I feel offended ad a team name

Boaty

I feel offended on the team name of Istanbul wolfs or red wolfs but stil in turkey tere is a group of people called the gray wolf and me as a koerdish turkish guy I feel offended because the gray wolf are racist to other people besides Turks and there awful many koerdish people are just punching and other 18 plus thinks to koerdish people for so long and me seeing a team named wolf and its a turkish team just offensive to I don't want a name change or something I want the message out there you know but move on I hate it like it's so offensive I one time was beating up on the ground by my class mate he is a gray wolf and I was so bloody and I stood up and give him a scar so yeah there every were even the Netherlands were I live my 16 year old live so pls give me a answer why Istanbul got that name idk why and like I don't want really a name change just a answer for this

Je me sens offensé sur le nom de l’équipe des loups d’Istanbul ou des loups rouges, mais stil en turquie tere est un groupe de personnes appelées le loup gris et moi comme un gars turc koerdish je me sens offensé parce que le loup gris sont racistes à d’autres personnes en plus des Turcs et il y a terriblement beaucoup de gens koerdish sont juste des coups de poing et d’autres 18 plus pense aux gens koerdish pendant si longtemps et moi de voir une équipe nommée loup et c’est une équipe turque juste offensante pour je ne veux pas un changement de nom ou quelque chose que je veux le message là-bas vous kJe me sens offensé sur le nom de l’équipe des loups d’Istanbul ou des loups rouges, mais stil en turquie tere est un groupe de personnes appelées le loup gris et moi comme un gars turc koerdish je me sens offensé parce que le loup gris sont racistes à d’autres personnes en plus des Turcs et il y a terriblement beaucoup de gens koerdish sont juste des coups de poing et d’autres 18 plus pense aux gens koerdish pendant si longtemps et moi de voir une équipe nommée loup Et c’est une équipe turque juste offensante pour je ne veux pas un changement de nom ou quelque chose que je veux le message là-bas 

Translate for the French Canadians

18 minutes ago, Bedirhan said:

pls give me a answer why Istanbul got that name idk why and like I don't want really a name change just a answer for this

I don't think the people who came up with the branding were aware of that at the time. The name was reclaimed from a now-defunct VHLM team called the Moscow Red Wolves. Moscow was disbanded about 5 years ago and due to the fact that Moscow now had a VHL team when the VHLE was created (2021), a different location was selected.

48 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

I don't think the people who came up with the branding were aware of that at the time. The name was reclaimed from a now-defunct VHLM team called the Moscow Red Wolves. Moscow was disbanded about 5 years ago and due to the fact that Moscow now had a VHL team when the VHLE was created (2021), a different location was selected.

(They were)

• Commissioner
24 minutes ago, rory said:

(They were)

To be honest I’m not sure if they were aware at the time (I say they not to throw blame at someone else but purely because the blues let the red team decide on their teams). Yes, it was made clear later and some of us, myself included, didn’t believe it was close enough to be a concern. There’s a difference between seeing someone say “well that’s kinda close when you Google it” and someone with actual experience saying “yeah, that’s super offensive.”

Personally I was never a fan of Istanbul as a location and would rather just relocate the team rather than rebrand but both could be options.

I believe that we are putting too much association to that organization - our team is from Turkey, yes, they are located in Istanbul, they are called Red Wolves. It is fine. It is a cool name, it fits the colours of the Turkish flag.

I am not gonna comment on the offensive part as, well, we are going to dig a huge hole of "offensiveness" if we start doing that. 

3 hours ago, FrostBeard said:

we are going to dig a huge hole of "offensiveness" if we start doing that. 

And why is that wrong to do?

Mexico City & Vancouver were changed for "offensiveness" already.

7 hours ago, dlamb said:

The thing is if we look long and hard enough, EVERYTHING can be offensive to someone.

I think Vancouver was 'Quebec Meute' before and was disbanded/relocated/rebranded because of the clear offensiveness of being a Quebec based franchise (just kidding, I know it is about the ultra right movement called 'Meute').

One could without much imagination make a case that Cologne Express (especially with the logo they have) is far more offensive than the Istanbul franchise.

7 hours ago, dlamb said:

And we can discuss if that was a good decision too. 

I guess we all have our own opinions on the matter.

• Admin
16 hours ago, rory said:

(They were)

They were not - not that you've ever let facts get in the way of your faux outrage.

Anyway I believe at the time I said show me someone who's actually offended by it - clearly we've found someone now so rebrand them or whatever, I don't think anyone else is particularly attached to the franchise. It was an easy solution matching a popular city with an existing logo and I'm sure a solution exists for a new name, new city, or new team name entirely.

4 hours ago, Victor said:

They were not - not that you've ever let facts get in the way of your faux outrage.

Anyway I believe at the time I said show me someone who's actually offended by it

"We did not know. At the time, we wilfully chose to ignore it" 

Great quote vic

• Admin
6 minutes ago, rory said:

"We did not know. At the time, we wilfully chose to ignore it" 

Great quote vic

Yes once you and the rest of the spoiled children told us after it was announced

Ultimately you think I'm the 2nd coming of Stalin and I think you've got anger issues - this conversation is a bit pointless, no?

On 8/6/2022 at 1:59 PM, a_Ferk said:

Thanks for helping with my trivia question.