Game of Thrones

Victor

36 minutes ago, tfong said:

From last episode.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

To be fair, she was actually really cold. Jon had to warm her up ;)

• Commissioner
30 minutes ago, tfong said:

I don't know what counts as a spoiler or not! Maybe someone didn't see last season!

Honestly last season was what like a year and a half ago? That’s well outside the spoiler window IMO. I’d say anything S8 should be spoiler tagged but 1-7 is fair game.

• Commissioner
8 minutes ago, Victor said:

Pretty sure this thread has always been show spoilers but not book spoilers (but obviously those are irrelevant now).

Ned Stark dies.

oh my god wow GIF

20 hours ago, oilmandan said:

Just watched the last episode. bran is the night king

Your mom is in Night King

Nah, I have a new theory.

Bran will some how be the one who ends up with the right to the Iron Throne.

but he wont be able to make it up the stairs to the throne, throwing the whole seven kingdoms back into turmoil.

17 minutes ago, Spade18 said:

Your mom is in Night King

Nah, I have a new theory.

Bran will some how be the one who ends up with the right to the Iron Throne.

but he wont be able to make it up the stairs to the throne, throwing the whole seven kingdoms back into turmoil.

When the white walkers are defeated, and the truth comes out about Jon Snow, the Lannisters will bend the knee as they respect anyone who sleeps with their own family.... the end

18 minutes ago, oilmandan said:

When the white walkers are defeated, and the truth comes out about Jon Snow, the Lannisters will bend the knee as they respect anyone who sleeps with their own family.... the end

oh shi-

I was trying to watch the show but I can't understand how it is considered entertaining. I mean whatever someone likes they like and I am cool with that and all but just go read the books or if it's not for you go back to another Tv Show.

• Commissioner
1 hour ago, Sova said:

I was trying to watch the show but I can't understand how it is considered entertaining. I mean whatever someone likes they like and I am cool with that and all but just go read the books or if it's not for you go back to another Tv Show.

FWIW I’m reading the books as well and they do offer a bit more detail and stuff but it’s not the worst adaptation ever. At least seasons 1-6. 7 got a bit wonky without source material and they started getting a bit cheeky pandering to the fans but it’s not like the books are a masterpiece and the show is crap. The books have plenty of weirdness in them as well that i groan at.

48 minutes ago, Beketov said:

FWIW I’m reading the books as well and they do offer a bit more detail and stuff but it’s not the worst adaptation ever. At least seasons 1-6. 7 got a bit wonky without source material and they started getting a bit cheeky pandering to the fans but it’s not like the books are a masterpiece and the show is crap. The books have plenty of weirdness in them as well that i groan at.

I disagree with you right there. The dorne story is so much better and it's really important. The young grif? Vocation? The whole theme of breaking the wheel is almost entirely missing in the show. So I think yes the show is normal TV and the books are good. 

8 hours ago, Sova said:

First 4 seasons were great. It isn't nearly as good anymore, though. The writing is Marvel movie tier unbearable at times.

On 4/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, Tyler said:

First 4 seasons were great. It isn't nearly as good anymore, though. The writing is Marvel movie tier unbearable at times.

I can totally understand people who have this experience. I'm not going to pretend that the writing hasn't changed, and it's impossible...I mean nearly impossible unless your digging for specific genre fare to find any type of popular sci-fi or fantasy these days that isn't "Marvel" inspired in writing. I don't always think that is a good thing, mostly because I don't think anybody, Thrones included, does it better than Marvel. Especially when you consider the popularity, and that so many people are either for or against that style/tone, you'd figure people would recognize the saturation and tone it down.

That said I will say that I think Thrones the show earned the right to push things/wrap things up more so in the direction they have been. Part of the writing change is I don't think the creators of the show really knew how to deal with not even just losing the books as source material, but moving the story down a path that takes it slightly away from the political intrigue and war-games of before. I'm not saying if/when Martin finishes the books that we still won't see that, but I imagine it'll be around the edges of the main story. He still told them how it ends, and I think it was always clear that there was a pseudo narrative of the "smart" getting outdone by the "impossible" in this universe. The "smart" dismissed all the magical shenanigans, the undead, the whole lot for much of the early books/shows. And we all knew the undead army would fight, that Dany's dragons would meet up etc. Like these aren't just "show" things right? These are book things. If anything all their more action fantasy approach only tells me that they probably didn't know a better way to focus on other things, or that the ending of the books/show has a point that makes this approach make more sense. Or it's popular, and this is what people do with popular things and that's fine but it's not for everyone. Any number of those things lol.

Anyway to talk about tonight's episode. I thought it was good, they have pretty much gotten far past the idea that every character is important though. Cersei didn't show up at all this week and I think that could be a theme if they decide to make the big battle more than one episode, something they've yet to do and I believe will happen. Little one off things like Ghost reuiniting was shown in a background scene, Gilly in a throwaway scene or two. I also very much get the vibe that everyone in the Crypts is either dead or someone infiltrated them to turn them undead. The episode mentioned the Crypts being safe like...a hundred times it felt like. Plus Bran warned "plot" characters not to get to the Crypt, furthering expectation that something is up with the Crypt. I loved the scene where the entire group of rag-tag string alongs were sitting discussing how crazy it is they all made it to this point despite weaknesses/different journey's. If any of those characters was remotely self aware they may just connect the dots that Bran constantly says he's not Bran, and he knows everything. And every single one of them owes their reason for being there to "timely" moments, almost as if...someone is putting all the pieces together so certain people can be at a certain spot for one reason. And when someone kills one of those pieces (like Jon) they magically come back to life. The show portraying all these characters as if they think it's just random dumb luck that they are here can work for me only if we get a scene where Bran just monologues explaining all he knows/has done and they all go "fuck we are stupid, god damn magic." 

We did find out the thing Bran "doesn't" know however, which is he Night King stuff connected to Bran, so unless Bran himself was lying about not knowing that throws a wrinkle on things. Serious question, what is the over/under on the show ending with some sort of deus ex machina or equivalent? I long thought that it was an inevitably for it to wrap up that way, unless Martin planned on just brings all these pivotal characters to the end and make it look like some grand thing only to kill all of them off and have the Night King win. That'd be more in line with what Thrones reputation is. A lot of this episode even as the army showed up in the end absolutely had a movie Lord of the Rings feel though. 

@flyersfan1453 said to me that he thinks this was the worst game of thrones episode of all time, because if this episode was just straight up deleted and we skipped to episode 3's battle, nothing of consequence would be lost. What really happened in this episode?

I don't think it is the worst (Sand Snakes or the one when Dany saves Jon and Co with the dragons were worse). At the very least, it reminds you much you really like these characters before they all die. Using two episodes to set up though with only six total is really dumb. If this were a 10 season episode I would be fine with it, but I felt like a lot of time was wasted (Dragon riding scene, sitting by fires). 

25 minutes ago, Devise said:

I also very much get the vibe that everyone in the Crypts is either dead or someone infiltrated them to turn them undead. The episode mentioned the Crypts being safe like...a hundred times it felt like. Plus Bran warned "plot" characters not to get to the Crypt, furthering expectation that something is up with the Crypt.

100% agreed, they mentioned the crypts being safe way too much this episode. Also, in the season 8 trailer they show Arya running around scared in what looks like the crypts. 

Also, I really hope they didn't map out how episode 3 is going to go in talking about using Bran as bait to kill the night king.

I predict that the white walkers will start to overtake the living, all will look lost, then the night king goes after Bran. Jon Snow somehow manages to get into a 1v1 with him, and kills him, thus destroying all the white walkers. Would be the same miracle savior ending as the Battle of the Bastards and Dany saving  everyone with her dragons, and would be super lame if that's the case.

I'm completely fine with this episode. I loved it, actually...especially considering the final 3 episodes are like an hour and a half.

This episode was a huge character building one, and cleared up some more questions, much like episode 1.

Something is definitely going to happen with the Winterfell crypts. They've mentioning more than enough times how safe it is down there. They've also mentioned in the past how even though Winterfell stays heated, the crypts are always still freezing. Those bodies are probably still well preserved. I can only assume that they'll rise from the dead, whether to fight for the Starks as some magical beings a la Lord of the Rings ghost army, or quite possibly that's what Arya was so afraid of in the trailers.

For a girl that's not afraid of death, she seemed really spooked in the trailers running in the crypts, so I feel like she's maybe being chased by Ned? I don't know what else would scare her like that.

I do hope we somehow get to see Lady Stoneheart though. She was a cool character in the books and never made her way to the show. It's nice to see Ghost this episode too. He hadn't been on screen in awhile.....and they didn't even acknowledge him there.