Should the VHL ever do a reboot?

Devise

I don't know if I like this idea, but it is still an idea I had none the less. How open would the league be to doing a reboot? I'm not talking about the old 90's animated kids show. I'm talking about everybody recreates a player at the same time, no recreate TPE bonus stuff, all on the same playing field and we go again. 

There would be some benefits of doing a reboot. We could close the record books on the old VHL. Ergo there is no breaking them. We could update the sim to something different and not have to worry about it interfering with changes/league history. The big fault to this would be the lack of connection current players and members have with the history of the league. You would have to find a way to tie the two eras of the VHL together so that the history would still matter.

As stated, I don't know how fond I am of this idea. I do think however that it would be very interesting for a draft, it would be very interesting to see how well some members do and put everyone on an even playing field again. It'd certainly be dramatic and I think it would draw a lot of peak interest. Whether that interest sticks around or not who knows.

What do you all think of this idea? 

One thing that could be cool would be adding on a league to the VHL where members make players from scratch and all TPE a member gets goes to both players. Maybe have only 4-6 teams so depth is more realistic.

Of course, that means more updaters and all that so it could be more trouble than it's worth.

hey remember all that monstrous hard work everybody put in to bring back the site from the dead and all those hundreds of hours spent writing media spots, creating graphics, and making podcasts? yeah just fuck off with all of that, it wasn't worth anything.

Oh, so like that time that the NHL released all players from their contracts and did one huge draft to refill the rosters, except no player who was in the NHL could rejoin. Yeah!

(Joke post, by the way. I understand that sim leagues can't be compared to the real world in ways such as this.)

I think it's a cool idea, but ultimately it would never work.

I think the biggest reason there's so much opposition is even if people recreated recently, they've put a lot of time into players in the past to gain the TPE bonus for a new character, so their past work isn't completely invalidated. Having not really looked but based off what I've heard from some of the senior members, I have to say a lot of the older members probably don't do PTs as often as they claim welfare, so those players would lag behind someone like me who's still pushing for a first character to get high TPE. I know on my other league a lot of the older players who have been around a while don't do anything extra (i.e. PbPs/PGS, some don't even do PTs or the Activity Check) because they've done it already for so long they don't bother for the small TPE gains that requires doing something they've done literally a hundred times before.

I think an alternate suggestion would be having a parallel league that would be optional for those who would be interested in doing something like this, but without everyone being forced to do it.

Even after such a short time in sim leagues the tedium of having to do weekly/sporadic PTs and everything else I can do to gain TPE is already wearing down on me, I can only imagine what a member of the league who's been doing it for 40 seasons must feel like.

New ideas are always a good thing and this and the switch to V2 are signs that the league's still trying to be active in shaking things up and that's a positive thing to see for a new member. It would help if all ideas aren't always met with such opposition though, giving things a chance could be a good thing in the end, even if it's not status quo to begin with.

• Commissioner

This was one of the options when we switched to this board. It wasn't a great idea then and it certainly won't be now.

I get that history would be retained and everything and shakeups are always fun but what happens after that first insanely deep draft? I lived through how shallow some of the early drafts were and that was with the VHL being a fresh face. If we were to need a pile of drafts now with only first gens I don't think we could do it.

At the end of the day the idea sounds fun but it creates more problems then it fixes. Hell, I'm not sure exactly what problems it does fix. Having a season 1 super draft is always fun but having it after 40 seasons isn't logical.

• Admin

If we wanted to do something like this we could do one season of it for a festivity event. Do a massive VHL fantasy draft and sim the entire season in one day and the playoffs in another 2 or 3. Otherwise this idea is just... just awful.

We have the Super Cup for that.

I've always thought the hardest part of a league's survival is the cycle. You have to reach the point where you active core base of members is recreating, at different times, to bulk up draft classes. This would make the VHL have to go through that again, as most of the players would play a full career and for 8 seasons we would have little in the way of interesting drafts.

I love inaugural drafts though.