VHL Magazine Power Poll - GM Selection Process

Toast

VHL Magazine Power Poll  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When it comes to finding a new GM for a VHL team, it's usually up to the GM who is stepping down to choose his/her successor. Most of the time, this seems to run smoothly. But there are other times when it doesn't quite go that way.

When there was the need for a new GM in Toronto, Jaladolar was called upon to have his moment. He had quite the successful run in the VHLM, but his VHL run couldn't really have gone worse.

Jala was stripped of his position a few days ago and was replaced with Molholt as Jala had gone inactive (despite remaining active on other sites). Usually a GM is given a chance to bounce back from a spout of inactivity, but it seems that the league wanted to act quickly this time around as Jala really hadn't proven himself as a VHL GM yet.

So for the next Power Poll, I want to know what you all think about the GM selection process. Should the Blue Team look to posting detailed apps for the GM positions? While it will be more work, this would pretty much guarantee that someone who has interest in the position and the league as a whole will be taking the position. Hopefully avoiding situations like this one.

So what would you like to see? Should exiting GMs continue to choose their successors? Should the league be posting job interviews for the positions (More of an app process, not like the thread to find Jala's replacement)? Or should they find another method not listed?

Make sure to comment with your votes! Best of luck with the change of management, Toronto!

An application process ensures someone who is interested, but also gives the blue team the power to select who they believe is going to be the best option - something they won't always get right, but then at least it is in their hands and not the hands of the leaving GM. They could still give preference to interested applicants who are on the team though.

I think they're should be a more set in stone process with actual rules:

i.e.

1. if external candidate takes over for GM, prior GM becomes free agent or draftee (so as to not unfairly benefit the team receiving a new GM + whatever they can get by trading prior GM. for instance, let's say for Davos' next GM, i recreate and 1-2 seasons later i name an external successor with league approval. Davos would also be able to trade me for a gain... even if I can't stay on Davos).

2. any external candidate's GM must be contacted and dealt with prior to discussion with new team, etc.

3. no bushito's

IMO, the application process for a general manager position should be an independent process from the actual GM selection process.  That way, the BOG or blue team or whomever gets to create a pool of suitable candidates, and current GM's can determine (prior to stepping down, ideally) if they need to make adjustments (ie., trades, draft, etc...) to assure that someone who takes over is actually someone that the league endorses.

Edited by frescoelmo

It should be a combination that should be done on a case by case basis. There's not reason to not allow GMs to select their successors and hire from within because that often can provide a seamless transition. At the same time, all potential GMs should be vetted by the BoG, even if they are suggested by a resigning GM. In these cases, there should be some sort of interview process. In fact, the BoG should already know who strong potential candidates for a GM position are at any given time. And there should never be a reason for the BoG to reach out to anyone to see if they want to be a GM. If a previous GM does not select a successor, there should absolutely be an application process and only those who apply should be eligible. Trying to sway someone to become a GM is a recipe for disaster. It's a position someone has to want and be committed to because it's a shit ton of work to do well.

• Admin

IMO, the application process for a general manager position should be an independent process from the actual GM selection process.  That way, the BOG or blue team or whomever gets to create a pool of suitable candidates, and current GM's can determine (prior to stepping down, ideally) if they need to make adjustments (ie., trades, draft, etc...) to assure that someone who takes over is actually someone that the league endorses.

HOLY FUCKING SIG BATMAN

An internal solution with a veto right for the blue team should be the usual method. When there are no good replacements available though and a GM steps down without naming a successor then I think there should be an open applications process instead of the system we have right now where the BoG more or less arbitrarily considers a few people they like and then chooses one of them.

Teams should always have the option to lead, make decisions, and workout the new GM. The blue team should only be used in cases where the current GM is unable or when asked for support by the GM. I understand the whole wanting to do what's best for the league and the league is bigger than 1 team thing. Bad things happen in real life and blemishes build character, drama, activity, story, and history that makes the VHL what it is. Scouring the VHL for the best person each time handled by the BoG or Admins is just the wrong way to go.

I voted other. While I agree teams should always have the option to make decision to find a new gm, especially internally I think it should be done with the approval and opinion of the Blue Team at least, and the BoG if necessary. 

Not because I think that the weight and opinions of Blue Team and BoG matter so much as to ensure we get the best candidate possible. Not just best in terms of who will make a quality GM either. The fact is we shouldn't be allowing another Bushito situation again, and if the current GM intends to promote someone from within who seems likely to flake, retires consistently or has issues staying active I feel some oversight regarding that decision would be wise. 

In a best case scenario the Blue Team goes over good internal options with a GM, and the people on the team interested. If no internal options are present I feel it's a GM's duty to try to stick it out until either one does come available, or until a fair solution regarding obtaining a player out of team (waiting for someone to recreate so as to not mess up a draft class for example) presents itself. 

Uh how about give your boy a chance, dur. Shoulda had Seattle but they give it to Bushito. Shoulda had Toronto, but they gave it to Jala. Ya see where im going here?

Uh how about give your boy a chance, dur. Shoulda had Seattle but they give it to Bushito. Shoulda had Toronto, but they gave it to Jala. Ya see where im going here?

So what you are saying is junk should get it next in Calgary? I'm not okay with that.