Couple of Small notices

Beketov

1 hour ago, MattyIce said:

If this was on discord rn, there would be no less than 500 replies to this.  Not sure if that's a good thing

I feel like people moderate themselves much better on the forum where their words will last forever.

I dunno where I said it last week, but it's still true. You get people to change their behaviour with carrots and sticks.

The carrots to get people to the forums aren't working. That means the sticks need to come out.

It seems like the time for throwing TPE to forum participation has passed, and now the sticks have come out and hit discord like a pinata. We shouldn't need to pay people to follow along on the forums, where literally all the action is. There aren't hockey games on discord, there isn't any meta-game on discord, there isn't TPE on discord, the players don't exist on discord. Discord helps and supports the action on the forum.

And also, with lots missing the point, removing the bot does not kill discord. I feel like the forum is the league formally, and discord is a place for people in the league to hang out and socialize informally. We all know probably only 5-10% of all conversation on discord pertains directly to VHL/M gameplay and the rest of it just new friends being friends. That bonding shit doesn't really happen on the forums. You don't get to know people on the forums. Discord for personal and Forum for professional socializing fit together perfectly, without one needing to dominate the other. The blues and the vets have recognized that the balance between the two platforms has gotten out of whack recently and have pitched a well-thoughtout plan intended to level things out. This isn't change for change's sake - this is purposeful and I respect that.

By the end of S75, no one will remember or miss VHL bot posting scores.

so I went to comment on VHLM games for the first time ever and it's way more tedious than it should be. I doubt I'd care enough to do that every day unlike checking discord for games. It also still feels the same as reacting to the game in our discord LR, except it takes longer to get there and less people are talking

• Commissioner
Just now, jhatty8 said:

so I went to comment on VHLM games for the first time ever and it's way more tedious than it should be. I doubt I'd care enough to do that every day unlike checking discord for games. It also still feels the same as reacting to the game in our discord LR, except it takes longer to get there and less people are talking

Would it feel better if all the posts were linked in a single OP?

Just now, Beketov said:

Would it feel better if all the posts were linked in a single OP?

yeah probably. Would also have more conversations flowing that way because everyone has to see other games as well as theirs. And I wouldn't mind that, I want to learn more about the league

I don't mind it the way it is. I still post in game threads. I don't really understand why people don't do it....as it's incredibly easy to click into a thread and open a portal link.

I also post in my team's Discord about games.

The bot literally did nothing for me. I never used it.

1 hour ago, bigAL said:

The carrots to get people to the forums aren't working

Were there ever carrots? This is simply, "come to the forums." There is no flair to it. Discord is modernization, and @IamMOOSE and I discussed where the lines are between forum activity and Discord activity. People can find games on forums, but whether or not that's going to encourage people to post on those threads is a completely different story. As @rory said, there's absolutely nothing stopping a player or user from taking the box score and posting it in the Discord server where he knows his teammates are more likely to engage with him about it.

45 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Were there ever carrots

The carrots are the “handing out TPE for posting in game threads” (I don’t mess with the EFL so I don’t know the technical terms)

24 minutes ago, bigAL said:

The carrots are the “handing out TPE for posting in game threads” (I don’t mess with the EFL so I don’t know the technical terms)

Also we used to give 1 TPE Practice Facility based on having posted in a game thread at one time

@Spartan

Anyway BigAl pretty much made a better Devise post on my thoughts here than I would of. The long and short of it is that our Discord doesn't need to feel under attack here.

11 minutes ago, Devise said:

Also we used to give 1 TPE Practice Facility based on having posted in a game thread at one time

@Spartan

Anyway BigAl pretty much made a better Devise post on my thoughts here than I would of. The long and short of it is that our Discord doesn't need to feel under attack here.

Gotcha. I suppose we'll have to see if this change even works. I question whether this change will actually make people comment on game threads more, or if users will result to looking at box scores on forums and then moving chatter back to locker rooms. I'll see what I can do to at least incentivize my team to posting in threads.

I'm all for variety.  I'd give this a go, but I'm never ever in the playoffs, so there's little to no incentive to post anything for non-playoff players.

Have the bot link to the daily game thread where everyone's talking about the games.  Or don't use the bot, some GMs may link it to their sim-results channel if they want.

I have no shame I'll admit when I see sims where we lose (which is often) and/or my player sucked (a little less often), I'll open the boxscores, scan through it quick then close it.  Not much else to do besides just say a few things in my LR.  I'll also admit that it would be cool to comment in a thread with everyone posting about their games and let trash talk fly.

If that's the goal then I'm for it.

If not then what's the point?  Higher post count?  Higher rep?  

I'm very neutral on this, mainly because I don't think it's going to do anything. Are we forgetting that lack of engagement on game threads (post-lottery) was already a thing before the bot came around? I remember at least twice, @Banackock yelled at us VHLM GMs for the fact that we had pages on end of threads with zero comments. The bot added its game-posting functionality after I got promoted.

Before the bot started doing its thing, I (and many others) would post game scores in Discord, along with direct links to the portal page. I have always done exactly the same thing the bot does. @Beketov asked what the benefit to this was earlier on, and my response is basically that it does keep players engaged. Many welfare players and casual members aren't on to check the sims on a daily basis, and some of those will see a ping on Discord (and not necessarily the forum) if they did something interesting.

I'm not trying to act like forum activity is meaningless (and, in fact, I think it's a great thing to have--see Town of Salem, lol), but I'd also like to point out that not commenting in game threads doesn't indicate any sort of lack of interest. The community is bigger than ever. We didn't get to this point through lack of interest. So, then, do we even have a legitimate issue? I'd say no--people are still very interested with what's going on with the sims, and I see no need to force them to express that in some sort of "preferred" location.