Higgins Ranks ~ S51 Free Agents

Higgins

Higgins Ranks ~ S51 Free Agents

Since my opinion means so much more than anyone else on the VHL, I will share my vast knowledge and theories with the rest of the league because deep down I am a good guy. This week I will rank the best players that are unsigned for Season 51, therefore will be free agents this upcoming off-season. There is still a lot of time before that for these players to get signed, but I will not consider that as an option for the sake of being interesting and controversial. With the Season 51 VHL Draft being touted as one of the worst in a while, maybe the Season 51 Free Agency period will be one of the most memorable, ever.

3358.png

:col:TYSON KOHLER :col:

Coming in at number five is the 4th overall draft pick of the Cologne Express at the S48 Draft. Tyson Kohler has slowly been carving out a niche on the Cologne Express as one of the top wingers on the team, and as the team looks to push for a championship he has become a huge part of their success. This is the earliest that he could test free agency, and would be a hot commodity just for that reason. Kohler currently has 561 training hours and as he enters his prime for S51, I don't doubt that at all ten teams would be interested due to his age.

4241.png

:tor: ZACH PARECHKIN :tor:

Zach Parechkin picked up three major awards last season and is currently one of the best players in the league. A skilled winger that can literally do it all, score, pass, and hit. Yes hitting is a big part of Parechkin's game and he will no doubt be a favorite for the Boulet Trophy as the leagues top two way forward for the foreseeable future. He currently has 761 training hours and isn't looking to slow down at all as he still has three more seasons of eligibility. Oh did I also mention that he has a winning pedigree, with two Continental Cups on his resume already.

2416.png

:que: ALEKSI KOPONEN :que:

With two Continental Cup rings to his name already, Koponen is really only lacking the personal hardware that many Hall of Fame caliber forward needs. Therefore it wouldn't be a long shot to consider Koponen going to a team just emerging from a rebuild to be the main star and hopefully contribute on the majority of goals as a leader and potential most valuable player. He ranks in at number three on my list as he has 2 more seasons and will be the highest TPE forward for his 'veteran' contract years at a discount price of 4.5 million. Last season Koponen had a breakout season and shows no signs of slowing down so managers won't be worried about his age or depreciation.

4684.png

:tor:BLACK VELVET :tor:

The runner up is the only defenseman on the rankings, which really helped move him up the list as positional demand is a key factor in free agency. In the VHL it's no secret that offense usually wins championships, but every team needs that number one defenseman. With 640 training hours, Black Velvet will be one of the best defenseman for the next five seasons as he is just exiting his entry level contract with the Toronto Legion who drafted him first overall in Season 48. Like others on this list, Velvet has won a championship and could consider chasing personal awards to build his legacy for a potential hall of fame career, so both rebuilding teams and contenders will be in on this defenseman.

4472.png

:que:UNASSISTED :que:

The top spot on my rankings this week belongs to Quebec's Unassisted. He was drafted by Quebec in the Season 48 Draft at second overall and is about to hit his stride as he is just entering his prime age. I predict that Unassisted would be the most coveted free agent on the market this off-season for a variety of reasons. He is an elite number one centerman with 614 training hours, a position that is needed by every team in the league, and he is entering his first season of UFA eligibility. It is a rare occurrence that a player enters the free agent pool after only three seasons so Unassisted will likely be contacted by all ten teams and will be the poster boy of the S51 free agent frenzy. Unassisted will be hungry for a championship and a feedbag, a win-win situation.

Honorable Mentions

Greg Clegane, Jeff Hamilton, LeAndre St. Pierre, World B. Free,  Shawn Muller and Sean Blacker

I actually see a good number of these guys going to FA. Who knows what Toronto will do after retirements, I'm skeptical at Quebec keeping everyone in line, and Cologne's posse may be too expensive. If I've got youngish guys on the cusp like Seattle, Riga or Helsinki in particular, I'm salivating.

Quite a few great FA's... Bears are very excited for the off season! Have some great pieces now - some good pieces for the S52 draft and hopefully NYA continues to give us a top pick for S51.

• Commissioner

So Kohler, Unassisted and Velvet can come to the Bears and we'll have the top 4 picks from S48. Seems like a pretty good idea to me :)

Edited by Beketov