VSN Presents: S92 VHLM Power Rankings

Methodology: 

We have developed a rating system that accounts for each VHLM player's STHS adjusted attributes and assigns them an overall rating between 0 and 99. We then took those ratings and applied them to each team's most recent lineups as of the January 11th sim. The only exception to this is the San Diego Marlins who had issues due to trades and other roster management: leading to very obscure looking lineups on the index. For them I requested an updated lineup card from their GM and he replied hastily enough to get this going speedily. Thank you to @Mysterious_Fish for that! With all of this said, a couple caveats:

1) Some teams have players roster that were not yet placed in their lineups, these players were all omitted from their team's scores. When these situations occur we will provide the player's name and individual rating so you can mentally picture how much they change things for their team being in the lineup. 

2) Some teams vary on how many Bots they voluntarily place in their lineups. This is most notable in defenses as some teams with two Dmen choose to run bot on half their lines, and some just stick them on every unit. 

3) As was stated earlier, the data here was collected on January 11th shortly after sims. That means that those players who had not yet updated this week or gotten their PTs accepted may now be much better than the data shows. In particular this will impact those newly created players that sit at 0 TPA for some time while they await advice from their GM. Some of these individuals may be in the lineups and tanking their team's rating when they now are an actually contributing member of the lineup. 

image.png.155f36dd1c6f8d93ab7c0d62a53b6682.png
Overall Rank: 10th (18.03)
Forwards Rank: 10th (31.80)
Defensemen Rank: 10th (6.40)
Goalies Rank: 10th (0.00)

Well here we are again folks. Feeling a bit like its S85 again with this team. The Hounds have once again dug deep and reached the depths of despair and fans are upset about it. I however do see some reasons for hope. For one, this data is based on their lineups and for some reason they are only single shifting all their players. Second, they do have one very trade-able piece in F Wernher von Braun @Prof. Zach Enron. We have him rated at a 63: good for top 15 score in his position group. 

Now for the bad and the ugly. The lack of a goalie is the most pressing issue for this team. Any current backup that wants playing time ought to be requesting a move here to see some extra action. Another concern is some potentially valuable trade chips in their forward core are on the brink of being released due to inactivity in the practice facilities. Maybe the waivers come flooding in for some abundant playing time, but I highly doubt that will be enough to turn the tides of what's bound to be a lowly year for the blue and silver. 

image.png.2f3333797d284af532a56b683a34312d.png
Overall Rank: 9th (29.93)
Forwards Rank: 9th (37.57)
Defensemen Rank: 8th (17.00)
Goalies Rank: T-8th (32.90)

Our next squad with a tough road ahead of them are your defending Founder's Cup champions. Last year's Skylar Right winner Toddly Bobbly @ToddlyBobbly has moved up to the VHLE and left a major void in this Saskatoon lineup as they have two netminders below the 100 TPA benchmark you like to see at this juncture. Maybe one starts to step up the earning in a major way and wrangle a hold of that starting job, but as of this moment it's a toss up who will be getting minutes. A positive for this team I really like the look of is the forward core, despite the low ranking at 9. Lots of 1st gens using various training methods to get the TPE built up shows strong leadership from the incumbent Jack Reilly winner in @Berocka. With a mind like that at the helm steering these young players, I think this team is a dark horse to crawl up these rankings as the season progresses. Defense will be a struggle for sure but look out for the Wild in S92.

image.png.fb1f5669163776f0fed5c4cafc30307a.png
Overall Rank: 8th (32.12)
Forwards Rank: 6th (42.70)
Defensemen Rank: 9th (13.50)
Goalies Rank: 7th (37.60)

Led by first overall pick Antonia Bucatini @CowboyinAmerica, Halifax has a decent forward core. They rank 6th and that's without having Aanarsi Reingaard @Laine in the lineup. Specifically in regards to Reingaard, he is one of the most efficiently built players in the M below 125 TPA. This is a player who shows knowledge in where to put the points they do earn. Beware of this type of guy once they hit about 150 TPE, because he will be playing much like an average 200 TPE player. Now if we look at the backside of the roster, we have another team without a top tier goalie heading into the season, but they do have 2 players in that group on the roster. One could crank up the earning and get the certified starter role, but as of now both leave a bit to be desired. Also of note, only Cavill @Firekiss has gotten the starting nod (as of writing) despite both net minders being active earners and our projections seeing Topper @Habs_22 as the better option in the short term. This is a call to HFX management @ShawnGlade and @Will3, get Topper some playing time! As far as their defense is concerned they really only have one guy until Kronos @Youngbuck applies some TPE which is also very much dragging their numbers down. For this team to amount to much more than getting swept in the first round, Bucatini will have to put together a godly campaign.

image.png.ed0096bb38a91f88fb4e8235271c1f32.png
Overall Rank: 7th (32.12)
Forwards Rank: 7th (40.33)
Defensemen Rank: 7th (22.30)
Goalies Rank: 5th (46.20)

A once beloved franchise now possibly past their prime from the late 80s, this team actually has so much hope. They didn't have a 1st round pick in the draft but more than made up for that by trading just a 3rd for Barry McOckiner @LanerDUST. If they can keep the developing forward focused and earning, we might be talking about this move as a reason for @AJW to win the Jack Reilly. Other than that this team does have a good launching point. Currently four Defensemen rostered is a great place to be in the VHLM (only three are considered in their 7th overall ranking) and quite a few forwards past or at the 110 TPE mark. Once again I see quite a few 1st generation players earning from lots of sources, which takes a team from middle of the pack to contending fast! This is another dark horse squad if they keep the guys they have active and earning like this!

image.png.c8e07f565738f1fa40eb244f67fd9f06.png
Overall Rank: 6th (39.58)
Forwards Rank: 3th (47.53)
Defensemen Rank: 6th (31.00)
Goalies Rank: T-8th (32.90)

Here we have a team with a clear identity! Offense is their best defense. They will be trying to take the lead early with lots of shots on net and hang onto it via continued pressure. Ivanov @KmaddFPS is the BEST player in the VHLM as far as our model is concerned and this team is built to feed him the puck a lot. Also, this comes on the back of losing a pretty promising young player over contract disputes. You'd think with a player refusing to apply and no leverage to keep him around the Lynx would lose the trade of that player but I actually think they got away with grand larceny here. This team has a bright future after that deal and even if this isn't their season, expect big things for years to come. @Grape always has a knack to realigning his team's after down years. 

image.png.0c2847afff5bf636d14e99352b61d05b.png
Overall Rank: 5th (41.97)
Forwards Rank: 8th (37.73)
Defensemen Rank: T-3rd (37.10)
Goalies Rank: 2nd (64.40)

Here are the teams we expect to realistically be in the hunt come the playoffs. This team is a direct foil to what the Lynx want to do. Built on a strong defense with the addition of hot goaltending prospect, Jørgen Løvstrøm @Pifferfish, this team will be looking to keep opponents to under 30 shots and 2 goals on a game to game basis. You may look at the standings and see a pretty putrid goals against number so far (as of writing), but that will be shrinking fast. The Heartbreak Kid in net is exactly the type of injection this squad needed to keep them afloat while a slew of young forwards find their footing out there. Once that front unit gets clicking, this is a dangerous team. Once again, I'd like to point out another player who is very efficient with their TPE in Taylor Swift @lilchrist. To be top 2 among forwards in application efficiency league wide while applying into your faceoffs (which the model does not reward in overall, but is noted for all Centers) is crazy promising. In fact, each of the Reapers' top 6 forwards have a .4 or higher in their application efficiency. This number generally ranges from .2 to .5 so this is a great sign of a position group bound for major growth. On defense we see the same thing, each defender on this team ranged from a .38 to a .41 efficiency rating. 

image.png.7fa32751764fa7a2a04de7e7fe5c0107.png
Overall Rank: 4th (44.20)
Forwards Rank: 4th (45.03)
Defensemen Rank: T-3rd (37.10)
Goalies Rank: 3rd (55.9)

Miami is probably the most balanced team in the VHLM. They have no top tier positional groups, but they also have none in the bottom half of the league. The main concern I have for Miami is the possibility of their starting goalie going IA. Now let's say he does, all hope is not lost. Miami has the second most efficient applying goalie ready to go as their backup. He might be a bit raw now, but with enough time to grow he can become a top tier goaltender in the VHLM. No matter what happens in net for Miami, I still like a lot about this squad. Highmore @NineIQ v2 is a top 6 forward and Ennis @DeciBell4 is a top 4 defenseman in the league. Shmo @matt sovick and Kolesinska @chikn are both quite solid contributors in their own rights. I will say that I do believe for this team to maximize its offensive talent it needs to keep Shmo and Highmore split up as both want that puck on their stick. Shoes @ELF_SH0ES is another player who isn't going to contribute a lot now, but could soon be a key player for this offense. @Tetricide is a solid GM, and I believe in the culture of the team thriving with a solid outlook.

image.png.e83712511033c9ccbf220bc33615f62e.png
Overall Rank: 3rd (47.25)
Forwards Rank: 5th (43.00)
Defensemen Rank: 2nd (41.10)
Goalies Rank: 1st (72.30)

@hylands is one of the few GMs in the VHLM I do not know much of anything about. But based on what I'm seeing he is doing a good job here. This team is where Philadelphia projects to end up now! Led by a strong defensive front featuring Free Gorlab @eaglesfan036, Chuck E. Cheese @a_Ferk, aaaaand (do I dare try to spell this name from memory without copy pasting?) Alexsanteri Kaskiniemi-Kakkonen @Snussu we have a strong guess as to what team will have the least goals against at the end of this season. Major shout-out to Loona Buckzo @WildfireMicro. This user was one of my first players as a GM in the JST and what a great locker room presence in the past. Textbook "glue guy" and we love those in the VHLM. Also, the player happens to be tied with Trey Daniels @Tdan04 for the honors of best forward on the team.

image.png.6e36e8db79fce165c519b19f08ef3968.png
Overall Rank: 2nd (49.50)
Forwards Rank: 2nd (61.10)
Defensemen Rank: 5th (31.50)
Goalies Rank: 4th (50.7)

Now I understand how those positional rankings might make you double take and ask how in the world Vegas could be #2 in the league, but they are. This forward core is loaded! Stinky @taylorherd, Piston Maicupp @MandyManiac, and Elle Aura Ashe @Lynersify are all top 7 forwards in the league. Don't get it twisted either, this D-core is good too. Harjen Van Araken @VaderTheTater and Bric Sheithaus @Oldhead91 are both top 7 in their position as well. They are really only ranked 5th because of a lack of bodies. A top 4 goalie is also is not a bad place to be with so much room to grow for Hugo Boss @Dil. Now readers, this is all well and good but it can't possibly get better for Vegas…. riiiiight? Wrong!!!! Remember when I said Philly had the 2nd most efficient skater in the M? Well this team has #1, Finneas Finnegan O Cleirigh @Gorth takes the crown in that regard! Shout-out to @McLovin on building this monster of a team. Reminds me of @Shindigs's types of of roster from when I first came around the VHL. He would be proud.

image.png.37a1a821a5000795967dfe27e5125e10.png
Overall Rank: 1st (51.05)
Forwards Rank: 1st (61.37)
Defensemen Rank: 1st (41.40)
Goalies Rank: 6th (39.4)

Finally we made it to the end of the line. Another dominant looking Marlins team tops the charts like back in S86. This squad boasts a forward tied for best in the league and a defenseman who is the certified number one player at his position in Jean-Pierre Devote @eagle_3450 and Factor Lee @Hockeywizard676, respectively. They just acquired Wayne Gretzky @MubbleFubbles for a pretty penny from Ottawa. They have the advantage of a full defensive rotation to help them despite only featuring one top talent. Goaltending could be an issue for this team but I think @Mysterious_Fish can get his guy earning like a champ. Gianfranco Del Rocco @Victor and Dietrich Reingaard @JigglyGumballs also help boost up this group of forwards a ton in these rankings. Both are quite solid players. The only actual concern I have for San Diego is they are a nearly capped team. Every other team in the VHLM has the room to grow and close the gap that they have. Should be an interesting S92.

Words 2,366

Edited by Pifferfish
i done goofed

1 hour ago, Pifferfish said:

Remember when I said Philly had the 2nd most efficient skater in the M? Well this team has #1, Finneas Finnegan O Cleirigh @Gorth

YESSIRRRRRRRR THE IRISH HAVE DONE IT AGAIN! 🙌

10 hours ago, Pifferfish said:

Overall Rank: 7th (32.12)
Forwards Rank: 7th (40.33)
Defensemen Rank: 7th (22.30)
Goalies Rank: 5th (46.20)

I know you mentioned it but these guys are gonna fly up the rankings quickly 

11 hours ago, Mysterious_Fish said:

how much u gonna give me then

I'm gonna make a fake Fish quote in every article I wrote for the rest of S92 now... No. No. Even better, I'm going to make an AI impersonate you for every article I wrote the rest of the season

1 hour ago, Pifferfish said:

I'm gonna make a fake Fish quote in every article I wrote for the rest of S92 now... No. No. Even better, I'm going to make an AI impersonate you for every article I wrote the rest of the season

uhhh no AI only fake

On 1/14/2024 at 11:04 PM, Pifferfish said:

This is a call to HFX management @ShawnGlade and @Will3, get Topper some playing time!

Funny enough, they're supposed to split playing time 50-50. I set them to alternate each game but then I had our simmer put in a new waiver, which subsequently messed up our lines, and I didn't notice until your post, so I thank you

Also, Reingaard has been in the lineup since Day 2 when we acquired him

Edited by ShawnGlade

1 hour ago, ShawnGlade said:

Funny enough, they're supposed to split playing time 50-50. I set them to alternate each game but then I had our simmer put in a new waiver, which subsequently messed up our lines, and I didn't notice until your post, so I thank you

Also, Reingaard has been in the lineup since Day 2 when we acquired him

Yeah so the lines are all based on sim 1, I had to enter them all at 1 cut off time to keep each team in an even position. So for your data he isn't considered. If that makes sense at all.

• Pifferfish changed the title to VSN Presents: S92 VHLM Power Rankings