMEGUERNSEYF

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYcnuTktv20

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Again another team I don't really have strong feelings for to be honest. They have always just been a middle of the pack team in my eyes.

Riga Reign are the Hawthorn Hawks @hedgehog337

Similarities: The Hawks are a huge powerhouse and always seem to be in the top 8 come the end of the season and when you look at the Reign they always seem to make playoffs every season also. They are that team that you know will do quite well no matter what their roster looks like. If you go up against them in the playoffs you get a little bit worried and you just hope you can knock them off early. This to me sums up Hawthorn and Riga.

Logo: 1200px-Hawthorn-football-club-brand.svg.

Guernsey: 2021hawthorn-hawks-home-guernsey-mens-fr

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AOnEa6XpuY

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Hawthorn have always been a good team and I will always have respect for them as a good team. Personally don't hate them or love them just know they are a good team and that is it.

Seattle Bears are the Collingwood Magpies @Banackock

Similarities: When I was starting this it was honestly the easiest comparison. The Magpies are easily the Bears of the AFL you either love them or hate them. They have had quite a bit of success since their inception but they are a known side. They love to be hated. They also have an absolute dickhead in one of the top ranks of the team in Eddie McGuire and well Bana if the shoe fits mate ;) anyway I really like this comparison. They are also only one of two teams to have completed a threepeat.

Logo: 1200px-Collingwood_Football_Club_Logo_(2

Guernsey: Collingwood-Magpies-2021-Home-Guernsey-K

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG2z3fkVqpQ

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: Collingwood have always been a team I have had some rivalry towards we met them in a grand final twice in a row and beat them twice so my team is obviously better than them.

Toronto Reign are the Brisbane Lions @Peace

Similarities: The Lions are most well known for two things, one doesn't really apply here but it is the merger between two different AFL teams to make one team. They went from Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy Lions to become the Brisbane Lions. The second one is a threepeat done in 2001-2003. When looking through the history of the VHL the threepeat that Toronto completed in s48-50 really made the connection to me happen.

Logo:  1200px-Brisbane_Lions_logo_2010.svg.png

Guernsey:  HOME_RETAIL_GUERNSEY_FT__25897.161222010

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYwW41-IoEE

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: This is my team I have followed this team since I was 5 or 6. They had a lot of success in early 2000’s and that was great for me as a kid. I still currently go to games at least once a year. I have a good feeling about this season they are doing quite well.

Vancouver Wolves are the Carlton Blues @fonziGG 

Similarities: Both are older teams with their history set. You know the team and you know what they can do when they play well. The Wolves and the Blues have made so many Cup and playoff appearances you know they are a great team. They Blues haven't seen much success lately but still ride on the success of old. I know that Vancouver have won a few cups recently but you definitely expect both teams with such history to continue being a powerhouse of the league.

Logo: 1200px-Carlton_FC_Logo_2020.svg.png

Guernsey: Rebel_58609701_navy_hi-res.jpg?sw=1000&s

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPpe2LVfgwo

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: The Blues are just a team I never really paid attention to really. I don't think I could name many players that have played for them. Sorry but Carlton to me is really a nothing team.

Warsaw Predators are the Greater Western Sydney Giants @.sniffuM

Similarities: There is a big big sound coming from Warsaw. That is similar to GWS Giants. They are both brand new teams who have almost made huge amounts of success and to me they are both the favourite of the newer teams. GWS came in around the same time as Gold Coast and both are the newest teams. 

Logo: 1200px-GWS_Giants_logo.svg.png

Guernsey: home_guernsey_1.jpg

Team Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XRugei364

Personal Feelings of the AFL Team: I have no real strong feelings about the team they are just a new team that have almost done well, they have a couple of dickheads that play for them. But, to me the older rivalries mean more to me than these newer teams.

Here is a summary of the above

Calgary

Essendon

Chicago

Port Adelaide

D.C Dragons

St. Kilda

HC Davos

Melbourne

Helsinki

Geelong

London

Gold Coast

Los Angeles

Adelaide

Malmo

West Coast

Moscow

Richmond

New York

North Melbourne

Prague

Fremantle

Riga

Hawthorn

Seattle

Collingwood

Toronto

Brisbane

Vancouver

Carlton

Warsaw

Greater Western Sydney

So, I hope you all enjoyed this quick dip into the world of Australian Football let me know what you all think of my comparisons. Being the only Australian in this league that watches the AFL means you probably can not find anyone to argue with me about these choices. Also, which was your favourite team song?

• 3 weeks later...