VHLM All Star Selections

LucyXpher

With Season 92 now past its halfway point and the trade deadline one week away, it's a natural time to consider which VHLM players have been most important to their teams so far.  It is the opinion of this writer that the VHL/VHLE/VHLM should have All-Star Games and in lieu of official selections, I decided to make my own selections and put together two All-Star rosters for the VHLM. 

The Format: I envision the VHLM All-Star Game as a 3-on-3 contest because that format seems best suited to showcasing the skills of the most talented players in the league.  I selected one team each for the VHLM's Western and Eastern Conferences.  Each team consists of 12 skaters and 3 goalies-- that's 8 forwards and 4 defenders making up 4 lines. I would propose playing a 45 minute game with 3 periods at 15 minutes each.  

The Selections: I think any good All-Star roster should include players from every team in the league, but should ideally not omit any players who deserve to be there.  Thankfully, it was possible to create these lineups with at least two deserving representatives from each team (at least one skater), and no more than four from any single team.  There were inevitably a few deserving players that needed to be left off to make up these numbers and I will recognize them at the end.  Choosing goalies was the hardest because it's very difficult to compare their performances with drastic variations in games played and team quality.  I chose 20 games played as the minimum threshold for goalies who were selected, which unfortunately eliminated some goalies who have performed well in a small sample size.  I ordered the roster lists below by position and team alphabetically.

VHLM Western Conference All-Stars:

Houston Bulls - (RW) Trimiskez Artav @jake - 21G-32A-53P
Las Vegas Aces - (RW) Elle Aura Ashe @Lynersify - 22G-29A-51P
Saskatoon Wild - (RW) Annie Oaks @Noodle Enjoyer - 24G-25A-49P
Las Vegas Aces - (LW) Stinky @taylorherd - 27G-26A-53P
Mexico City Kings - (LW) Loona Buckzo @WildfireMicro - 20G-25A-45P
San Diego Marlins - (LW) Jean-Pierre Devote @eagle_3450 - 31G-30A-61P*
San Diego Marlins - (LW) Dwight Shcrute @Jamomayo - 25G-30A-55P
Saskatoon Wild - (LW) Forum Content @frescoelmo - 20G-41A-61P

Houston Bulls - (D) Lucy Leitner @LucyXpher- 9G-35A-44P
Houston Bulls - (D) Benjamin Abenduct @Schnee - 9G-33A-42P
Las Vegas Aces - (D) Bric Sheithaus @Oldhead91 - 11G-42A-53P
Mexico City Kings - (D) Free Gorlab @eaglesfan036 - 17G-27A-44P

Houston Bulls - (G) Ondrej Vencko @Mutti - .890%, 3.06GAA, 15W
Mexico City Kings - (G) Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen @Snussu - .899%, 2.68GAA, 21W
San Diego Marlins - (G) Samuel Wazinski @samthemancub - .914%, 2.47GAA, 26W

VHLM Eastern Conference All-Stars:

Halifax 21st - (C) Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica - 26G-23A-49P
Mississauga Hounds - (C) Wernher von Braun @Prof. Zach Enron - 21G-18A-39P
Ottawa Lynx - (RW) Ivan Ivanov @KmaddFPS - 24G-34A-48P
Ottawa Lynx - (RW) Steve French @Seabass - 26G-24A-50P
Philadelphia Reapers - (RW) Yermolai Nabokov @fonziGG - 26G-33A-59P
Halifax 21st - (LW) Aanarsi Reingaard @Laine - 23G-21A-44P
Miami Marauders - (LW) Matthew Highmore @NineIQ v2 - 24G-26A-50P
Ottawa Lynx - (LW) Wayne Shotzky @Kenamatic - 27G-30A-57P

Miami Marauders - (D) Bilbo Teebaggins @SackButter - 12G-34A-46P
Miami Marauders - (D) Pierre Ennis @DeciBell4 - 8G-28A-36P
Philadelphia Reapers - (D) Enn Jinn @jhatty8 - 14G-37A-51P
Philadelphia Reapers - (D) Magni Jinn @DontCallMeCarson- 7G-34A-41P

Miami Marauders - (G) Shaunca @shaun1979 - .888%, 2.72GAA, 1SO, 20W
Mississauga Hounds - (G) Marc-Andre Fleury @ElementStyx9 - .907%, 3.45GAA, 8W
Philadelphia Reapers - (G) Jorgen Lovstrom @Pifferfish - .919%, 2.35GAA, 1SO,27W

Notable Omissions:

Houston Bulls - (LW) Chris Reynolds Jr @Crstats23 - 20G-20A-40P

Miami Marauders - (RW) Leon Bruhmaninho @BigBruhman - 13G-28A-41P
Philadelphia Reapers - (C) Taylor Swift @lilchrist - 13G-29A-42P
Philadelphia Reapers - (RW) beaubeau primetime @Bobo - 18G-23A-41P
San Diego Marlins - (C) Adam @Adam Ma - 11G-37A-48P

In addition to selecting All-Star teams from the Western and Eastern Conferences, I also wanted to recognize the top players from the entire league in a All-VHLM Team lineup.  For this full lineup of five skaters and a goalie, I selected the best players from each particular position (LW, C, RW, D, G).

All-VHLM First Team

(LW) Forum Content - (C) Antonia Bucatini - (RW) Yermolai Nabokov
(D) Bric Sheithaus - (D) Bilbo Teebaggins
(G) Jorgen Lovstrom

Congratulations to all of the above players on their very successful seasons to this point.  I think having an actual simulated All-Star Game would be a lot of fun just to see how combinations of the top players produce alongside each other.  I apologize to anyone who felt they should be included on the list.  There were a lot of deserving players and a number I listed who just didn't fit based on the criteria, despite having All-Star worthy seasons.  Adam, for example, centers possibly the hottest line in the VHLM right now between Devote and Shcrute.  I really wanted to include him but couldn't justify dropping another player.  

If you saw things differently or have other players you want to shout out, please feel free to tag them in a reply so they can also be recognized!  

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

02/04/24 -  Theme Week: All-Star

Edited by LucyXpher
*missed some points and games for Devote which I've added to his point total

4 hours ago, eagle_3450 said:

Isn’t he above 60 rn? Still sick to be selected tho lol, W article

You are correct!  The leaders page doesn't actually give you credit for your points with Mississauga in the totals which is very strange, only for points with SDM...  I have to actually go to your player page and combine them manually to get your actual point total.  Sorry for missing that, adjusted the article accordingly!  Probably would have considered you more strongly for 1st team honors too had I noticed that.  You're having a great season, congrats!

Edited by LucyXpher

Review

This media spot was great as the formatting of the article was good. The word selections were also great. I liked how you listed every single player's stats.  The All-VHLM first-team squad you assembled did include the best players in the league. Your writing quality is also at an extremely high level, but you don't need to be at a high reading level to understand it. That is a skill that many great writers lack, and you do not.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:12 PM, LucyXpher said:

You are correct!  The leaders page doesn't actually give you credit for your points with Mississauga in the totals which is very strange, only for points with SDM...  I have to actually go to your player page and combine them manually to get your actual point total.  Sorry for missing that, adjusted the article accordingly!  Probably would have considered you more strongly for 1st team honors too had I noticed that.  You're having a great season, congrats!

idk why but it is something to do with the index having Mississauga Devote and San Diego Devote as 2 different people

16 minutes ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

Even tho this is for theme week I would love to see you do this every season

Would be happy to do it!  Maybe an opportunity to write for VSN in the future and do it a little bit more officially lol! But I had fun doing it for this theme week anyway.  Thanks! 

8 hours ago, LucyXpher said:

Would be happy to do it!  Maybe an opportunity to write for VSN in the future and do it a little bit more officially lol! But I had fun doing it for this theme week anyway.  Thanks! 

I do a seasonly article(s) that started last season that people liked (That i still need to do for last season) and just get that nice tpe

On 1/29/2024 at 2:06 PM, LucyXpher said:

With Season 92 now past its halfway point and the trade deadline one week away, it's a natural time to consider which VHLM players have been most important to their teams so far.  It is the opinion of this writer that the VHL/VHLE/VHLM should have All-Star Games and in lieu of official selections, I decided to make my own selections and put together two All-Star rosters for the VHLM. 

The Format: I envision the VHLM All-Star Game as a 3-on-3 contest because that format seems best suited to showcasing the skills of the most talented players in the league.  I selected one team each for the VHLM's Western and Eastern Conferences.  Each team consists of 12 skaters and 3 goalies-- that's 8 forwards and 4 defenders making up 4 lines. I would propose playing a 45 minute game with 3 periods at 15 minutes each.  

The Selections: I think any good All-Star roster should include players from every team in the league, but should ideally not omit any players who deserve to be there.  Thankfully, it was possible to create these lineups with at least two deserving representatives from each team (at least one skater), and no more than four from any single team.  There were inevitably a few deserving players that needed to be left off to make up these numbers and I will recognize them at the end.  Choosing goalies was the hardest because it's very difficult to compare their performances with drastic variations in games played and team quality.  I chose 20 games played as the minimum threshold for goalies who were selected, which unfortunately eliminated some goalies who have performed well in a small sample size.  I ordered the roster lists below by position and team alphabetically.

VHLM Western Conference All-Stars:

Houston Bulls - (RW) Trimiskez Artav @jake - 21G-32A-53P
Las Vegas Aces - (RW) Elle Aura Ashe @Lynersify - 22G-29A-51P
Saskatoon Wild - (RW) Annie Oaks @Noodle Enjoyer - 24G-25A-49P
Las Vegas Aces - (LW) Stinky @taylorherd - 27G-26A-53P
Mexico City Kings - (LW) Loona Buckzo @WildfireMicro - 20G-25A-45P
San Diego Marlins - (LW) Jean-Pierre Devote @eagle_3450 - 31G-30A-61P*
San Diego Marlins - (LW) Dwight Shcrute @Jamomayo - 25G-30A-55P
Saskatoon Wild - (LW) Forum Content @frescoelmo - 20G-41A-61P

Houston Bulls - (D) Lucy Leitner @LucyXpher- 9G-35A-44P
Houston Bulls - (D) Benjamin Abenduct @Schnee - 9G-33A-42P
Las Vegas Aces - (D) Bric Sheithaus @Oldhead91 - 11G-42A-53P
Mexico City Kings - (D) Free Gorlab @eaglesfan036 - 17G-27A-44P

Houston Bulls - (G) Ondrej Vencko @Mutti - .890%, 3.06GAA, 15W
Mexico City Kings - (G) Aleksanteri Kaskiniemi-Kekkonen @Snussu - .899%, 2.68GAA, 21W
San Diego Marlins - (G) Samuel Wazinski @samthemancub - .914%, 2.47GAA, 26W

VHLM Eastern Conference All-Stars:

Halifax 21st - (C) Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica - 26G-23A-49P
Mississauga Hounds - (C) Wernher von Braun @Prof. Zach Enron - 21G-18A-39P
Ottawa Lynx - (RW) Ivan Ivanov @KmaddFPS - 24G-34A-48P
Ottawa Lynx - (RW) Steve French @Seabass - 26G-24A-50P
Philadelphia Reapers - (RW) Yermolai Nabokov @fonziGG - 26G-33A-59P
Halifax 21st - (LW) Aanarsi Reingaard @Laine - 23G-21A-44P
Miami Marauders - (LW) Matthew Highmore @NineIQ v2 - 24G-26A-50P
Ottawa Lynx - (LW) Wayne Shotzky @Kenamatic - 27G-30A-57P

Miami Marauders - (D) Bilbo Teebaggins @SackButter - 12G-34A-46P
Miami Marauders - (D) Pierre Ennis @DeciBell4 - 8G-28A-36P
Philadelphia Reapers - (D) Enn Jinn @jhatty8 - 14G-37A-51P
Philadelphia Reapers - (D) Magni Jinn @DontCallMeCarson- 7G-34A-41P

Miami Marauders - (G) Shaunca @shaun1979 - .888%, 2.72GAA, 1SO, 20W
Mississauga Hounds - (G) Marc-Andre Fleury @ElementStyx9 - .907%, 3.45GAA, 8W
Philadelphia Reapers - (G) Jorgen Lovstrom @Pifferfish - .919%, 2.35GAA, 1SO,27W

Notable Omissions:

Houston Bulls - (LW) Chris Reynolds Jr @Crstats23 - 20G-20A-40P

Miami Marauders - (RW) Leon Bruhmaninho @BigBruhman - 13G-28A-41P
Philadelphia Reapers - (C) Taylor Swift @lilchrist - 13G-29A-42P
Philadelphia Reapers - (RW) beaubeau primetime @Bobo - 18G-23A-41P
San Diego Marlins - (C) Adam @Adam Ma - 11G-37A-48P

In addition to selecting All-Star teams from the Western and Eastern Conferences, I also wanted to recognize the top players from the entire league in a All-VHLM Team lineup.  For this full lineup of five skaters and a goalie, I selected the best players from each particular position (LW, C, RW, D, G).

All-VHLM First Team

(LW) Forum Content - (C) Antonia Bucatini - (RW) Yermolai Nabokov
(D) Bric Sheithaus - (D) Bilbo Teebaggins
(G) Jorgen Lovstrom

Congratulations to all of the above players on their very successful seasons to this point.  I think having an actual simulated All-Star Game would be a lot of fun just to see how combinations of the top players produce alongside each other.  I apologize to anyone who felt they should be included on the list.  There were a lot of deserving players and a number I listed who just didn't fit based on the criteria, despite having All-Star worthy seasons.  Adam, for example, centers possibly the hottest line in the VHLM right now between Devote and Shcrute.  I really wanted to include him but couldn't justify dropping another player.  

If you saw things differently or have other players you want to shout out, please feel free to tag them in a reply so they can also be recognized!  

Lauren Lambert for VHL.com

02/04/24 -  Theme Week: All-Star

Review

Really good media spot Lucy, I loved the attention to detail with it and all of the work you put in to find the information. Firstly I really like the selections you made and believe that they are very true to how this season has played out up to this point. I really liked how you put the stats of the players next to their names to help give the reader a better understanding of why they were chosen for your all star team.

Rating 10/10

On 1/29/2024 at 11:12 PM, LucyXpher said:

Oh I know this is like way way late ... But I believe if you use the actual index it shows total season long stats... Could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure last I checked it did.

6 hours ago, Pifferfish said:

Oh I know this is like way way late ... But I believe if you use the actual index it shows total season long stats... Could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure last I checked it did.

I have since realized this lol and will be using the index for any future inquiries.  Thanks though!