S42: Contracting the VHLM

Will

One good reason why it should?

More cap equals a chance at more players and more players equals (should equal) more activity because of the larger teams. Plus the cap where it is does not reward you at all for being a good GM and helping guys earn TPE who one day you will have to trade or lose in free agency because you have no cap space too. Look at Davos, their is no chance that they will be able to keep all of their players on their team and will end up trading most of them away or losing them in free agency. Or look at a team like Seattle, they literally just came out of a rebuild and only have a couple guys over 400TPE and are already having problems with cap. Seriously raising it like 2 million dollars will not have that big of an effect on anything. Thats like one defensemen or a forward that would round out a top 6 or a top 4.

More cap equals a chance at more players and more players equals (should equal) more activity because of the larger teams. Plus the cap where it is does not reward you at all for being a good GM and helping guys earn TPE who one day you will have to trade or lose in free agency because you have no cap space too. Look at Davos, their is no chance that they will be able to keep all of their players on their team and will end up trading most of them away or losing them in free agency. Or look at a team like Seattle, they literally just came out of a rebuild and only have a couple guys over 400TPE and are already having problems with cap. Seriously raising it like 2 million dollars will not have that big of an effect on anything. Thats like one defensemen or a forward that would round out a top 6 or a top 4.

Everything you stated should be a reason not to raise the cap

How does the cap going up make the league have more players? All that does is make the good teams have more cap room to spend more money and further putting parity in a hole. In order to have these larger teams we'd need an influx of created players coming through. That number is around 35-40 each draft (15ish usually being recreates), which isn't enough considering 10 going inactive before registering 1 measly TPE. So if raising it by 2 Million will not have a huge effect, it won't if we don't raise it either haha.

Seattle also has a guy on a rookie contract taking max salary as well as others taking high rookie contracts. Bad example with that one. Davos has two pieces that could be traded off cause they don't fit long term and other players that are semi-active going forward it looks like.

• Senior Admin

- Teams don't get uniformly larger with a cap increase and the same amount of players: the rich get richer

- Of course Davos isn't going to be able to keep all those players, that would completely defy the nature of VHL rosters

- Seattle is paying Rift Pajodcast $4M. They aren't having cap issues.

Yeah cause fuck activity? amirite?

I'd argue that having stronger top teams (this season: New York, Quebec, Helsinki) with an increased cap would cause lower activity across the league as a whole because those middle teams (Cologne, Seattle, Toronto) would have less of a reasonable chance.

Higher cap equals being able to keep loyal members who want to stick on one team and not be forced to leave the team. You have people who want to be with one team their whole career and it comes down to not being able to afford them. Then what? They get forced off the team they want to be on because they can't be fit into the cap? With the league wide average TPE numbers being increased with all the recreates with TPE whores such as, Kendrick, Green, Boubabi and others who are around high numbers early, teams will only be able to keep 2 star players at a minimum of around 5M per season with a small amount of cap to fit in 3-4 half way decent players. Raising the cap another 2M or so basically helps those who want to remain on said team a little longer. You have to learn that as the league grows and things change, the OLD must be changed. We already did so with the contraction and the cap is the only problem left that NEEDS to be handled. I won't even touch how there should only be 8 VHL teams either but to stick to the topic of raising the cap, there should be no reason why it shouldn't be raised and teams should be able to field a halfway decent team with a little more wiggle room.

Did you see what I did with my team?

Now imagine if I could have kept guys like Laich, Zadorov or Kellinger.

Good GM's use "cap hell" and make it an advantage.  It doesn't have to be a bad thing you know..

I feel like some of you don't even realize I had like 4-5 guys making around 5 Million at one time.

• Senior Admin

Higher cap equals being able to keep loyal members who want to stick on one team and not be forced to leave the team. You have people who want to be with one team their whole career and it comes down to not being able to afford them. Then what? They get forced off the team they want to be on because they can't be fit into the cap? With the league wide average TPE numbers being increased with all the recreates with TPE whores such as, Kendrick, Green, Boubabi and others who are around high numbers early, teams will only be able to keep 2 star players at a minimum of around 5M per season with a small amount of cap to fit in 3-4 half way decent players. Raising the cap another 2M or so basically helps those who want to remain on said team a little longer. You have to learn that as the league grows and things change, the OLD must be changed. We already did so with the contraction and the cap is the only problem left that NEEDS to be handled. I won't even touch how there should only be 8 VHL teams either but to stick to the topic of raising the cap, there should be no reason why it shouldn't be raised and teams should be able to field a halfway decent team with a little more wiggle room.

Wait, so let me get this straight.. you want to take out $64M worth of VHL cap space by contracting... and then raise the cap by 2M?

:huh:

Wait, so let me get this straight.. you want to take out $64M worth of VHL cap space by contracting... and then raise the cap by 2M?

:huh:

With or without that 64M from those teams, how does that benefit everyone? The contracting of the teams would make the league more competitive for sure and I'd rather not touch that subject just yet. I will keep my mad man ideas to myself there. But a reasonable 2M would be just great for players wanting to be loyal. Instead they are forced off by "the rules". Would be nice to actually keep someone who wants to be a part of a team and make a difference.

Out of New York's main group, who have we lost?

Zadorov (who I could have kept if not for a stupid error of judgment), Laich (who I got a lot back for), Linholm (200 TPE inactive) and Januzaj (a sub-200 TPE inactive).

So basically I lost no one of huge importance except for Laich which got me Denis, Klose and some depth players.

Davos will be fine.

With or without that 64M from those teams, how does that benefit everyone? The contracting of the teams would make the league more competitive for sure and I'd rather not touch that subject just yet. I will keep my mad man ideas to myself there. But a reasonable 2M would be just great for players wanting to be loyal. Instead they are forced off by "the rules". Would be nice to actually keep someone who wants to be a part of a team and make a difference.

In what world are guys being forced out due to the cap?

Again, with the way it is, teams can easily keep everyone that is loyal to their team for the majority of their career (if not all of it).

In what world are guys being forced out due to the cap?

Again, with the way it is, teams can easily keep everyone that is loyal to their team for the majority of their career (if not all of it).

So a team like Seattle where everyone is loyal, it's easy to keep everyone who wants to play? With some cap going up due to the TPE brackets, just won't happen.

• Admin

- Seattle is paying Rift Pajodcast $4M.

Shit, Jericho must have been doing the negotiating.

You have to learn that as the league grows and things change, the OLD must be changed.

I won't even touch how there should only be 8 VHL teams

IN WITH THE NEW

OUT WITH EXPANSION

The only way I could see the cap increasing without a monumental increase in the player base is if we increased the minimum salary bracket at higher TPE brackets. Don't think it's worth it though.

As for players being forced out of teams when they become too expensive..that's the entire purpose of a salary cap. It allows for parity and (potentially) limits dynasties.

If we really wanted to change the salary cap and the trade market, I think changing or eliminating how salary bonuses work would be a good starting point in order to potentially change the market for old/retiring players.