Jardy's Hecking Podcast, S2 Episode 7: Goodbye Off-Season, Hello Predictions

JardyB10

*LISTENER DISCRETION ADVISED*

Distracted doggo driving

https://anchor.fm/jardy-b/episodes/Jardys-Hecking-Podcast--S2-Episode-7-Goodbye-Off-Season--Hello-Predictions-e1h6qlj

This is a podcast. Here is what was discussed:

- My drive to the dog park

- Eagerly waiting for the season to start, and a portal change I would like to see

- "Random bullshit we can talk about"

- PREDICTIONS! I decide to predict who will win all the awards without giving it too much thought or research

- Comparing Jonathan Ori to Duncan Idaho

- Comparing Duncan Idaho to Jerome Reinhart

Player Mentions, However Brief:

@CowboyinAmerica @ROOKIE745 @OrbitingDeath @MexicanCow123 @jRuutu @v.2 @STZ @fishy @Enorama @Spartan @Rayzor_7 @Doomsday @N0HBDY @Josh @Beketov

"Needing to see both attributes"

Unless you want to do the rounding in your head, that will kind of always be needed. Since there are just so many different ways to end up with the same actual attributes.

"OD making good builds"

In other news, no news.

"Offensive Vision being goat"

Considering how obvious it is, not entirely sure why so many people over updated SS/WS as much as they did.

"Rookies being MID again"

That's why I got a DC player picked as ROTY, it just makes too much sense!

"Most Improved"

It's probably going to have to be relative, if you were say league 100th in scoring last season and league 10th this season, as just comparing raw stats from meta era to hybrid era would just be pants on head levels of silly.

• Commissioner
36 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

Considering how obvious it is, not entirely sure why so many people over updated SS/WS as much as they did.

Old habits die hard and people were trying to avoid passing even if that meant wasting points. I imagine a lot of early re-rolls will be for people who went hard on the shooting stats without thinking about the consequences.

5 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Old habits die hard and people were trying to avoid passing even if that meant wasting points. I imagine a lot of early re-rolls will be for people who went hard on the shooting stats without thinking about the consequences.

Yeah, people were being told "passing makes your player worse", which was kind of an over-simplification of passing in a certain range making your player worse, assuming you could build meta. I guess that just lead to people assuming it was a universal truth that still applies.🤷‍♂️

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Shindigs said:

Yeah, people were being told "passing makes your player worse", which was kind of an over-simplification of passing in a certain range making your player worse, assuming you could build meta. I guess that just lead to people assuming it was a universal truth that still applies.🤷‍♂️

It’s funny because that really only became the mindset in the last maybe 10-12 seasons. Before then the conventional wisdom was to keep a gap of at least 10 but passing was still useful.

Based off our testing even if everything else is pure meta adding passing will still improve the player, TPE always won out in the end. It’s just that unfortunately there was a period between 40 and 60-70ish where a pure meta player would get worse before they got better. This only seemed to apply the pure meta players but it was also tough to tell since so many players in our testing were built that way.

33 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It’s funny because that really only became the mindset in the last maybe 10-12 seasons. Before then the conventional wisdom was to keep a gap of at least 10 but passing was still useful.

Based off our testing even if everything else is pure meta adding passing will still improve the player, TPE always won out in the end. It’s just that unfortunately there was a period between 40 and 60-70ish where a pure meta player would get worse before they got better. This only seemed to apply the pure meta players but it was also tough to tell since so many players in our testing were built that way.

Yeah, there is just so much stuff that couldn't really be tested for either. With no one knowing what builds would look like this season and going forward. The thing I'm most interested in is what happens when you actually have PA that is significantly higher than league average DF. Because unless there was some dodgy stuff happening back in the earlier days of the league, I'm guessing that's never really happened before? Maybe we will actually get players who know how to complete more than 50% of their passes.😅

I'll be keeping an eye on Toronto to see how pass first goes, as every single one of their dmen is pass first and 2 of their forwards on top of that. So they are really leaning into being the guinea pig for pass first this season.

• Commissioner
18 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

The thing I'm most interested in is what happens when you actually have PA that is significantly higher than league average DF. Because unless there was some dodgy stuff happening back in the earlier days of the league, I'm guessing that's never really happened before?

To be honest it probably used to happen. People didn’t really realize how strong Defense was for forwards back in the day but people definitely tried to build pass first players so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we used to have forwards with higher passing than Defense.

45 minutes ago, Beketov said:

To be honest it probably used to happen. People didn’t really realize how strong Defense was for forwards back in the day but people definitely tried to build pass first players so I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we used to have forwards with higher passing than Defense.

Makes sense that it happened, but I assume that lack of engine understanding at the time also meant that people weren't necessarily paying attention to how much better/worse it was than a more "meta" approach, since that wasn't really a thing yet. Either way, it's going to be a very interesting season. Probably with a lot of re-rolls into whatever build whoever wins the Simon lottery this season is using.😅

Just FYI - top GM, like most awards, are based solely on regular season performance and awards discussion almost always starts right at the end of the regular season.

7 hours ago, Enorama said:

Just FYI - top GM, like most awards, are based solely on regular season performance and awards discussion almost always starts right at the end of the regular season.

Another reason to support the fact that rory was simply bog shunned this year.

22 hours ago, Enorama said:

I know it is, but also it isn’t. I think it’s tough to keep the biases from leaking through.