Official Videogame Thread

Sandro

• Senior Admin
1 minute ago, Beaviss said:

How did you like Victoria? 

It was cool - really nice city, a good size I found. But like I said, didn't really get a chance to do much other than walk around a bit and eat food. 

But I think my favorite spot I visited in BC was Penticton

20 minutes ago, Will said:

It was cool - really nice city, a good size I found. But like I said, didn't really get a chance to do much other than walk around a bit and eat food. 

Where did you eat in Vic?

1 hour ago, Quik said:

Dude, 94 was the best game in the NHL series of all time. Can't top it!

I liked both 93/4 actually but am more partial to SNES 93 as it's the first one I bought. And I agree, 94 kicked ass!

Penticton: Where my family and I are planning to retire! Was out there last year and loved it!

• Senior Admin
1 hour ago, Beaviss said:

Where did you eat in Vic?

Some brewery, can't remember the name but it was right by the harbour where the seaplanes come in 

And then later on just milestones down by the water front 

33 minutes ago, Will said:

Some brewery, can't remember the name but it was right by the harbour where the seaplanes come in 

And then later on just milestones down by the water front 

Well next time your in town let me know I’ll be your guide

4 hours ago, Beaviss said:

How did you like Victoria? 

4 hours ago, Will said:

Penticton is awesome.

I'm probably heading up to Victoria either tonight or tomorrow morning. My niece has a provincial softball tournament on the island. ;) It's been years since I've gone over there though, even though I have plenty of family in Nanaimo and Victoria.

8 hours ago, Will said:

I tried VR for the first time a few weeks ago, went to some VR bar in Victoria and tried Oculus. It was awesome, I'd totally buy the Oculus setup if it wasn't going to cost me another 400-500 to upgrade my PC to VR specs. Then again I'm still not sure the VR library is good enough to justify while VR kits are still so expensive. 

Yeah, VR definitely is a bit of a niche too. Like, I don't even use my PSVR much at all, but it definitely is fun if you have the great games. There's a ton of stuff that is crap, that's for sure. On PSVR, it's basically the widespread opinion that the best games are Farpoint w/ the gun, Resident Evil 7, Wipeout Omega Collection, Dirt Rally VR, DriveClub VR, Gran Turismo VR, Skyrim VR, Rec Room, and some of the VR Worlds stuff. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I wish there was some VR bar or something around before I bought mine, because I don't play it as much as I could. I don't regret the purchase or anything because I've had a blast and it's fun showing friends, but I didn't expect to be so lazy with using it. A lot of times I want to game out, I just don't feel like getting the headset on and diving in. I'd rather play some sit down TV game.

6 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Penticton is awesome.

I'm probably heading up to Victoria either tonight or tomorrow morning. My niece has a provincial softball tournament on the island. ;) It's been years since I've gone over there though, even though I have plenty of family in Nanaimo and Victoria.

Im up in duncan but if you need tips or anything let me know ;) 

So idk if anyone was like me and fell for the No Man's Sky hype train 2 years ago.  but they released an update a few days ago and one of my friends badgered me into downloading it again.

I kicked and screamed and dragged my feet but I downloaded it, and holy shit.

While I dont think it still has everything initially promised... This is much closer to the game we were promised.

I played until 4am last night, and I have off of work till tuesday..... I dont think I'm gonna do anything else.  

Actual multiplayer now, space battles are actually a thing, you can get freighters and capital ships, the redid the terrain rendering program, the base building is great, plus so many more other things I cant take the time to list.  This is a much more polished and MUCH better No man's sky.

If you wanna explore the universe together, or just wanna link up on Steam, hit me up, my name on there is (wait for it) Spade. 

23 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Yeah, VR definitely is a bit of a niche too. Like, I don't even use my PSVR much at all, but it definitely is fun if you have the great games. There's a ton of stuff that is crap, that's for sure. On PSVR, it's basically the widespread opinion that the best games are Farpoint w/ the gun, Resident Evil 7, Wipeout Omega Collection, Dirt Rally VR, DriveClub VR, Gran Turismo VR, Skyrim VR, Rec Room, and some of the VR Worlds stuff. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I wish there was some VR bar or something around before I bought mine, because I don't play it as much as I could. I don't regret the purchase or anything because I've had a blast and it's fun showing friends, but I didn't expect to be so lazy with using it. A lot of times I want to game out, I just don't feel like getting the headset on and diving in. I'd rather play some sit down TV game.

How about Fallout 4 VR? I heard mixed things when it first came out.

Just now, .sniffuM said:

How about Fallout 4 VR? I heard mixed things when it first came out.

I heard it's pretty good if you're a Fallout fan. I haven't played it yet though.

It's funny, one of the best games out is free, and that's Rec Room. It's probably the most fun I've had.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone check out the new BfA expansion?? (Fong I'm looking at you) thoughts?  I've been enjoying the cut-scenes and them really trying to push the pvp theme.  The new zones (just started Nazmir) have been pretty neat so far.  Haven't decided on my boost yet... 

7 minutes ago, frescoelmo said:

Anyone check out the new BfA expansion?? (Fong I'm looking at you) thoughts?  I've been enjoying the cut-scenes and them really trying to push the pvp theme.  The new zones (just started Nazmir) have been pretty neat so far.  Haven't decided on my boost yet... 

54k2gqp.jpg

2 hours ago, Spade18 said:

There was a discussion about it on discord today, but if anyone is still playing pokemon GO, I picked it up again the other day.

My Trainer Code is 4617 3019 9020 if anyone wants to friend request me and get gifts!

Nerd come play ps4 with me

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissioner

So... PS1 Classic is apparently an official thing. Anyone else thinking of picking one up? I’m curious what the lineup is gonna look like to justify $130 (CAD) for it.

20 minutes ago, Beketov said:

So... PS1 Classic is apparently an official thing. Anyone else thinking of picking one up? I’m curious what the lineup is gonna look like to justify $130 (CAD) for it.

I feel like this is a nostalgia cash grab.

Have you gone back and tried playing any game even on ps2?  I love to say that its the story that matters and not game play, but some of those game mechanics are just unplayable at this point and the graphics occasionally hurt to look at.

It really comes down to how much are you willing to spend for that nostalgic rush?

• Commissioner
11 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

Have you gone back and tried playing any game even on ps2?  I love to say that its the story that matters and not game play, but some of those game mechanics are just unplayable at this point and the graphics occasionally hurt to look at.

It really comes down to how much are you willing to spend for that nostalgic rush?

Oh it 100% is, Nintendo’s are as well they are just slightly cheaper emulation.

And yeah, I have gone back to play some older games. Their mechanics aren’t great but for the sake of nostalgia I’m willing to pay if some of my favourite games are in there. I can emulate them but the ROM’s are hit or miss with disc based games.

15 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

Eh. I don't think your entirely wrong on this point but I do think there are some classics that gameplay wise do hold up. Granted a lot of them are often the types of games that had huge influence over where game mechanics went in the future anyways. But occasionally you find that well put together gem that was doing just enough different things at the time to be received mildly that then are better from retrospection after we've seen where games have gone and are more familiar with different mechanics. 

Hell the entire popularity of the Souls series runs on that. Demon Souls was not a well liked game by casuals upon release, and a very hardcore minority dug deep into it. Years later after enough mechanics pushed us down the rabbit hole of being able to approach something like that again, it's suddenly a hidden gem that grows into one of gamings most notable fanbases, and now one of the most played upon third person action mechanics of all time.

I also don't think the graphics are always the thing to point to either. Indies and games in general even new ones still release playing to or mildly updating old graphics and art styles. I think it really depends on the game. Some games, especially of the early polygon days of N64 and PS1 for sure were trying to appear as "real" as we could get at that time, and for those reasons aren't likely to hold up. But there are still tons of titles that hold up visually just fine imo. 

Went to EGX on Saturday (It's the UK's biggest games expo) and saw a lot of cool stuff! I would say the two best games I played were Beat Saber (This was the PS VR version, which doesn't have a release date as of yet, believe it's out on PC as early access) and Catastronuats (It's like Overcooked/FTL done in a spaceship). Also played some Jump Force, Soul Calibur VI, My Hero: One's Justice, the new Sonic Racing game and some others.