SHL Refugee

SabresFan

A couple of people over in the SHL PMed me about this site on my way out of the SHL.  The SHL was my first attempt at a Sim league of any kind.  I liked the concept, but hated the constant turmoil and the harsh rules enforcement over there.  I never got suspended or banned myself, but the constant distraction of seeing other player's efforts, or whole team's efforts ruined over there turned me off.  I'm interested in knowing what is different about this league.  I see names here that should know both leagues well.

Hey, I'm dankoa on the SHL, good to see you made the jump. There's guys here who've been around a lot longer in both leagues but I'd personally say this is a much more friendly and open league to be a part of. There's no pretence or bs like you can get over there, everyone's just here to have fun. Really hope you make a player and stick with it, it's definitely worth it!

Difference is we are a smaller community with more of a tighter knit member base. We came well before the SHL, in fact the creators of the SHL started in our league. Lot of rule differences and various budget type things. We run off weekly PT's that are auto graded at 6/6 TPE if they are done to a good standard (aka just not rushed).

Another few differences, your players career can only be at max 8 seasons here. Also you don't start with any player type that changes or restricts the way you build your player. Your attributes all start at a number, and all can be increased as you see fit per the scale. There is probably a few minor differences regarding some structure or something. Anyways. Welcome, as most have said we are easily more laid back here, and while we do have some drama it's rarely near the crazy levels of the SHL. 

28 minutes ago, SabresFan said:

What I'm looking for is a league that is a bit more lighthearted. The seriousness of the almighty discipline committee over there is a bit too drunk with power for me.  I just want to chill out and remember that these are games for entertainment, not second jobs.

That's this place. Over in the SHL I tend to do my PT, Activity Check and Training and then I jet out for the week and don't join much discussion. Over here the board is more organized and the blue team (Commissioners) are like your next door neighbours, not some prick where a mall cop uniform.

12 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

That's this place. Over in the SHL I tend to do my PT, Activity Check and Training and then I jet out for the week and don't join much discussion. Over here the board is more organized and the blue team (Commissioners) are like your next door neighbours, not some prick where a mall cop uniform.

I wasn't ever a target of the mall cops, but I like your description.  That's exactly the vibe I got over there.

53 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

DJ Khaled endorses the VHL, cuz we duh best and we takin ovuh!

in all reality this is a fun site. I'm on my first player create myself.

Also Bernie Sanders, Mother Theresa and Jean Claude Van Damm have also endorsed the VHL.

Just now, Smarch said:

If your quote isn't irony at its finest I'm not sure what would qualify then

simmer down smarch, i wasn't being snarky. if i was being snarky i would've pointed out the irony of kendrick's choice of what to call the dc over on the SHL, but I haven't been back long enough to start provoking some of you yet.

2 minutes ago, jaladolar said:

simmer down smarch, i wasn't being snarky. if i was being snarky i would've pointed out the irony of kendrick's choice of what to call the dc over on the SHL, but I haven't been back long enough to start provoking some of you yet.

How would that be irony? Ever seen Paul Blart?

I'm a member of both places, and the VHL is definitely the more relaxed and fun place to be. Over in the SHL, I basically do Activity Check, training, and PT's then don't go there much besides checking out my own team's LR. That's it. I never really venture outside of my own LR. There's too much fuckery going on over there.

In the VHL it's different.

VHL - 450 words gets you 6 TPE if you follow the criteria, which isn't hard.

SHL - 1300 words gives you $1M, which gives you 5 TPE in training.

This is basically why I'm always fucking broke over on the SHL. It takes so much writing to get less TPE than writing does here. I don't have the time to be writing 1300 words just for that tiny amount of TPE. I don't really like the cash system for TPE over there. It's not like that here.

I'm glad you've found your way over here! One of my favorite things here is the awesome community, as most people here are very friendly and laid back. The commishes (Draper and Higgins and Jardy) are some of the coolest members on here. 

As the VHLM Commish (VHL Minors) , I guess I should inform you on what will be going once you create your player. We are currently in the finals of both our VHL and VHLM playoff series, which will end in a few days, and after that we have the offseason which will be about a week and a half. During the offseason you be will drafted to a VHLM team during the VHLM draft, where your player will spend his first season. The following offseason, you will be drafted by a VHL team and either move up to the VHL or stay down for another season of training depending on how much tpe you have earned. If you have any questions I'll be happy to help!

• Admin

Hey it's Checkmate, I'm glad to see you here. I doubt I could expand on all the wonderful posts above though.

In all honesty, I even see marginal improvement in the SHL every time I visit but based on the aspects you consider important I think this is the right place.

5 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

In the VHL it's different.

VHL - 450 words gets you 6 TPE if you follow the criteria, which isn't hard.

SHL - 1300 words gives you $1M, which gives you 5 TPE in training.

Not gonna lie, you now describing acquiring TPE in the SHL as being more strict/difficult than the VHL has made me a little sad. Once upon a time that was our biggest difference! We actually did things to improve our players, and they just fucked around and made 30 page threads about spam shit no one cared about and as long as you showed up your player could be sweet. Which I always found pretty gay.

Now apparently they got VHL strict to hand out (extra) points and we got SHL soft to retain members. What a day.

Anyway, welcome @SabresFan! Regardless of how anyone could feel about our point systems, we're undoubtedly way cooler of a community (if not smaller) than the SHL. Not that I want to put them down; at this point they've basically survived as long as we have, and are fine and dandy in their own way.

But they are, in fact, quite gay, so I hope you find our quaint league more satisfying!