The Barzy Career Arc

BarzalGoat

Hello all,

I feel like it's time to reintroduce myself to all of those who really care to read 600 creative words from me, as it's been a while since I've been as active in the VHL as I have been lately. My name is Barzy, but you can call me Dan, sorta like my original player Dan Montgomery (smooth segue). I joined the VHL way back in season 61 (ancient times to some) off of a reddit post in the r/newyorkislanders subreddit made by the one and only @Spade18, and then quickly joined with @Smarch on the Yukon Rush. This quickly led to me having a midnight deep dive of the VHL and getting quite overwhelmed with how exactly to create a player. The week I joined was pretty much the last week before the VHLPortal was active, so my original player is probably among the last to have started a player update page, which I do not care to find. What I did care to find was this article from my first media spot in 2018. Here's some review screenshots from some familiar faces, singing my praise @DollarAndADream and @Banackock.

image.thumb.png.9e6ff99346cf60c082ab084d8577eb92.pngimage.png.810d98cc208ad23f1780c26d42510759.png

So obviously you can tell I was kind of a big deal back in my day (2018 was my day). So now we can fast forward and Smarch in his wisdom as anointed me as AGM of the Yukon Rush- not many AGMs if any existed at this time if I recall- and he really just wanted to step down at the end of the season. Well, when he saw a bright up and comer like me, he handed the reigns over for the playoff run where we promptly blew it with a much better team (keep this in mind). Now after a full offseason of getting meme'd and losing most of my players, I knew what I needed to do .... TANK! So Tank I did, and I was able to gather up 3/6 of the first round selections in next year's draft by trading up and comers @Enorama and @SidTheKid87. This led to me having a well stocked team for what was to be my final season as a GM (until @Josh my AGM took over due to my inactivity on this front). Well, we rode being the best team through the regular season, into the playoffs, and if you remember from earlier.... we lost in 5 to I believe Oslo (now Minnesota) or Ottawa. Heartbroken, I kept going and focused on my player, Dan Montgomery, who had just transitioned from Center to Defenseman.

We'll skip Monty's first 2 seasons in the VHL now that you know he never won anything in the VHLM, because they were spent with Helsinki, the team that drafted him, and an empty locker room, with a lame duck GM in @Higgins. Things soon changed as the OG bossman himself @Quik took over Helsinki once again, and promised great things to this wide-eyed first gen. Quickly, he and Quik decided it would be better for the team if he moved to Dman with a large crop of incoming forward talent namely, Kronos Bailey and @Jubo07, and even a once-in-a-generation goalie in Alexander Pepper @Sonnet. This Helsinki team is where I started to coast and become a welfare kind of player, which was fine given the nice TPE base I had given myself from ~4 seasons of hard work and TPE earning. My grinding resulted in a season 66 to remember where I made all-VHL first team, won the Alexander Valiq trophy, and most importantly my only Continental Cup (so far). This Titans team should've earned more, as we had so many great life-long Titans, but that season really was it. We made the finals a couple more times if I recall, but then kind of trailed off....

and so with it my VHL career seemed to come to a nice, and subtle ending... until @Beaviss and Bana convinced me to recreate on a whim, and Xavier leFlamant was born! 

Xavier is everything I wanted to do with Dan Montgomery where he's a colorful character, a forward (after I sheepishly moved Dan to defenseman), and even a non-USA player so I could make every world cup team. I chose to be from Martinique mostly because I wanted to pick a non-France French speaking country where I could flap my "flamingo" wings. This ended up being extra cool because it teaches people Americans like me do know geography, which some people refuse to believe. While this choice resulted in a few early exits in the world juniors tournament, it was still a great decision for me nonetheless (thanks @Pengu and @Zetterberg for those memories).

Which of course leads me to Xavier's time in the VHL, where I am today! I was lucky enough to be drafted by my once mentee (seriously) and now TPE whoring online-friend Enorama, at 20th overall. Like seriously guys read all of the above that I just wrote including DaaD calling me a VHL stud and then imagine I get taken 20th overall, what an absolute steal from my once mentee (I taught him well). I get to play with some new faces I've never seen before in @GRZ (The Great Mikko) and work under a great AGM I've never played with in @fonziGG, along with some ever familiar faces. I even got @McWolf (who I didn't want to not name here) kicked out of the lockerroom for spying because his player SuperSmall Hornet had made the VHL. As a whole, I'm happy with my VHL experience, and glad to see where it goes from here. Seriously, I sat down here to try my best at writing 450 words and now I'm over 900 so I get to claim this for a media spot next week as well, absolutely sick. In summary kids, stay in the VHL it's fun, it won't rot your brain... BARZY OUT

claiming 6+$500 donation bonus free week ending 6/21

claiming 6 2eek ending 6/28

Edited by BarzalGoat

Being somewhat new to the league (only in first season on first created player!), I am always fascinated by the history lessons the ones who have been here for 8-10+ seasons can give, and I like seeing where careers can go, especially with multiple players. That said, this was a great read! There were a couple of things that a newbie just wouldn't be able to understand, even if only because they simply weren't present for the events. For example, what happened with you and inactivity? Was there something that drove you to that? Why was Higgins a lame duck? Questions like these are not essential to understanding your article (hence why I still loved it!), but they provide some needed context for those who are not veterans. It would have helped me understand more. In any case, I look forward to seeing more of your writing! Score, 7/10

18 minutes ago, BarzalGoat said:

Your reacts feed my ego, but also did I break a record for most @'s without a members tag? 

I mean, you may have broken the record for most individual tags in a Media Spot ?

30 minutes ago, BarzalGoat said:

This ended up being extra cool because it teaches people Americans like me do know geography, which some people refuse to believe

Where is Oslo?

18 minutes ago, ahockeyguy said:

Being somewhat new to the league (only in first season on first created player!), I am always fascinated by the history lessons the ones who have been here for 8-10+ seasons can give, and I like seeing where careers can go, especially with multiple players. That said, this was a great read! There were a couple of things that a newbie just wouldn't be able to understand, even if only because they simply weren't present for the events. For example, what happened with you and inactivity? Was there something that drove you to that? Why was Higgins a lame duck? Questions like these are not essential to understanding your article (hence why I still loved it!), but they provide some needed context for those who are not veterans. It would have helped me understand more. In any case, I look forward to seeing more of your writing! Score, 7/10

1. I went inactive because I joined after graduating university and then got a bit of a demanding job which took a lot of my free time away. Due to some fortuitous internal role changes at my job, I have some more time again and especially with WFH the VHL is a great daytime distraction for me.

2. Higgins was a great member of this league for a long time but after like 15 seasons as GM he was just burnt out, and didn't want to do it any more. He left the team with me and 1 other active player who retired that season, so i was all alone when Quik got me

7 hours ago, ahockeyguy said:

Some of us here have been here for literal years. My first player I made was in S35, so I've been here for 6 years. There's guys here that have been here twice as long as that, plus more. It's pretty interesting.

Regarding inactivity, sometimes if you've been here for that long, you just need a break and a reset.