Helsinki Titans Press Conference

Quik

On 7/11/2022 at 12:55 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

For the week ending 7/17/22:

1. The Titans are in fourth in the conference about a third of the way through the season? Is this better or worse than you expected?

2. What's been the surprise of the VHL season so far to you?

3. What needs to happen for the Titans to begin to rise up the standings?

4. The Americans' GM recently stepped down following disagreements after the team's latest trade. Do you think VHL teams can actually be "cursed" to perform poorly?

5. It's the height of summer in the northern hemisphere. What's your favorite cookout food?

6. What's your favorite beach or lake experience?

1. I would say worse... definitely believe you guys should be top two if not first. There's still time though and I hope you guys get there!

2. All the assists Ori's been getting, I don't what happened to his goal scoring that he had here but it's just dropped off in Seattle XD

3. I'm really not sure.... better defense maybe? The scoring and goaltending I'm sure are fine.

4. No but that won't stop people from believing in it XD

5. Hotdogs I guess lol

6. Going on a jet sky, or going on a tub getting pulled behind a boat, those are pretty fun.

1. The Titans are in fourth in the conference about a third of the way through the season? Is this better or worse than you expected?

Well I wasn't sure what to expect this season, so if we continue to improve, that 4th will become 3rd, or even 2nd with a good run.

My distinct lack of interest outside of the Titans games. I check the HEL box scores then close the VHL again...

If I knew that, I'd be the GM that everyone assumed had found a new meta and thus become hated by the league.

4. The Americans' GM recently stepped down following disagreements after the team's latest trade. Do you think VHL teams can actually be "cursed" to perform poorly?

They can't be cursed, but certain assholes in this league continue to assert their verbal diarrhea onto the VHL forum and reactions like the one seen by the NY GM will continue to happen. Some people just need to STFU.

5. It's the height of summer in the northern hemisphere. What's your favorite cookout food?

A whole Kangaroo.

Looking at the sexy ladies at the beach. Oh, ummm, rescuing whales.

Well I expected better, but like life anything can happen. Maybe we can hit a serious hot streak here.

Moscow lost Idaho and are as dominant as ever. They need to heck off.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with our roster. We have the talent. Might just need some finishing touches with updates to get us going.

Not at all. The teams that succeed, or remain relatively competitive, have the best GMs. I mean no offense to the GMs that struggle. What I've noticed is if you want to win in any capacity, you need to have a vision for your team, build a strong relationship with your peers, maintain an honest reputation, and don't do anything rash. I notice a lot of teams falter when the GM goes for the big franchise-changing trade. You never really know if it's gonna work. That's why drafting and developing your own talent is so important. Although I do think some GMs just can't get the luck of the draw because of who came before them. So I guess there's that.

Gotta go with ribs. I would eat them every day if I could.

For 4th of July my family in Florida gets together for a week at the beach. It's always a great time. 

Edited by zepheter

For the week ending 7/24/22:

1. It's VHL birthday week! What's your favorite VHL memory?

2. If the VHL was a person, what would you get them as a birthday gift?

3. What's your favorite birthday party you've been to?

4. Being 15 years old as a sim league is insane to me. What do you think has allowed the VHL to last this long?

5. The VHL has been around since 2007. What were you doing in 2007? (If you were even here in 2007!)

6. Prediction time: Do you think the VHL hits 20? Or at least 100 seasons? 

On 7/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

For the week ending 7/24/22:

4. Being 15 years old as a sim league is insane to me. What do you think has allowed the VHL to last this long?

5. The VHL has been around since 2007. What were you doing in 2007? (If you were even here in 2007!)

1. Winning the Founder's cup in season 70 with the Storm!! @Rayzor_7 @Mr_Hattergood time that was ^^

2. A signed hockey stick from a player.

3. Is it wrong I can't think of one? I didn't get to go to many ^^''

4. People not giving up on it, people staying engaged with it, helps that some of the OG's have stayed around right?

5. in 2007 I would have been turning 9 years old that year, I was still living in a small town and usually playing games on our wii, or my gameboy.

6. Yes to both, I can't see it ending before that XD

Personally it's when Tordahl was inducted to the HOF, but for the League itself, just the friends I've made along the way.

The best Scotch I can afford and a box of Cubans.

My own 21st. When you throw up a couple of cigarette butts, you've had a good time.

Good management and dedicated core members who have always been active and interested in the VHL's development.

Learning that my Uni degree was pretty useless and discovering that the real world will eat you alive if you let it.

Yes to both. It may not be with the same management group in place, but longevity is something the VHL definitely has.

For the week ending 7/31/22:

1. As of this writing, the Titans are on a 10 game winning streak! What's enabled the team to do so well?

2. What will it take for the Titans to hold off the Dynamo and Reign for third?

3. Do you think Helsinki could catch Warsaw for second (or even Moscow for first)?

4. Nico Pearce is leading the league in points too, what do you think led to his big jump in production this season?

5. Now that VHL Birthday Week is over, did you have a favorite memory or retrospective?

6. A quieter VHL Trade Deadline once again, would you like to see more trade action this time of year?

1. As of this writing, the Titans are on a 10 game winning streak! What's enabled the team to do so well?

Looks like the team has pretty good chemistry and we’re getting offense from players throughout the lineup. 

Gotta keep things the way they are. Barring a string of bad games, don’t fix what isn’t broken. 

3. Do you think Helsinki could catch Warsaw for second (or even Moscow for first)?

Definitely not Moscow. If we can continue to string some wins together down the stretch, then we absolutely can. 

4. Nico Pearce is leading the league in points too, what do you think led to his big jump in production this season?

Hard work finally paid off. Should’ve been this way for a season or two. Happy for him. 

5. Now that VHL Birthday Week is over, did you have a favorite memory or retrospective?

I really liked winning a cup with the Bears in S77 during my last season. I’m not much of a factor when it comes to individual success, so it means a lot when I can chip in to win it all. 

6. A quieter VHL Trade Deadline once again, would you like to see more trade action this time of year?

I’m not too big on making huge trade deadline acquisitions. Many times it comes back to bite both teams in the ass. It’s definitely worth it to maximize your chances of winning a cup, but I wouldn’t break the bank to do it. 

On 7/25/2022 at 2:29 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

1. As of this writing, the Titans are on a 10 game winning streak! What's enabled the team to do so well?

1. I think we were just playing our game and the passes were connecting and shots were ending up in goals. Everyone was doing their job and we just got our wins.

2. Honestly both of those teams have been struggling a bit and we've been surging after those rough NA losses. Just have to stay focused on getting good seeding for the playoffs.

3. We could scare Warsaw for sure with some consistent play, maybe another run of wins. Moscow is 16 points ahead with just 11 games left for us to play, so it feels a bit out of our hands. We can try to win out for sure, but we would need some luck to pass Moscow.

4. It was great to have everything click a bit this season, but my linemates are great as well and have been having great seasons as well. Just nice to see everyone doing well off each other and contributing to each other's success.

5. I always enjoy looking back at when I first joined the VHLM and playing for LVA as a new user. Was a naive time and a solid place to be as a first-gen.

6. I don't quite mind a slow TDL especially since the off-season is pretty hectic and chaotic for trades. Sure, we don't have the most cap space around the league but I think the off-seasons are fairly eventful.

On 7/25/2022 at 11:29 AM, CowboyinAmerica said:

1. Everyone just playing well together, everyone is playing their role close to perfect and everyone is putting in the effort.

2. High skilled played for the rest of the season, and a bit of luck.

3. Moscow is probably out of reach, as for Warsaw, at the time of writing you've already passed them, matter of staying ahead of them and maybe passing D.C for second overall.

4. Just him upgrading his player more and be surrounded by other superstar players!

5. I said it last post but winning the Founder's cup in S70!

6. Not that I pay much attention to it but it would be fun!

On 7/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

1. I think our compete level and our capability of working together allows us to outperform teams that may be more talented but less coordinated.

2. Making sure that we're playing good and attacking in the neutral zone, and keeping those loose pucks away from our net.

3. Absolutely! This team has what it takes!

4. I think the jump the Titans have taken overall has helped Pearce really come into a league of his own.

5. I think entering the league was awesome and meeting the community. The community is what helped me fall in love with the VHL initially.

6. Always more trades and big moves, but GMs aren't going to rush into bad moves as they should.

It's obviously the benching of Hammar Voss, therefore limiting his liability as a player.

The Titans believe in the powerful effect of prayer, and positive thinking.

Ummmm, no. There is a limit to the power of prayer and positive thinking apparently.

Just like in other aspects of life, the cream always rises to the top. 

No, but that is mainly due to the fact that I'm convinced that I have early-onset dementia. I can barely remember things from one or two players ago, yet alone 15 years.

Yes. Let's force GM's to trade, and punish them by removing draft picks from them if they don't. Let's make GM's really earn their title.

For the week ending 8/7/22:

1. The end of the regular season is here! Did Helsinki perform to your expectations?

2. How about personally, did you perform as well as you wanted?

3. Who would you call the Titans MVP this season?

4. As of this writing, it's looking a lot like a Helsinki/Warsaw playoff matchup. Who wins and why?

5. Do you think anybody in Europe can beat Moscow this season?

6. What's your VHL Finals prediction?

1. The end of the regular season is here! Did Helsinki perform to your expectations?

Absolutely. I predicted 72-0, but in hindsight that was a very bold take. Finishing second in the division is a great accomplishment when you consider how tough the conference was.

2. How about personally, did you perform as well as you wanted?

I really wanted 30 goals and maybe score at a point per game pace. Unfortunately I was just short of both, but I'm happy I was able to improve on last season's totals.

3. Who would you call the Titans MVP this season?

We had several great players this season, but for me it's Pearce. He really took over as the most dominant player in the league. Booberry deserves a lot of credit for being in that category as well. 

4. As of this writing, it's looking a lot like a Helsinki/Warsaw playoff matchup. Who wins and why?

I'll try not to be biased here, but Helsinki has the up front, depth and back end scoring advantage. Superior goaltending and better management 😉.

5. Do you think anybody in Europe can beat Moscow this season?

Heck yeah. I think Helsinki is the only team with a chance, but it's gonna have to go the distance to beat a team like that.

6. What's your VHL Finals prediction?

I'm gonna be biased here. Helsinki vs Seattle. I think it'll go 6 games and I'm not sure who will win.

For the week ending 8/14/22:

1. We're into the playoffs! What do you want to say to the Helsinki fans ahead of the matchup against Warsaw?

2. Do you approach a playoff game any different from a regular season game?

3. They say playoff games are a bit more physical. Is that a good thing or bad thing with your style of play?

4. The Wild Card round had both 5 seeds beating 4 seeds. Are you expecting a lot of upsets this year?

5. Other than Helsinki, which playoff series are you most looking forward to?

6. Other than Helsinki, what would be your favorite VHL city to play a playoff game?

1. We're into the playoffs! What do you want to say to the Helsinki fans ahead of the matchup against Warsaw?

We appreciate the support all season and can’t wait to hear the best fans carry us through this playoffs!

I keep a very similar routine. Don’t want any added stress or nerves going into the most important games of the season.

3. They say playoff games are a bit more physical. Is that a good thing or bad thing with your style of play?

A big part of my game is to avoid hitting and taking hits to reduce the chances of penalties. I don’t think it will hurt the team when we have some heavy hitters throughout the lineup. 

4. The Wild Card round had both 5 seeds beating 4 seeds. Are you expecting a lot of upsets this year?

I can’t see either of the wild card teams pulling off upsets. Moscow and DC are just built to beat those teams. Other than that it’s mostly a toss up. I could see almost any team winning it all. 

I’ll always be tuned in to the Seattle games. I really liked my time there with my previous player so it’s hard not to root for Bana. 

6. Other than Helsinki, what would be your favorite VHL city to play a playoff game?

Probably Seattle. Great fans and winning culture there. 

1. We're into the playoffs! What do you want to say to the Helsinki fans ahead of the matchup against Warsaw?

What would I like to say to the fans? Well, from the bottom of my tiny heart, I apologize in advance.

Considering that I don't prepare for a regular season game, then yes, I will prepare as normal.

I couldn't hit a barn door with a basketball, so I don't think the change in physicality will have any impact on my terrible game play.

Who knows with this shitty RNG that is merely hockey "themed". 

None. I don't pay attention to the other games. 

I'll tell you if or when we ever make the playoffs again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm claiming for today but figure it's for people to answer over the next week:

1. Well, we lost to Warsaw in 7. What's your emotions like after the final game?

2. Anything you would have done differently in the final games to win the series?

3. How do you feel about your own personal playoff performance this season?

4. Warsaw went on to beat Moscow to head to the finals. Does that make losing easier, knowing how tough a team they are, or more difficult knowing Helsinki could have had a shot?

5. Taking the season as a whole, should this be considered a success for Helsinki?

6. Any parting thoughts to our teammates who are retiring and leaving us this off-season?

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

1. Well, we lost to Warsaw in 7. What's your emotions like after the final game?

It sucks. Really thought we had what it takes, but Warsaw was the better team. 

2. Anything you would have done differently in the final games to win the series?

I'm not sure what else we could do. We took them as far as we could. It just wasn't our year.

Way better than expected. I hope to carry the momentum into next season. 

4. Warsaw went on to beat Moscow to head to the finals. Does that make losing easier, knowing how tough a team they are, or more difficult knowing Helsinki could have had a shot?

It's still disappointing, but sometimes we just have to admit we lost to a better team. That was every bit the case this time.

5. Taking the season as a whole, should this be considered a success for Helsinki?

We really took a step forward. Pearce was an MVP candidate, Booberry continued to be dominant, had scoring throughout the entire lineup, and had one of the best goal differentials in the league. I think it would be hard to replicate the individual success, but there is still a strong group that we can find success with next season. 

6. Any parting thoughts to our teammates who are retiring and leaving us this off-season?

It was a good run and we all appreciate your efforts. Best of luck wherever you end up or with your new players.

Well at least we lost to the eventual Champs! Not much consolation, but let's look on the bright side eh?

Besides benching Voss? No, no other changes would have made a difference.

Do you actually require me to respond to this and not swear like a sailor? He's garbage, just that simple.

See response #1. While it's nice to see the team confident, this season was never destined to be a Helsinki title.

I suppose so. I'm not entirely sure how to view this season. The fans will let us know, I'm sure.

Thank you for your service and I'm sorry that you are not leaving with a title.

Didn't feel great, Bob. Seriously though, I think we were all confident coming into that game, but it was admittedly a let down to not get it done. Time will heal all wounds, but in the moment, it hurt.

I do feel like I let my team down a bit with my own personal play. I'm supposed to be one of the leaders of this team, but especially in the final two games, I was pretty average.

For my first playoff appearance, I guess I shouldn't have expected too much. But frankly, I wanted to be Playoff MVP. It just wasn't meant to be.

More difficult, for sure. A title is always the goal, and knowing that we were close certainly hurts more.

Taking a step back, it probably should. From missing the playoffs to tied for the third-best record in the league, and taking the eventual champs to the brink of elimination, shows that we're a team that's right there.

It was great to have Reinhart and Vat here, and I appreciate all that they did to get us closer. Now in their absence, we just need to take the next steps.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:24 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

1. From the outside looking in, it was painful, but there's always next season, we have a bright future

2. I don't know if there was any one thing that could have been improved, we lost to the eventual Cup champs.

3. Istanbul did win the Renaissance Cup this past year, my first championship ever, which was pretty sweet. Burns was great.

4. I guess a bit of both, of course it feels like we could have gotten there, but Warsaw is a great team and they deserved it.

5. The Titans accomplished a helluva lot last season, of course.

6. As a new player filling some pretty big shoes, it's an honour to be in the same room you were last season.

On 8/21/2022 at 2:24 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

hope you don't mind me jumping in here again ^^''

1. It really sucked, I really thought you guys were gonna do it!

2. While I wasn't playing with you guys I can say hindsight is always 20 20, it's happened and the best you can do is move on forward.

3. Ori finished just under a point per game and had plenty of assists, I'm most happy with it even if in the finals he had a harder time scoring.

4. I think easier? And now that we know they won it all I think it's easier to say "We lost to the best team in the league" and it's not like you guys were a push over either, you gave them all they could handle.

5. As great as it was to see the team finally make the playoffs, I think I have to say no? Since it does feel like more was expected, a cup final run at the very least.

6. To anyone I played with in Helsinki, thank you and I hope to see you on the ice again! For anyone retiring, take it easy!

On 8/8/2022 at 1:46 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

For the week ending 8/14/22:

2. Definitely, work harder in the warm ups and plan for it more, play harder in those games as well.

3. For Ori I don't think it bothers him, he's knows how to throw his weight around but he's not the kind to fight to often or anything

6. Vancouver perhaps? Any Canadian team cause you know their gonna be super loud!