Claimed: What do I love about the VHL?

Banackock

It seems like the last couple of seasons (more specifically, since Season 50ish), the league has found itself in quite the situation. Members who have been on the VHL since the stone ages have been dropping like annoying, pesky fruit flies in your summertime kitchens. Members who once contributed so much to this site are now either gone completely or logging in and appearing as ghost like figures. Many around the boards have been bitching, whining or kicking up a storm. "The league is dying, the league is dying" one little @Bushito exclaimed. One can't help but think he's a little silly given past patterns of league quietness, but some like @punkhippie and @BobertZ seem to think he's right. In fact, a recent call from @Higgins and numerous members of the B.O.G @Beketov + @Devise + @ADV etc have even come on saying changes need to happen - members need to come together. They've also expressed some things needing to be added or subtracted from the VHL. Others, like the welfare system, also caught some punishment from a wide range of VHL users such as @jRuutu, @boubabi and company. 

The things we all have been focusing on lately are things we dislike. The fact that this has disappeared, or this went away. We miss them, or her or him. We hate how some people bitch and cry 24/7 and cause shit storms on the daily. We dislike how inactive players reap similar rewards that very active players get. The list goes on and on. In my eyes, it's a flawed system . We list off the things we dislike or hate about the site. I recently posted an article and received so much attention (it shocked me). This is good. Yet, it was bad. We started talking about the we disliked. It instantly and drastically caused a divide among members (something we don't need right now). At a time when we should come together, it seems a greater divide is occurring. We need to start focusing on what good the league has. Thus, here is a quick list of things I enjoy on the VHL (or reasons I log in most days).

1. I love the idea it offers  - make a player, not just "be a GM of an NHL team".

I've been in GM leagues for years and years now. If I had to throw a number on it, I'd guess somewhere around 8+ years. It's hard to believe given my age, but it could actually be even more. Hockey is a huge passion of mine. I'ma  huge Oilers fan and played hockey competitively as a kid and growing up. Being Canadian, the NHL was always a dream in the back of my eyes. Due to reasons left unexplained, the dream eventually faded. This is the closest I can get. Offering a different variety to the normal GM leagues is something I love.

2. The community is much more relaxed than the SHL

It seems like all the children go on to play over in the SHL, where we have the more mature community. Sure, it could be because the more people you have, the more assholes you have, but it doesn't overly seem to be the case here. We have a solid group of members. We argue, we bicker. Sometimes we don't get along. I like to think at the end of the day though we have a solid community of people here. This is something that everyone needs to learn to understand. 

3. Opportunity

I'm a GM. I GM'd Bratislava for 5 seasons and than moved onto the Bears for 8. While we haven't had huge success under my reign, we've had great seasons and the start was a learning curve. It's unlike any other league I've managed in, so it took awhile to gain experience. I feel more confident now. While the role has it's hardships (with fully enjoying players), I love the role and will always give 100%. My goal is to bring a cup to Seattle. What I like about the VHL is that if you want something, you can become it. Updater, GM, commissioner, mag writer etc. If you want it, put in the time and activity - it's yours. No hate, no discriminate.

4. Update Scale

I like that shit. Way more than the SHL tbh, but different rates of earning tpe is the one to blame for that.

Now, let's see how easy it is for the VHL community to list off something they like about the VHL. AAAANNNND... GO!

And with that, claim 6 for Forsberg please.

3 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

i like the career length tbh, sure itd be fun to play forever but having it at 8 seasons keeps things fresh, im not opposed to 10 seasons though i think that is perfect anyway that is a 'decade' and it'd be just right in my opinion.

Totally agree, man! Also may give people a little more time in their "prime". I think it would be a small risk by the league to change the career, but it would pay off. :) We have the two player thing, so there shouldn't be an issue with drafts. Also, we just have to recruit more !

• Commissioner

No love from @DollarAndADream:(

I'm not going to go naming a bunch of people but for me the VHL has always been, and continues to be, about the community. I had an entire season real early on where I couldn't do shit all with my player so I learned to enjoy other aspects of the site. We may not always get along but the community aspect of the league is what keeps me here. I've left the SHL more times than I can count because the member base is just too damn toxic. Do they have more active members than us? Probably. But I would take 1 VHL member over 10 SHL members any day.

Also, I said I wouldn't mention specific names but I do want to throw a shoutout to @Beaviss. Our retention isn't always the best so it's always great to see young blood so invested in the league from the get go.

53 minutes ago, Beketov said:

No love from @DollarAndADream:(

I'm not going to go naming a bunch of people but for me the VHL has always been, and continues to be, about the community. I had an entire season real early on where I couldn't do shit all with my player so I learned to enjoy other aspects of the site. We may not always get along but the community aspect of the league is what keeps me here. I've left the SHL more times than I can count because the member base is just too damn toxic. Do they have more active members than us? Probably. But I would take 1 VHL member over 10 SHL members any day.

Also, I said I wouldn't mention specific names but I do want to throw a shoutout to @Beaviss. Our retention isn't always the best so it's always great to see young blood so invested in the league from the get go.

Hey, buddy, we haven't played together a ton and that's where most of my VHL memories come from! It wasn't until Holik and Parechkin in Seattle, and now obviously in Toronto. I enjoyed your vidcasts when I was watching them more, and tend to agree with most of what you're saying in threads. Also you make sick sigs.

Branching off of that, I always find it odd in a great way how many great graphics guys there seem to be in these leagues. Photoshoppers seem to just flock to these kinds of things, and that's pretty cool. I'm a lot better than I used to be, even though I'm still not much compared to the Gods. :P

• Commissioner
30 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Branching off of that, I always find it odd in a great way how many great graphics guys there seem to be in these leagues. Photoshoppers seem to just flock to these kinds of things, and that's pretty cool. I'm a lot better than I used to be, even though I'm still not much compared to the Gods. :P

I'm not sure if photoshoppers flock to leagues or if leagues make photoshoppers haha. I had never touched any GFX program until I joined the ESHL years ago and I know most people were the same way. Podcasts weren't a think back then so if you didn't want to right you better get damn good at making sigs haha

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I'm not sure if photoshoppers flock to leagues or if leagues make photoshoppers haha. I had never touched any GFX program until I joined the ESHL years ago and I know most people were the same way. Podcasts weren't a think back then so if you didn't want to right you better get damn good at making sigs haha

That's what happened to me. I was sick of writing stuff week after week. There's only so many articles you can write before you need a break. :P

• Commissioner
2 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

That's what happened to me. I was sick of writing stuff week after week. There's only so many articles you can write before you need a break. :P

Exactly haha. You'll get better at GFX, it comes with time. I've posted my first one a few times though it has been awhile since I have. I don't think it's link is even live anymore but trust me, it's an absolute piece of shit. Most people are the same. It takes time to develop the skills to do it. Even at my peak (which I'm nowhere near anymore) I was never as good as some people.

15 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

I like @Frank, @Pablo, and @STZ. Those Quebec City Meute years with Thomassen, Wolf, Boychuk, Waldron, and Wylde were some great ones. They were my first real seasons in the VHL on a contending team for multiple seasons. I know, I know, I won 3 cups in a row with @Molholt and @CowboyinAmerica......but those Meute days will always feel extra special with Boychuk being my first player. Obviously the 3peat was fucking nasty though.

squawwww