Official 2014-15 NFL Discussion Thread

frescoelmo

Chicago will be doomed by Cutler throwing at least 2 INT's per game. Also I don't see Pittsburgh making it, Big Ben is over the hill and they will now go into a Cowboy-esque funk.

San Fran lost three of their elite defensive players for basically the first 1/3rd of the season, along with all their backup running backs, so I am very up in the air about them. 

Very true. I think their RBs are fine now, even without Hunter and Dixon. But, the defense is certainly a question mark, but assuming they all get healthy at some point soon, they should be alright. They still lost some guys to free agency, but I think the system they have in place will be able to generate replacements for those losses. 

Plus, I think that any struggles from their defense can be overcome by their offense, which is vastly improved and Kaepernick should be even better this year.

I think Kaepernick is going to bust HARD this year. Defenses are getting the read option and that's really all he's good for. If you can take away his ability to scramble, he can't beat you with his arm. He's more of a handcuff than as asset.

Did anybody see that attempted tackle by Brady when he threw that pick six? I mean i'm a pats fan born and bred but he just looked so rediculous I had to laugh

I was wondering why he even attempted the tackle in the first place. The last thing he needs is to get hurt in a pre-season game.

With the new CBA in place the league has put the best chance for success on teams with successful skill positions in their 1st 5 seasons.  What I mean by that is if you can get a good RB, WR, and QB for instance all playing on their rookie contract which teams like Seattle, San Fran, Cincy (2011-2013), and etc did you can afford to pay for a good defense and say offensive-line.  Those rookie-5 year players on their first contract make a fraction of what they did before you could combine the QB/WR/RB into 5 million dollars against the cap as opposed to those same players being resigned and and all causing a 5-10 million seasonal cap hit.

In the past and into now we've seen what happens as those players go up in cost with Indy(bring in super cheap Andrew Luck he does well and the team is turned around already), Pittsburgh, and Dallas.  The team gets older and players get paid more the team takes a step back.  Atlanta took a step back after giving Matt Ryan a big contract and I expect the Bengals to have some less success with Dalton.  You need a Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees QB who can win games to keep it going.

With the new CBA in place the league has put the best chance for success on teams with successful skill positions in their 1st 5 seasons.  What I mean by that is if you can get a good RB, WR, and QB for instance all playing on their rookie contract which teams like Seattle, San Fran, Cincy (2011-2013), and etc did you can afford to pay for a good defense and say offensive-line.  Those rookie-5 year players on their first contract make a fraction of what they did before you could combine the QB/WR/RB into 5 million dollars against the cap as opposed to those same players being resigned and and all causing a 5-10 million seasonal cap hit.

In the past and into now we've seen what happens as those players go up in cost with Indy(bring in super cheap Andrew Luck he does well and the team is turned around already), Pittsburgh, and Dallas.  The team gets older and players get paid more the team takes a step back.  Atlanta took a step back after giving Matt Ryan a big contract and I expect the Bengals to have some less success with Dalton.  You need a Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees QB who can win games to keep it going.

This is 100% true too. As soon as those rookie contracts are over, that's when the hits take place and the grade of your defense or offence goes from A to C. 

Doomsday, I also agree there. Kaepernick has been figured out and teams have and still are drafting and selecting their rosters based on speed and reactions more than ever. They have adjusted their schemes and his arm is simply not going to beat a team. Yes the hers can run the ball, but they've also lost some O-Lineman too. 

I considered myself pretty unbiased with Johhny either way, but I just watched him play today and he cannot hit his passes, he is constantly throwing behind receivers on some throws that should be pretty automatic from an NFL QB

I still think he should start. Hoyer is a guy who was cut by not one, but three teams and had one good game before tearing his ACL. If they believed in him at all, they should not have taken Manziel, but clearly, since they took Manziel, they do not believe him to be the long-term answer. So, just toss Manziel out there and let him take his lumps. Nothing beats playing experience, especially since Cleveland will not be competing this year.

I feel the same about Bortles. Why the fuck is Jacksonville playing Henne and saying it's so Bortles can learn from him? All he's going to learn from Henne is how to suck at playing quarterback.

Can anyone who's in the USFL Fantasy league, tell me if it's PPR or standard scoring....please.

Looks standard scoring to my knowledge, not sure how to check.

I still think he should start. Hoyer is a guy who was cut by not one, but three teams and had one good game before tearing his ACL. If they believed in him at all, they should not have taken Manziel, but clearly, since they took Manziel, they do not believe him to be the long-term answer. So, just toss Manziel out there and let him take his lumps. Nothing beats playing experience, especially since Cleveland will not be competing this year.

I feel the same about Bortles. Why the fuck is Jacksonville playing Henne and saying it's so Bortles can learn from him? All he's going to learn from Henne is how to suck at playing quarterback.

Okay sorry but that's wrong. If we go by the "cut by this team and this team" logic Kurt Warner should never have played a snap. Hoyer clearly is the one they should start, here's why: You start Johnny and he does bad and you have to pull him, that hurts his development. You start Hoyer and he does bad, Johnny is on the sidelines watching what Hoyer did wrong and can go into the game with more knowledge.

Also Hoyer was 3-0 as a starter so screw your incorrect stat. You say they won't competing this year? I agree so let him watch instead of feeding him to the wolves on a team that will suffer. Let him groom and watch the game a tad at the NFL level. Want proof of this working? (Rodgers, Brady, Brees etc.). I'd hate to have you as a coach or OC. These guys can't be thrown under fire and expect to do well and then someone come along and say "Well they weren't competing this year anyways". That's horrible logic and it actually causes them to go backwards than forward in their development. Is Johnny the next Peyton Manning? Is he is the next Andrew Luck? No, which is why he shouldn't start right away.

I just don't understand how people can be so high on starting a QB right away. The rate of high picked quarterbacks that had success after sitting for a couple years versus those that start right away is absolutely higher (unresearched but I know it to be true).

Bortles was considered more of a high potential player coming out anyway so imo a year of coaching is necessary for him.

Bad news out of Pittsburgh for the Steelers backfield today. Running backs Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount were arrested for marijuana possession tonight.

Clipped from the Fansided.com article by Josh Sanchez:

"According to multiple media reports, the two running backs were arrested with 20 grams of marijuana in the back of the car. They were arrested in Ross Township.

"They were cooperative during the arrest.

"Le'Veon Bell was also charged with a DUI."

Will Graves (@WillGravesAP) posted on his Twitter feed: "Charges will be filed through the mail. Both crimes are misdemeanors."

As the Fansided.com article reports, "The good news, however, is that it is a first offense for both players, so they are unlikely to face league discipline."

That of course is just an opinion. Commissioner Roger Goodell has been at times uneven with how punishment has been handed down. Other speculation is out there that the players could face a suspension this season. The reality is that right now, we just don't know.

As far as what this means for how you should draft these players, it's honestly too early to tell for sure. We've been getting more and more worried about Bell of late as it looks like he will lose goal line work to Blount. Now it looks like both could be affected.

If I were drafting tonight, I'd probably drop both players down a round or two. We'll hopefully know more soon.

This isn't a first time offense for Blount, so he might get the hammer dropped on him a bit more than Bell.

This is true. Blount punched Byron Hout after a Boise State game. Then he punched a Titans teammate.