Delete the E.

Spartan

13 hours ago, Spartan said:

Yeah I'm not that good with it lol. I reach out to those I'm realistically interested in, but I haven't sent those generic copy paste questions in a while now. I try to have a chat instead which is much more satisfying and personal. Props to you for talking to everyone tho

All GMs should be mandated to do what Shindigs used to do, and dedicate their entire life to the VHL

I'd like to see the league, especially the blues, give more of a shit about the VHLE before seeing stuff like this. It's been TEN fucking seasons and the VHLE STILL isn't in the Hall of Fame. No records. No award history. No banners. No stats. NOTHING. There is nothing to suggest that this league even exists in far of the grand scheme of the history of the VHLE.

Does it change anything about scouting? No. But I think it's pretty fucking hilarious that people are getting mad about a lack of effort from the VHLE when that's precisely what has been given to it from the top down since the beginning. 

Make the VHLE worth giving a shit about. 

Edited by Doomsday

2 minutes ago, Doomsday said:

It's been TEN fucking seasons and the VHLE STILL isn't in the Hall of Fame. No records. No award history. No banners. No stats. NOTHING

Tbf the E commies just finished the images for the portal slots this past season/offseason. It took 10 seasons to make the graphics for their awards, idk if I'd put it on Josh. And I love yelling at Josh to do portal things

1 minute ago, Spartan said:

Tbf the E commies just finished the images for the portal slots this past season/offseason. It took 10 seasons to make the graphics for their awards, idk if I'd put it on Josh. And I love yelling at Josh to do portal things

Maybe it's time to teach more people how to do that then. Relying on one person to do this is clearly not sustainable. 

6 minutes ago, Doomsday said:

Maybe it's time to teach more people how to do that then. Relying on one person to do this is clearly not sustainable. 

I'm not sure the point you're making. Teach more people how to make the graphics so it doesn't take 10 seasons to make them? There is a portal HOF slot for the E already....

https://vhlportal.com/hof/awards/vhle

Edited by Spartan

1 hour ago, eagle_3450 said:

All GMs should be mandated to do what Shindigs used to do, and dedicate their entire life to the VHL

I do not disagree with you, Shindigs was a terrific GM, but look where he is now... Somewhere in the middleground would be fine imo

26 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

I do not disagree with you, Shindigs was a terrific GM, but look where he is now... Somewhere in the middleground would be fine imo

Yeah we're intentionally trying to lower the burden to GM in the M so that our GM's can do their jobs to the best of their ability without burning out due to overexertion. I'm the first to tell anyone in the league, especially my own players, to slow down their earning if they can't maintain it. I'm fine with weeks off too if it means they don't associate the VHL with a chore.

@Beketov is surprisingly absent in this thread. I've thought the E shouldn't have existed since I came back. I love being a GM, but I'm basically playing NHL 23 at this point because all I do is use IAs. 

In the E it is quite literally more important to beat each other on the IA waiver wire than it is drafting. There's a reason everyone wants to trade their first round pick for seconds. The goal of the draft is typically get clickers that are active. They'll stay down longer, etc. It's a horrible system. That being said, if we kill the E @Spartan  can I have an M job?

1 hour ago, twists said:

In the E it is quite literally more important to beat each other on the IA waiver wire than it is drafting. There's a reason everyone wants to trade their first round pick for seconds. The goal of the draft is typically get clickers that are active. They'll stay down longer, etc. It's a horrible system.

Hitting the nail on the head here.

I've made it clear to a few gms who've reached out that, while I don't really understand how the systems work, I'm fully intending to forgo the VHLE if possible. I don't necessarily have any grudge against the league (even though my first time was pretty meh), I just see zero point to it whatsoever. Why should I care about playing in it? Why should the GMs care? Why should anyone? The whole point of it is to hold the stragglers for a bit before they make it to the VHL and to house the barely actives. Neither of which breeds a competitive environment.

Its easy to tell people to care but there aren't really any reasons to pay any attention. I don't have enough knowledge to give out quality ideas but I hope that some are in the works. Idk, fuck around and make the vhl/vhle a promotion league or make the vhle playoffs a double elim or march madness style. Something to make it interesting.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, jhatty8 said:

make the vhle playoffs a double elim or march madness style.

Those straight up aren’t even possible in the sim, the choice is take out of our hands on that matter aside from doing it all manually as exhibition games and not keeping any stats.

and make the vhl/vhle a promotion league

Moving teams between leagues is a nightmare with the way the portal is coded to keep track of records and such as far as I know.

4 hours ago, twists said:

@Beketov is surprisingly absent in this thread.

I was busy all day buying a car haha. Also I gave my more or less impressions on the E in the thread this morning. I enjoyed it and felt like the experience was good but obviously that’s not gonna be the experience for everyone. I do think the ACTUAL sentiment of this thread is accurate though, scouting matters and ideally scouting that isn’t just “send a google link to 30 people so they can answer a generic questionnaire.”

7 hours ago, Doomsday said:

TBF while it was a fucked up situation it was a mess of a few things. First it took a bit to track down the original graphics so we could match them, then we had to find trophy images we haven’t already used between the M and the L, then one of our lead devs left who was working on stuff, then the images got finished but there was a miscommunication so we didn’t know they were done, etc. Point is that yes, that section should have existed earlier but a lot of things went wrong to contribute to it being later than expected.

7 hours ago, Doomsday said:

a lack of effort from the VHLE when that's precisely what has been given to it from the top down since the beginning. 

Outside of the above clusterfuck how would you say we’ve given no effort to it? It’s been fighting a battle against apathy or disdain from day 1 and has continued to grow. Yes, it’s history hasn’t been maintained ideally (which is getting fixed) but we haven’t been ignoring it.

31 minutes ago, Beketov said:

make the vhle playoffs a double elim or march madness style.

Those straight up aren’t even possible in the sim, the choice is take out of our hands on that matter aside from doing it all manually as exhibition games and not keeping any stats.

and make the vhl/vhle a promotion league

Moving teams between leagues is a nightmare with the way the portal is coded to keep track of records and such as far as I know.

I don't have enough knowledge to give out quality ideas

The E was a bandaid solution to the influx of users the league housed during covid.  We no longer have this issue.  I'd like to see TPE caps and salary caps adjusted in the VHLM/VHL rather than this awkward middle league, from what I am seeing the M commies have been killing it so far so I don't think this is out of reach to get fixed up... Delete the E and expand the M...?

7 minutes ago, v.2 said:

The E was a bandaid solution to the influx of users the league housed during covid.  We no longer have this issue.  I'd like to see TPE caps and salary caps adjusted in the VHLM/VHL rather than this awkward middle league, from what I am seeing the M commies have been killing it so far so I don't think this is out of reach to get fixed up... Delete the E and expand the M...?

Could try and look at active/IA numbers across all leagues, will not be a short-term project though

• Commissioner
6 hours ago, v.2 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: expanding the M is a dangerous game. You’re thinking with how it is right now where there’s a good amount of parity and competition but we’ve seen before that expanding the M kills that, you get over half the league that just has empty rosters if recruitment has so much as a down season. Plus if you want people in the M as long as they are in the M + E right now (since going up to the VHL straight from the M cutoff you’ll get destroyed) you run into the old problem of new players getting completely ignored in favour of players that are going to stick around for 3-4 seasons.

In short you move people’s complaints about the VHLE down to the VHLM.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:17 AM, Spartan said:

I'll counteract that by publicly stating I'm looking forward to playing in the E with my recreate and not skipping it this time. I think the team brandings are neat outside Yukon and I'd be happy to play for really any of the GMs there

I knew it, the 9 season regression system sucks, this is confirmation we needed. Let's revolt!
Thank you Spart ❤️

1 hour ago, OrbitingDeath said:

I knew it, the 9 season regression system sucks, this is confirmation we needed. Let's revolt!
Thank you Spart ❤️

I mean I did 9 for shits and gigs and for an extra chance at a cup, I maintained my build and will peak over 1200 this season. I would do it the same way if I had to redo Nico's career. It's just about good planning.

Next career I'll probably go the more traditional route and experience all three leagues and be a bit less of a diva maybe 😅

Maybe scouting an entire draft class is hard alone? Maybe you need an AGM to help you? I wouldn’t have been able to scout this entire draft class if it weren’t for @Triller. If you’re a GM who isn’t scouting players you have no excuse at all. And if you need it, reach out if you need help! We all get busy and sometimes your schedule doesn’t magically open around draft day.

Also if you’re a GM in any of our three leagues you should be in the community daily, learning new faces and being involved with the people around you. Your job isn’t click buttons for IA signings and submit lines. Scouting should be easy when you’ve already seen the names of our members around the league everyday.