Vancouver Wolves Press Conference

Beaviss

8 hours ago, Scurvy said:

I was scared that my player was ruining the club for a second.  Glad we’re on track. 

Never the case. It was simple chemistry and trying to find the right combination to get both Payne & Bouchard going while having the Bot and the Rookie covered off. We changed things after a long back & forth; made changes to the lines and it seems to have worked.

Payne is having an MVP season so clearly not to blame. Bouchard is now starting to have a strong season as well so it will be interesting to see if these two can push each other and continue to push the team forward from the back-end.

Animated GIF

Theme week & Trade deadline

Here we are at the favorite time of year for everyone with theme week; meaning extra TPE. Interest topic this time around with you the player being the Commish. Oh, and yeah the trade deadline is also happening so maybe I will ask question around this too.Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: If you were Commish, what is the one thing that you would change? Why?

Q: Trade deadline is here so what moves if any should Vancouver make?

Q: Are you expecting a lot of trades or just minor trades at the trade deadline?

Q: Team has really turned things around after 11-11; if I remember correctly start and we are now 23-12-1 (12-1-1) in the last 14 games. What changed and why are we winning now?

Q: Congrats to Nico Pearce @Spartan now the all-time TPE player. Do you remember the highest TPE player you created; who was it and how much TPE or is this your first player and where do you think you will finish in TPE?

Q: With half of the season soon to be behind us, can either Nico Pearce @Spartan or Oreo McFleury @JB123 catch that horrible hockey player John Jameson @Frank for goals?

Oh, I just realized that I was going to ask question about the Vancouver Awards at the half-way mark of the season but I asked these instead. I guess since we aren`t at the actual halfway mark yet that I can ask these next week’s instead? Any ways it has been a great turn around and hopefully it continues.

Dc Comics Smile GIF by Max

@Frank@dogwoodmaple@Greg_Di@Spartan @JB123@STZ@VattghernCZ@Bobcat@Xflexz@Gaikoku-hito@Tate@nikkisixx089

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

On 7/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

Animated GIF

Here we are at the favorite time of year for everyone with theme week; meaning extra TPE. Interest topic this time around with you the player being the Commish. Oh, and yeah the trade deadline is also happening so maybe I will ask question around this too.Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Still thinking about this for my media post but will you will be able to see once I get around to writing it.

I think we are good, we have been on a great run and have some solid players. I don't think any moves are needed unless something comes along that we can't pass up and improves our team.

Q: Are you expecting a lot of trades or just minor trades at the trade deadline?

I think it will be a slow trade deadline but what do I know, I don't even really follow the trades.

Q: Team has really turned things around after 11-11; if I remember correctly start and we are now 23-12-1 (12-1-1) in the last 14 games. What changed and why are we winning now?

I think we have built up the chemistry and know what each player on the ice will be doing. We have started clicking offensively and it is showing.

Q: Congrats to Nico Pearce @Spartan now the all-time TPE player. Do you remember the highest TPE player you created; who was it and how much TPE or is this your first player and where do you think you will finish in TPE?

My highest TPE player is still my first player since I came back to VHL. Greg Eagles with a TPE of 1336. I think This player will surpass that and end up being my all time highest

Q: With half of the season soon to be behind us, can either Nico Pearce @Spartan or Oreo McFleury @JB123 catch that horrible hockey player John Jameson @Frank for goals?

There is still a lot of hockey left to be played and things can quickly change. Few good games for some players and a few bad games for others can really change things up

Oh, I just realized that I was going to ask question about the Vancouver Awards at the half-way mark of the season but I asked these instead. I guess since we aren`t at the actual halfway mark yet that I can ask these next week’s instead? Any ways it has been a great turn around and hopefully it continues.

@Frank@dogwoodmaple@Greg_Di@Spartan @JB123@STZ@VattghernCZ@Bobcat@Xflexz@Gaikoku-hito@Tate@nikkisixx089

On 7/4/2023 at 2:13 PM, Gaikoku-hito said:

Animated GIF

1. Just uploaded my theme week MS. There's some stuff about shafting the Bears, nothing you wouldn't expect from a Wolf, you know...

2. I think we're set. If there was one move, maybe getting a 4th D-man for a pick to complete our blueline. But I expect it to be a quiet deadline for us. I'm probably gonna eat my words very soon.

3. Oh, I see I've already answered this one. I don't expect anything major, but I've also seen Frank can be trigger happy, so who knows.

4. I think we've just found the lines that really work, and our players earning and getting better obviously helps as well. No let's keep it up!

5. Oh, I do remember, it was Wann Kerr, really more of a shitpost than a player to be taken seriously. I think I earned about 1400 before retiring him. Oh wait ...

6. Who dat? Never heard of 'em. Probably someone overrated playing for an unknown team. There's no one Oreo and Nico can't catch.

where riddle

I would seriously consider bringing back the Grimm Jonsson Award. I elaborated a little more in my MS this week - but I think this is a cool award that would be a cool return to the league.

We could probably use some defense depth, but at the same time, we have abeen successful against top teams, might be good just to conitnue to run with what we have.

I think there will always be trades when we have this many teams and this much parity in the league. I don't expect this year to be much different than others.

Could just be the sim engine starting to work in our favour. We do have good set of young players who have stepped up and earned some TPE that might have swayed things in our favour. Likely just the sim being kind.

Q: Congrats to Nico Pearce @Spartan now the all-time TPE player. Do you remember the highest TPE player you created; who was it and how much TPE or is this your first player and where do you think you will finish in TPE?

My last player Hard Markinson finished at 1786 and was Top 3 when he retired. My players have always finished in the Top All-Time TPE leaderboards but, likely wont be on that grind as hard at the end of Analfist's career. Still expecting about 1500 TPE for my guy right now, but I won't be sniffing 2000.

Q: With half of the season soon to be behind us, can either Nico Pearce @Spartan or Oreo McFleury @JB123 catch that horrible hockey player John Jameson @Frank for goals?

I think so. Anything can happen with this many games to go. We are really hot right now, would be amazing to see our boys catch the leader!

On 7/4/2023 at 8:13 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

Animated GIF

1. VHL to Atlanta!

2. I love the team we have, so I don't know of any moves

3. I'm expecting massive fireworks, league wide!

4. We finally got some consistency under our belts

5. Goodness I have no clue how much TPE I'll end up having.  But I'm going to grab each one I can!

6. ...unlikely.

I don't care what @Gaikoku-hito says he deserves extra pay for his work as AGM. Give AGM's fair pay!

None. We'll ride out the season as we entered it. I have daith in this group for this season and future ones 

Lots of chatter and not a ton of cap space. But I predict two or three trades. We'll see.

Simon realized we have a good roster and decided to stop being a twit. Also the first 20 fames are usually a lie. 

Q: Congrats to Nico Pearce @Spartan now the all-time TPE player. Do you remember the highest TPE player you created; who was it and how much TPE or is this your first player and where do you think you will finish in TPE?

Moreau had the highest tpe of any player I've made and I've been here since Season 19... A lot of early retirements to re create early likely stopped me from earning more. Hind sight says that was a mistake.

Q: With half of the season soon to be behind us, can either Nico Pearce @Spartan or Oreo McFleury @JB123 catch that horrible hockey player John Jameson @Frank for goals?

Yes fuck that guy I hope they both pass him.

Dc Comics Joker GIF by Max

Trade deadline conclusion & Retirements

Time moves quickly but sometime it feels like it isn`t move at all. Summer is way too hot yet most enjoy the fact that it isn`t cold. I might be different with 38C and 90% humidity as I long for the Alberta summers and yes, I miss the cold dark days of minus weather. While that might only last a day or two if I came back. Time is fly but standing still as I am on vacation but seem to be busier than normal. I am waffling since I don`t have an intro other than to say it is still trade deadline and just over half-way mark of the season. Yet we are closer to the end than I would like to think. Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: Malmo, New York, Helsinki and LA, where the four teams active during the trade deadline. Which team do you think came out the winner afterwards?

Q: Do you have one trade that stands out made during the trade deadline? Which one and why?

Q: It feels like forever that I have asked about awards but really it wasn`t that long ago, who do you think is Vancouver Wolves current Unsung Hero? Why?

Q: Who do you think is the Most Energetic player on the roster so far during the season?

Q: At the half-way mark of the season, who do you feel is the MVP of the team?

Q: With Payne & Bouchard being as equal as equal can be; Who do you think should be consider our top defenseman at this point of the season?

No clue what I will write next week as my brain is foggy mess thinking of ways to break the heat and that makes me lazier than I am normally lazy!! Likely we will talk end of season, play-off match-ups and maybe awards since Vancouver Wolves seem to be shafted at the moment by the VSN; they are hiring so maybe some insiders might can the tune. Until Next Week than?

sad joaquin phoenix GIF

It is too F-ing hot!!

On 7/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, Gaikoku-hito said:

Time moves quickly but sometime it feels like it isn`t move at all. Summer is way too hot yet most enjoy the fact that it isn`t cold. I might be different with 38C and 90% humidity as I long for the Alberta summers and yes, I miss the cold dark days of minus weather. While that might only last a day or two if I came back. Time is fly but standing still as I am on vacation but seem to be busier than normal. I am waffling since I don`t have an intro other than to say it is still trade deadline and just over half-way mark of the season. Yet we are closer to the end than I would like to think. Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: Malmo, New York, Helsinki and LA, where the four teams active during the trade deadline. Which team do you think came out the winner afterwards?

Didn't follow the trades so not even sure what players went where.....Doesn't matter to me who may have won trade deadline as I only focus on our team.

Q: Do you have one trade that stands out made during the trade deadline? Which one and why?

Same answer as above, didn't follow. Only focus on our team and no matter what trades are being made around the league, we will still win the cup ;) 

Q: It feels like forever that I have asked about awards but really it wasn`t that long ago, who do you think is Vancouver Wolves current Unsung Hero? Why?

I would say Bouchard or Payne, both with 55 assists. With high scoring players on the team its great to see these 2 guys being pass first or nailing shots from the point for nice rebounds!

Q: Who do you think is the Most Energetic player on the roster so far during the season?

I would say Payne with his 213 hits. Need to be energetic to produce that many hits so far this season

Lots of good candidates at this point in the season but I would have to go with Pearce. Lots of goals and great shooting %

Q: With Payne & Bouchard being as equal as equal can be; Who do you think should be consider our top defenseman at this point of the season?

It will be a tough race and it's still too early to call. Both have been playing great and hopefully it continues heading into the playoffs.

No clue what I will write next week as my brain is foggy mess thinking of ways to break the heat and that makes me lazier than I am normally lazy!! Likely we will talk end of season, play-off match-ups and maybe awards since Vancouver Wolves seem to be shafted at the moment by the VSN; they are hiring so maybe some insiders might can the tune. Until Next Week than?

sad joaquin phoenix GIF

It is too F-ing hot!!

On 7/12/2023 at 12:43 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

sad joaquin phoenix GIF

It is too F-ing hot!!

1. I think New York. Acquiring Max Torq and Nezuko is huge for them. They still have to push hard to make the postseason, but these trades should help them immensely.

2. Max Torq for a 2nd? Absolute steal.

3. I'd say Henry Eagles. He might not be having a season as incredible as last year, but he's always involved, and silently leading the team in game winning goals 

4. Easily Scurvy imo. It's awesome to have them in the LR. I'm not as active as I'd like to be, but it feels like everytime I visit the LR, Scurvy is always engaged and cheerinv for the teammates 

5. This one's tough. Maple is leading the team in points, Pearce in goals, Bouchard is arguably the best defenseman on the team, and Payne who's doing just about anything on the ice. Let me roll d4. Okay, it's Nico Pearce.

6. I'd say Bouchard, but mostly because of his puck moving style of game. But the one of these two who doesn't win the best defenseman team trophy should be the frontrunner for the team MVP trophy, they're both that good 

New York adds Nezuko and Torq. I think they've made the moves that put them in a position to make playoffs. The NA is so tight and the other two competing teams made moves, but I like those two high TPE veteran adds.

The DC LA trade is interesting as they swap 1sts in different years and also swap two major players on each side. It's almost as much of a hockey trade as you can get. They are looking to shake up their teams. What makes it even more interesting is that they are both competing in the same conference and are both head ot head in points. Generally, a big trade in trade deadline includes a team selling off and another buying to make a push.

Henry Eagles has been solid. He only has 70 points in the 62 games played, which is fifth on the team. What stands out is his 7 GWG. I think an honorable mention to Fuhr who has been outstanding, but I don't think he's unsung.

The team has been quite a bit more active in the LR than last season. I definitely notice Kerr a lot in there.

I'd say our goalie Fuhr has been a good MVP canadite. We get scoring throughout our roster, but Brandt has reall been strong in front of the net. He has a 923 save percentage and 2.64 GAA. Pretty awesome numbers, imo.

That's a tough call. I actually love this duo. Payne has been so solid with his physical play and assist total has been strong. PEB has has a resurgence and seems to be playing better this season too. I think Payne edges him just based on the fact that I think his build contributes more defensively, and with a three amn crew back there I think it's so important.

On 7/11/2023 at 6:43 PM, Gaikoku-hito said:

sad joaquin phoenix GIF

It is too F-ing hot!!

1. Probably Malmo?  Not quite sure but I think they might've taken the crown.

2. Sometimes the best trades are the ones teams didn't make.

3. That's hard to say - maybe our GMs? They're always pushing the right buttons.

4. Oh gosh that's impossible to pick. We have so many great choices and everyone brings their own dose of energy!

5. ME!!!!

6. Payne, but I just flipped a coin.

Despite their record since I liked what New York did. The rest felt like a bit of lateral moves for the sake of making moves. LA would have been better off selling this off season and seeing how this season played out. We've seen a wild card team win the cup the last 2 of 3 seasons.

Our trade for Carter and Preo in S86 to help Vancouver win the cup. 

Wann Kerr despite the work ethic the results just haven't been there, until this season. What a breakout. 

Has to be Payne and Pearce. They-ve been an injection of energy in the locker room 

It's really tough to chose just one player could be any of Bouchard, Maple, Pearce and Payne.

Q: With Payne & Bouchard being as equal as equal can be; Who do you think should be consider our top defenseman at this point of the season?

Payne had the fast start and Bouchard has had a strong second half. They both have had amazing seasons. I'd view them as equal. 

Happy Joaquin Phoenix GIF

Birthdays!! I like Birthdays!!

The league has turned that awkward age with voice changing, pimpled noses and in most case the legal ability to drive a motor car. Yeah, I think this coming year can and will be awkwardly fun but when hasn`t the VHL been awkwardly fun? Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: July 18th, 2007; Where were you and what were you doing? If you can remember!!

Q: When did you join this league and why did you decided to stay?

Q: What is the best thing about Birthdays? Why?

Q: What was the best thing about being 16?

Q: Since joining the league or in the past 16 years of the VHL; what has been the most memorable moment for you and why?

Q: Riddle: How can you tell when a birthday is very emotional?

Holly cows, time flies and next week we will be talking about the play-offs. It seems we have Calgary in the first round unless something drastically changes in short order. Well, Let eat our cake and …….

Forbidden Zone Holy Cow GIF by Eternal Family

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

9 minutes ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

The league has turned that awkward age with voice changing, pimpled noses and in most case the legal ability to drive a motor car. Yeah, I think this coming year can and will be awkwardly fun but when hasn`t the VHL been awkwardly fun? Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: July 18th, 2007; Where were you and what were you doing? If you can remember!!

Q: Since joining the league or in the past 16 years of the VHL; what has been the most memorable moment for you and why?

Holly cows, time flies and next week we will be talking about the play-offs. It seems we have Calgary in the first round unless something drastically changes in short order. Well, Let eat our cake and …….

1. I was 13, there's a good chance it was me, my mother and my then-10-months-old brother visiting my grandma, we would typically spend 10 or 14 days at her place every July. I would spend most of it wandering outdoors with her dog, I've always loved dogs, but we never had one when I was growing up.

2. On July 31, 2022. I've stayed because it's fun, and more than anything people here are awesome. And also a huge part of it is that my VHLM GM was Shindigs, and his style of leadership and mentorship was exactly what I respond to the best.

3. Well, nowadays I'd say it's the free booze everyone is giving me lol. But I have my own tradition to visit a different zoo I've never been to on my birthdays, so it's definitely that.

4. It was a pretty tough era of my life, so being brutally honest, the best thing was that it was only 2 more years before moving away.

5. Probably the first time I've ridden a motorbike. Some things, especially feelings, just stick. I wish I could re-live that. But I'm too prone to remember bad things better than good things, sadly haha.

6. Oof, no idea about this one.

On 7/18/2023 at 7:25 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

I have no idea, that was a long time ago lol! Probably was just starting my first career job...I really don't remember

I joined the league in the very early days and played a few seasons then took a really long break due to being busy. Decided to come back in S66 and have been here ever since. 

Spending time with family and friends.....and obviously the gifts ;)

I wish I could go back to being 16, so many less responsibilities and the freedom to do pretty much anything you want.

Being drafted in the second round when I first rejoined (not known by many people) with Greg Eagles and then going on to winning multiple cups and awards, still my best VHL player to date.

This one stumped me, tried looking up on google just to see what the answer was and couldn't even find it!

I would have been 20 years old. I would have been in University at that point.. About three years away from joining the VHL.. My whole god damn life ahead of me lol.

I joined in S29. I had just quit my job and went back to myold job. I had a bunch of spare time and had always been looking for a hockey simulator. I had stumbled upon VHL before, but didn't really understand it. In S29 I decided to try it out, and ended up really loving this place.

I love my kids birthdays. The joy they get and the anticipation is really fun. I never really cared for my own, but it is certainly special celebrating with the little ones.

Not having to pay for a mortgage.. Getting to sleep in.. The lack of responsibilities..

Definitely my daughter's birth was huge. That was nine years ago, and it was a complete game changer. I just had my son last year, which was a huge moment as well, but it's safe to say I'm in a better place personally to be raising a child lol.

Q: Riddle: How can you tell when a birthday is very emotional?

hmmmm... not sure, but is it a play on "Happy" Birthday?

On 7/18/2023 at 7:25 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

1. I was a much younger man....woo wee that was a while ago.

2. I can't remember the exact day, but I stuck around because the people are so fantastic.

3. Celebrating with your loved ones

4. Freedom (and no mortgage!)

5. Probably winning the cup here with Vancouver. Just a hell of a run!

6. it falls on a SADurday?

I was 14 years old. Three years before I joined the VHL. Likely doing some stupid teenager shit. 

I joined off the recommendation of my friend. The community and league vibe is what got me to stay. Having @JardyB10 as your first GM doesn't hurt either ;).

When people do something genuine and we still pretend we hate them.

Not having to work full time and still being hopeful about the future. 

It's all been a giant blur and I don't eben know how we got here.

Q: Riddle: How can you tell when a birthday is very emotional?

i cheated and looked @dogwoodmaple answer and now I'm laughing is this a joke of a riddle?

black and white joker GIF

PLAY-OFFS

Here we are at the end of the season and since I am busy/slow this week the play-off has already started so hopefully these question don`t age or fall flat. Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: Wildcard rounds are over and Prague has advanced to play Moscow in the first round? Do you give Prague a fighting chance of beating the Continental Cup favorites?

Q: New York sneaks into the Wildcard and wins. Can they continue to surprise everyone by upsetting much more favored Bears in the first round?

Q: Vancouver & Calgary; Who do you think wins and why? And does this team have enough to win the Continental Cup?

Q: Riga and HC Davos are in the other series; what are you expecting from this series? Why?

Q: Prediction time: Pick one team from each conference that is going to make the finals? Who are they and then who wins the Continental Cup? Why?

Q: Summer time heat; How do you break the summer time heat? (we hit 45C this past week, today is cool at 38C)

Next week we are either talking about Fishing & Golf or we continue to talk about the Play-offs. Considering I don`t fish or golf since moving to Japan, I am hoping for Play-off talk to continue.

homer simpson dancing GIF          Season 9 Episode 13 GIF by The Simpsons

Actually, I am heading for vacation starting next Thursday for the weekend so will be a bit quieter than usual.

homer simpson crying GIF

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

On 7/26/2023 at 6:09 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

PLAY-OFFS

Here we are at the end of the season and since I am busy/slow this week the play-off has already started so hopefully these question don`t age or fall flat. Either way we are back with another press conference, so answer three questions for one TPE or all six for two TPE. As always have fun!!

Q: Wildcard rounds are over and Prague has advanced to play Moscow in the first round? Do you give Prague a fighting chance of beating the Continental Cup favorites?

Q: New York sneaks into the Wildcard and wins. Can they continue to surprise everyone by upsetting much more favored Bears in the first round?

Q: Vancouver & Calgary; Who do you think wins and why? And does this team have enough to win the Continental Cup?

Q: Riga and HC Davos are in the other series; what are you expecting from this series? Why?

Q: Prediction time: Pick one team from each conference that is going to make the finals? Who are they and then who wins the Continental Cup? Why?

Q: Summer time heat; How do you break the summer time heat? (we hit 45C this past week, today is cool at 38C)

Next week we are either talking about Fishing & Golf or we continue to talk about the Play-offs. Considering I don`t fish or golf since moving to Japan, I am hoping for Play-off talk to continue.

Actually, I am heading for vacation starting next Thursday for the weekend so will be a bit quieter than usual.

homer simpson crying GIF

1. Definitely, there's the Victory Cup curse, right? I hope Prague advances and gets to the finals, it would be the fourth time Kerr would face his arch nemesis Kauppi in the finals.

2. They made huge improvements at the deadline, I'm not surprised, and I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated Seattle either. Even though I'd prefer them leaving this satisfaction to us.

3. Of course us, no matter who the opponent is. We're stacked on every position, we're gonna go deep.

4. I don't follow the EU conference closely enough to really know what to expect.

5. Vancouver and Prague. It would be fun to see @Frank torn between the Wolves success or Jameson's success. But obviously we would win. Because...it's us.

6. With a lot of sweating, swearing and cold radler.

Edited by VattghernCZ

16 hours ago, VattghernCZ said:

Vancouver and Prague. It would be fun to see @Frank torn between the Wolves success or Jameson's success. But obviously we would win. Because...it's us.

It would make it the second time if it does happen!! PEB even add some salt by scoring the game 7 winner in OT as my other player was a career long Phantom; it was bitter sweat!!

On 7/26/2023 at 12:09 AM, Gaikoku-hito said:

PLAY-OFFS

Everyone has a shot in the playoffs and by looking at the current playoff tree, it seems Prague is doing very well against Moscow.

Similar answer as to the above. NY is a good team and they have been playing very well vs Seattle so far. They can definitely cause an upset.

I always put my money on my team. We have a strong roster and just need to win one more game to close the series out. We have enough to win the cup and anything other then winning it would be a dissapointment.

Davos already won it by the time I got to the question. They really dominated and deserve to move on.

My picks would be Vancouver and Davos in the finals with us taking it in 6 ;) 

Hasn't been that hot where I am, it has been hovering around the 30-32c mark but when there is a heat wave I would stay inside in the AC.

homer simpson crying GIF

1. I did.  I thought Prague (and Riga) were dark horses to be trouble for Davos and Moscow.  

2. Upset of the playoffs for sure.

3. We have home Ice so that's a huge advantage for us.  Hopefully we can keep it up in round 2.

4. Davos looked great.  Going to be great conference final with Prague

5. Vancouver vs Davos- Wolves in 7

6. I am ready for Winter already