Thoughts on the playoffs, Funk, and Bana

Victor

• Admin

Firstly, I was gonna do an article about some updates to the greatest goaltender performance of all-time but this may turn out to be a footnote. However I would like to extend my congratulations to the epic goalie battle between Rayz Funk @Rayzor_7 and Jacques Lafontaine @SlapshotDragon who put up a fuckton of saves and .943 and .949 save percentages respectively. Lafontaine's tally puts him 3rd all-time among losing goalies, behind the great Alexander Labatte and Greg Clegane, some solace perhaps. The Funk vs Lafontaine battle might have just been the greatest we've seen since the CLEGANEBOWL of the S51 finals.

So, Rayz Funk Trophy? He is presumably now odds on for a record 4th playoff MVP, overtaking the record of Kanou and already has the lead in the meaningful career stats over all the competition (Wingate, Kanou, the Cleganes, etc.). Unfortunately, we've never really been in the business of renaming awards even after records were set long after the original honoured names were long retired. Plus, we already have a Funk Trophy.... I think it's a long shot but Rayz can clearly claim the #1 playoff goalie spot for his own now and maybe even across all positions (yes that sound is Scotty rolling in his grave).

And finally, @Banackock. Best GM ever? Not an honour I will hand out as lightly as the one to Funk if only because no one has ever attempted a comprehensive GM ranking, myself included (largely because my opinion for years has been there are only two types of GMs - good ones and idiots). But even removing the context of current league state, longevity, and the state of the Seattle franchise when Bana took over - they are now tied for the Continental Cup lead for the first time since their 4th way back in S17 - what are the raw numbers?

Cups won by GMs (3+)

Devise - 6

Bana, Higgins - 5

Hedge - 4

Frank, Victor, Molholt - 3

Finals appearances by GMs (5+)

Devise - 9

Higgins - 7

Advantage, Bana, Frank, Quik - 6

Bushito, Hedge, Victor, Knight, Molholt - 5

Top GM trophies (3+)

Advantage - 6

Devise - 5

Higgins - 4

Bana, Mike, Quik, Victor - 3

Rebuilds completed

Devise - 0

Everyone else - at least 1

It's largely the same names but clearly there is a conversation there to be had.

Now that I have made it to 400 words I will ramble on to make it a Media Spot. It's pretty wild how acceptable that is these days considering back in the day Slobo and many other graders (maybe myself included) would have torn me a new one for this blatant disregard for the integrity of the written art of the VHL. These days I can shit out 500 words of whatever I want and get my 6 TPE - granted, I've not even done that for 2 weeks because what is the point of earning TPE for Pavlov exactly. Anyway, it's off-season time, time to regenerate, regroup and I have a few well researched articles and projects coming your way in the next year.

• Admin
7 hours ago, Mr_Hatter said:

Would be interesting to see those GM statistics as a percentage of seasons managed as well! ? wild stuff

Theres not actually too much between us. I think everyone near the top of the list falls between 15 to 25 seasons so pretty much splitting hairs.

First off, congratulations to @Banackock for spearheading his franchise to victory again. Also big applause to @Rayzor_7 for another win for the records books. Well deserved.

Content wise this was a good look and some quick analysis. I duly noted that Victor just rambled on to add another 100 words so that hits the content section for sure. Facts are in place, with formatting that is fine and pacing that works. No pictures as well which makes me a sad panda.

6/10

Edited by tfong

• Commissioner
20 hours ago, Jubis said:

My biggest takeaway from this: that rebuilds are overrated lol

The @Devise method is just to succeed until it looks unlikely anymore and then peace out. Quite literally this last time where he left @Peace to pick up the pieces of Toronto.

On 9/7/2020 at 6:31 PM, Victor said:

Cups won by GMs (3+)

Devise - 6

Bana, Higgins - 5

Hedge - 4

Frank, Victor, Molholt - 3

Wow, I'm only 3 cups away from making that list. Can't wait.

Rebuilds completed

Devise - 0

Everyone else - at least 1

Is what I'm doing considered a rebuild?

It's pretty wild how acceptable that is these days considering back in the day Slobo and many other graders (maybe myself included) would have torn me a new one for this blatant disregard for the integrity of the written art of the VHL.

I tried to deny some of these when I was an updater and I got shat on. We can't save PTs.

Victor has made me this:ajax psv GIF by AZ Alkmaar

I got my “I shat my pants and like it” face on.

I think I’ve done.. 2 or 3 “successful” rebuilds during this tenure with Seattle.. which is 2 or 3 times more than Devise. Has to be 3. Idk. Been forever. 

• Head Moderator
On 9/7/2020 at 5:31 PM, Victor said:

It's pretty wild how acceptable that is these days considering back in the day Slobo and many other graders (maybe myself included) would have torn me a new one for this blatant disregard for the integrity of the written art of the VHL

tenor.gif