Worst trade ever?

hedgehog337

This thread was made thanks to @gregreg's in CGY/HSK trade topic. That trade indeed was weird - giving a first + 2 stud players for a promising goalie doesn't helps Calgary in the future. But was that the worst trade ever, or Greg is just overreacting? Like I can name another weird trade, like giving Apollo Skye for basically nothing, which fucks Davos up now.

Or is there even worse trade? Post them up, please.

The Davos/Quebec trade with Skye doesn't really deserve mentioning here. Without any context it doesn't look good, but when you consider he had an expiring contract, Davos not looking to compete anytime soon and the other competing teams not necessarily needing goalies, it's an understandable trade.

That's the key part of analyzing trades historically, was there any additional context as to why a team got less than face value? Like there was a three-way trade I was involved in where I traded three depth players for essentially nothing, but the context for that was that no-one else was interested and I needed to get those players off the books to get under the cap, and at the end of the day, considering we won a Continental Cup that season and those other two teams are still waiting, despite getting the least value in terms of assets received, we turned out to be the real winners of it. That's the problem with the Calgary/Helsinki trade is that the logic behind it was completely broken.

I can only really speak for the trades that have happened since I've been here, but the two I feel like I heard most about being poor value prior to this one were Cody Inko for a 1st and Meute giving up four firsts for Rami Jakobssen, Wesley Matthews and Dexter Morgan. Looking at it now, could perhaps put this trade in there as well, but that may be bias talking

16 minutes ago, Salt said:

I can only really speak for the trades that have happened since I've been here, but the two I feel like I heard most about being poor value prior to this one were Cody Inko for a 1st and Meute giving up four firsts for Rami Jakobssen, Wesley Matthews and Dexter Morgan. Looking at it now, could perhaps put this trade in there as well, but that may be bias talking

Those 4 firsts from what I remember turned into nothing of significance and Mathews and Jacobsen turned into depth guys. Both QUE and STO lost out in that one.

• Senior Admin
11 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Those 4 firsts from what I remember turned into nothing of significance and Mathews and Jacobsen turned into depth guys. Both QUE and STO lost out in that one.

To Quebec:

D - Wesley Mathews (S40)

LW - Rami Jacobsen (S40)

LW - Dexter Morgan (S37)

To Stockholm:

S41 NYA 1st  (C - Rift Pajodcast)

S42 QUE 1st (Blake Campbell)

S42 COL 1st (Prince Gigga-Bijou)

S42 NYA 1st (Sam Teibert)

Its not as bad as it looks, still not good, but S42 draft wasn't very good.

Campbell was good, doubt Gigga would have performed on a team other than Stockholm though.. right @boubabi ;)

4 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Calling Matthews depth would be generous, he only managed two seasons didn't he? 

The problem with the trade wasn't what those players turned into, it was that, with how the drafts were perceived at the time (while @Will points out the players picked with those selections weren't exactly elite, there was significantly more hype for those draft classes at the time of the trade), you gave up 1 or 2 too many firsts, which considering you were looking to compete, those picks could have been better used to trade for better/more talent to help you compete. 

4 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

This thread was made thanks to @gregreg's in CGY/HSK trade topic. That trade indeed was weird - giving a first + 2 stud players for a promising goalie doesn't helps Calgary in the future. But was that the worst trade ever, or Greg is just overreacting? Like I can name another weird trade, like giving Apollo Skye for basically nothing, which fucks Davos up now.

Or is there even worse trade? Post them up, please.

Tbh Quebec actually lost that trade. Skye = negative value. I also didn't have any problems staying in Davos though it definitely is nice to be winning games quickly.

To qA3LVOO.png
S27 RIG 1st (D Elijah Incognito)
S28 SEA 1st (D Theseus Athera)
S27 HSK 2nd (RW Roger Fenzing)
S28 VAS 2nd (G Pekka Svenson)

To tSI9DqU.png
(S25) D - Kasey Braun
(S25) C - Viet Trieu
S27 VAS 2nd (LW Jesper Jakobsen)

Seattle Bears GM: Greg Harbinson
Riga Reign GM: Kyle Dowd

Only to have Braun leave me in Free Agency at the end of the season. Then I had to blow up the team and sell myself to Davos to get assets for Riga to damage control and recover. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

To qA3LVOO.png
S27 RIG 1st (D Elijah Incognito)
S28 SEA 1st (D Theseus Athera)
S27 HSK 2nd (RW Roger Fenzing)
S28 VAS 2nd (G Pekka Svenson)

To tSI9DqU.png
(S25) D - Kasey Braun
(S25) C - Viet Trieu
S27 VAS 2nd (LW Jesper Jakobsen)

Seattle Bears GM: Greg Harbinson
Riga Reign GM: Kyle Dowd

Only to have Braun leave me in Free Agency at the end of the season. Then I had to blow up the team and sell myself to Davos to get assets for Riga to damage control and recover. 

Don't sell yourself short you got the one and only Trieu Zombie Slayer.

33 minutes ago, Devise said:

I was on that Riga team. Didn't IR take over either before or after you @Kyle ? All I remember is getting out of that shit show first chance I could.

We went for it when the league was really weak so I went to get Braun because we had Braun, Pajari, myself and a few other S24 and 25 players and we would've had a decent window. Unfortunately, Kendrick didn't want to sign and we no longer had a team to compete so I sold off all assets. Luckily we had enough good players to restock their picks so they weren't off badly at all.

Also, I completely forget who took over for me after I sent myself to Davos for a huge haul.

*edit* Just remembered Mike took over for me.

Edited by Kyle