Position depth encouragement

Problem: we have a lot more forwards than defense on every team in both levels. 

Possible solution 1: like goalie we allow new skater the ability to change position within their first month for free to what ever position they like. 

Possible solution 2: During character creation with the council of GM’s agree that a certain position is needed Defense or goalie  defense or goalie they will offer up They can offer up extra TPE for choosing a needed position I don’t think it needs to be big but enough for A returning user to think it’s large but for a new person let’s say an extra six TPE is huge if you only have a total of 30. 

Possible solution 3: During character creation we give some rough numbers of how many active players are in each position and the number of the VHLM teams And if there is an abnormal lack of a position then we here  purely suggest That they pick a certain if they want or choices and or to be in higher demand.

I don’t know if anybody else sees this as a problem. If you don’t see this as a problem I would love to see your reasoning. If you have a better idea of how to tackle this Please comment. I know there are potential pitfalls with just about every solution I gave boy I would love to hear someone else’s thought process.

8 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

I don’t know if anybody else sees this as a problem.

Having one defenseman on your team will tend to make you think of it as a problem, so I'm certainly with you on that one.

The only thing I'm concerned with is that there isn't as much of a demand for defensemen in the VHL. Most teams are fine with 3 solid defensemen and usually won't take on more than 4. Right now, we're actually balanced enough for most VHL teams, despite the VHLM being a mess. 

If we could get some more defensemen, that would certainly be nice, though. Maybe I wouldn't have to play my inactive forwards as defensemen simply because I don't have anyone else.

Maybe there's some way to incentivize having more of a 3-line system in the VHL?

21 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

Possible solution 3: During character creation we give some rough numbers of how many active players are in each position and the number of the VHLM teams And if there is an abnormal lack of a position then we here  purely suggest That they pick a certain if they want or choices and or to be in higher demand.

Other leagues have a position tracker right on the page with all the other new user information. Would be a good idea to copy that idea here

3 minutes ago, GustavMattias said:

Having one defenseman on your team will tend to make you think of it as a problem, so I'm certainly with you on that one.

The only thing I'm concerned with is that there isn't as much of a demand for defensemen in the VHL. Most teams are fine with 3 solid defensemen and usually won't take on more than 4. Right now, we're actually balanced enough for most VHL teams, despite the VHLM being a mess. 

If we could get some more defensemen, that would certainly be nice, though. Maybe I wouldn't have to play my inactive forwards as defensemen simply because I don't have anyone else.

Maybe there's some way to incentivize having more of a 3-line system in the VHL?

I think that's what Project jRuutu was trying to solve. I think you are correct in that most VHL teams are cool with 3 solid D but my question also comes from the huge imbalance of skaters to defense. Project jRuutu was pretty split on what to do with the influx of people, but you are correct in that they want the number of defense to stay around the same. So one problem that might arise in the future if my projections are correct is that we will probably expand again to fit the number of new people. The problem becomes if we are mostly growing in wingers eventually if we keep adding teams we will not have the 3-4 Defense that each team would like.  

2 hours ago, rjfryman said:

This should be a thing

Solution 3 sounds like the best. I'm enjoying playing as a defenseman for my 1st player, but it would be nice if I could try being a forward down the line without cluttering an already over-saturated position.

2 hours ago, rjfryman said:

I think that's what Project jRuutu was trying to solve. I think you are correct in that most VHL teams are cool with 3 solid D but my question also comes from the huge imbalance of skaters to defense. Project jRuutu was pretty split on what to do with the influx of people, but you are correct in that they want the number of defense to stay around the same. So one problem that might arise in the future if my projections are correct is that we will probably expand again to fit the number of new people. The problem becomes if we are mostly growing in wingers eventually if we keep adding teams we will not have the 3-4 Defense that each team would like.  

I was thinking a positional depth chart on creation in the VHL and VHLM like a player count compared to open positions

Just now, Esso2264 said:

every position needs to be full

I would be interested in seeing what you did, but i guess part of the issue is that if we are being honest the list is not static and it could change quickly. Like for example if we "encouraged" New players to sign up as D then we might get enough where we don't need to encourage as much. So it also is a technical problem that needs to be able to adapt quickly.

• Commissioner
37 minutes ago, rjfryman said:

I would be interested in seeing what you did, but i guess part of the issue is that if we are being honest the list is not static and it could change quickly. Like for example if we "encouraged" New players to sign up as D then we might get enough where we don't need to encourage as much. So it also is a technical problem that needs to be able to adapt quickly.

Would probably need to be something @Will codes into the player creation page so that it can constantly update itself.

On 5/9/2019 at 4:05 PM, Green said:

I would have considered defense for my next player. But Kevin Low though.....

Not sure if I'm ready for another @Smarch D in the league.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:35 PM, Smarch said:

Nobody can prepare themselves for my D

Green whatever you create i am sure it will be amazing :) ( Can never have too many D's in my opinion lol) Low is fantastic though and i'm not just saying that because he is on my team.

Not to Brag Smarch but I handle your D nightly as i set lines ;) lol (I done't think i wanna hear the comeback to this lmao)

2 hours ago, BladeMaiden said:

Green whatever you create i am sure it will be amazing :) ( Can never have too many D's in my opinion lol) Low is fantastic though and i'm not just saying that because he is on my team.

Not to Brag Smarch but I handle your D nightly as i set lines ;) lol (I done't think i wanna hear the comeback to this lmao)

I enjoy your soft hands handling my d