Moscow Menace Press Conference

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

3. @moonman93 Always a positive force in the community, doing good all around. Super active, and constantly doing his best to help the league grow or come up with interesting ideas to make the league more enjoyable for everyone. Moon For President!

Nice tag @Moon

10 hours ago, STZ said:

Week of July 11th - 17th

Claim six answers for 2 TPE

1. Let's talk Papa - In his sixth season, Papa Emeritus has made his mark in the league as one of the top goaltenders. The past few seasons it seemed as though he just couldn't find his way, this season he has led the league in both Save Percentage and Goals Against. Does this continue, and what do we need to do as a team to make sure we keep his numbers looking good?

2. We have had decisive wins over both Warsaw and DC. We currently sit 1st in the league. What team do you think gives us the biggest challenge, match-up wise?

3. What VHL Member do you think really contributes to the league that you feel doesn't get enough credit? Good opportunity here to give someone a shoutout!

4. Last week we saw bother Paul Atreides and Duncan Idaho get their numbers retired and raised into the rafters. Do you desire to have that happen for your own player? Or do you see yourself as someone who might be more of a journeyman style player?

5. What's the most surprising thing about your player's play so far in this season?

6. Last weekend I had a great debate in a group with what the best fast food chain is... what would you say is the best chain?

1. Well obviously what were doing right now is working, keeping a goal differential like what we got now is a great way to get him more wins. We got to keep up the pressure and not make it easy on other teams.

2. Well I think it's obvious to say that we've got Warsaw's number this year. D.D defintely gives us the bigger challenge.

3. @animal74has always been a good contributor, loved his work for VSN.

4. I desire a Continental Cup more than I do a jersey retirement, still I would be very honored to have my jersey raised up in Moscow. However everytime I would look at my jersey hanging there i'd be reminded of how I haven't been able to bring the cup here. 

5. He's scoring again! He hasn't scored at this rate since the Meta years, I thought my 40 goal seasons were a thing of the past. 

6. I'm contractually required to say Popeye's Chicken is the best.

On 7/17/2022 at 7:31 PM, STZ said:

Week of July 11th - 17th

1. Let's talk Papa - In his sixth season, Papa Emeritus has made his mark in the league as one of the top goaltenders. The past few seasons it seemed as though he just couldn't find his way, this season he has led the league in both Save Percentage and Goals Against. Does this continue, and what do we need to do as a team to make sure we keep his numbers looking good?

2. We have had decisive wins over both Warsaw and DC. We currently sit 1st in the league. What team do you think gives us the biggest challenge, match-up wise?

3. What VHL Member do you think really contributes to the league that you feel doesn't get enough credit? Good opportunity here to give someone a shoutout!

4. Last week we saw bother Paul Atreides and Duncan Idaho get their numbers retired and raised into the rafters. Do you desire to have that happen for your own player? Or do you see yourself as someone who might be more of a journeyman style player?

5. What's the most surprising thing about your player's play so far in this season?

6. Last weekend I had a great debate in a group with what the best fast food chain is... what would you say is the best chain?

1. We gotta play better defensively if we want to keep him from being bombarded

2. The biggest challenge we would have would be against DC in my opinion

3. I would probably have to say @Brandonhe's always super friendly in the locker room and his sigs are sick. 

4. I'm not really sure how my career is gonna pan out. I seem like the type of player that would bounce around a bit. 

5. I'm surprised that my +/- isn't horrible. 

6. Chik Fil a without a doubt. I would die for that chicken.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:26 PM, STZ said:

Week of June 20th - 26th

1. New season incoming! How many games until your player gets 40 goals (edit)?

2. What other Menace player is your player closest to off the ice?

3. What is your biggest lock for Predictions this year?

4. Who did you pick first in your VHFL Draft? If you didn't participate, why not?

5. Is there a game marked on the calendar you are looking forward to the most this season?

6. Last weekend I visited Hamilton, Ont. What's the worst city you've ever been to?

1. I predict that he won't even reach 40 goals, I just don't think his current pace is sustainable.

2. I'd say Hard Markinson as we've been teammates forever, and were both from the same draft class. 

3. Moscow to win the cup.

4. Saku Kotkakoivu, want to draft Markinson but he got drafted the selection before.

5. Any game against the Vancouver Wolves is a game I look forward to, they still leave a foul taste in my mouth ya know?

6. Dryden, Ont. Had to stay there for work, that place sucks.

Week of July 25th - 31st

1. We are 1st in the league, and have clinched the EU Conference. It looks as if we are going to end with one of the more dominant seasons we've had with this generation of players. How surprised are you with this outcome, after all the off-season changes?

2. We've have some pretty huge statlines on the team. Papa is having a career year. Seabasstard has excelled in his role as 1C, and Hard Markinson is having a career year as well. Do you think the Menace will have the MVP winner, or do you think there hasn't been one player that has stood out enough to be deemed more valuable to their team than another squad?

3. How do you feel your player has played this season?

4. We will be playing against the winner of the wildcard in the first round, which will likely be Riga vs Davos. What team do you think will win that matchup?

5. I've had an olive oil stain on my pants that I can't get rid of.. What is the worst food stain you've had to endure, and do you throw out clothes if the stain can't get out or do you just battle through?

6. How is everyone enjoying their summer? I feel like our team is kinda going through a weird phase where everyone is on trips lol.

1 hour ago, STZ said:

Week of July 25th - 31st

1. We are 1st in the league, and have clinched the EU Conference. It looks as if we are going to end with one of the more dominant seasons we've had with this generation of players. How surprised are you with this outcome, after all the off-season changes?

2. We've have some pretty huge statlines on the team. Papa is having a career year. Seabasstard has excelled in his role as 1C, and Hard Markinson is having a career year as well. Do you think the Menace will have the MVP winner, or do you think there hasn't been one player that has stood out enough to be deemed more valuable to their team than another squad?

4. We will be playing against the winner of the wildcard in the first round, which will likely be Riga vs Davos. What team do you think will win that matchup?

5. I've had an olive oil stain on my pants that I can't get rid of.. What is the worst food stain you've had to endure, and do you throw out clothes if the stain can't get out or do you just battle through?

6. How is everyone enjoying their summer? I feel like our team is kinda going through a weird phase where everyone is on trips lol.

1. Not too surprised. Most of the pieces that made us so good are still here and kicking. 

2. Markinson is making a pretty great case for MVP.

3. I have been playing around as well as I expected. Aa rookie playing in the bottom six with not the most skilled attributes, I'm glad I could still be a useful player. 

4. I really think that it could go either way. 

5. I haven't had that many food stains that I can remember. I don't think I could ever throw out clothes for that reason. I would probably just use them as pajamas. 

6. My summer has been fine. Not too much to report on that front.

I think it's always surprising to trade away arguably the best player in the league and a sure fire Hall of Famer and still win the Victory Cup.  With 4 games left we could still top our point total from last season if we finish strong.  It's a good time to be a Moscow fan.

Hard to predict whot he MVP will be, but I think we have some players that will be taking home some hardware.  Markinson will probably get some defensemen award.  Papa will probably get some goalie award.  Soggard is looking good for the rookie of the year award.

Pretty good, with a few games left I've passed my previous seasons point total, which was my best ever.  I'm 1 goal away from hitting 40g so I would really like to do that.

I think Riga will take it.  Riga has more experience in the playoffs and have looked better than Davos for the season.

The worst I can think of that is food related is, I bought a light blue shirt and I noticed my second time wearing it I had this weird rink stain on it that I couldn't get rid of.  I figured out later when I did the same thing to another shirt that I had pressed a cooking spray bottle up against the shirt and that was what caused it.

My summer has been fine, nothing planned just chilling at home.

On 7/31/2022 at 1:04 PM, STZ said:

Week of July 25th - 31st

1. Our team always had that victory cup potential even with losing some key pieces. We were lucky enough to live up to that potential this year.  I'm not surprised by where we are now going  into the playoffs.

2. The team is too studded with star status where I think a player from another team will end up winning the mvp. My bet is that pierce the top scorer right now will win the mvp.

3.I feel like I had a good bounce back year and I feel good having contributed to our teams positioning in the vhl standings.

4.i wanna say Riga will win because somehow we always end up having to go through the reign to get to the finals.

5. I will typically throw it out if it's bad enough. I've had some pretty mean ketchup stains on some clothes in the past. That or grease.

6.i think your right I'm currently typing this presser out from a back country camping site by a fire. Gotta take advantage of the summer it's so short.

Edited by Seabass

18 hours ago, STZ said:

Week of July 25th - 31st

1. Honestly, with Idaho leaving I didnt expect us to be this dominant. Although I feel like the entire league regressed at the same time, which has benefitted us. Luckily our chemistry has been extremely solid, and everyone has been rolling on all cylinders.

2. It's hard to say, I think MVP might come from a different team. Although if it were anyone it would have to be Papa, he has been lights out all season, by far the best goalie in the league, and stealing one goal games for us when our shot generation against certain teams wasn't the greatest at times (Riga / Helsinki / Seattle).

3. I'm thoroughly impressed with how Sogaard has performed, although I have my linemates to thank for my point production and incoming Rookie of the Year candidate. Hopefully I can pull through for the award!

4. I think Riga will win, they have such solid firepower up front and have been the more consistent team throughout the entire season.

5. Dawn dish soap is your best friend, I'd say worst for me is actually a burn on my clothes from ironing, which is impossible to take out. In that case, I throw out the clothes unfortunately. 

6. Enjoying my trip through Europe so far! Although I'm only half way and extremely exhausted. 4-5 hours of sleep per night, hot weather, and 12km average walking distance for 10 days straight takes a toll on you. Excited for the next 3 cities, but also will enjoy being a vegetable when I get home.

1. We are 1st in the league, and have clinched the EU Conference. It looks as if we are going to end with one of the more dominant seasons we've had with this generation of players. How surprised are you with this outcome, after all the off-season changes?

I am surprised as we have had in my opinion better rosters the last 2 seasons. Really great work by our GM and everyone staying active to get their players in great form.

2. We've have some pretty huge statlines on the team. Papa is having a career year. Seabasstard has excelled in his role as 1C, and Hard Markinson is having a career year as well. Do you think the Menace will have the MVP winner, or do you think there hasn't been one player that has stood out enough to be deemed more valuable to their team than another squad?

Papa takes the MVP. Stellar numbers to say the least.

very very well. Career year in every way you look at it.

Riga should have a fairly easy time winning that series.

not food but I got a splash of bleach on a nice shirt, stupid of me to be wearing it at the time. No getting that out.

busy for sure. But I like it that way.

Week of August 8th - 14th

1. After sweeping Davos, we wait for our Conference Finals challenger between Helsinki and Warsaw. Did you see the sweep coming?

2. This team feels special, like we are just starting another deep round. What part of this team dynamic do you think gives us the competitive advantage this year that we didn't have the previous four Cup runs?

3. How has your player performed so far in playoffs, do you think this performance is sustainble for the rest of the run?

4. Playoff Papa looks to be in fine form - does he need to be our best player for us to win the championship this year? What can we do to help him succeed in getting wins?

5. Last month of summer, scary... What's been the highlight of your summer so far?

6. I just watched the Netflix show on Woodstock 99, and it's got me really back in to Bush. What band have you gotten into recently?

On 8/10/2022 at 10:11 PM, STZ said:

1. After sweeping Davos, we wait for our Conference Finals challenger between Helsinki and Warsaw. Did you see the sweep coming?

2. This team feels special, like we are just starting another deep round. What part of this team dynamic do you think gives us the competitive advantage this year that we didn't have the previous four Cup runs?

3. How has your player performed so far in playoffs, do you think this performance is sustainble for the rest of the run?

4. Playoff Papa looks to be in fine form - does he need to be our best player for us to win the championship this year? What can we do to help him succeed in getting wins?

5. Last month of summer, scary... What's been the highlight of your summer so far?

6. I just watched the Netflix show on Woodstock 99, and it's got me really back in to Bush. What band have you gotten into recently?

1. To be honest I didn't really have a prediction going into the series, but it is a pleasant surprise.

2. I was not here for the previous cup runs, but I do have to point out how dynamic and versatile our team is. There are virtually no gaps in our lineup.

3. I've been sorta invisible in most of the games, but I'm very happy with my performance in game 2

4. He certainly has the opportunity to carry us all the way there. It's our job to not allow many quality shots and not turn the puck over.

5. The highlight of my summer was hanging out with my buddies from back home after a long time.

6. I'm starting to really get back into Royal Blood.

I never assume a sweep is going to happen.  Always figure the other team will have a great game or we will have a sleepy goalie or sleepy offense or something.

I'm not sure.  We topped our point total from last season, which was the highest in Moscow history.  I like to think our depth is what has set us apart from other team.  We had that last year as well, so I'm not sure why but I agree the team feels special.  (Except for the fact that we are down 3-1 in our current series.)

3. How has your player performed so far in playoffs, do you think this performance is sustainable for the rest of the run?

I'm not sure, the biggest surprise is that my goals to assists ratio is heavily favoring goals.  Odd since I'm usually about 50/50 on them.

We probably need to stay out of the penalty box.  Even Papa in all his glory is going to struggle if we are spending too much time in the sin bin.

It's been a very chill summer for me.  Nothing major really happened, and I'm okay with that.

There was some talk recently in the Moscow locker room about some of these metalcore bands from my time in high school/college and out of that it has me listening to some Atreyu again.

1. After sweeping Davos, we wait for our Conference Finals challenger between Helsinki and Warsaw. Did you see the sweep coming?

I don't think you can ever see a sweep coming. Teams in the playoffs are there for a reason.

It's hard to say. Obviously we're in a 3-1 hole now, but I believe in the team.

3. How has your player performed so far in playoffs, do you think this performance is sustainable for the rest of the run?

I've been absolute trash. I'm desperate for my player to make a contribution

Need to stay out of the box as Warsaw have an elite powerplay.

A load of work. A crazy amount.

As Garsh said, I've got back into the music of my youth. I guess listening back to The Used.

1.I felt like the odds of it happened were pretty high but no I expected Davos to put up more of a fight.

2. Well Papa Emeritus playing like he is now is defintely giving us the competitive advantage. He's been hot so far this playoffs.

3. I feel like there's a need for improvement on my part in order to succeed against warsaw I haven't really shown what i'm capable of yet.

4. Of course, your goalie always has to be better than the guy at the other end in order to win. He's done that now we just gotta repay him the favor by staying the fuck out of the box.

5. I took a canoe trip at the beggining of the month, that has so far been my highlight of the summer.

6. Damn thats a name I haven't heard in a while, I've recently just been looking into what I used to listen to in high school. Lots of Death Metal, i've definitely relaxed in my music taste over the years and it's interesting to see. 

1. After sweeping Davos, we wait for our Conference Finals challenger between Helsinki and Warsaw. Did you see the sweep coming? Yeah Moscow in 4 was my prediction

I think one thing we had but also didn’t was veterans there is a lot of older guys on the team now 

I’m was very good at giving out water 

I think papa played great in all the games even most of our losses we just didn’t have something we needed

Hawaii was absolutely incredible 

I haven’t listened to new music much lately but sleepy hallow is one of my favorites right now 

Week of August 15th - 21st

1. Another disappointing end to the year, as we lose to the Warsaw Predators. Initial thoughts after the loss?

2. What are your main takeaways from the year as a whole? 

3. What do you focus on as we enter the off-season?

4. Do you see your player returning to the Menace for next season?

5. Who do you think is the most exciting prospect in this year's Entry Draft?

6. What skill will you be focusing on for Training Camp this season?

18 minutes ago, STZ said:

1. Another disappointing end to the year, as we lose to the Warsaw Predators. Initial thoughts after the loss?

1. Still a tough loss to swallow tbh, especially with 2 OT losses. I'm curious to see how many series we win if we played them 100 times for example. Such a close series that we could have won, and potentially win the Continental Cup after. At the same time, at least we lost to the champions I guess

2. A blast of a rookie season, with an incredible lockerroom and great atmosphere. Couldn't have asked for a better time personally, I was invested into every single game. Pleasantly surprised with my player's performance, and looking forward to the next season. Only thing that could have made it better was a Continental Cup

3. I'll probably do a bit of scouting for the draft class, but mostly I just chill. Focus on building my player and getting max TPE. Player-wise my goal at last pre-season was to be 750 TPE before the start of the S85 regular season, so we will see how that plays out.

4. 100%. Also looking forward to the 2 S84 draftees that will be making the jump. It's nice to see a future core already being established even while we are a contending team. So crucial to have solid prospects. 

5. Obviously Acyd's player Matt Murdock will be a generational goaltender. Although I find big interest in Astro Singh @8Ovechkin8 and Jesse Teno @aimkin, who I personally think both will be exceptional talents when we look back after their careers.

6 hours ago, STZ said:

1. Dissapointed and a little frustrated. I have one more year to my career so my window to win the cup is ticking so this gets harder to accept every season. I'm still proud of this team and what we've been able to accomplish during my career is pretty amazing, even without winning the cup.

2. Well the finals streak is broken that's the main takaway here.

3. Training, as I get older I need to work harder in the gym just to keep up to the young guys.

4. Of course I can't imagine myself playing in any other jersey.

5. I haven't really been following this year's prospects I admit, I just hope whoever we draft turns out.

6. I could work on my shot a little more.