Have we gotten too easy?

Beketov

10 minutes ago, Smarch said:

This league has become less fun for me because of this. I enjoyed this league because of the characters and the ribbing people would take/give. Yes, some of it went to far, but that's life. 

The VHL has become boring for me since about S59, and making stuff harder wouldn't help my case at least. 

Saying that, we shouldn't cater to one person/member cause they feel a certain way, so from my talks with others they see the league progressing so it's all g 

I don't know if it will ever be possible to get back to how it was in 2009/2010 where it seemed there were fights every day on here lol. I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I don't know if it will ever be possible to get back to how it was in 2009/2010 where it seemed there were fights every day on here lol. I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

I'm not sure it was entirely healthy either tbh.

But @Smarch if you want me to let you know how shit your life choices are or whatever just hit me up.

6 minutes ago, Victor said:

@Smarch don't just like my post you wuss.

"wah wah the league is boring for me now" :boxing:

The league is boring. That's why I stepped down from my positions. I signed on for another year reluctantly and feel the need to play this out for Tyler

Edited by Smarch

• Admin
1 minute ago, Smarch said:

The league is boring. That's why I stepped down from my positions. I signed on for another year reluctantly and feel the need to play this out for Tyler

"Commish, help, the league is slowly dying!"

Response:

>look for solutions

>>>abandon ship

• Admin
1 minute ago, Smarch said:

You won't let me have one, bastard

Never. Making Weinstein's existence a living nightmare only partially satiated my hunger.

1 minute ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

#jeffership

who was all on the ship @Jeff obviously, you, @James fucking died cause he ate all the food or something. there were a few more was @JardyB10 one of them

Nah not Jardy. I don't remember tbh - @.sniffuM?

If these leagues were still that hard I don't think they'd still exist. We're all too old and too busy, and the younger generations aren't patient enough for that crap. This is all for fun, why did we ever make it hard? lol 

8 minutes ago, Victor said:

Never. Making Weinstein's existence a living nightmare only partially satiated my hunger.

Nah not Jardy. I don't remember tbh - @.sniffuM?

I never signed up for it or anything, maybe I was in if I was auto'd since Kyle did it.

One of these days I'll do a full VHL Hell's Kitchen, it's been a few years since I've watched it so I'd need to do some research to recapture the Gordon Ramsay voice. :P

VHL Survivor was fun that one time.

3 hours ago, Cornflakers said:

I personally think welfare is a joke.

My articles may not be 'amazing' and my gfx 'suck' in your eyes, but im working on them, im taking time out of my day to do something, am i getting paid by you? no. it's all for fun, i would rather someone post something stupid, then them lurk and claim welfare.

And if people start grading PTs, and I can get a quicker TPE from welfare, as opposed to having to be 'graded' ... then I know what I'd do ...

This league takes a ton of time as is, compared to other sim leagues, but it's also the most active sim league I've been in ...

I don't like seeing people get things for free, writing 500 words, if it doesn't make sense, takes more 'skill' than clicking 'welfare herp derp'.

I also think the more you post and stuff, the more TPE you can get, but it would also suck if it was skewed so people w/o a life could just have 10,000,000 TPE before I can claim my weekly 12 TPE cap (which, capped, I get on monday, but I spend the week thinking about what to write, and I made a gfx last week that took me like 3 hours). So I saved it up, posted it, boom, cap tpe is good to go, if there are uncapped opportunities, it would be nice if it was made available to the people within a week, outside of a week, it's like, cmon fam, you couldn't check the site for an entire week, that's weak ...

But also, 'log onto the site every day i don't care about you or your family' is a bit harsh.

I pretty much second this, as anyone in the discord must know. Saying that a graphic is worth 6 TPE is misleading, it's really only worth 2 (or 1 for veterans). I say that because if you can choose to get 4 (or 5) TPE for doing nothing or get 6 for doing something, the something is only worth 1 or 2. Simple as that. I just don't think that the compensation for putting the time into a graphic or MS is in line with the quality of work that's expected.

Also, what really is the difference between welfare and practice? I get that one's capped, the other's uncapped, but at their most basic, are they not just the same concept? A baseline TPE that someone can get just for logging in? Why do we delineate between the two? (I'm legitimately curious because I'm sure there must be some reason back through the history somewhere.)

6 minutes ago, Enorama said:

I pretty much second this, as anyone in the discord must know. Saying that a graphic is worth 6 TPE is misleading, it's really only worth 2 (or 1 for veterans). I say that because if you can choose to get 4 (or 5) TPE for doing nothing or get 6 for doing something, the something is only worth 1 or 2. Simple as that. I just don't think that the compensation for putting the time into a graphic or MS is in line with the quality of work that's expected.

Also, what really is the difference between welfare and practice? I get that one's capped, the other's uncapped, but at their most basic, are they not just the same concept? A baseline TPE that someone can get just for logging in? Why do we delineate between the two? (I'm legitimately curious because I'm sure there must be some reason back through the history somewhere.)

I'm out of likes, but slightly behind this.

A lot of the current Welfare rules were put in place when we were having trouble with our member count and retention.

Now that it is less so of an issue, I think we can revisit them.

4 minutes ago, Enorama said:

It's only been a recent change, but originally the Practice Facility was a VHLM only bonus. It also went through a phase where instead of just posting in the thread, you had to post in three game threads and link to them before you could claim the Practice Facility TPE. 

SHL = anal

shipped me off

rouge squadron

@JardyB10and at least a couple other members legitimately thought @eaglesfan036 and I were Anderson multis

@Trifecta EST/DST/MST fiasco with @JardyB10

actual animosity between SHL and VHL...seems like there's very little crossover between the two leagues anymore. Really, it seems like there's minimal crossover between the SHL and any other league

@Munk being commissioner for a day

Pajodcast...pew pew pew

And I'm sure there's many other's I'm forgetting.

2 hours ago, Enorama said:

History:

Practice Facility was just for VHLM players and was seen as one of the advantages of being in the minors in that you could earn an extra uncapped TPE. Why we changed it to +1 for VHL and +2 for VHLM I'm not entirely sure.

When welfare + pension (I'll get into the difference between the two in a second) didn't exist and it was only PTs, it really sucked to be busy for a week or go on vacation or something and miss multiple weeks of PTs or be forced to do multiple week's worth of PTs in a short amount of time. It was also around the same time that some members were starting to get burnt out of doing PTs, as the oldest members here were starting adulthood. Therefore, both welfare and pension were instituted. With the TPE cap at 9 per week, I believe welfare itself was 2 TPE. Pension was for every player that reached 400 TPE, you'd be able to earn an additional 1 TPE for welfare up to 2 TPE, so you could end up with 4. The idea was that these members "put their time in" and many were still contributing throughout the league in other important positions. Hell, when I was commissioner for about a year, I did welfare 75% of the time, if not more. 

Eventually, there was a class of people (myself included) who used welfare as their primary means of earning TPE. There was a player store purchase available as well that would give you +1 to your welfare, so you could earn 6 TPE a week if you bought the upgrade. There was also a fan590 upgrade you could buy, so with welfare and a fan 590, you could earn 8 of the possible 9 capped TPE with minimal work. Eventually, the league realized that we probably moved too far in the direction of "easy" TPE, so we removed being able to do both the fan590 and welfare upgrade and make it one or the other, and then we eventually removed the welfare upgrade.

3 hours ago, Tagger said:

It's only been a recent change, but originally the Practice Facility was a VHLM only bonus. It also went through a phase where instead of just posting in the thread, you had to post in three game threads and link to them before you could claim the Practice Facility TPE. 

VHL members get training camp which is +10 tpe, VHLM doesn’t get that. Idk how long a season lasts, but if they also now get +1 per week the vhlers do, AND this +10, kinda op, 

36 minutes ago, Fire Hakstol said:

History:

Practice Facility was just for VHLM players and was seen as one of the advantages of being in the minors in that you could earn an extra uncapped TPE. Why we changed it to +1 for VHL and +2 for VHLM I'm not entirely sure.

When welfare + pension (I'll get into the difference between the two in a second) didn't exist and it was only PTs, it really sucked to be busy for a week or go on vacation or something and miss multiple weeks of PTs or be forced to do multiple week's worth of PTs in a short amount of time. It was also around the same time that some members were starting to get burnt out of doing PTs, as the oldest members here were starting adulthood. Therefore, both welfare and pension were instituted. With the TPE cap at 9 per week, I believe welfare itself was 2 TPE. Pension was for every player that reached 400 TPE, you'd be able to earn an additional 1 TPE for welfare up to 2 TPE, so you could end up with 4. The idea was that these members "put their time in" and many were still contributing throughout the league in other important positions. Hell, when I was commissioner for about a year, I did welfare 75% of the time, if not more. 

Eventually, there was a class of people (myself included) who used welfare as their primary means of earning TPE. There was a player store purchase available as well that would give you +1 to your welfare, so you could earn 6 TPE a week if you bought the upgrade. There was also a fan590 upgrade you could buy, so with welfare and a fan 590, you could earn 8 of the possible 9 capped TPE with minimal work. Eventually, the league realized that we probably moved too far in the direction of "easy" TPE, so we removed being able to do both the fan590 and welfare upgrade and make it one or the other, and then we eventually removed the welfare upgrade.

I’m in adulthood, and I can write easy 1k words to claim for weeks. Plan it ahead and/or be allowed to have a designate. Like GM of your team or something can post on your behalf. Or just have “welfare” for the vacation?

6 hours ago, Beketov said:

I’d argue we’ve been far more generous than in the past in regards to uncapped stuff. We’ve been throwing far more of it around than ever before. However team tasks are something that has yet to return, hopefully we can get them figured out.

As for your last paragraph, all I can think of is Sandro talking about his dad golfing with (I think) Trevor Linden back in S10 or so and the entire community turning it into a meme. We were assholes back then but we had fun haha

I would say that one banner PT and HOF articles is not so much throwing uncapped TPE around. You could say recruiting I guess with that but we’ve always had recruiting TPE of some sort.