CGY/SEA; S68

VHL Bot

6.7 – Reacquiring a Player Previously Traded
A player may not be re-acquired by the same team within the next 2 seasons (including the one the player was traded in) via trade.

This is still in rulebook so I assume this is still a thing?  

2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

A player may not be re-acquired by the same team within the next 2 seasons (including the one the player was traded in) via trade.

This is still in rulebook so I assume this is still a thing?  

It’s been done about 5 times already in the past 10 seasons

51 minutes ago, Bushito said:

This.

Also, who gives a shit? They’re fair deals - with value being exchanged each time? There’s nothing malicious. No intentions of bending loopholes or the system. Just movements of assets and players for legitimate reasons. I don’t see the harm. 

DA BEARS STRIKE FEAR

• Commissioner
3 hours ago, Bushito said:

Has it though? I don't recall seeing any; though admittedly I don't pay attention to every single trade.

Holding off on putting this through until we can look into things. As per the rules it's not allowed however I'm not sure if precedent has been to let that rule slide or not.

11 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Has it though? I don't recall seeing any; though admittedly I don't pay attention to every single trade.

Holding off on putting this through until we can look into things. As per the rules it's not allowed however I'm not sure if precedent has been to let that rule slide or not.

Why is it not allowed..? What are we preventing? With these two trades - what exactly was harmful or malicious? They’re good deals - good assets - not bull shit trades?

What exactly is the problem here? 

• Commissioner
5 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Why is it not allowed..? What are we preventing? With these two trades - what exactly was harmful or malicious? They’re good deals - good assets - not bull shit trades?

What exactly is the problem here? 

The problem is the rules are very clear. We can’t just say “we’ll the rules say this but this instance is fine so fuck the rules.” People want more things in stone instead of being subjective, that’s what you get.

I’m not saying we won’t allow it I’m saying I want to look at it. As per the rules it’s an illegal trade.

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

The problem is the rules are very clear. We can’t just say “we’ll the rules say this but this instance is fine so fuck the rules.” People want more things in stone instead of being subjective, that’s what you get.

I’m not saying we won’t allow it I’m saying I want to look at it. As per the rules it’s an illegal trade.

I’m asking what it prevents or what the purpose of it is...

What harm is there in trading back assets? Look at both deals? What’s harmful? What’s negative? How does it poorly affect the league? Both deals were good with solid assets moving to each team every team? I don’t see anything to raise an alarm or have a rule about here - just saying. 

As per the rules, it is. I’d look at the rules because it seems that rules is slightly outdated. 

This rules are generally in place to avoid literal rental deals. Lending a player to another team for their playoff run just to re-acquire them that off-season.

Which honestly I don't think is a terrible thing. Is there any difference between that and trading an expiring FA just to sign them again?

• Commissioner
32 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Is there any difference between that and trading an expiring FA just to sign them again?

That’s also generally frowned upon and something I was pretty sure was in the rules until Quik and I looked at them a few seasons ago. It’s also in place to generally avoid teams dumping cap space to rebuilding teams in exchange for taking it back at a slightly later date. In general, like you said, not a huge deal.

With @Quik on vacation I discussed it with @Will and we agreed to amend the rule to the following:

All trades involving a player being re-acquired by a team that traded them within the previous 2 seasons, including the season in which they were traded (i.e. if they were traded in S68, S68 and S69), will be subject to extra scrutiny by league administration. If the trade is found to have malicious intent that is damaging to the league (such as a temporary cap deferral arrangement), the Commissioner's Office reserves the right to veto it. 

So this trade will be allowed but in the future please don’t try to just get away with things that are against the rules. We’re way more likely to allow things if you just come to us with them instead of breaking the rule and then trying to argue it’s a dumb rule.