I'm a cheater!!

AJW

You read that title right, I cheat in the VHL!! Okay well unintentionally cheat.

This article will go over my TPE-Ban and GM suspension, I'll tell you all the juicy details that the league never let's the public know and hopefully by the end you won't think I'm a bad guy. Also, I won't be bashing or hating on the Mods or Commissioners so if that's what you came for I hope you're disappointed. This is just my story of why I received my punishments.

So to start things off we have to go way back to May 2021, when a young AJ joined the VHL. I signed waivers with the Ottawa Lynx right after I had missed the draft. I got my feet wet extremely quickly with earning TPE and I was having such a fun time with the league and everyone in it. There was a problem though, I didn't know anyone in real life that was part of the VHL. I knew my cousins @Xalen11 and @PistolP were into hockey so I invited them to join. They both played with me on the Lynx throughout S78. Through the entirety of S78, I never had access to their players or accounts. They would always come over so I would make them login weekly. Then after my cousins joined, I invited their dad (my uncle), @DeeGoat, to join the fun. The bastard decided to sign with Mexico City, what a jerk. So I never played with my uncle, just my cousins. At the end of S78 we were all drafted to different teams and didn't play with each other throughout the entire rest of our player's careers even up till now. This is when I started to see the drop in their activity. They would forget to login unless I told them to, not even remember about the VHL. Being a new member who was addicted to the VHL, I really wanted them to continue updating and for that reason, they all gave me access to their accounts so I could collect welfare and practice facility for them when they'd ask or forgot to. In my mind this was fine. I knew multi accounts weren't allowed but these weren't my accounts, I just had access to them so I didn't think twice of it. I had no clue this wasn't allowed and thought it was okay, I still thought it was okay until the mods messaged me this past week! I also never once had intentions of getting them traded to my team/stacking teams, etc. My goal was to keep them active and help them out so they could have good players with me. 

So this was around mid-end of S79 I think when I started collecting for them. If they came over to my house/ I went to theirs, then they would hop on and check things out. But basically if I wasn't around then they were IA. Fast forward to S80 I believe, I introduced my family friend @Vinnie to the VHL. Same story, he liked it, was active, then disappeared. Vinnie is a different story though. When I gained access to his account, he had just signed waivers with Las Vegas (this season), the team I GM. Some of you may think, well he's only a 70 TPE player who you don't even have draft rights to, it's not a big deal. I thought the same way too, but now looking at it, having access to a player on my team who isn't mine is such a dick move. I would be pissed if other GMs had multis or even just access to their players to keep them active. So to the VHLM GMs, I am sorry and do feel bad about Vinnie's player. I understand how shitty of a thing that was to do.

Now here's something I didn't know while collecting TPE for these people. It has been about a month (beginning of S81 season) that any of them have logged into the forum themselves. My uncle and cousins told me that they just let me take their accounts since they knew I liked the VHL so much. If I knew this was the situation, I would have stopped logging in for them. I was only logging in to their accounts to keep them active weekly and gain TPE for their players so that when they check in every now and then, they'll be happy to see their players improving. I didn't know they stopped checking in in general. Same goes for Vinnie, I haven't talked to him since I signed waivers to his player. I could predict he hasn't logged in for around a month as well. So I do feel like an idiot for that, I basically had multi accounts for the last month without even knowing it.

"Temporary suspension of his gm job in Las Vegas". Wow what the f. I know that what I did wasn't right but come on. I worked my ass off and spent so much time everyday in the VHL since I joined just to work my way up to being a GM. I took a burned down organization in Las Vegas and built it up to be a top 3 team in standings with an insanely active locker room in one season. I literally brought life back to a VHLM team. Hopefully the league sees my reasoning as to why I was in control of these accounts and can reconsider. It would be a true shame if I lost my GM job for trying to help my family stay in the league - even though no one knows that's the reason why yet since I am currently typing it out - but that would suck.

Also, those four players have one week TPE bans while "The official ruling of his Gm role will come from vhlm commissioners at a later date." I hope this official ruling is not waiting for these players in a week to update on their own and checking their IP addresses to see if they match with mine. All four aren't coming back, they've literally been IA without me knowing while I have been updating their players for them. So if I lose my job for that reason I'll be veryyyyyy mad.

Losing my job in Vegas would result in me taking a break from the VHL. I love the VHL and everyone in it but that shit would hurt and I really don't know if I would want to come back. Call me a baby if you want, but this is what I spend most, if not all of my free time on everyday. I should be going to bed right now after I worked a 12 hour shift but I'm sitting here typing an article trying to explain my intentions and how they weren't set out to be bad.

So, if you read all of this, I appreciate you and hopefully you can understand. 

1 minute ago, ajwllmsn said:

Also, those four players have one week TPE bans while "The official ruling of his Gm role will come from vhlm commissioners at a later date." I hope this official ruling is not waiting for these players in a week to update on their own and checking their IP addresses to see if they match with mine.

I can assure you this isn't it. Vhlm commishs just were unsure about completely firing you at this moment. I don't know how long they will take to decide but it has nothing to do with those players ban.

Just now, samx said:

I can assure you this isn't it. Vhlm commishs just were unsure about completely firing you at this moment. I don't know how long they will take to decide but it has nothing to do with those players ban.

I appreciate the explanation! Was going to be so mad LOL

“Temporary suspension of his gm job in Las Vegas". Wow what the f. I know that what I did wasn't right but come on. I worked my ass off and spent so much time everyday in the VHL since I joined just to work my way up to being a GM.”

On multiple accounts, running multiple players. Some of which played for you. This multi thing keeps getting better and better. 

WHO IS NEXT?

Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

6 hours ago, Banackock said:

“Temporary suspension of his gm job in Las Vegas". Wow what the f. I know that what I did wasn't right but come on. I worked my ass off and spent so much time everyday in the VHL since I joined just to work my way up to being a GM.”

On multiple accounts, running multiple players. Some of which played for you. This multi thing keeps getting better and better. 

WHO IS NEXT?

Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

🙃 only vinnie this season. If you read the article you’d see that I had no control over Xalen and pistol when I played with them.

While I was a GM in the VHLM I was always trying to recruit people. If I didn't have enough players I would reach out to friends, family, and even colleagues to see if anyone would want to try it out. This is how I was able to get three players, who are still around, to join (my wife @LuluSalesAway, my college roommate @Gretzky didnt lift da puck, and my buddy @Eldredman). At one point, one of the people I recruited and who I ended up drafting said "I know you need my player and if I go IA you have to boot him. Life is really busy for me, so I'll give you my account information and you can collect for me to keep me active." Now, whether or not he was a player on my team, another team, or in another league, I knew this wasn't okay. I told him "no" and said "if you have to go IA because life is too busy, do it."

I appreciate your honesty in this post. All you can do from here is learn from your mistakes and press on.

If you get stabbed 1 inch into the body by one person and another stabs you 2 inches.. Who is more guilty?

I think newert membets may get away with this but you had one of these "cousins" on your team. Stop trying to make it sound like you didn't do anything dude, would rather you sit back with your tail between your legs instead of trying to recover as soon as possible, shit happens and people really gotta stand under their dark cloud more often, you'll become a better member

Edited by 16z

Like I just used my 1st rounder and a 2nd on multis and others lost even more.. Maybe some of these offenders need to think on their own and realize what they did was horrible. Sad part is we could have lost the finals last year to Yukon because of multis

Edited by 16z

Here’s my problem with this. I can’t sit here and prove that it was family from here. And if you take away that aspect, you’re left with: You earned TPE for multiple accounts. Which is a big no no. Even if you add that back in, it’s still: You earned TPE for multiple accounts for family. Still a no no.

I get why you’re apologizing, but I also get the punishment behind it. The actions taken affected multiple teams and it violated the CoC.

11 minutes ago, KaleebtheMighty said:

Here’s my problem with this. I can’t sit here and prove that it was family from here. And if you take away that aspect, you’re left with: You earned TPE for multiple accounts. Which is a big no no. Even if you add that back in, it’s still: You earned TPE for multiple accounts for family. Still a no no.

I get why you’re apologizing, but I also get the punishment behind it. The actions taken affected multiple teams and it violated the CoC.

Don't think anyone is necessarily against the fact that there was a punishment, I'm just more confused how making 6 multis has the same punishment as updating a couple players for a month.

Maybe the mods can see or determine at what point AJ started updating for the other accounts, but I'd think that if it was more recent as he claims, it isn't *as bad* as what Alexandre did. The family members are free to use their players once their ban ends but the Alexandre multis are getting yeeted from the league. Much more of a wide ranging impact to the community than AJ's recently turned IA family members getting a tpe ban. If they're IA, most of them will still be useful players for some E teams, but their teams still keep those players.

Add on top that AJ is temporarily suspended from his GM job and at risk of losing his job completely while  Alexandre has been kept on as AGM and has the avenue to redemption as stated by mods. It seems a bit hypocritical. Yes, AGM's have no pay and aren't a league appointed job, but to a team, they are the #2 in command, have portal powers, and exert a similar level of influence as the GM on the players on the team. It just seems like AJ was slapped harder for a less severe infraction, which is what some folks disagree with. Not advocating for AJ to not get punished.

Edited by Spartan

AJ I've only known you for a brief time here in the VHL, but in my limited experiences with you, you are a pretty chill dude and one that I enjoy chumming it up with in the community. I think it's great you reached out to get people you knew in real life to get involved in the VHL with you. I think you may have made some mistakes but I also think at some point you had of realized what you were doing wasn't entirely on the up-and-up. And if you didn't know, you really should have. A GM in any of the three leagues should be aware of what's allowed and what isn't. What if a user comes to you on Vegas and says "am I allowed to do X?" In my opinion, you should  take the punishment with your head held high, apologize and come back better after the whole experience. Even if you were to lose your GM job, it's not like you can't re-apply for another GM spot in the future. There's always job openings for VHLM GM spots. 

You're a good dude, don't let this experience ruin your whole outlook on the VHL.  Just take your lumps and bounce back strong homie. 

Assuming this story is true which honestly is hard to prove I am not sure if you would lose GM job. In all honesty the main problem is that there is a very vocal minority when it comes to moderators issuing bans. With the information we have received I think they haven't made a ban choice when it comes to bans so I imagine the commish will do the same.

2 hours ago, KaleebtheMighty said:

Agreed, just didn’t know it was a no no. Should’ve read into the CoC and should have known the rules. Being a GM I should have known but I just didn’t.

1 hour ago, fromtheinside said:

AJ I've only known you for a brief time here in the VHL, but in my limited experiences with you, you are a pretty chill dude and one that I enjoy chumming it up with in the community. I think it's great you reached out to get people you knew in real life to get involved in the VHL with you. I think you may have made some mistakes but I also think at some point you had of realized what you were doing wasn't entirely on the up-and-up. And if you didn't know, you really should have. A GM in any of the three leagues should be aware of what's allowed and what isn't. What if a user comes to you on Vegas and says "am I allowed to do X?" In my opinion, you should  take the punishment with your head held high, apologize and come back better after the whole experience. Even if you were to lose your GM job, it's not like you can't re-apply for another GM spot in the future. There's always job openings for VHLM GM spots. 

You're a good dude, don't let this experience ruin your whole outlook on the VHL.  Just take your lumps and bounce back strong homie. 

I agree, I should’ve known the rules and I will take whatever punishments are coming.

To me this is a cut and dry case of doing something against the rules. Honestly, the fact that you are saying that "Oh, it is my family"

And:

13 hours ago, ajwllmsn said:

Losing my job in Vegas would result in me taking a break from the VHL.

Is kind of sad, isn't it? Sounds like a threat similar to that of "Oh, if you won't give that candy to me, I will tell my dad!" 

Gonna say simply - if I would be the VHLM Commissioner, I would personally see this as a rule that a GM can't break in NO CIRCUMSTANCE what so ever. I hope this gets resolved quickly and I hope you will learn, as a GM, to read Rule book and CoC and ask questions before you do something that involves tampering with other accounts. 

I remember back in the late S60s a member who shall go unnamed asked another member who shall go unnamed to earn TPE for them for a bit. Member B openly admitted to it and nothing happened (apart from their GM being shredded for it in VHLM GM chat, which is the only reason why I ever knew it happened). Similar situations have been rumored, though never proven, to happen as well. Goes to show that standards have certainly changed recently.

Do I think that this is as serious as things like the harassment bans? No. But shouldn't it be common sense that a GM doesn't do that? Uh, yeah. Imagine if it were OK--every GM in the league would be spamming their inactive players for their login info, and quite a few would get it. It's for that reason that I disagree with the notion that this is less serious than other multi-centric punishments, because the effects of a GM doing it are potentially more far-reaching (even if it wasn't in this specific case).

In short, while I appreciate the honesty and it's always good to get the full story, it was wrong and I don't see a reason to act like it was nothing. Like anything, I hope this can be resolved peacefully.