Ahmacast with Frostbeard S88 theme week

Ahma

LINK HERE:

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ahma-vhl/episodes/Ahmacast-with-Frostbeard-S88-theme-week-e23902j

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/ahma-vhl/episodes/Ahmacast-with-Frostbeard-S88-theme-week-e23902j

00:00 intro ---> Retro talk

01:00 @Phil @Doomsday

03:00 @Beketov

05:55 @boubabi @CoachReilly @Will

13:00 @ShawnGlade @Tyler

17:00 @Alex @Ricer13

21:00 @Frank frääääänk :)

23:00 @OrbitingDeath

32:00 DOOMSDAY LOGO ARTICLE TALK article here

36:00 @hedgehog337

43:00 @Phil Questions 31st January!

48:00 @Kirby

49:00 @Jason

55:00 @Beketov

01:00:00 @Beketov

end

rip anchor

@Enorama @Advantage you guys were mentioned somewhere in the podcast like 20:00-40:00 sorry for the inconvenience

@FrostBeard we would be lucky to have you play for Calgary! I have once before tried to acquire your player but things didn’t work out. Hopefully in the future we get the opportunity so I can help change your idea of what Calgary is! 

• Commissioner

Counter argument to your "kill welfare to help retention" argument: On the one hand your point is valid that having people just click twice and then not need to do anything else means they might not try to do anything else, good for retention right? The problem is that on the other hand how many current long term members depend on that button to stay active? How many of those people just don't have the time to stay and do the full weekly tasks? You kill welfare you lose those older members. So it's not really helping retention in a way, it's just cycling older members out for newer members and even then it's only doing so in theory.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Counter argument to your "kill welfare to help retention" argument: On the one hand your point is valid that having people just click twice and then not need to do anything else means they might not try to do anything else, good for retention right? The problem is that on the other hand how many current long term members depend on that button to stay active? How many of those people just don't have the time to stay and do the full weekly tasks? You kill welfare you lose those older members. So it's not really helping retention in a way, it's just cycling older members out for newer members and even then it's only doing so in theory.

I'm mainly welfare too, so I agree with you 100%

On 5/1/2023 at 4:59 PM, Beketov said:

I think that if it came out as "Kill welfare to help retention" then I might have missed the mark. 

To give a bit more of a broad idea on this: 

Currently to get 8 TPE weekly for your VHLM player you can do Welfare + PF + PC. 
Plenty of newcomers that I have had conversations have come to me and said that they feel like doing Media spots with the current 6 TPE and needing 500 words doesn't provide enough for them to try it unless we are talking about Theme week when for 500 words you get 12 TPE. 

I am not saying that Media spots should be 8 TPE or anything like that. 

What I have been wondering is that currently, to cap out 12 TPE Cap without a league job requires you to - Write a Media spot (500 Words or Graphic) + PC + Trivia + An extra suplementary task. Certain tasks are simple and require so real preparations like Press Conference - go and answer questions, simple. But the main task - Media spot or Graphic takes more work and effort AND more importantly creativity. 

As I see it - the system could be adjusted this way: 

Media spot requires 400 words for 6 TPE. 
VHL article requires 200 words for 2 TPE. 
With graphics no changes can really be made. 

If you cap out with 12 TPE, you get a suplementary 1 TPE bonus for "Capping out". Making sure that at VHLM/VHLE level you earn 15 TPE per week and at VHL level 14. 

So what this does is makes it a bit easier to cap out (But still needs to be considerable work put it. 
Makes sure that there is a clear difference between capping out at 14 or 15 TPE versus claiming even Pension + PF which would give you 6 or 7 (8 or 9 if you add the PC) depending on where you are in your career. 

This is of course just a trail of thought and something that might be a complete bs in the end. 
Capping out feels like an acoplishment and as I see it - doing this would incentivise more people to try to cap out. 

@FrostBeard I think capping should be take a decent amount of effort. And one can have a solid career without capping. Also if too many players are TPE-addicted competitive earners, the VHL in the long run will have a salary cap issue. I agree, that activity often results in more TPE earned.

I think we need to separate the idea that only max earner are an asset/contributor to a teams success, though. There are active people in the league who are fun to interact with but do not care to max earn every week (or at all) for various reasons and there are max earners who do not interact much outside of their contribution to forum content (aka PT). And then are those who do both. I think all of the aforementioned contribute in their own way to the VHL experience and the success of their respective team.

Having said that, I appreciate that retention of players/members seems to be a cause close to your heart. It takes a village in my opinion, as I can say I mainly earned at the level I did, because I wanted the Wranglers to be a success (or at least not failing because they need to carry my sorry ass). Because GM's and other members took time of their day to help me earn more efficiently. In closing I wish to point out that retention in my humble opinion is not only about earning (though it can be an incentive for some), it is more about having an amazing community and having caring GMs in place (especially in the Minors, but not exclusively there), who find a way for their players to earn at a level they are comfortable with (and is sustainable for that individual).

7 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I think we need to separate the idea that only max earner are an asset/contributor to a teams success, though. There are active people in the league who are fun to interact with but do not care to max earn every week (or at all) for various reasons and there are max earners who do not interact much outside of their contribution to forum content (aka PT). And then are those who do both. I think all of the aforementioned contribute in their own way to the VHL experience and the success of their respective team.

I fully agree with this. There is nothing to add on that. 

7 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

In closing I wish to point out that retention in my humble opinion is not only about earning (though it can be an incentive for some), it is more about having an amazing community and having caring GMs in place (especially in the Minors, but not exclusively there), who find a way for their players to earn at a level they are comfortable with (and is sustainable for that individual).

Of course it isn't. But I do believe that earning TPE is around 25% of that. Is that 25% something we can work on? Sure. Is all the other 75% that is a thing we should work on like Mentor program, like support VHLM and VHLE as much as we can. Also sure.

In the end, I feel like talking about retention is a catch-all sort of a discussion. You have to make every effort. As I see it, the suggestion there wouldn't make everyone a max earner, however it could swing few of those lost souls that would say "Yeah, sure, I can try this out."

I also very well understand that adding that extra 1 TPE can be a bit of a problem in the end as it could swing the TPE amounts by quite a bit in the end. However as I see it, we can work on that by slightly altering Hybrid attribute system as well, which is something I believe we will need to do anyway. You might ask - so what changes you mean? 

As I see it - forwards and defencemen should have their most popular attributes like for example for forwards Offensive Awareness, Defensive Coverage and Deeking (Though you need to look at them a bit more closely to determine and I am just here putting this as an example) with a bit more of a heavy TPE increase - so in stead of the normal :
35-70 --- 1 TPE per point
70-75 --- 2 TPE per point
75-80 --- 3 TPE per point
80-90 --- 5 TPE per point
90-95 --- 8 TPE per point
95-99 --- 10 TPE per point

You could adjust it to something in the line of:

35-70 --- 1TPE
70-75 --- 3TPE
75-80 --- 5TPE
80-85 --- 8TPE
85-90 --- 12TPE
95-99 --- 18TPE 

So that your main drivers for your build is a bit tougher to get so you have to choose other attributes to compensate. 

But I guess that is a full on other discussion here. All I was trying to say is that having some Max earners is good, having more of them but not too many would be better. At least as I see it. It still would be plenty of work to put it, but it would be a tiny bit easier. 

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, FrostBeard said:

I think that if it came out as "Kill welfare to help retention" then I might have missed the mark. 

Tbh I was listening at work and only half hearing it haha 

44 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Tbh I was listening at work and only half hearing it haha 

Absolutely no worries, I am babbling most of the time anyway and I fully understand that most of my "ideas" are pretty horrible anyway. 

@Ahma ❤️

I really did my best with Davos. People loved to hate on me (some warranted, some not) but we really did build a stacked team, we even had a deep playoff run in that window. But having.....certain drama players.....and getting fucked by STHS coupled with the "meme crowd" era starting, I just couldn't take it much more and mentally checked out