VSN Presents: S89 VHL Mid-Season Award Race

Alex

@leandrofg  - also @Frank and @kirbithan

Hey everyone, and welcome to the S89 VHL Mid-Season award projections! I understand that the vote went up a week ago and as a result different players have made a push, I will do my best to cover them as well if it is warranted.

Alexander Beketov Trophy (most assists)

:dav:Jake Thunder @Thunder - 49 assists

Kevin Brooks Trophy (most goals)

:prg: John Jameson @Frank - 28 goals

Mike Szatkowski Trophy (most points)

:prg: John Jameson and :mos: Ronan Lavelle @Arce - 59 points

Greg Clegane Trophy

:mos: Clueless Wallob @DMaximus - 2.25 GAA

Aiden Shaw Trophy

Alex’s Pick: :mos: Clueless Wallob - 0.935 SV%, 2.25 GAA

Just as I started writing this I realized that I accidentally left the Shaw off of the vote, but none the less as of right now Clueless Wallob would be without a doubt the winner as they currently lead the league in SV% and GAA, the closest behind them would be Joel Castle @animal74, who has the same SV% and trails them slightly in GAA.

Christian Stolzschweiger Trophy

Favourite: :nya: Jesper Davis @Josh - 16 goals, 20 assists, 36 points

Vote Results: Davis 7, Calaway 5, Dilson 1

Jesper Davis has had a rookie season to remember and one of the better ones so far in the hybrid era. Should they keep up this pace the ROTY is all but their unless Mark Calaway @Beketov can get within 10 or so points at the end of the season as with them being a defensemen it could make it pretty close. 

Dustin Funk Trophy

Favourite: :dav: Alexander Leduc @Lemorse7 - 61 -> on pace for 102

Vote Results: Leduc 2, Kowalski 1, Lampi 1, Jameson 1, Strasmore 1, Frenchman 1, Greg 1, VLG 1, Trunov 1

The Funk is always a tough one to predict as so many players have taken big steps forward, Leduc was the only player to receive multiple votes in this instance and is currently on pace for their first career 100+ point season. Brian Kowalski @Wheaties, and Elias Lampi @Pifferfish have both taken a huge step this season, however, this award could very well come down to one of Hockley mann @Sen, or Vincent Laroche-Gagnier @vincentlg2007 as they have both quickly became a top player in the league.

Scott Boulet Trophy 

Favourite: :rig: Vasile Lamb @dlamb - 36 points, 189 hits

Vote Results: Lamb 6, Laperriere 4, Abass 2, Dixon 1

Alex’s Pick: :rig: Larry Abass Jr @RileyL - 46 points, 208 hits

The Scott Boulet is always an interesting trophy each season, and this season saw the early emergence of Vasile Lamb, however Larry Abass Jr seems to have run away with it of late. Realistically it could come down to Abass and Parry Laperriere @KaleebtheMighty, just depends how you weight 12 points vs. 43 hits.

Alexander Valiq Trophy

Favourite: :rig: Brian Kowalski - 12 goals, 37 assists, 49 points

Vote Results: Kowalski 7, Payne 3, Thunder 3

Alex’s Pick: :dav: Jake Thunder - 9 goals, 49 assists, 58 points

This one changed really quickly, as Kowalski was leading defensemen scoring for some time. However, a recent run of good form from Jake Thunder has turned things quickly as they now have a 9 point lead over Kowalski. Usually this trophy goes to the highest scoring defensemen, unless there’s a large gap in the number of goals.

Jake Wylde Trophy

Favourite: :rig: Brian Kowalski - 124 hits, 133 SB, +3

Vote Results: Kowalski 5, Thunder 4, McFleury 3, Voss 1

If Kowalski can maintain their strong defensive play, there is no reason why they don’t pick up the Wylde, and they already have a 21 SB lead over Biggie Cheese @a_Ferk who sits in 2nd at 112 SB. At this point the only thing that could realistically hurt his chances would be plus/minus.

Sterling Labatte Trophy

Favourite: :rig: Brian Kowalski - 49 points, 124 hits, 133 SB, +3

Vote Results: Kowalski 6, Payne 4, Thunder 2, Strasmore 1

Alex’s Pick: :dav: Jake Thunder - 58 points, 133 hits, 103 SB, +14

Similarly to the Valiq, the Labatte has also seen a massive shift recently, but it could be closer with Kowalski’s defensive play making up a bit of the gap. With Thunder having a considerable lead in points and hits, give them a slight edge over Kowalski at this point, although it is very close to a 50/50.

David Knight Trophy

Favourite: :dav: Davos (32-6-3) / :mos: Moscow (28-10-3)

Vote Results: Davos 4, Moscow 4, London 2, Prague 1, Riga 1, New York 1

Alex’s Pick: :mos: Moscow (28-10-3)

The Knight is often a combination of team success and players acquired, and while on paper Davos and Moscow are neck and neck, and both teams have made at least 1 massive trade with Davos acquiring Skor McFleury @Alex, and Moscow bringing in all of Clueless Wallob, Jason @Jason kranz, and Deron Nesbitt @AW13. With that in mind, it’s hard not to give Moscow the edge right now.

Brett Slobodzian Trophy

Favourite: :prg: John Jameson - 28 goals, 59 points / :mos: Clueless Wallob - 0.935 SV%, 2.25 GAA

Vote Results: Jameson 5, Wallob 5, Janser 1, Kowalski 1, Wolanin 1

Alex’s Pick: :dav: Jake Thunder - 58 points, 133 hits, 103 SB, +14

Both John Jameson and Clueless Wallob have had spectacular seasons to date, with 59 points and a 0.935 SV% respectively. In my opinion I have to give Jake Thunder a slight edge here as a defensemen within 1 point of the league lead is incredible. Goalies on the other hand are all very close together which makes it unlikely for a goalie to come out on top here.

Scotty Campbell Trophy

Favourite: :mos: Clueless Wallob - 0.935 SV%, 2.25 GAA

Vote Results: Wallob 6, Jameson 5, Janser 1, Frenchman 1

Alex’s Pick: :sea: Randy Bobandy @AJW - 12 goals, 44 assists, 56 points

MVP is always a tough vote as not only player performance has to be taken into account, but impact on team success has to be considered as well. With that in mind, Clueless Wallob’s chances have taken a bit of a hit recently with Ronan Lavelle being tied for 1st in points, as a result it’s very hard to ignore Randy Bobandy who is currently 7th in points (56), but also has put Seattle on their back this season and has 12 more points than their next closest teammate. This race could get closer as the season moves on, but right now it looks like Bobandy’s to lose.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

This race could get closer as the season moves on, but right now it looks like Bobandy’s to lose.

Just got moved to the first line, those are all second line stats 😭 RIP

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, Alex said:

Jesper Davis has had a rookie season to remember and one of the better ones so far in the hybrid era. Should they keep up this pace the ROTY is all but their unless Mark Calaway @Beketov can get within 10 or so points at the end of the season as with them being a defensemen it could make it pretty close. 

@Josh can you just finally let me break the curse Sharpe started 16 years ago? I’ve never remotely come close to the Stolzy.

• Commissioner
16 hours ago, Beketov said:

@Josh can you just finally let me break the curse Sharpe started 16 years ago? I’ve never remotely come close to the Stolzy.

Feels like you end up beating me out on something every season so maybe it's my curse that shall be broken.

jk it's definitely yours 😢