MEXICO CITY NEEDS A NEW LOGO

CharaZardd7

You look around the league and you see the same commonality in all of the logos......They all reflect their city or team in some way. But when it comes to Mexico City’s logo, that isn’t the case.

When you look at the Mexico City logo it looks to be an indigenous chief, holding the letters that spell out the team name. Nothing to do with Mexico. 

Mexico needs a new logo that reflects the rich culture of Mexico, something that makes sense. The colour scheme of the team are fine as is, but we need a more representative logo. This logo just doesn’t sit in line with the rest of the logos in the league. 

Like this idea, I think it would be great to incorporate the golden eagle. I did some quick research and found that the eagle had something to do with the founding of Mexico City. Not sure if ‘Kings’ would stay, but just an idea, considering the eagle is on the flag. 

Fun fact, it has lots to do with Mexico City! Mexico City is the modern day name for Tenochtitlan, the capital of the Aztec empire. Aztec kings wore ceremonial headdresses like the one in the logo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSul5ArMPHpgROhbzTmX4

I had no part in choosing or making the logo, and agree that it's not a super great one, but it does have strong ties to Mexico City. The logo makes sense, it is friggin badass, and I love the Kings nickname because it's not the classic stereotypical Mexican team and pays homage to the history of the country.

The eagle is more symbolic of modern day Mexico, yeah, but the Kings moniker reminds us that Mexico was not always Mexico.

Yeah this is something I’ve seen discussed since returning. I do like the current logo, and there are some resemblances to Aztec warriors and such, which I’d like to think that’s what the artist was going for, but I do wish it was more distinctive. Like you said, it does resemble a Native American chief more.

Only being in the league a month idk how much my say would have an impact on this topic but i agree.. Mexico City should go through a tiny rebranding, i think it should go through a name and logo change. I think if we bring a closer resemblance to its Aztec history it is commonly known for i think it would give the team a stronger meaning  

24 minutes ago, rory said:

nope, just getting their moneys worth! racism be damned.

Okok got it.. didnt know teams paid for their logos tho.. thats pretty cool

8 minutes ago, tfong said:

I personally think this represented Aztec warriors to me prior and I still think so. It looks badass.

I mean it does to me dont get me wrong but i agree with some how it looks or gives the impression of a native american chief you know?

5 hours ago, bigAL said:

Fun fact, it has lots to do with Mexico City! Mexico City is the modern day name for Tenochtitlan, the capital of the Aztec empire. Aztec kings wore ceremonial headdresses like the one in the logo.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSul5ArMPHpgROhbzTmX4

I had no part in choosing or making the logo, and agree that it's not a super great one, but it does have strong ties to Mexico City. The logo makes sense, it is friggin badass, and I love the Kings nickname because it's not the classic stereotypical Mexican team and pays homage to the history of the country.

The eagle is more symbolic of modern day Mexico, yeah, but the Kings moniker reminds us that Mexico was not always Mexico.

Disagree. I like the idea of a logo based on Aztec culture but the headdress in the logo is much more reminiscent of a war bonnet than the ones you see there.  Maybe I’m getting into the weeds here, but it always struck me as “generic Native American logo #3” that the VHL picked out and asked a designer to change the text on rather than having any actual connection to Aztec culture.  

A couple weeks ago, I had to do a presentation on the topic of Native American stereotypes. Part of that was the prevalence of this type of imagery in sports teams branding.

I think one of the bigger issues here is the constant negative portrayal of Native Americans. The average person today when thinking about a Native American probably still has the mental image of a savage warrior who rides on horses and wears headdresses with warpaint...even though that's a complete misconception.

Media portrayal of this stereotype is a huge factor because of the common misrepresentation. When you see a Native American on your TV, it's most likely going to be of an old war movie or a segment on a history channel. Modern day representation is almost non-existent, and when they are shown, it's usually in a negative light. Imo, the Kings logo here feeds into this with the "war bonnet" as found by @solas and the overall warrior-like feel.

On top of all that, you of course have the culture appropriation. Seeing the amount of racial and cultural figured being used as a mascot for profit is mind-boggling, and seeing how in a way we are using this logo for money, it's something that needs to change.

if you'd like a fantastic website that can explain this stuff better than I can, I recommend this one: https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/native/homepage.htm

there's a section at the end regarding sports franchises.

For those wondering...as it was to be in my bog update this week...we've already decided on a new logo and it should be up this week I imagine.

I had brought my concerns forward and most of us agreed and we found a new logo.

So just a heads up there.

I'll tag you specifically @rorysince you like to fabricate a narrative whenever you can.

Good read @CharaZardd7

Edited by Advantage

7 hours ago, JB123 said:

Like this idea, I think it would be great to incorporate the golden eagle. I did some quick research and found that the eagle had something to do with the founding of Mexico City. Not sure if ‘Kings’ would stay, but just an idea, considering the eagle is on the flag. 

Sadly you'll never see a Golden Eagle logo in this league again after the Vasteras Iron Eagles were a thing.

58 minutes ago, Advantage said:

For those wondering...as it was to be in my bog update this week...we've already decided on a new logo and it should be up this week I imagine.

I had brought my concerns forward and most of us agreed and we found a new logo.

So just a heads up there.

I'll tag you specifically @rorysince you like to fabricate a narrative whenever you can.

Good read @CharaZardd7

Thanks for tagging me! I'm really interesting in making sure that everyone in the league can have a good time, so I hope with this change we can prevent something negative from happening in the future! :) 

1 hour ago, rory said:

Thanks for tagging me! I'm really interesting in making sure that everyone in the league can have a good time, so I hope with this change we can prevent something negative from happening in the future! :) 

Well that's certainly an improvement over "Racism be damned", but I have a sneaking suspicion you might be sarcastic.

Yeah it's one of those logos that might not be obvious at first, but as soon as it's pointed out you go "Yeah...maybe not." Good decision by the league.

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Well that's certainly an improvement over "Racism be damned", but I have a sneaking suspicion you might be sarcastic.

Yeah it's one of those logos that might not be obvious at first, but as soon as it's pointed out you go "Yeah...maybe not." Good decision by the league.

No, silly! That comment was sarcastic because the league was ignoring the problem when it was brought up to them over a year ago. I'm just happy that it's finally being fixed at this point.

Just now, rory said:

No, silly! That comment was sarcastic because the league was ignoring the problem when it was brought up to them over a year ago. I'm just happy that it's finally being fixed at this point.

Genius Farmer!

sddefault.jpg

• Head Moderator
On 4/20/2021 at 12:32 PM, Mistxh J said:

I mean it does to me dont get me wrong but i agree with some how it looks or gives the impression of a native american chief you know?

Maybe. But I only noticed it after the fact, not before so that might just be a viewing biasness or whatever you call it.

1 hour ago, tfong said:

Maybe. But I only noticed it after the fact, not before so that might just be a viewing biasness or whatever you call it.

Ya, could be some underlying viewing bias.  If you Google Mayan Headdress, it looks pretty much like the current logo....

• Head Moderator
2 hours ago, Frank said:

*New name

Mexico City Cartels

I feel like someone mentioned that and said as a Mexican national they found it offensive since it was equivalent to relating the country to thugs.

1 hour ago, Sonnet said:

Correct, the first GM dubbed them colloquially as "the cartel," and that was eventually shut down because someone spoke up. So to a degree, that name was used for them already, and it went over about as well as the logo has.

Heard.

Mexico City All Inclusive Resorts