2015-2016 NHL Discussion

boubabi

I agree with Botch on the Burrows/Tootoo incident. http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/11/12/the-provies-vrbata-lament-miller-blame-edler-jokes-and-not-even-450-hutton-fans-can-save-the-day/

When many  hear about an incident involving Alex Burrows they immediately assume the worst.

I, however,  assume the best.

You see a player who has occasionally dived? You see someone you’ve heard is dirty?

I have seen things that will forever outweigh that.

I have seen much of Alex Burrows for the past decade.

I was there in Shippagan, New Brunswick, when eloquence, friendship, love and heart gushed from him at Luc Bourdon’s funeral.

I was around after teammate Rick Rypien left this earth. I was there that night  Burrows detailed Stephane Auger’s revenge plot and was watching when the subsequent HNIC takedown that soon followed aired.

The Auger expose, and what Burrows did that night, took courage and if you don’t think so, you’re always be wrong on this.

I have seen his passion for the game, his respect for the game, his knowledge of the game, and I have seen it pour out of him, year after year after year, interview after interview.

So, sorry Jordin Tootoo, when Burrows says his smack talking had nothing to do with race, did not mention alcohol and did not mention a particular tragic event which has happened to your family, I believe him.

When the Canucks said what Burrows said was no big deal and is something which can be said “10 times a game,” I believe them.

After what I’ve seen with my own eyes for 10 years, Burrows is one of the few players who I would say deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I’m not saying he’s not capable of  something that crosses the line. I just don’t he’s capable of lying about it.

If I’m wrong, shame on me.

But if I’m right, shame on Tootoo, because you spoke out of school, intentionally left it ambiguous, and manufactured a situation where those who don’t know Burrows, and even some who do, will assume it was about race, assume it was about suicide and assume the worst.

If you think it is worth it to break code, and share what was said on the ice, it has to be worth it to go all the way.

Half-assing it isn’t fair to anyone.

So basically Burrows shits rainbows? This is the same guy who bit another player, struck a 19 year old in the face in a ball hockey game and is regarded as a guy who can lose it at times on the ice? I'm not saying Burrows is a bad person but you are crediting Jason Botchford (Vancouver's least respected journalist behind Tony Gallagher) for writing a piece saying Burrows is an angel. Tootoo by no means is the NHL's Mother Theresa (I don't want him on my team) but I'm not going to have Jason Botchford influence my opinion on anything besides which Vancouver restaurant has the best egg salad. Come on now.

I never said Burrows was an angel. I said I agree with Botchford, and that I believe Burrows over Tootoo. I believe it because if it is as fucking bad as Tootoo is making it out to be, then he needs to say what Burrows said. "Half-assing it isn't fair to anyone", otherwise he's just covering for the fact he came off the bench to start a fight as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Sandro

I agree with Botch on the Burrows/Tootoo incident. http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/11/12/the-provies-vrbata-lament-miller-blame-edler-jokes-and-not-even-450-hutton-fans-can-save-the-day/

When many  hear about an incident involving Alex Burrows they immediately assume the worst.

You see a player who has occasionally dived? You see someone you’ve heard is dirty?

I was there in Shippagan, New Brunswick, when eloquence, friendship, love and heart gushed from him at Luc Bourdon’s funeral.

I was around after teammate Rick Rypien left this earth. I was there that night  Burrows detailed Stephane Auger’s revenge plot and was watching when the subsequent HNIC takedown that soon followed aired.

The Auger expose, and what Burrows did that night, took courage and if you don’t think so, you’re always be wrong on this.

I have seen his passion for the game, his respect for the game, his knowledge of the game, and I have seen it pour out of him, year after year after year, interview after interview.

So, sorry Jordin Tootoo, when Burrows says his smack talking had nothing to do with race, did not mention alcohol and did not mention a particular tragic event which has happened to your family, I believe him.

When the Canucks said what Burrows said was no big deal and is something which can be said “10 times a game,” I believe them.

After what I’ve seen with my own eyes for 10 years, Burrows is one of the few players who I would say deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I’m not saying he’s not capable of  something that crosses the line. I just don’t he’s capable of lying about it.

But if I’m right, shame on Tootoo, because you spoke out of school, intentionally left it ambiguous, and manufactured a situation where those who don’t know Burrows, and even some who do, will assume it was about race, assume it was about suicide and assume the worst.

If you think it is worth it to break code, and share what was said on the ice, it has to be worth it to go all the way.

So basically Burrows shits rainbows? This is the same guy who bit another player, struck a 19 year old in the face in a ball hockey game and is regarded as a guy who can lose it at times on the ice? I'm not saying Burrows is a bad person but you are crediting Jason Botchford (Vancouver's least respected journalist behind Tony Gallagher) for writing a piece saying Burrows is an angel. Tootoo by no means is the NHL's Mother Theresa (I don't want him on my team) but I'm not going to have Jason Botchford influence my opinion on anything besides which Vancouver restaurant has the best egg salad. Come on now.

I never said Burrows was an angel. I said I agree with Botchford, and that I believe Burrows over Tootoo. I believe it because if it is as fucking bad as Tootoo is making it out to be, then he needs to say what Burrows said. "Half-assing it isn't fair to anyone", otherwise he's just covering for the fact he came off the bench to start a fight as far as I'm concerned.

"Half-assing it"? If I was Jordin Tootoo I wouldn't say what Burrows said either, whatever it was it stays between those two. However, whatever it was wasn't all that pleasant so I don't think it needs to be said. Like I said, you're backing a man who has countless offences when it comes to "class". Backing a coward like Burrows solely because he has done some nice things in the past doesn't mean he is always a victim when someone accuses him of something. This whole thing is stupid, Burrows must have said something because whatever it was irked Tootoo to the point where he went out of his way to get involved with Burrows. If Burrows didn't say anything, Tootoo would have no reason too. Doesn't matter in the end as the Canucks lost the game and still suck the big dick.

"Half-assing it"? If I was Jordin Tootoo I wouldn't say what Burrows said either, whatever it was it stays between those two. However, whatever it was wasn't all that pleasant so I don't think it needs to be said. Like I said, you're backing a man who has countless offences when it comes to "class". Backing a coward like Burrows solely because he has done some nice things in the past doesn't mean he is always a victim when someone accuses him of something. This whole thing is stupid, Burrows must have said something because whatever it was irked Tootoo to the point where he went out of his way to get involved with Burrows. If Burrows didn't say anything, Tootoo would have no reason too. Doesn't matter in the end as the Canucks lost the game and still suck the big dick.

coming from the jersey fan lol

coming from the jersey fan lol

Well yeah you could say it's a bias approach and stance in regarding the whole situation. But you have to think in a game where the Devils were leading at the time of this incident either 3-1 or 3-2 (time stamp unknown) it isn't like a player to just do what Tootoo did without something legitimate being said. Tootoo was a dirty hitter earlier in his career and he is a pretty useless player now that he doesn't hit as much, but he is far from a ticking time bomb (ex. Ben Eager, Patrick Kaleta). Whereas Burrows has been known to say some stupid things and do some stupid things throughout various stages of his career. So I get that a Canucks fan is taking the side of a reporter who is taking the side of Burrows (by backing the reporter you technically are backing the player) but come on, see the situation through clear eyes and you'll see that Burrows had to have said something. Plus every time Burrows is forced to defend himself through media he always has a liars body language, always seems disingenuous. 

I'm not backing Burrows, really, but I think if Tootoo's going to come out and say that Burrows said some disrespectful things, then he should be saying what he said. All saying that he said bad things is going to do is lead to speculation on what it is.

Maybe he is going off the belief it doesn't need to be repeated.

@Mr. Power Semin back in the lineup tonight 

Make or break for him tonight imo. Therrein is only going to give him a few games to prove he wants to be on the roster. I'll be watching UFC tonight but I'll surely check in. Like I said before, If i'm wrong I'll eat the crow. Looking more likely you were right. Although I still say Therrein pulled Semin from the line up a little early, but Flash (another underrated player who I thought was a good pick up for MTL) has been playing good for you guys. 

Yes, Flesichmann is doing good. The 3rd line is doing pretty great (Fleischmann/Desharnais/Weise). I do think the offensive spark that could bring semin with Galchenyuk is needed. Eller and DSP just don't know how to finish or even create plays. We have a great offense for the moment (surprisingly), but since our team is based off speed, I hope Semin could make it offensively to make up for his speed.

Yes, Flesichmann is doing good. The 3rd line is doing pretty great (Fleischmann/Desharnais/Weise). I do think the offensive spark that could bring semin with Galchenyuk is needed. Eller and DSP just don't know how to finish or even create plays. We have a great offense for the moment (surprisingly), but since our team is based off speed, I hope Semin could make it offensively to make up for his speed.

He still has the skillsets to be a great player. The 4-5 Canadiens games I did watch he played he didn't always look awful. His issue is he can play a solid posession game, and help influence things but he needs to be pressured to take the shot instead of trying to set up plays and make passes. He needs to use his shot more, especially as another weapon your guys PP. I hope he can do that, because as a fan of the sport I dislike seeing talented players who still can go rushed out of the NHL for one reason or another. 

Many talented players didn't make it to the NHL. Talent is a thing, but effort is key. Semin is pretty much useless in any fore check and Therrien won't reward player like that PP time if they don't show effort. That's the case with Semin.

Clearly it isn't that big of a deal because the NHL has done nothing. All they did is remind Burrows that the mics could pick up what was said. Burrows has stated multiple times that it had nothing to do with Tootoo's substance issues or his brother's passing. So again, what the fuck is it he said? Tootoo just dropped a god damn bomb and let people speculate. That's shittier than anything Burrows did in this incident.

I love how you're trying so hard to portray Burrows as the villain, did he do something to you personally?

Clearly it isn't that big of a deal because the NHL has done nothing. All they did is remind Burrows that the mics could pick up what was said. Burrows has stated multiple times that it had nothing to do with Tootoo's substance issues or his brother's passing. So again, what the fuck is it he said? Tootoo just dropped a god damn bomb and let people speculate. That's shittier than anything Burrows did in this incident.

I love how you're trying so hard to portray Burrows as the villain, did he do something to you personally?

No, but I could say the same to you. You are trying so hard to make it seem like he is an angel just because you follow what Botchford says haha

So half my fantasy team is either DTD or on IR. I though hockey players were tough. Bunch of fucking pussies more like it.

Sounds like my fantasy football team. No Romo, No Charlies, No Dion Lewis and T.Y. Hilton has always been questionable.

No, but I could say the same to you. You are trying so hard to make it seem like he is an angel just because you follow what Botchford says haha

I never said he was an angel. I'm saying I agree with Botchford's sentiments that Tootoo was blowing his top over nothing. Burrows will say a lot of shit, but I believe he's not someone who would make comments on a suicide or race issues. Alcohol was a little debatable, because he has gone after other players for their substance issues. I'm not the one running around calling people "coward" or "scum" either.

Grow the fuck up.

I never said he was an angel. I'm saying I agree with Botchford's sentiments that Tootoo was blowing his top over nothing. Burrows will say a lot of shit, but I believe he's not someone who would make comments on a suicide or race issues. Alcohol was a little debatable, because he has gone after other players for their substance issues. I'm not the one running around calling people "coward" or "scum" either.

Grow the fuck up.

Over with now. I just feel backing a guy simply for being a fan of the team is outside morals.

Edited by Kendrick

• 2 weeks later...