Campbell's Corner #3

Banackock

GFg34Sz.png?width=930%26height=372&key=6

Edition #3: We're evolving, so is the season.

Completed: Monday, November 25th, 2019.

Another week has come and gone in the VHL and we're starting to see how the rest of the season could go. If we compared the standings, which one day we'll be able to do between articles (hint, hint special projects machine), we'd see that things aren't moving at the top or the bottom a whole lot and there's a fair amount of movement in the middle of the zones which is to be expected. New York, DC and Davos make up the bottom 3 and Moscow, Helsinki and Vancouver make up the top 3. We've had some magical moments in the VHL so far this week and things are heating up. I'm sick of this intro already, so let's just start making some thunder and get right done to some fun business this week. 

Under The Scope

This is going to be a weekly segment I do believe for Campbell's Corner. This little piece is where we're going to take some of the events or topics from this week and fire them right underneath the laboratory microscopes and have a good old orgy time analyzing what exactly was going on etc. A friendly reminder that the entirety of Campbell's corner is clearly a playoff on Coaches Corner and the loud mouthed, heavily loved Don Cherry and his opinionated ways etc. While we do play off that and while it will likely be somewhat difficult to know what is a joke, most things here are lighthearted but always are they going to be truthful. Know that I love 99.99% of you in the VHL. The 0.01% know who they are. With that being said, let's put the saddle on the pony and address the first elephant in the room.

I don't know how to talk Finnish but I met a guy at work who is a little higher up who came from there and his fingers are like individual sausages and the entire hand is a baseball glove. It is not my assumption that all people from Finland have oversized hands. Sorry to almost every man whose encountered one and afterwards felt small. It's not your fault. All that last jibber jabber, we can apply to this seasons Helsinki Titans. For me, they were a sinking team that was in need of saving. The team was getting older and could very well of see their best days and their GM/League Commissioner is nowhere to be found. Some still counter-argue that he went on vacation 1.5 months ago. WILSSSOOOON (little volleyball man). That's a story for another time though. Now, Helsinki is looking real good and I'd probably like to think a lot of members are praising @Jubo07 for stepping in and saving the team. For me? Way too soon to say. The team is clicking hardcore. 60 GF in 20 GP is pretty good. But I'm not convicted it has anything to do with him and at this moment, would be screaming STHS. His conference/division is a tough one and while the team isn't terrible, I put both Moscow and Malmo quite a ways ahead of the Titans. Again, though... you could argue many ways. This season, they have a record of 7-4-1 against teams which you could deem difficult. 8 if you count Calgary but I refuse to count Prague's etc. Time will tell but either way, differences aside, I like what I've seen from him for the most part so far.

Topic numero two. Smitty and Gritty. They were the talk of the town when free agency hit. Some would even say more than some of the other players that were out there. Some were pretty non-existent. I'm sure teams gave a shit, but did you really hear any hype regarding them? It was the few huge big names with the mixture of this deadly duo. They wanted to go somewhere together and that was lethal. As a GM, I won't shed too much light on all my thoughts regarding the situation but Smitty is a massive addition to the team and apparently so is Gritty. Thinking now, a lot of people probably had them going to Toronto and them once again pulling a horseshoe out of their ass and finding a way for Ryan to pad is stats without ever even thinking about draft picks or drafting. To be honest, does he even know how? Now Moscow somehow found the whole horse in their ass this off-season, found people who were willing to dance to eat up all their shit contracts to get under the right amount and landed these two boys. Huge win. Really changed them team, conference and entire VHL. When I first started writing this and thought of mentioning these two in it, they were 1-2-3, along with Randoms, in the VHL for most points. Now they're tied in 2nd and 3rd with a bunch of people but the fact these 2 are so near the top for this shit really gives me a few feelings. One, happy that these guys are finding awesome success. Two, despite not ending up as Bears which would have been bad ass, they're really turning Moscow from a dud of a team that didn't turn out, to pure magic. Very excited to see what these 2 have in store for the remainder of the season. Better hope they stay hot and Randoms stays random. @flyersfan1453 @eaglesfan036 @hedgehog337

The last topic I'm going to touch on this week is just the VHL as a whole. I've been extremely busy the last little while and have felt an extreme amount of being burnt out in life and on this site. Somehow, I still find a way to come on and not die out like our wonderful league pal, @Quik. For anyone who doesn't know, he's been on vacation for a month+ now with know end in sight. Man must have money if he's vacationing that long - damn. Moving on, the VHL has seen a lot of kind of days. I remember joining this league and having that awesome excitement of everything this league can bring you. I've seen shitty days where members were at one another throats, or maybe I was going at someone or they were coming at me. I've watched @Beketov tell poor, innocent (and soon to be most annoying) @DilIsPickle to fuck off. I've also almost watched Canadian Civil war break out during election debates over on discord.... And us Canadian's think American's are intense? True, but we're intense too, lol. SARRY. We've actually had a time in the VHL where everyone was crying that the league was going to die and members were dropping left and right and league management maybe was stale - IDK? Stale could mean busy or needing of change? huh... It was crazy. The more you heard the words "the league is dying", the more you started to see it - whether it was true or not. Despite the shitty times, look where we are now. You might dislike some members or not agree with them or for whatever reason always bump heads - but think about it. We're just all humans living in this crazy big world with so many fucked up things happening and becoming. Somehow we all ended up here to make up this community and to me, that's a good thing. It's a good reminder for me that despite the differences I have with people on here, I still appreciate them, their presence and everything that they bring to the league because of those 2 things. Keep up the great work VHL and keep on keeping on!

S7QQvsX.jpg

Shall we go on a journey to find the true VHL Heavy-weight Champion?

The VHL is a wonderful place where our members get so many experiences and what not. You get to live out your dream of playing hockey in a big league that matters - the equivalence to the NHL, maybe you're a massive hockey fan/nerd and bleed hockey to the point that this is your kind of thing (mostly for me), or you like to meet new people, like the concept and such and are here more for the personal experience. I don't know and I don't care but it's awesome that you're here, okay? Don't ever let anyone tell you any different. ALL MEMBERS LIVES MATTER! People should apply that statement to a real life movement. ALL. It's they keyword there. Moving along, this league allows you the freedom to create whatever player you want, however you want to and blah blah. Scorer. Passer. Goalie that does goalie stuff - shout out to @Sonnet and @Poptart for being my 2 favourite goalies outside of the big pay cheque bad boy of Seattle, AKA @Rayzor_7. One thing you don't really see ever in this league is the enforcer and that's sad. Now I get it. It's probably a shitty build to go through. What team wants a player that doesn't put into PA/SC really and just drops the mitts and racks up the penalty minutes? It's shit. I don't want that on Seattle. But the concept is awesome and It would be neat to see it be a part of the league. That's exactly the purpose of Ice Chips. Let's shine some light on the baddest of the bad in the VHL. Do you punch out teeth for a living in the VHL? Do you consider yourself a champion in terms of fighting or toughness when on the ice? Are you the gooniest of all goons? And no, we don't mean @Gooningitup and @Goon.. although, if you looked at their profile pictures and such, you'd argue against that. Ice chips is going to be all about you... the enforcer.

Unfortunately, I'm a lazy piece of shit who just got done a day of work. I recently smoked the silly grass and am now relaxed. I wrote a massive chunk today and yesterday so I'm going to have to leave you with the wonderful cliffhanger of wondering where this exciting, bad ass, new little series called ICE CHIPS is going to go. Stay tuned my friends. It's time for us to crown a league heavy-weight champion. 

Weekly Breakdown: To be continued

A small little project I have on the go that will further allow us to look deep inside our weekly reviews. Of course I will be looking at ways to improve this in the future but for now I think this is a good start. I'll be bringing you a spreadsheet each week that will be updated with the current Monday to Sunday simulation statistics, as well as all previous weeks of that season included in the spreadsheet for comparison purposes. Something along those lines anyway. Can't really release too many specifics and whatever as it still is under construction and likely will be for a few weeks. We want to make sure it's awesome when it comes out. Just was excited and had to leak some info. HYPE! But until then, I'm going to put this bad boy down to rest and do some other things until we can come out with this full charge. YA!

Weekly Stats: Coming soon. It's going to be magic. @rjfryman + @VanCanWin wink

Final Message

Not every one of these is going to have a final message - I don't think. However, I did want to say that I've been very excited for Campbell's Corner - watching it grow and evolve into a fun little project (pretty massive if we do the word count). In fact, I think my last article topped a good chunk of work previous VSN management did in total... alone... That one article, hehe. Anyway, exciting stuff coming forward. Pumped about the Weekly Breakdown, despite being quite some time away from that. Ice Chips is going to be an adventure too. Always feel free to drop your opinions in here and start up some discussion and never be afraid to send me your suggestions on improvements and what not. Thanks VHL and have yourselves a great week. See yah next week ;) 

Executive President of the VSN 

Bana