Salary Structure/Cap Rework and give Rookies Rights

While I understand the need for minimums based on TPA, the fact that most people are taking league minimum or needing everyone to take league minimum is boring. There should be more action in FA with teams actually bidding on players (would need to make offers private) and players needing to make a decision between money and team like irl. This would require a rework of the player store costs and an increase in the salary cap (which will be needed again anyways as teams are seemingly switch to 9-6-1 from 6-4-1 or at the least not punish teams for wanting to run depth).

Another suggestion would be moving to a system like the EFL uses, as well as bring back RFA for rookies.

• Rookie: A player in their 1st or 2nd season after being drafted (considered as entry-level period)
  • Prime: A player who is not eligible to be on a Rookie contract and is not regressing. (Seasons 3-5)
  • Veteran: A player in Regression. (Seasons 6-8)

Rookie Contract Structure:

Rookie Contracts must be a minimum of 1 season, and a maximum of 2 seasons.
    If the contract is only 1 season long, the rookie will be considered a restricted free agent.
    If the contract is 2 seasons long, the rookie has the option to pursue unrestricted free agency at the conclusion of the contract.
    If a rookie is not offered a contract by the last day of the succeeding pre-season, they will become an unrestricted free agent.
    If a rookie contract concludes while the player is still eligible for RFA, their new contract must continue to abide by rookie rules for any seasons where they are still RFA eligible.

Prime Contract Structure:

A prime contract will come into effect starting with a player's 3rd season.
    At the expiration of a contract, a player will become an unrestricted free agent.

Veteran Contract Structure:

A veteran contract will come into effect starting when a player enters regression (Season 6)
    At the expiration of a contract, a player will become an unrestricted free agent

Your ELC as a rookie would be either

1 season - go to RFA

2 seasons - go to UFA

This gives rookies more options on what they want to experience as well as the possibility of holdouts and arbitration.
Players outside of ELC's would be allowed to sign 1-6 season contracts but their minimums would be affected based on their age.
I have adjusted minimums, it doesn't make sense that a 200TPA player makes 1.5M in the M but makes less in the VHL. Should be equal at least.

Rookie                     Prime                 Veteran

Under 200 TPA  –              $1 500 000             $2 000 000        $1 750 000

201-300 TPA–                    $1 750 000             $2 250 000        $2 000 000

301-400 TPA –                   $2 000 000             $2 500 000        $2 250 000

401-500 TPA –                   $2 500 000             $3 250 000        $2 750 000

501-600 TPA –                   $3 000 000             $3 750 000        $3 250 000

601-700 TPA–                    $3 500 000             $4 500 000        $4 000 000

701-800 TPA–                    $4 000 000             $5 000 000        $4 500 000

801-900 TPA –                   $4 500 000             $5 500 000        $5 000 000

901+ TPA –                         $5 000 000            $6 000 000         $5 500 000

With the Current cap ceiling being $45 000 000 to implement this without harming any current teams I would guess the cap would need to bump up to $50 000 000 or $55 000 000.

I would love to see some suggestions for what we can do to make it so contracts have a reason and not just pick the team and take minimum. I'm hoping this would give rookies some power, allow players actual negotiations, create a few arbitrations or holdouts and give teams some leniency on depreciating vets (as not everyone will bank enough to hold on)

I'd like to see what ideas other people have so please post them in the thread and maybe we can come up with something better than this or tweaked!

Since Beaviss likes the idea of RFA @Beaviss
Also @Quik and @Beketov since this is about your league

10 minutes ago, Nykonax said:

I think it should still be a max of 3 seasons, but change structure to:

1 season - become RFA

2/3 seasons - become UFA

Nope 3 seasons of RFA then UFA after. Can sign anywhere from 1 to 3 as a rookie but the team holds your rights.

3 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Nope 3 seasons of RFA then UFA after. Can sign anywhere from 1 to 3 as a rookie but the team holds your rights.

I know what the rules are, im saying that's what it's should be changed to.

Another thought would be

Rookie (1-3 year contract, years 1+2 fall under rookie TPA brackets, year 3 falls under prime)

1 season RFA

2 seasons RFA

3 seasons UFA

Prime years

S3-5

Vet years

S6-8

8 hours ago, Rayzor_7 said:

the fact that most people are taking league minimum or needing everyone to take league minimum is boring. There should be more action in FA with teams actually bidding on players (would need to make offers private) and players needing to make a decision between money and team like irl.

Happened this offseason. Davos payed a bit extra on Davis to land his services, and Davis chose to cash in and get a big payday

1 hour ago, ShawnGlade said:

Happened this offseason. Davos payed a bit extra on Davis to land his services, and Davis chose to cash in and get a big payday

How'd that work out for Davos?

QyXcsx1.png

7 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

And then Davos misses the playoffs because they have an inefficient salary cap allocation due to a stupid selfish player wanting extra money for minimal reward while hurting his teams cup competing chances. In my opinion anyone who actually wants to be on a winning team who demands more than minimum is a moron, and as a GM I would pass on that every time. 

1 minute ago, eaglesfan036 said:

And then Davos misses the playoffs because they have an inefficient salary cap allocation due to a stupid selfish player wanting extra money for minimal reward while hurting his teams cup competing chances. In my opinion anyone who actually wants to be on a winning team who demands more than minimum is a moron, and as a GM I would pass on that every time. 

This is exactly why I want the change. We shouldn't have a league where you must take league minimum. There's no point in negotiating contracts or even FA really. 

• Commissioner
8 hours ago, ShawnGlade said:

Wasn't it like .5 over minimum? But anyways... until the store offers some more interesting stuff... people are going to keep taking minimums. 

38 minutes ago, Josh said:

Wasn't it like .5 over minimum? But anyways... until the store offers some more interesting stuff... people are going to keep taking minimums. 

Well then we could look at offering new things and increasing prices on some

1 hour ago, Josh said:

The Vlady Putin Package

70 million dollars - buy an extra season in your career

4 hours ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Was not a salary cap issue that derailed Davos' season

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I think it was 1.5 over min

I think the issue with limiting rookie contracts to 2 seasons and then opening UFA after is it devalues draft picks. When a team drafts a player they presume they have 3 seasons of them. Considering the reality that a lot of players stay in the VHLM an extra season or two, I think @Higgins amendment that it's 2 VHL seasons is probably smarter. But again I don't really see how that would wind up being too different to what we already have? Most members stay in the VHLM generally one extra season, so most wind up spending 2 seasons in VHL before they become a UFA anyways. Changing it to 2 VHL seasons punishes the members who take a little longer to get to the VHL. If they wind up say taking another season, then they have 4 seasons of their career burnt before they can test FA if they wished. 

As for the Veteran stuff, I've long since advocated for it to return (we used to have a veteran tier bracket) but a big reason it wasn't was due to the high amount of TPE's elite members can get. If I recall correctly it was removed so that teams were still paying good amounts for the TPA of their players. Otherwise the Thompsons and Dragomirs of the world would come at a discount despite being some of the highest TPA players in the league. But it's kind of a give and take there anyways, because if your not an elite earner depreciation hits you hard and those members may still mantain respectful TPA's, but their TPA to TPE is so off and yet you still pay prime salary for them. Probably some sort of system where it can work, maybe just less of a discount on the veteran contract the higher the TPA brackets get? I'd love to see some form of veteran back though, especially with how harsh depreciation is on everyone who isn't earning high amounts of TPE or close to the cap every week. 

36 minutes ago, Devise said:

I think the issue with limiting rookie contracts to 2 seasons and then opening UFA after is it devalues draft picks.

Well I'm open to rookies being able to sign up to 3 years. The thought is that they will go to RFA only if they don't like the team or didn't want to be there in the first place. In this case the GM's do have the option of trading or not drafting in the first place. If they get to RFA there would still be compensation if they sign elsewhere. But that would be discussed upon bring it back.

39 minutes ago, Devise said:

I'd love to see some form of veteran back though, especially with how harsh depreciation is on everyone who isn't earning high amounts of TPE or close to the cap every week

Yeah again, would be open to suggestions on how to level it out if we bring it back I'm just trying to push the idea out here for all of this

11 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

Devise defending the value of drafts picks so he can trade them hehe

Haha, moreso that more GM's don't just pull a me and one crackpot GM winds up owning the majority of draft picks one season for the fun of it. Be a funny to see draft predictions though. 

16 hours ago, Rayzor_7 said:

the GM's do have the option of trading or not drafting in the first place. If they get to RFA there would still be compensation if they sign elsewhere. But that would be discussed upon bring it back.

Except this is already what happens, so why go through all this work to add extra stuff to the portal, rulebook, etc.....for something that already happens and isn't a problem?

We had RFAs for I'm guessing 75% of the league's existence, and they were never, ever used. Arbitration existed, and again, was never used.

The problem with contract money in general is that, unlike real life, what are we going to use it on? There's obvious reasons for Marner to want $11 million a year or whatever it is instead of $7 million or whatever. In VHL land though, that money can be redeemed for actual, performance enhancing purchases, which are supposed to have trade offs (immediate TPE help vs. help against depreciation). Once you start injecting more money into the league, you upset that balance, creating even more problems from an attribute/TPA management perspective.

Everything we have is balanced on the idea that a player takes the minimum. So we can either change everything to accommodate this one idea, or realize that, in this particular instance, the current structure is the way that it is for a reason. And I hate using that wording because it makes it sound like the league is perfect and is inflexible to change (though if you look big picture in 2, 5, and even 10 year intervals, you'll see the league has changed dramatically), but for this particular idea, it just really forces too many other changes to be possible, IMO.

As for contract length - team gets 3 seasons of control, you get 5 seasons to determine where you want to go. In a draft + in general North American style league, I think this is perfectly fair. Teams get you for 3 of your lesser seasons guaranteed, while you're given the ability to leave during your prime years.

Edited by flyersfan1453

For the most part, @flyersfan1453 nailed it on the head with his post. Salary has one purpose in the league, and that's for the player store. Right now, we've got a decent balance of money being allocated to players vs. what is available for purchase. In fact, any player who is earning max TPE is basically able to purchase most, if not all depreciation fighters, as well as 1-2 TPE packages. Salary inflation was curbed a bit with the axing of Sponsorships, but the point stands that unless we look into raising the prices of store items again, salary is at a decent point right now.

The cap itself was adjusted last season to allow some leeway for teams, should they want to bid higher on players, fit more players on their roster, or make other moves. It's always been fluid and will be adjusted as needed, but with 2 teams coming in next season, it's unlikely to change at the moment.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:25 PM, Devise said:

But it's kind of a give and take there anyways, because if your not an elite earner depreciation hits you hard and those members may still mantain respectful TPA's, but their TPA to TPE is so off and yet you still pay prime salary for them

TPA is calculated after depreciation, so vets are being paid their 'real' worth now, vs the old days when the TPE vs. TPA argument was true. The only time it isn't truly the value of the player is if they're hanging onto banked TPE to fight later depreiation, where the argument has been that it's the player's decision to bank. Personally, that's the place where I'd be willing to look at, and say that if a player locks their bank for the season, they can drop to their actual TPA, vs. their TPA+Bank. Otherwise, there's really no way to govern people who leave their tpe in the bank until after TPA is calculated, and then add it in after.