Helsinki Titans Press Conference

Quik

For the week ending 9/18/22:

1. Well, that probably wasn't the offseason Helsinki fans were looking for. What do you think went wrong?

2. Anything you would have done differently in team construction, given the constraints?

3. Despite that though, Helsinki's gotten off to a quick start. How do you think that's happened?

4. What's your personal goal for your player this season?

5. What should be the goal for the Titans? Is playoffs realistic?

6. Who's your beginning-of-season championship prediction?

1. Well, that probably wasn't the offseason Helsinki fans were looking for. What do you think went wrong?

It is what it is. We’re playing well now even with all the players leaving. I hope they all find success with whichever teams they went to. Hopefully we can keep the wind coming. 

2. Anything you would have done differently in team construction, given the constraints?

I’m fine with it the way it is. On paper it might be rough, but we have great players at every position to help us remain competitive. 

3. Despite that though, Helsinki's gotten off to a quick start. How do you think that's happened?

There is production throughout the lineup and Booberry is carrying. 

4. What's your personal goal for your player this season?

Right now I’m on pace for 50 goals and 100 points, but 40 goals and 85-95 points would be great. I hope FLMAN becomes a top winger in the league. 

5. What should be the goal for the Titans? Is playoffs realistic?

I don’t think we make the playoffs, but this is the VHL and quite literally anything can happen. 

6. Who's your beginning-of-season championship prediction?

DC vs Warsaw. I’ll go with DC winning the cup. 

For the week ending 9/25/22:

1. The Titans are right at the edge of playoff contention right now. Do you think we will be able to stay there?

2. What's been the biggest surprise of the VHL season so far for you?

3. There's been a lot of roster change, but that also means some new teammates. How have you been getting to know them in the locker room?

4. Finnish can be tough to learn for some of our players. Do you speak another language outside of English, and if so, how did you learn it?

5. With fall here in the Northern Hemisphere, what are you most looking forward to over the next couple of months?

6. What's your favorite season in general?

1. The Titans are right at the edge of playoff contention right now. Do you think we will be able to stay there?

We’re not consistent enough and constantly getting dominated in most games regardless of the score. It’s not looking very likely we stay in our current spot the way we’re trending. 

2. What's been the biggest surprise of the VHL season so far for you?

I thought it was going to be a tough season, not only as a team but individual success might not be that great. Our top players have been producing along with a lot of depth scoring. Booberry has been the reason we remain in the picture. Probably the best goalie in the league and I hope CIA gets every possible award. 

3. There's been a lot of roster change, but that also means some new teammates. How have you been getting to know them in the locker room?

Honestly haven’t spoken to them much. It’s pretty empty in the LR, but that’s to be expected. 

4. Finnish can be tough to learn for some of our players. Do you speak another language outside of English, and if so, how did you learn it?

I can speak very little Spanish. Learned it in school, but forgot most of it. 

5. With fall here in the Northern Hemisphere, what are you most looking forward to over the next couple of months?

I can’t wait for Halloween. My extended family gets together for dinner and it’s a lot of fun. 

6. What's your favorite season in general?
I don’t mind the cold, but I definitely prefer being warm. I’m gonna go with Summer. 

For the week ending 10/2/22:

1. We're at the halfway point of the season! What's been the biggest VHL surprise to you so far?

2. Have the Titans lived up to your preseason expectations so far?

3. In keeping with the Theme Week, what makes a good GM to you?

4. Who's your favorite VHLM/VHLE/VHL GM you've played for and why?

5. It's starting to get cold in Helsinki, what piece of winter gear do you still need?

6. Have any special plans for the first day of snow?

On 9/26/2022 at 4:46 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

1. We're at the halfway point of the season! What's been the biggest VHL surprise to you so far?

5. It's starting to get cold in Helsinki, what piece of winter gear do you still need?

1. Davos in a playoff spot tbh

2. That's a tough question. Obviously we're a rebuilding team, and although we looked great early on, we're a young team and it shows.

3. Someone enthusiastic and competent

4. Big spart hedge and kaleeb, they're all great guys

5. I'm gonna add crampon spikes to my tires (no sliding on the road for me)

6. Ambush children on their way to school (with snowballs)

On 9/26/2022 at 1:46 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

1. The rough start for the Wolves, it was the Wolves right? I've forgotten but know some team had a rough start.

2. Keeps a good atmosphere in the locker room, is active and treats every player fairly.

3. Rayzor, just for being such a nice and friendly guy, not to mention bringing me into a team for my first full season and was winning the cup!

LA is a lot better than I had anticipated. Really impressive season so far.

We're staying somewhat competitive with mid-low level teams, but getting smoked by good teams. So kinda what I expected. 

Winning is important, but keeping your LR lively is probably the most important. Gotta make it fun to be on the team otherwise it'll just be a boring experience.

Thad was great in the VHLE with Stockholm. Always checking on and looking for ways to get players more involved. Playing for Bana's Bears was awesome. He keeps the team competitive which means players will frequently come and go. It was awesome to meet all of the different people. All of the cups were a bonus.

I have a box of swimsuits on the way as we speak. 

Sneaking out to go snowboarding in my brand new swimsuits. It's gonna be a blast. 

• 1 month later...

Week Ending 11/13

1. The draft is now behind us. If you are a new draftee how are you feeling about becoming part of the Helsinki organization? If you were already on the team how do you feel the draft went?

2. What have you been focusing on this offseason to try to improve your player going forward?

3. What is a personal goal you have for this season?

4. What is a goal you have for the entire team this season?

5.  With whom and where have you been training this offseason?

6. Your have Aux for the first game of the season, What are you playing?

On 11/8/2022 at 5:52 AM, samx said:

Week Ending 11/13

1. The draft is now behind us. If you are a new draftee how are you feeling about becoming part of the Helsinki organization? If you were already on the team how do you feel the draft went?

2. What have you been focusing on this offseason to try to improve your player going forward?

1. I feel very excited!! I am starting this journey with my partner in crime daryl dixon! It’s nice to be wanted and Helsinki went all out. 

2. Consistency! Got to bring it every single night! Need to be a leader on the ice and lead by example.

3. Dixon and Grimes will be in the E this season and I personally would like to be a strong contributor on our team and help lead them to a championship!

4. see answer 3! I think our team positioned to compete and go far in the playoffs! I think anything less is a disappointment! 

5. Daryl and Grimes are back in Alexandria training hard this off season!! The time is now💪🏻

6. Action Packed by Ronnie Dee

Week ending 11/20

1. The season is off and running. Who do you think will have the most points this season on Helsinki? In the league?

2.  What is it like stepping out in front of the home crow for the first time this season?

3. What team are you most excited to play this season? Who are we claiming as our rival?

4.  What is your favorite type of off ice training (i.e weights, CrossFit, running etc.)

5. What do you miss the most from home on a long road trip?

6. Our team seems to have an obsession with bananas. How do you feel about bananas

On 11/8/2022 at 7:52 AM, samx said:

Week Ending 11/13

1. While I was drafted by Malmo, being sent here means I have something to prove to the VHL that I have what it takes.

2. Offensive stats, mainly. Also stick handling.

3. Rookie of the Year. Although through 3 games it's looking a little rough.

4. Make the playoffs. If not, try and obtain as many picks as possible to build a strong team.

5. Juan Ceson in Las Vegas

6. Definitely Rich Flex by Drake and 21 Savage

Spoiler

21, can you do sum for me? 😏

Week ending 11/27

1. We are about 15 games into the season. How do you feel about the team performance so far? What has surprised you?

2. Which prospect are you most excited to see how they preform this season?

3. You would rather be a star power player person or star penalty killer? Why?

4. If you could rebrand one team in the league what one would it be? what would you rebrand them to?

5. What former vhl player is your inspiration? Do you think you will be better than them by the end of your career?

6. What is your pregame ritual?

On 11/22/2022 at 9:56 AM, samx said:

Week ending 11/27

1. We are about 15 games into the season. How do you feel about the team performance so far? What has surprised you?

2. Which prospect are you most excited to see how they preform this season?

3. You would rather be a star power player person or star penalty killer? Why?

4. If you could rebrand one team in the league what one would it be? what would you rebrand them to?

5. What former vhl player is your inspiration? Do you think you will be better than them by the end of your career?

6. What is your pregame ritual?

1. It’s been what I expected so far! Team trying to find chemistry and consistency! It may take awhile but it will come tomororw! 

2. Daryl Dixon

3. I mean goals are always more fun, but I can say there is a feeling that is unmatched when the other team hates when you’re on the ice and your team respects how responsible and strong you are in the defensive zone! 

4. Seattle Bears to Vancity Trash Pandas!

5. Nathan Perry, he’s in my head everyday leading me forward, I believe Rick grimes will have a better career.

6. Eat three poutines, have a nap, kill a couple walkers and then prank Daryl. 

Week ending 12/4

1.  If you had to pick one skill to be auto maxed what skill would it be? Why?

2.  We are rapidly closing in on halfway through the season. How has Helsinkis play met your expectations?

3. Who has been a surprising standout player for Helsinki this season? What surprises you most?

4. Do you think it's better to play a offensively minded game or anymore defensively minded game?

5.  What is your favorite off ice training to do? (ex. running, weights etc)

6. It's the year 2065 do you think refs have been replaced by robots yet? Would you like them to be replaced by robots?

On 11/29/2022 at 8:42 PM, samx said:

Week ending 12/4

2.  We are rapidly closing in on halfway through the season. How has Helsinkis play met your expectations?

3. Who has been a surprising standout player for Helsinki this season? What surprises you most?

4. Do you think it's better to play a offensively minded game or anymore defensively minded game?

6. It's the year 2065 do you think refs have been replaced by robots yet? Would you like them to be replaced by robots?

1) Offensive Vision, I feel like I could be a great presence on the blue line while on offense.

2) While we've struggled, I understand that we are currently rebuilding so there's not too much disappointment.

3) Tater Tottingham, seems to be pulling his weight as a Defenseman, let alone a rookie.

4) It depends on what the team needs and what position you play. I would rather have an offensive minded forward and defensive minded defenseman.

5) In real life, weightlifting

6) No, computers aren't completely reliable.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:42 PM, samx said:

Week ending 12/4

1. Passing, just the kind of build and focus I like, pass first!!

2. Not on the team and it's deeper into the season now sooo... all I can say is it's looking rough.

3. Been very busy this season and haven't been looking around plus not on the team, I'll say Ed Nu.

4. Defensively is probably better all but offensively is fun.

5. Video games of course!!

6. Gonna say let's stick with humans and just have super fast replays that they can check, that should be possible in 2065 no?

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for slacking on PCs

1. Well Helsinki did not make the playoffs this season. Does that surprise you? What do we need to do to be better next season?

2. With the talent we have coming up next season how do you expect we will do?

3. Who will be in the cup finals? Who wins? In how many games?

4. Today was locker room clean out did you find anything strange in there that you forgot about?

5. How hard do you think you could shoot a puck? If you had to pick someone else in the league who you knew you could be who would it be?

6.  What is your life motto?

5 hours ago, samx said:

1. Well Helsinki did not make the playoffs this season. Does that surprise you? What do we need to do to be better next season?

4. Today was locker room clean out did you find anything strange in there that you forgot about?

5. How hard do you think you could shoot a puck? If you had to pick someone else in the league who you knew you could be who would it be?

1. I need to score min. 100 points and maybe have some depth ;), but I think the problem will get better with our rookies/prospects
2. lower playoff spot

3. Vancouver vs. Moscow (Vancouver in 6)

4. My old pucks from my first hatty

5. around 69 km/h

6. I wish I was a duck, no school no work, just quack quack

Edited by Ente2997
spelling mistake

On 12/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, samx said:

bring up the prospects and hope fire catches 😉 

i got a feeling we will surpass league wide expectations 

Calgary.  And they win in 7 games 

i havent received one yet butvi hope to get a corner one 

i can shoot an orange ball 80mph in real life.  Got clocked at a sports hof museum. 

On 12/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, samx said:

live for today, not tomorrow 

On 12/22/2022 at 9:32 AM, samx said:

1. Not really, the team is rebuilding correct? I imagine they'll need to be improvements all around to get back in next season.

2. Better but probably still a little outside of playoffs?

3. Enjoy it every step of the way.

Hello Welcome back to Sam asks you questions

1. We are down to the final 4. do any of the teams left come as a surprise to you? if so who and how come?

2.  What is your players hometown like? What is there To-do?

3. Would you rather do a 3 mile run or 20 minutes of sprints on ice? 

4. Whose area do you like visiting the most? What makes it so special?

5. Where can we find you on a day off? 

6. It's the holiday season, what is your guilty food pleasure?

16 hours ago, samx said:

1. We are down to the final 4. do any of the teams left come as a surprise to you? if so who and how come?

1. This is actually who I had predicted in the final four! Probably mostly luck! But all 4 remaining teams are good and deserve to be here!

2. Kings County is small! Not much to do there! Couple local bars with karaoke on Thursday! Other then that pretty low key town! Lots of drinking and hunting.

3. I think both are fairly similar! I’ll do the 3 mile run! Then the sprints 

4. WHOSE area? Daryl’s room for reasons unknown. 

5. Feet up! Hanging with Michonne for about an hour then doing some task! I can’t sit for too long. 

6. I mean stuffing and pumpkin pie are top notch every year! Not really guilty pleasures so I’ll say Turkish delight! 

On 12/29/2022 at 9:51 PM, samx said:

1. I mean the obvious choice is Davos right? I guess you can say Wolves since they both have 88 points, regardless I'm going with Davos since it feels like they haven't done anything in the playoffs in bloody ages.

2. Small, about 2000 people live there, chainsaw carvings.

3. 20 minutes of running on ice, I can do it, and I'll take a few falls no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Offseason is coming into full swing. What is your favorite off-season event? (drafts, FA etc) why?

2.  If you could compare yourself to an NHL player who would it be and why?

3.  What skill is underrated to make your player better?

4. What number do you want to be for the upcoming season? Any specific reason why?

5. What is your goal for next season?

6. What sport do you most enjoy watching?