How does one become a Builder?

Victor

• Admin

So @Positivefan036 has inspired my VHL.com article for this week by talking about how he should be a Builder. He presents a solid case for himself but made me wonder - what is it that we look for in Builders when deciding on them in the Hall of Fame?

Well here's a spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KYxzieOVyjsU5ULnYetUHdTKVEHbfEcV9BM2Wxjv2g8/edit?usp=sharing

So, there have been 33 Builders inducted into the VHL Hall of Fame since the first Builder induction in S19. Of these, 30 have been VHL GMs at one point or another, and 24 have been members of the Board of Governors. The concepts seem to go hand in hand but it almost feels like in most cases those two roles come from being a Builder rather than helping someone's case as a Builder (with a few obvious exceptions like Pensfan, Greg, Mike and perhaps in the future someone like Bana, hedgehog or Bushito).

There's a few entries who have some unique roles like setting up the VHL Magazine, or doing a lot of GFX, or contributing to recruitment. Guaranteed boubabi would have gotten in on that basis alone if he hadn't lost his head. Looking forward, there's probably a role there for someone like Beaviss, although he probably needs another 10-15 seasons under his belt.

21 of the Builders have been either VHL or VHLM commissioner (Smarch and flyersfan spending some time in both roles). That understandably goes a long way, and while I am fairly certain we've inducted every VHL commish other than Quik, I don't have a full memory of all VHLM commishes and don't know if anyone other than eaglesfan and Bana is waiting for their call. I know Damien was VHLM commish for a bit but there might have been other omissions (Corco? Probably).

Overall, there's no real rhyme or reason to who gets into the HOF as a Builder - there's not even a guaranteed slot every season. But eaglesfan's little self promotion might just be enough to get him as on all accounts it is merited.

10 minutes ago, Victor said:

Looking forward, there's probably a role there for someone like Beaviss, although he probably needs another 10-15 seasons under his belt.

Another 5 years... Ouch

• Commissioner

It would be interesting to see how long each person had been involved prior to induction.

Edited by Josh.

• Admin
17 minutes ago, Josh. said:

It would be interesting to see how long each person had been involved prior to induction.

I've thrown in some rough numbers into the spreadsheet - doesn't account for any absences in between and obviously the fact most people will have contributed more at the start of their time than near the end (with a few exceptions).

20 seasons+ is a pretty good guide but depends on scale of achievements etc.

4 minutes ago, Will said:

Only person on this sheet with 5 unique items 

god builder 

unless you count historian ?

I'm at 4 ill catch you dad!

• Commissioner

FWIW I hadn’t been commish, Simmer, or BOG until after I was inducted. My article really needs some updating haha

I helped implement the largely successful two player project, served as VHLM Commissioner, ran the VHL magazine for a bit, did some sigs for people. These are all super valid reasons that I should be in.

Oh and also GM'd the Toronto Legion three-peat, the first and only of it's kind! 

/s

• 3 weeks later...

I like to think at one point in my VHL history I was actually a dark horse candidate to be inducted as a builder.

Also Beaviss should already be a builder tbh. The league is so far beyond where it's ever been when it comes to active members and recruiting, the league could have died by now without his efforts.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, .sniffuM said:

I like to think at one point in my VHL history I was actually a dark horse candidate to be inducted as a builder.

Also Beaviss should already be a builder tbh. The league is so far beyond where it's ever been when it comes to active members and recruiting, the league could have died by now without his efforts.

Agreed on both fronts although I'll say I don't think with @Beaviss it's a matter of resume. Just pecking order other names to get in allowing him a few more seasons to solidify his already well justified case to get in.

7 minutes ago, Devise said:

Agreed on both fronts although I'll say I don't think with @Beaviss it's a matter of resume. Just pecking order other names to get in allowing him a few more seasons to solidify his already well justified case to get in.

Thanks for the vote of confidence