The Chat System

Will

Lol @ people immediately talking about setting up a tinychat or chatzy to make up for this. If a large reason for the removal is to rejuvenate the forums by basically forcing conversations to end up here (also lol @ the idea that everything we used the chat system for would be something we'd post on forums, yeah I'm gonna ask how peoples' personal lives are on the forums... not), then why the hell would making a chatzy be a good idea? Yeah, I get that cost was another (bigger) factor, and if that was all then I understand that. But let's not pretend that there's other reasons (more posts on the forum) while simultaneously trying to figure out ways to circumvent forums (again).

That said, that's unfortunately the final nail in the coffin for me. I only ever came on here within the last handful of months to chat with Eagles, Draper, Higgins, a couple choice others, and look for Gorlab when he wasn't in my chatzy. I haven't had fun here in a long time, I've voiced concerns quite a bit, and it's just not for me anymore. Good luck with the site in the future, and hope whatever system replaces the chat is well received by those still around.

With all due respect, you can barely call "no longer chatting with five members" the final nail in the coffin. For them, sure. But I'd say the final nail in the coffin is when you actually left two months ago. I'm sorry to see you go, but it's kind of silly to try and give others the impression that the chat was the only thing keeping you here, when you weren't actually here.

That would be like if the SHL disabled email notifications for PMs, and I decided to go over there and say, "I have to say guys, I really disapprove of this decision. I haven't had time or desire to be in the SHL for three-ish years now, but being aware of PMs on my inactive account was literally the only reason I came here, and now that I no longer know I get PMs I will no longer come here. Thus, this decision obviously is chasing away members."

Anywho, it's a shame the chat is gone, it was definitely a cool and unique feature. But not updating software for too long can have its own set of problems. Also in general, its loss is being blown out of proportion. It's a feature most people don't even know they want, and eventually it will return that way. We'll survive. If it's really THAT much of a loss, it'll eventually make a comeback. Or maybe MSN will make a comeback instead :P . #MSN2016

On a side note, I can't even believe GMs preferred chat for negotiating. PMs are nicer imo, or at the very least a REAL IM client. They compel better grammar, the details of the negotiation don't disappear after 24 hours, negotiations can take place whenever I come and go, and I don't have to wait for other GMs to log on.

• Senior Admin

Will see what the upgrades are like before completely judging, but chat was one of the only major things I had this league over the SHL in.

There is a reason other leagues don't have it though and it isn't because it's some exclusive thing, it's really easy to obtain and install, but it's a logistical nightmare for the reasons already posted and that's why you don't see it on many forums. 

I never used the thing, I don't really like chatboxes but see the value in person-to-person IMs on the board. But really just a question: Does the upgraded IPB version not have any sort of separate instant messaging system that isn't the one we currently have or an outside thing like chatzy? I feel like that's something that could have been built custom somewhere quite easily.

• Senior Admin

I never used the thing, I don't really like chatboxes but see the value in person-to-person IMs on the board. But really just a question: Does the upgraded IPB version not have any sort of separate instant messaging system that isn't the one we currently have or an outside thing like chatzy? I feel like that's something that could have been built custom somewhere quite easily.

They have a shoutbox type thing built in. From what I understand, the problem with IM systems is that, in order for them to be instant, there has to be a constant flow of shit between each user's computer and the server. This uses a lot of resources and puts a lot of strain on the server, which is why the chats cause problems. In one of the other threads, I pointed to the fact that IPB actually told us to remove the chat a year ago because we were causing issues for other sites who shared our server. 

So no, they likely will never build this type of thing. It's convenient, yes, but when you really look at it, it's not the most practical thing to have on a relatively small forum and that's why you hardly ever see any forums using them. 

• Senior Admin

Lol @ people immediately talking about setting up a tinychat or chatzy to make up for this. If a large reason for the removal is to rejuvenate the forums by basically forcing conversations to end up here (also lol @ the idea that everything we used the chat system for would be something we'd post on forums, yeah I'm gonna ask how peoples' personal lives are on the forums... not), then why the hell would making a chatzy be a good idea? Yeah, I get that cost was another (bigger) factor, and if that was all then I understand that. But let's not pretend that there's other reasons (more posts on the forum) while simultaneously trying to figure out ways to circumvent forums (again).

That said, that's unfortunately the final nail in the coffin for me. I only ever came on here within the last handful of months to chat with Eagles, Draper, Higgins, a couple choice others, and look for Gorlab when he wasn't in my chatzy. I haven't had fun here in a long time, I've voiced concerns quite a bit, and it's just not for me anymore. Good luck with the site in the future, and hope whatever system replaces the chat is well received by those still around.

I would encourage you to check back with us once the upgrade is complete as, without getting anyones hopes up to high, the prospects of a decent alternative are looking good.

Curiously enough, I've been using chat more ever since going to a job that has an internet browser that allows it lol. Now its pretty useful esepcially when I'm yelling at Riggins to update rosters or just talking to Phil or Flyers or just something random like when an SHLer msgs me about SHL to check in haha.

I was actually a big anti-chat guy in the beginning cause i never used it but now that its gone, I kind of miss it.

Less laggy on my browser though and I'm assuming the commishes looked the cost/benefit long enough to warrant the removal + site upgrades.

I understand wanting to rid of it if it's a big cost, but with the amount of donations this site gets... did it really cost that much to be an issue?

The blow and hoes don't go to waste with this new policy.

Yay now I can sext Fong again......I mean chat with him

What goes on in league...stays in league.

That being said, you get Riven bunny suit for tonight? ;)

Edited by tfong