S65 Draft - Where Are They Now?

Analyzing the S65 Draft a Few Seasons Later

On February 2nd, 2019, @McWolf posted his initial S65 mock draft, and in the surprise of the century, had Gritty dropping all the way to the 13th pick, despite being in 5th place tpe wise at the time and not being a goalie. While McWolf did ironically get the team selection correct, it is also ironic that McWolf himself is now inactive, and also that had had known bust creator @Da Trifecta going in the 1st round of his mock draft above Gritty. Let's check back in and see if McWolf was correct in placing Gritty all the way in the second round (spoiler alert, he wasn't)

Pick 1 - Carles Puigdemont - New York Americans 

Grade: D

Puigdemont did make some sense for New York at the time, as he was earning tpe at an extremely high rate, but there was still major risk in taking a first gen first overall (see @Dangles13 for more on this). Unfortunately for the Americans, @Eudaldkp appears to have gone inactive until further notice, and currently sits at 475 tpe. While 475 tpe can still be a decently useful cheap 2nd line player, that is no where near the production you want from your first overall pick.

Pick 2 - Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen - Davos Dynamo

Grade: A++

@flyersfan1453 has by far turned into the steal of the draft, as Smitty by far leads S65 draftees with 628 tpe earned so far. Based on his past players, Flyersfan could be considered one of the safest picks in the draft, as you knew you were getting a dependable player who would stick around. However, there were questions about Smitty's ceiling, as Flyersfan has been known to slow down and make welfare players in the past, but he must have been out to prove a point with his current player.

Pick 3 - Brady Stropko - Calgary Wranglers

Grade: A

@Bushito made a wise pick in drafting himself, because as a GM who can you trust to be a tpe whore and stick with the team more than yourself? This is partially why I think the GM 2nd player rule is dumb, but that compliant aside very smart but obvious pick for Calgary here. Stropko currently sits at 547 tpe and should become a top defensemen in a few seasons. 

Pick 4 - Gritty - Vancouver Wolves

Grade: B

@Positivefan036 was a risky pick for Vancouver, as he seems to be very boom or bust with his players, either showing full commitment to them in Tim TebowGow or Robert Gow III, or quickly fading off like with Chat or The Process. Beaviss made a wise selection here, as he noticed Gritty's activity level heading into the draft, and made the calculated risk that Eaglesfan would be committed to this player. Gritty currently sits at 460 tpe, making him a solid but unspectacular selection for the Wolves. 

Pick 5 - Roll Fizzlebeef - Calgary Wranglers

Grade: B

@TacticalHammer has been pretty consistent in slowly but steadily building up his tpe, as he currently sits at 441 tpe. While he may not be the most active member on the boards, he has consistently been earning that tpe through his job as an updater and welfare and such. Once again solid but unspectacular selection.

Pick 6 - Elasmobranch Fish - Calgary Wranglers

Grade: A -

Fish was another defensemen taken by Calgary with a 1st round pick, and should form quite a good pairing with Stropko for years to come, as he currently sits at 458 tpe. I also really like his build as his top two stats are defense and puck handling. 

Pick 7 - Dallas Jones - Davos Dynamo

Grade: C - 

@Da Trifecta came into the draft with the most mediocre or bust potential, as I can't remember his last player that he hasn't retired early. While he can be a great tpe earner at times, he often fizzles off and retires either due to some fake outrage on VHL from being a little snowflake, or real life events keeping him busy. Davos quickly became aware of their silly mistake and traded Jones to Calgary for a S66 1st. Jones currently sits at 328 tpe as he went inactive for a while, but his agent claims he will return to activity after getting traded to his 4th team in three seasons.

Pick 8 - Matthew Kai - Vancouver Wolves

Grade: D - 

No offense to @FBR here, but my recollection of him from the past is a welfare player who is pretty quiet and can make decent depth players, but not really a 1st round worthy guy. I wasn't paying enough attention at the time to understand Beaviss's thought process on this one. Kai has pretty much turned into what I described above, as he currently sits at 336 tpe and kinda sorta does welfare and a practice facility every now and then.

Pick 9 - Denver Wolfe - Vancouver Wolves

Grade: A

Hats off to @iRockstar for completely defying my expectations and remaining an active stud currently with 469 tpe. Most of his player's before this have been duds who went inactive very early, so great selection by Beaviss here who saw something everyone else did not. Wolfe should remain a very good defensemen in this league for a while.

Pick 10 - Bald Guy - Helsinki Titans

Grade: D - 

While I do approve of the great name, @Galdoblame appears to be inactive and only has 287 tpe to his name. While he could remain 5th defensemen, that is not what you want out of the 1st pick of the 2nd round in this day and age. Much better players were taken after him, but he doesn't get the F because 287 tpe is at least something of use (and almost as much as Trifecta has!)

Pick 11 - Anthony Matthews

Grade: B - 

Riga's first pick of the draft was a good one in theory, as @Anthony Matthews currently sits at 390 tpe, and remains solidly active. I do have to question his player build some though, as he has prioritized some of the not so important traits with 90 faceoffs and 75 strength. This led to his regular season point production being terrible at just 17 points. If Matthews continues down this route, his player will continue to eat a good chunk of cap space while not performing like a player of his tpe calibre. There is nothing wrong with this if Matthew's focus is on being the best faceoff man in the VHL, but his talents might be better suited to teams who aren't currently focused on contending. 

Edited by Positivefan036

No offense taken, I'm the first one to know that I'm on my way to being a bust. I wanted to make my best player yet, but real-life happened and then, my PC got hacked, so I lost a lot of stuff including my bio (WIP) and photoshop.

Lots o' shit..

4 minutes ago, FBR said:

No offense taken, I'm the first one to know that I'm on my way to being a bust. I wanted to make my best player yet, but real-life happened and then, my PC got hacked, so I lost a lot of stuff including my bio (WIP) and photoshop.

Lots o' shit..

Sorry to hear about your PC :(

Im not inactive. It just not worth the effort to do so many task every week to only upgrade a stat once per week.

I always come back for the team camp and get my exp. Bald Guy have the highest exp of any recruit in his draft and probably have the highest +- too, because that's how my build work.

I could always upgrade skating and ck, but ck = a lot of penalty , and sk = change in player decision, which are ,imo, more important than even the stat.

I could almost argue my build is done and im just waiting for the exp. Just a shame my team don't use my player as leader, because my leadership is currently wasted TP :(

On 7/3/2019 at 12:33 AM, Galdoblame said:

Im not inactive. It just not worth the effort to do so many task every week to only upgrade a stat once per week.

I always come back for the team camp and get my exp. Bald Guy have the highest exp of any recruit in his draft and probably have the highest +- too, because that's how my build work.

I could always upgrade skating and ck, but ck = a lot of penalty , and sk = change in player decision, which are ,imo, more important than even the stat.

I could almost argue my build is done and im just waiting for the exp. Just a shame my team don't use my player as leader, because my leadership is currently wasted TP :(

+/- and experience are signs of being on a good team, not being a good player

On 7/3/2019 at 12:33 AM, Galdoblame said:

Just a shame my team don't use my player as leader, because my leadership is currently wasted TP

To be fair, you had an A in the sim both seasons, so can't really blame the team for that...