CGY/QUE; S52

eaglesfan036

• Commissioner
34 minutes ago, flyersfan1493 said:

This isn't exactly new...

Never said it was new, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Seems like the kind of thing that should involve a loophole getting closed. Something along the lines of "Players signed via FA during the off-season are not eligible to have part of their contract covered via trade." Of course the commishes gain from it so it's not likely.

8 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Seems like the kind of thing that should involve a loophole getting closed. Something along the lines of "Players signed via FA during the off-season are not eligible to have part of their contract covered via trade." Of course the commishes gain from it so it's not likely.

:rolleyes:

Would your opinion change if this trade happened at the deadline instead of game 40?

How is this different than me theoretically signing with Quebec for two years, and then getting traded in the second year rather than the first?

4 minutes ago, Beketov said:

This has been happening for as long as i can remember, why are you suddenly so upset by this? 

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Meh, I don't know if that's entirely fair either though. Riga for example was a risky place to sign/re-sign for the somehow four or so people who did, it's nice to offer a bit of a safety net to those players if needed.  And a 2nd isn't exactly nothing, especially with these Player 2 drafts. And if Frank really wanted he could handcuff both Gows for more or whatever. And signing and trading with a standing team isn't uncommon or frowned upon, and this fundamentally isn't much different.

The only thing that's kind of shady about this deal I suppose is that Calgary got a young Labatte finalist for a 2nd rounder. But again, that's more Frank's problem than anything (although I understand he could have been underbid by someone else if that sort of off-season dealing was going on)

• Commissioner
6 minutes ago, eaglesfan036 said:

This has been happening for as long as i can remember, why are you suddenly so upset by this? 

Maybe it's because I'm on the team he chose to leave, maybe it's because you got a top player for very little. I can admit I'm probably bias on this one but it's still annoying.

Having something like this pre-arranged just kinda kills the integrity of Free Agency. No other team standing a chance is one thing but this also adds in the fact that you guys don't even have to pay full price for him.

Edited by Beketov

• Commissioner
1 minute ago, ADwyer87 said:

Wait, so this was prearranged???

I'll admit I'm guessing on that one but I don't see a lot of reasons for Gow to have signed with Quebec unless something like this was pre-planned.

8 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Maybe it's because I'm on the team he chose to leave, maybe it's because you got a top player for very little. I can admit I'm probably bias on this one but it's still annoying.

Having something like this pre-arranged just kinda kills the integrity of Free Agency. No other team standing a chance is one thing but this also adds in the fact that you guys don't even have to pay full price for him.

I understand the bolded and why it was annoying for Seattle specifically, but everyone who asked me (all legally) knew I was testing free agency this off-season. Read that as you will.

4 minutes ago, ADwyer87 said:

Wait, so this was prearranged???

From free agency? Yeah. Why else would I sign in Quebec? (sorry @Frank and @YEAH!stlemania and whoever else I'm missing)

Didn't Seattle give up a S53 2nd themselves to get Gow in the first place? Think that in itself nullifies the argument of Calgary giving up "very little" to circumvent cap problems if that's the price they paid themselves to get him.

1 hour ago, flyersfan1493 said:

Collusion? What rule is being broken? Would this trade have been more "acceptable" if it happened a season earlier and I was traded directly from Helsinki?

Absolutely, Seattle didn't say "hey we don't have the salary for you so sign with this rebuilding team and we'll trade for you later in exchange for scraps so that we can circumvent the cap system."(unless Banackock is hiding something from me). It's not breaking a rule, yes, but the definition of collusion as per Websters online dictionary is "secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose". This is certainly a secret agreement and it sure seems deceitful, to me at least, to have a player sign somewhere else for the express purpose getting around a rule, especially if the league didn't know about it beforehand, which I admittedly do not know if it was the case. I think a rule should absolutely be put in place to stop this. If it was an organic trade then no worries but as you said yourself this was the plan from day 1.