Pod Cast Press Conference (PCPC)

Victor

1. What keeps drawing you back to the game when you've been gone for a period of time?

2. Whom is your fave member of the board and least fave and why?

3. Do you try and create players based upon emulating real NHLers? 

4. If you were to compare your real life style of play to an NHLer, whom would it be?

5.  Are you a frequent gamer and if so, what system do you own?

• Admin
On 01.04.2018 at 1:14 PM, hedgehog337 said:

why @street hates you?

fav VHL team?

The VHL team you hate most?

why don't you have to make 1000+ TPE player anymore to be in HoF?

why these questions are generic?

1. It's jealousy. He knows I'm a superior VHL historian even now.

2. It's always been Calgary, briefly was a toss-up with Davos, but nah Calgary wins my heart every time. Also the Stockholm Vikings of course, RIP.

3. Used to be Vasteras, now probably Quebec or Seattle. I'm going to go with Seattle because I've at least played for Quebec with moderate success.

On 01.04.2018 at 3:03 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

1. What keeps drawing you back to the game when you've been gone for a period of time?

2. Whom is your fave member of the board and least fave and why?

3. Do you try and create players based upon emulating real NHLers? 

4. If you were to compare your real life style of play to an NHLer, whom would it be?

1. Boredom I think and maybe a bit of a desire to help, inject a bit of activity. I'm just glad the VHL is still here and an option to come back to.

2. It's hard to choose a fave, there are many people I enjoy interacting with here. @JardyB10 and I go back a long time though, so for nostalgia points it has to be him.

Least fave is much easier but I'd prefer not to answer - I've just come back so will use this as a clean(ish) slate.

3. Not hugely. In the past, there was some NHL influence I think, for instance Lars Berger started out based on Lars Eller, and Alexander Chershenko on Alex Ovechkin, but it became more of a very emotionless process for me - just build the best player for that position possible.

Thank you for your questions you fine gentlemen, I will answer the other 4 next week and hopefully someone will throw a few more at me in the meantime.

• Admin
On 01.04.2018 at 1:14 PM, hedgehog337 said:

why don't you have to make 1000+ TPE player anymore to be in HoF?

why these questions are generic?

1. I mean you never really did before either, you just had to build smartly and get some sim luck. I don't really know what's developed in my absence, and if that's even true. I suspect if it is then that's because there are less 1,000 TPE players these days? I suspect that's not the case though given TPE inflation.

2. They're unique enough for me <3

On 01.04.2018 at 3:03 PM, Exlaxchronicles said:

4. I've never player hockey in real life, in fact I haven't even watched it for about 7 years now. So obviously Crosby.

5. I am not a gamer at all, sorry to disappoint again.

19 hours ago, Banackock said:

1. Why do you hate SEA? :(

Historical thing. Had a big rivalry when I was on New York with my first player (we're talking S15), and on Toronto with my second. Also have never played for the Bears so if I have to pick one to hate it's Seattle (can't hate Riga, it's my actual birthplace). Also really disliked the S43 championship team because they did not deserve to win and that was my last real memory of the Bears as they weren't really relevant between then and the time I left. My opinion can change this time around for sure.

1. Who’s your favourite current VHL player?

2. How could you not give me at least an HM in favourite member?

3. If you could be any animal, which would you be and why?

4. What do you think about the changes to the league from when you left?

5. What day is your birthday? What was your childhood pets name? What is your mothers maiden name? Who was your favourite primary school teacher?

• Admin
On 11.04.2018 at 1:40 AM, Quik said:

1. Who’s your favourite current VHL player?

2. How could you not give me at least an HM in favourite member?

3. If you could be any animal, which would you be and why?

4. What do you think about the changes to the league from when you left?

5. What day is your birthday? What was your childhood pets name? What is your mothers maiden name? Who was your favourite primary school teacher?

1. I don't really know any at the moment haha so let's say Mats Johnsson

That's my 6th one for this week but might as well keep going.

2. It's not easy trying to love everyone. You're definitely up there though x

3. ooooh uhm something that doesn't seem to have much responsibility or care. An eagle or a cat. Or a seal.

4. I think they've been largely positive. Don't actually care much  for PP2 being murdered, while I did play a key role in setting out how it could work and shutting down some sensible counter-arguments, I can admit it was a better idea in theory. It's a shame we had to come to contraction and I'd probably have gotten rid of a NA team (Quebec most likely) but that's personal preference and ultimately it's for the best. The update scale I'm not a huge fan of but certainly necessary with so much TPE about. Now whether there should be so much TPE about is another question, but I suppose the old system got stale. Still think reviewers are needed - they at least show that someone read/listened and often helped developed GFX/writing skills. There's probably been more and I should probably dedicate a podcast to talking about these.

5. 26 March, didn't see you there.

Never had any pets.

She didn't change it.

None of them really stick out. I never choose this question since I'll forget whatever I put down.

On 11.04.2018 at 4:11 AM, diamond_ace said:

1. Why is Quik trying to figure out your password with question 5?

There's probably quite a bit of value in being able to log in as me to be fair.

• Commissioner

1. Do you think being viewed as "the old man of the VHL" is accurate in your case?

2. Historically you have made amazing players but you have been gone for awhile. What kind of production and activity should GM's be expecting from you this time around?

• Admin
On 19.04.2018 at 6:55 PM, Beketov said:

1. Do you think being viewed as "the old man of the VHL" is accurate in your case?

2. Historically you have made amazing players but you have been gone for awhile. What kind of production and activity should GM's be expecting from you this time around?

1. As I finally revealed when I retired Greg Clegane, it's obviously not literally accurate, but I think it still holds to an extent. I've been here longer than most, but more importantly I've always banged on about the old days, which is why it kind of stuck. I'm quite conservative by nature too so it's not necessarily wrong. That said I'm not sure how many still think that after this long.

2. I'm either on or off, it's why I didn't make a stopgap player between Clegane and Cast. In terms of TPE I should be reaching peak levels. In terms of what happens in the sim, well I know my way around but I've also had my fair share of luck in the past - STHS is a fickle mistress. In terms of posts, I'll probably never reach the same levels again so if GMs want me to raise LR activity I'm probably not the guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

1. Do you think your Oslo Storm can hold onto first place with both Ottawa and Saskatoon streaking as of late?

2. Hypothetically (since it’ll never actually happen) 1 team grabs the top 3 draft picks in S61. Assuming you are one of them, who would you like to see go 2 and 3 and to what team?

• Admin
On 5/5/2018 at 12:08 PM, Beketov said:

1. Do you think your Oslo Storm can hold onto first place with both Ottawa and Saskatoon streaking as of late?

2. Hypothetically (since it’ll never actually happen) 1 team grabs the top 3 draft picks in S61. Assuming you are one of them, who would you like to see go 2 and 3 and to what team?

1. One second, let me just check the sim results as I've been on holiday most of this week.

Right so with the benefit of hindsight, no. :P I know for some reason Oslo played like 4-5 games more than everyone else a while back because the VHLM schedule is weird apparently so I suspected we'd be caught up. Surprised it was Saskatoon though, I saw Ottawa as the larger threat as you know. On the bright side, Cast seems to have been lighting it up.

2. I think there's a very clear top 3 this draft, so unless that hypothetical team needs a goalie, I would obviously want it to be yourself (Thompson) and Gate seeing as I'd want the team to be as competitive as possible. As for which team I would want it to be, off the top of my head the likeliest options are Seattle (via Toronto), Riga, and I think Davos? I'd like to play for Riga or Seattle having never done it before but also want to help resurrect Davos... gun to my head I'd have to say Riga though.

On 5/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, street said:

1. What do you think of Press Conferences as a task?

They're a nice additional touch, pretty easy TPE to be honest. Would be great if there was more involvement though, as I can never really know whether I should expect any questions on any given week, but I suppose greater involvement is something of a league-wide issue at the moment.

1. I believe you are currently the highest scoring draft eligible player, do you expect to make the jump to the VHL next season, and if so, do you think you can continue your scoring ways?

2. What is your favourite show to watch in your downtime?

3. If the draft was abolished and players were free to sign with any team they wished, which team(s) do you think would be the top destination(s)?

• Admin
On 5/14/2018 at 7:38 PM, Quik said:

1. I believe you are currently the highest scoring draft eligible player, do you expect to make the jump to the VHL next season, and if so, do you think you can continue your scoring ways?

2. What is your favourite show to watch in your downtime?

3. If the draft was abolished and players were free to sign with any team they wished, which team(s) do you think would be the top destination(s)?

1. I certainly have no intention of staying in the VHLM past this season. I've always had good rookie seasons in the past, I wouldn't expect to be a top scorer of course, but in the right conditions I'm sure I'll be in the RotY race.

2. Currently a very British show called Peep Show. I have no idea if anyone of the UK has even heard of it, but it's a massive cult thing here. When it ends I've got my eyes set on Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I like the clips that I've seen.

I also will binge the latest seasons of Billions and Westworld this summer, though I guess that doesn't count as downtime, it's more of a set target haha.

3. I suspect it'd be skewed towards North American teams due to familiarity, and in particular Toronto and New York. That said, given most members here know the VHL lore, I suspect some will go for a place which might not be a huge location but just because it's known to be a good franchise in the past will attract some people - like Calgary or Davos. Those two would attract me anyway.

1. Favourite VHL Memory?

2. Was the late 20's and early 30's Calgary Wranglers team we were on a missed opportunity at being a dynasty? Did Sullivan getting traded kill its chances?

3. Top GM's in league history? 

4. What teams have you never played for? I find that I have played with very few teams here (at least while I have been active)

5. Favourite team you have ever had the pleasure of playing on?

• Admin
On 5/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, ADV said:

1. Favourite VHL Memory?

2. Was the late 20's and early 30's Calgary Wranglers team we were on a missed opportunity at being a dynasty? Did Sullivan getting traded kill its chances?

4. What teams have you never played for? I find that I have played with very few teams here (at least while I have been active)

1. Probably still winning the cup with Calgary in Season 18 - I feel like I've had a lot more enjoyable careers since but not one outstanding "holy fuck how did we do that" moment. I think it has to be an underdog moment for me and the only other ones I can think of are Calgary totally dominating and sweeping Davos in S30 and then Clegane doing an absolute madness against FA-stacked Calgary in S51.

I will respond to your other 4 questions separately - partially because I only needed 1 more answer for the TPE this week and partially because I feel I can really go to town on these ones.

• Commissioner

1. A massive resurgence by Saskatoon has put your Storm into second place, do you still think your team has what it takes to win in the playoffs?

2. Outside of the Storm, which team would you like to see hoist the cup the most?

• Admin
On 5/18/2018 at 1:41 AM, ADV said:

2. My memory's a bit hazy in terms of trading timelines but I am fairly confident Chershenko got traded before Sullivan. :P 

That said, yes and no. I don't think there was anything else that could have been done to win any more cups - the missed opportunity was in the sim - we really should have won in S31 and there were 3 more seasons after that when with a bit of luck, Calgary would have won. Another championships and that looks much better in hindsight. Can't say I have any regrets though, it was great fun.

3. Oof you've put me on the spot here. Let me go into the all-time GMs thread and name my top 5....

Scott Boulet, Higgins, Streetlight, you, and an early incarnation of Dustin Funk. I'd have you all though if I had an attention span longer than 3 seasons.

4. As you can hear in my latest podcast - shameless plug: https://vhlforum.com/topic/49478-claimed-the-pod-cast-show-episode-5/

Seattle and Riga are the 2 I have never played for (and Cologne, RIP). So I'm well traveled but also want to finish the tour now and avoid some of my own most regular destinations, namely New York, Calgary, and Toronto.

5. I guess I answered that in the previous post with S17-S19 Calgary. That said, I've at most had 1-2 seasons of teams I didn't enjoy being on so I consider myself quite lucky in that regard.

On 5/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, Beketov said:

1. A massive resurgence by Saskatoon has put your Storm into second place, do you still think your team has what it takes to win in the playoffs?

2. Outside of the Storm, which team would you like to see hoist the cup the most?

1. Of course, the VHLM is a complete lottery as far as I'm concerned. I would be equally optimistic whether we were 1st or 5th, and also equally pessimistic. That said, I see the VHLM as a development league first and foremost and therefore has anyone succeeded in that regard? I'm not sure.

2. I'm not hugely bothered as I never get a particularly competitive spirit in the VHLM. Probably Saskatoon for having the best new members.

1. During your entire tenure in the VHL, what would you say the best and worst changes to the league have been?

2. The first (and to my knowledge the second) VHL websites are no longer visible, if there was one thread/memory from those sites you'd want to be preserved, what would it be?

3. Have you ever shared a team with any other British people? 

• Commissioner

1. Assuming nothing changes via trades we have the draft order: Seattle, Riga, Quebec. Final predictions, who gets who?

2. Oslo didn’t decide to show up in games 5 and 6 it seems. What do you think happened?

• Admin
On 5/29/2018 at 1:30 AM, Tagger said:

1. During your entire tenure in the VHL, what would you say the best and worst changes to the league have been?

2. The first (and to my knowledge the second) VHL websites are no longer visible, if there was one thread/memory from those sites you'd want to be preserved, what would it be?

3. Have you ever shared a team with any other British people? 

1. Wow what a question. I think worst change is the easier of the two so I'll start with that... I'm going to say the removal of grading. It dumbed things down and stopped rewarding quality. I always thought it was a good learning process, it got people to proof-read, to put time into their media spots and for GFX guys I saw so many guys improve their sig-making over the years. And for podcasts, it at least meant you knew someone listened. I might think of something better later but that's the one which sticks out the most I think.

As for best change, it's tough because we never rush into things really so many positive aspects of the league are the result of gradual evolution. Like the fantasy zone is such a staple now but developed really slowly. This site was a reaction rather than planned. So with that in mind I'll say it was the S20 @tfong led VHLM change. The VHLM is still far from perfect but by god was the affiliate system a disgrace. He made that happen on his own basically and thank fuck for that.

Honourable mention to the VHL mag - RIP.

2. My brain immediately said 'llama thread' but I think that kind of grew into a life of its own and actually wasn't such a great 'thread' as much as a 'post'. I'm going to go for a personal memory and when @Kyle took us on an Oregon Trail adventure and we had to kill/eat @James and actually made it to the end through the power of #jeffership. @Jeff - oh wow he made it to this site too

3. I don't think so. I think the only other member I can think of is irishbucsfan and well he's Irish and I wasn't teammates with him anyway. I think I might have been on a team with Eldred actually, when I was rebuilding or something, and I'm pretty sure he was an angry Scottish man. So that's it I think. (This is where you tell me we were teammates and I feel bad?)

On 5/29/2018 at 3:59 PM, Quik said:

I have 1 question left this week, and saved it for you: Do you love me?

Truly.

Madly.

Deeply.

11 hours ago, Beketov said:

1. Assuming nothing changes via trades we have the draft order: Seattle, Riga, Quebec. Final predictions, who gets who?

2. Oslo didn’t decide to show up in games 5 and 6 it seems. What do you think happened?

1. Thompson and Gate probably deserve to go ahead of me but I'm hoping I don't fall to Quebec so I'll say Thompson :sea: Cast :rig: Gate :que: . Cuz let's be honest, defence is still the least useful position!

2. Just got overwhelmed - I was also surprised we were good in the first place, but I guess the TPE earning slow-down got to us. There was no energy in the team all season really.... it was coming I think and quite frankly deserved.