Halifax 21st Press Conference

ShawnGlade

• Commissioner
49 minutes ago, Quik said:

I've done it once. It was ok, much too easy compared to the Good Ol' Days (CC: @Beketov)

Keep in mind the questions are randomized per user so you may have just gotten easy ones.

4 hours ago, Beketov said:

Keep in mind the questions are randomized per user so you may have just gotten easy ones.

smh you were supposed to go along with my old man bit, not speak logic

• 2 weeks later...

JhmlGX6.png

3 Questions Answered = 1 Capped TPE

6 Questions Answered = 2 Capped TPE

Please answer in full sentences

Week Ending July 10th, 2022

Summer July GIF

Note, if you're not a fan of these questions, and haven't answered previous ones, feel free to use old questions instead! Hell, you can even pull them from a completely different thread!

1. We've picked up two new players recently in Sunglasses Joyo and jacob cookie jr. How would you welcome them to the city of Halifax, and/or to the VHL as a whole?

2. Is there a particular NHL or VHL player you want to model your game or career around?

3. How did you first discover the VHL?

4. It's very early in the season, but we are currently in a playoff position! What are some things we could do to ensure we stay in that position?

5. I finally watched Up for the first time relatively recently, and damn it was good! What is your favourite animated movie?

6. What website would you say you visit the most?

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik |

1. I would like to welcome Sunglasses Joyo with bags and bags of cash. Jacob Cookie Jr should be rewarded similarly, with excessive amounts of money. 💰
2. Loosely I like Matt Barzal as a player model 🏝️
3. EFL affiliation 🏈
4. We've got to keep building as a team! Only matters how good you are at the end of the season  🥇
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox 🦊
6. reddit or twitch 😅

1. We've picked up two new players recently in Sunglasses Joyo and jacob cookie jr. How would you welcome them to the city of Halifax, and/or to the VHL as a whole?

Hmm...welcoming them to Halifax I'd probably defer to @Will and @Beketov, maybe go grab some donair and garlic fingers? Probably hop on a seaplane over to Newfoundland and kiss the fish?

2. Is there a particular NHL or VHL player you want to model your game or career around?

Who is the most average goalie you can think of? Ok, now imagine that goalie, but probably a bit worse, yet a bank account that could literally buy every team in existence. Yeah, he's who I'm modeling my career around.

@brooks. told me that he and @scotty were working on the league after SHL and a bunch of other leagues run on Chel folded. I don't think they ever imagined this thing lasting nearly this long, when to that point the longest running hockey sim leagues maybe lasted a year

4. It's very early in the season, but we are currently in a playoff position! What are some things we could do to ensure we stay in that position?

I'm honestly not sure how the M dynamics work anymore, but I guess get lucky in picking up some solid actives through waivers and adding some depth. Right now, only one team has fewer GF than us, so scoring would help.

5. I finally watched Up for the first time relatively recently, and damn it was good! What is your favourite animated movie?

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse is probably the single greatest animated movie of all time. Such a good movie and I can't wait for Across the Spiderverse to come out.

Anyone who doesn't say reddit is a liar. Too easy to curate it into a news source for all your fandoms + get some entertainment, even if most of it is creative writing.

2 hours ago, Quik said:

Anyone who doesn't say reddit is a liar.

I don't go on Reddit much anymore. Mine is probably here, and then YouTube, and then probably nothing.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, Quik said:

Hmm...welcoming them to Halifax I'd probably defer to @Will and @Beketov, maybe go grab some donair and garlic fingers? Probably hop on a seaplane over to Newfoundland and kiss the fish?

Who is the most average goalie you can think of? Ok, now imagine that goalie, but probably a bit worse, yet a bank account that could literally buy every team in existence. Yeah, he's who I'm modeling my career around.

@brooks. told me that he and @scotty were working on the league after SHL and a bunch of other leagues run on Chel folded. I don't think they ever imagined this thing lasting nearly this long, when to that point the longest running hockey sim leagues maybe lasted a year

I'm honestly not sure how the M dynamics work anymore, but I guess get lucky in picking up some solid actives through waivers and adding some depth. Right now, only one team has fewer GF than us, so scoring would help.

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse is probably the single greatest animated movie of all time. Such a good movie and I can't wait for Across the Spiderverse to come out.

Anyone who doesn't say reddit is a liar. Too easy to curate it into a news source for all your fandoms + get some entertainment, even if most of it is creative writing.

1. I think they will bring a lot to the team seeing as they already have, great people to have join the team, very excited for the future

2. Maybe Cale Makar or John Carlson

3. I honestly have no clue, it’s been a good year or two since my first player

4. definitely build on our defensive side of the ice, we put the puck in the net but gotta keep it outta ours

5. You can’t go wrong with a little bit of SpongeBob lol

6. ummm definitely Twitter or Snapchat I’d say

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending June 26th, 2022

ice hockey sport GIF by NHL

lol what a nerd

Note, if you're not a fan of these questions, and haven't answered previous ones, feel free to use old questions instead! Hell, you can even pull them from a completely different thread!

1. The team is currently 1 point out of 2nd place in our conference, but 19 points behind 1st place Mississauga. What do you think we can do to better our chances at contending this season?

2. The imposter Jeffrey Bezos currently sits 2nd in the league in goals, to what do you attribute his success?

3. The team needs some team building moments, what do you suggest we do to better get to know each other?

4. It's been 9 days since @JardyB10 last posted questions, what is tying up his time these days?

5. Do you currently work IRL? If so, what is the best part about your job? If not, what is your dream job?

6. Do you enjoy doing Press Conferences? Why or why not? Answer must be in essay format. (Ok, it doesn't have to be, but that brings back fun memories of school, right?)

| @jpach52 @Emann2003 @pelle paltnacke @jsdeac @Brodie_Landry @aleks @matthews sucks @Quik |

13 hours ago, Quik said:

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending June 26th, 2022

ice hockey sport GIF by NHL

lol what a nerd

1. The team is currently 1 point out of 2nd place in our conference, but 19 points behind 1st place Mississauga. What do you think we can do to better our chances at contending this season?

I think we need to focus on our style and developing our play. I feel like we can beat anyone in the playoffs, and I'm never going into a game feeling like the underdog.

2. The imposter Jeffrey Bezos currently sits 2nd in the league in goals, to what do you attribute his success?

We're a great passing team, and Bezos is the best shooter we have. I like it because sometimes when Joyo shoots and misses the net, Bezos is there to have the puck bounce off him and in!

3. The team needs some team building moments, what do you suggest we do to better get to know each other?

I love karaoke, let's take over a place and give Sunglasses Joyo a night out on the town

4. It's been 9 days since @JardyB10 last posted questions, what is tying up his time these days?

The rumor I heard is that he's currently searching for the ultimate question

5. Do you currently work IRL? If so, what is the best part about your job? If not, what is your dream job?

I do, I am a psychologist. I enjoy helping people to learn about themselves, and I also enjoy suggesting potential actions to take to seek treatment.

6. Do you enjoy doing Press Conferences? Why or why not? Answer must be in essay format. (Ok, it doesn't have to be, but that brings back fun memories of school, right?)

Press Conferences are fun, and I look forward to them. Because of this I will argue in favor of Press Conferences.

Merriam-Webster dictionary defines fun as "what provides amusement or enjoyment specifically: playful often boisterous action or speech full of fun." This is the embodiment of the Press Conference.

In conclusion, Press Conferences are a great way to connect with the fans, and Sunglasses Joyo is the next elite VHLM player.

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending July 24th, 2022

Blazing Heat Wave GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

1. I guess I can write a Press Conference now and then. Write at least a sentence describing how nice @Quik is for doing last week's PC.

2. Sam and I will most likely be fired after this season because of discriminatory league leaders. Whom do you think would be good candidates to replace us as a General Manager duo?

3. We're less than a week from the trade deadline! Should Halifax be buyers or sellers? Why?

4. This week is Theme Week! Are you going to do a Point Task to take advantage of the double points? What specifically was it/will it be about?

5. Speaking of Theme Week, the VHL is now 15 years old. What memories do you have from being 15, if any?

6. Saskatchewan is starting to calm down from a heat wave, despite how much I love it. Describe your perfect Summer day.

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik |

Edited by JardyB10

1. I guess I can write a Press Conference now and then. Write at least a sentence describing how nice @Quik is for doing last week's PC.

He's a dick who's trying to usurp the team's leadership.

2. Sam and I will most likely be fired after this season because of discriminatory league leaders. Whom do you think would be good candidates to replace us as a General Manager duo?

I don't know enough about people who want to be GMs, but will say that I think you two are doing great!

3. We're less than a week from the trade deadline! Should Halifax be buyers or sellers? Why?

Buyers. If you guys are really leaving, may as well make a last ditch effort to do something fun.

4. This week is Theme Week! Are you going to do a Point Task to take advantage of the double points? What specifically was it/will it be about?

I wrote about people in the VHL. You're included!

5. Speaking of Theme Week, the VHL is now 15 years old. What memories do you have from being 15, if any?

Fuck, idk, I was a loser high schooler. Probably worried about girls or something like that.

6. Saskatchewan is starting to calm down from a heat wave, despite how much I love it. Describe your perfect Summer day.

July 1st because fireworks and bbq.

1. I guess I can write a Press Conference now and then. Write at least a sentence describing how nice @Quik is for doing last week's PC.

Very nice. 

Your alter egos who wear sunglasses full-time

Buyers! It would be nice to have a 2nd defenseman for the playoffs if we could get one

easy +15 uncapped

That's probably prime World of Warcraft years for me, so I guess you could say I was pretty damn cool 🧢

I like end-of-summer into Fall the best, Fall is my favorite season actually. My perfect summer day would be out by the water with a breeze

Well considering I am new here and have never met @quik nor did I do last weeks PC, I would say it was fantastically mediocre!

I would say you are doing great so far, I mean you offered me a contract so that has to be a good sign. 

We have like 7 people on our team so I would say it's wise to be buyers 

Hell yeah I'll do a point task, probably based around how mediocre my player is or maybe based around the fact that my player is basically twice the age of most of our team

Damn that was a long time ago...I was in high school, I remember that much lol 

Probably about 80 degrees chilling in the pool with a cigar and some good drinks 

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending July 31th, 2022

Nick Jonas Press GIF by NBC

1. We have added two new players to roster since last week in center The Mediocre One and goaltender Christian McGowan. In an effort for everyone to get to know each other somewhat, write a sentence or two that helps describe who you are!

2. Suppose the VHL were more like the WWE. What would your player's entrance music be?

3. After a couple of YouTube ads, we have a stream of new recruits joining the league. What's something we can tell them to convince them to sign with Halifax?

4. Speaking of recruiting new players to sign with us, most GMs usually do so by coming up with some snazzy hashtag. Should I also be utilizing a snazzy hashtag? If so, what should it be? If not, why?

5. What is something you would say you're the most passionate about?

6. Suppose you were Naked and Afraid on a small jungle island for two weeks. What are three things you would bring with you?

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik @RElblein @Cmcgowan |

1. We have added two new players to roster since last week in center The Mediocre One and goaltender Christian McGowan. In an effort for everyone to get to know each other somewhat, write a sentence or two that helps describe who you are!

I'm definitely not Jeff Bezos, and I guess I'm actually decent in goal? Who knew saving things would be one of my attributes?

2. Suppose the VHL were more like the WWE. What would your player's entrance music be?

For the Love of Money - Dr. Dre ft. Jill Scott, Jon Connor & Anderson .Paak, just imagine a slow stroll hamming it up to this song, it'd be perfect.

3. After a couple of YouTube ads, we have a stream of new recruits joining the league. What's something we can tell them to convince them to sign with Halifax?

We have Donair and garlic fingers. What else could one need?

4. Speaking of recruiting new players to sign with us, most GMs usually do so by coming up with some snazzy hashtag. Should I also be utilizing a snazzy hashtag? If so, what should it be? If not, why?

You know how parents always tell you to act your age? Well I'm gonna do the same thing and tell you that you're too old to be using hashtags. Use the same methods of recruiting as the old days: none, send an offer and make them join!

Oh man, I feel like I'm pretty lame and not super passionate about a lot? I guess sports and cooking? To me it's really fun to try a new recipe or method of cooking, and really nailing it is pretty rewarding.

6. Suppose you were Naked and Afraid on a small jungle island for two weeks. What are three things you would bring with you?

I've never watched this show, so not sure what the rules are. Can I cheat and say a boat/plane? Or at least a seadoo with 2 large jugs of fuel? Or is it supposed to just be stuff I can carry on my person? If the former, I've already said what I'd bring lol. If the latter, I guess a tent, a machete, and a giant bag of weed. Tent gives shelter, machete can be multipurpose in getting me food/adjusting my surroundings, and the weed is self-explanatory IMO.

Nice to meet you, my name is Sunglasses Joyo! The entire personality is based on the sunglasses 🕶️

"Sunglasses at Night" - A cover by Sunglasses Joyo

I feel like 'playing time + playoffs' is our best recruiting pitch, and then we trick them into signing contracts by holding a spur-of-the-moment 'Who can sign their name the fastest?' contest.

I'm having trouble pretending to be disappointed about the lack of hash tags up until this point. What we need is the Hali📠 emoji rebrand.

Stopping hatred. I think a lot of people in the world choose to hate when they don't need to, and that it's frightening to me how casual some forms of hatred have become.

6. Suppose you were Naked and Afraid on a small jungle island for two weeks. What are three things you would bring with you?

Number 1 has got to be my Sunglasses, otherwise I would possibly die.

2 - A decoy island to place away from mine, just in case my enemies find me first.

3 - Hard call when I still don't have food, shelter, and potentially drinkable water. My hearts telling me it has to be a backup pair of sunglasses though

Well I am The Mediocre One and my plan was to play as mediocre as possible but I guess that plan isnt working out. 

No Mediocre by TI featuring Iggy Azalea

What got me was the fact I could get good playing time to build stats and a chance at the playoffs 

A hashtag would be cool but I have zero idea what it should be, I am not creative 

I am a certified public accountant and prepare taxes for a living so I guess that 

A knife, either matches or a lighter, a good pair of shoes 

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending August 7th, 2022

Excited Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

1. It's Friday, making this a very late Press Conference! I apologize for nothing. How do you feel about that?

2. Playoffs are beginning TONIGHT! We are facing off against the Houston Bulls. How do you expect the series to turn out?

3. What's your favourite VHL and/or NHL player name of all time?

4. Have you entered the VHL Playoff Bracket Fantasy thingy yet? If so, what were some of your predictions? If not, what are you waiting for?

5. My hair is getting rather long and I nearly forgot that I need to book a cut this weekend. How would you describe YOUR memory skills? Is it "forgets about things attached to your own body" bad like me?

6. It was too late for their player to join our team, but I made @thecaringbear an honourary Halifax 21st member to be our playoff cheerleader. What would YOUR Care Bear power be? (Do they even have individual powers? Whatever, let's assume they do)

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik @RElblein @Cmcgowan @thecaringbear |

2 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

1. It's Friday, making this a very late Press Conference! I apologize for nothing. How do you feel about that?

Infuriated and disenfranchised! 

2. Playoffs are beginning TONIGHT! We are facing off against the Houston Bulls. How do you expect the series to turn out?

I predict that we give them an early 2 game lead for a false sense of comfort, then we come back to take the series!

I don't know much outside of our team, but Scoish Velociraptor Maloish sounds like a fun teammate.

4. Have you entered the VHL Playoff Bracket Fantasy thingy yet? If so, what were some of your predictions? If not, what are you waiting for?

I have not, and I will not until justice is served for..actually I just didn't know this was a thing. 

5. My hair is getting rather long and I nearly forgot that I need to book a cut this weekend. How would you describe YOUR memory skills? Is it "forgets about things attached to your own body" bad like me?

My memory can be pretty bad too, I work with lists a lot. Also, I vote to keep the hair long! I haven't had mine cut in over a year because I prefer it long, and because I was inspired by some of my favorite older artists such as George Harrison & John Lennon. I learned a few months ago that the concept of "Hair Peace" (which certainly must be an intentional play on hairpiece) was used by Lennon & Yoko in 1969, with the concept being that you grow to be comfortable with your hair as it naturally is. 

See the source image

6. It was too late for their player to join our team, but I made @thecaringbear an honourary Halifax 21st member to be our playoff cheerleader. What would YOUR Care Bear power be? (Do they even have individual powers? Whatever, let's assume they do)

I was going to say laser vision, but the sunglasses could make that a disastrous choice. Mind control!

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik @RElblein @Cmcgowan @thecaringbear |

Pretty mediocre performance waiting til Friday to post this, that's how I feel! 

Well considering we lost the first 2 games I am going to bet the playoffs will not go well

I haven't been here all that long but I guess Poopy Peepants makes me laugh 

4. Have you entered the VHL Playoff Bracket Fantasy thingy yet? If so, what were some of your predictions? If not, what are you waiting for?

I had no idea this even existed, so no I have not entered it 

My memory is terrible...I have so many tasks going on at once I can never remember what I am supposed to be doing 

6. It was too late for their player to join our team, but I made @thecaringbear an honourary Halifax 21st member to be our playoff cheerleader. What would YOUR Care Bear power be? (Do they even have individual powers? Whatever, let's assume they do)

Based on our first 2 games I think they need to cheer better! My superpower is clearly being extra mediocre in the playoffs 

On 8/5/2022 at 5:35 PM, JardyB10 said:

JhmlGX6.png

As an unofficial team member who has not been signed I can't really feel anything.

Im gonna "predict" a series upset by the 21st

NHL - Kaapo Kakko, VHL - Poopy Peepants

Nope, and I didnt know it was a thing

I forgot I made a VFL player for two weeks and did not sign to a team in time

Obviously the Care Bear stare, as every Care Bear has it

On 8/5/2022 at 8:08 PM, RElblein said:

Well considering we lost the first 2 games I am going to bet the playoffs will not go well

HA!

JhmlGX6.png

Week Ending August 14th, 2022

Happy Mickey Mouse GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

1. It's Tuesday, making this a reasonably timed Press Conference! What will you do with the sweet, sweet 2 TPE?

2. Holy poop, we defeated the Houston Bulls in the first round! Any very specific predictions for our next round against the Ottawa Lynx?

3. I might ask this every season, but whatever, fight me: The Junior Showcase Tournament draft has just taken place. Are you participating in this tournament? If so, who are you playing for? If not, is it because it's exclusively hosted on Discord?

4. I have a spare minute so I'm writing these questions while I'm at work. At what point of the day do you usually spend most of your VHL time?

5. I have a sudden urge to eat perogies and sausage. Are you having any particular cravings right now? Are they pregnancy cravings?

6. My partner and I just finished watching the latest season of Stranger Things. What's the most recent media that you've consumed/have been consuming? This can be books, TV, movies, games, etc.

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik @RElblein @Cmcgowan @thecaringbear |

14 hours ago, JardyB10 said:

HA!

JhmlGX6.png

1. It's Tuesday, making this a reasonably timed Press Conference! What will you do with the sweet, sweet 2 TPE?

I'm going to slightly upgrade my Poke Checking 🏒.

2. Holy poop, we defeated the Houston Bulls in the first round! Any very specific predictions for our next round against the Ottawa Lynx?

4-2 Halifax, with Ottawa coming down with a full-team chicken pox illness. Anthony Salza wins the lottery during our series, and Ethan Mann finds true love.

3. I might ask this every season, but whatever, fight me: The Junior Showcase Tournament draft has just taken place. Are you participating in this tournament? If so, who are you playing for? If not, is it because it's exclusively hosted on Discord?

I am! Somehow Sunglasses Joyo was taken 4th overall and was the top non-defenseman taken, so I've got some big expectations 👀.

4. I have a spare minute so I'm writing these questions while I'm at work. At what point of the day do you usually spend most of your VHL time?

I'm working in the schools so work hasn't started yet, so literally all day rn. During the school year mostly in the late afternoon and early evening though

5. I have a sudden urge to eat perogies and sausage. Are you having any particular cravings right now? Are they pregnancy cravings?

First of all, how dare you. It's just a little extra weight! I don't have a strong craving rn, but my favorite food is buffalo wings.

6. My partner and I just finished watching the latest season of Stranger Things. What's the most recent media that you've consumed/have been consuming? This can be books, TV, movies, games, etc.

I am currently reading Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut (favorite author) and watching Trailer Park Boys for the first time (up to season 7)!

Edited by JetsGoalie101

Well, I'm capped out in the M atm, so to the bank it goes

I'm from the future and can tell you we beat the Lynx, handily.

I am not, for several reasons, the main one being I hadn't heard about it before sign ups closed. Another being that I wouldn't want to take the place of anyone who actually wanted to be part of it. GMs know who I am, don't need to showcase anything

Usually at work when I've got some down time. I'm planning to be less involved in this turn in the VHL, so I try not to check too often when I'm at home.

Hmm, nothing really. Though, I did just eat breakfast, so I'm pretty good - hash browns and egg whites with some everything bagel seasoning are an S tier breakfast and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

I recently started re-watching Peaky Blinders from the beginning to prepare for the final season, but now my wife wants to start it so I've stopped to re-start from S1 with her. We haven't had a chance to start yet, so I've been watching The Expanse, which I've really enjoyed and gotten through the first 4 seasons now. Will probably pick up the books when I'm done and give those a read.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:18 PM, JardyB10 said:

HA!

JhmlGX6.png

I have no clue, I still dont know what to allocate towards lol

Halifax to the moon, that is all

I am the left wing for the Delhi Pickles, hype.

I usually play at night before bed because that is when I have time to sit down and use my laptop

Arizona Green Tea, its so good for no reason.

Anything Shoresy, its a great show

| @jpach52  @JetsGoalie101 @Emann2003 @bored @jsdeac  @Brodie_Landry  @Quik @RElblein @Cmcgowan @thecaringbear |