Helsinki Titans Press Conference

Quik

On 12/17/2021 at 6:50 PM, Mr_Hatter said:

Presser for 12/19

1) Yes or No: do marshmallows belong in a fruit salad?

2) What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to your teammates? 

3) Do you have any holiday plans coming up? 

4) Have you been signing up for the VHL 12 Days of Christmas events?

5) Do you think there are any potential point tasks that we could be doing instead of Media Spots, Graphics, or Podcasts? Or does that cover pretty much everything? 

6) What do you think the best indicator of a Two Way Forward's performance is?

1. No, not a fruit

2. leaving water bottles everywhere after the game

3. not to much, just got back home so it's nice to see everyone

4. 100%!!!

5. It would be cool to see more videos but I think it's just too much time for the reward you get

6. Honestly, probably a combination of hits, shots blocked, points, and +/- relative to the teams

Answering for the following week:

1) Yes or No: do marshmallows belong in a fruit salad?

It's not my preference, but I can see it. It's all sweet stuff, and if that's what you're in the mood for, why not add more?

2) What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to your teammates? 

I like to get in the zone before games, and sometimes that means taking some time by myself. If you're interrupting my routine, you're not helping anybody.

3) Do you have any holiday plans coming up? 

I did! Spent some time with family, and also some time inside as the snow comes down. Everybody needs some chill time at the end of the year.

4) Have you been signing up for the VHL 12 Days of Christmas events?

Of course, it's easy. Hope that it all turns out ok with me winning something!

5) Do you think there are any potential point tasks that we could be doing instead of Media Spots, Graphics, or Podcasts? Or does that cover pretty much everything? 

I'm for experimentation with other things that may work, but they need to be balanced in accordance with those three. If it's too much work for 6 TPE - or if it's significantly less work - then it's not going to be feasible.

6) What do you think the best indicator of a Two Way Forward's performance is?

I don't have all the answers, but I do think that hits are being way too devalued around here recently. There's tangible value in having a forward who can be physical, harass the other team and get the puck back.

Presser for 1/2

1) Happy New Year! What did you do to bring 2021 to an end?

2) What is your favorite holiday? 

3) Do you have any new year's resolutions? 

4) What is your go-to fashion statement?

5) What is your least favorite boy band? 

6) Is hockey your first priority? If not, what is? 

10 hours ago, Mr_Hatter said:

Presser for 1/2

1. Watch the newest James Bond movie and play games with friends till the calendar turned over.

2. My birthday? I don't celebrate Halloween and Christmas and all the other stuff.

3. NOPE!! Just keep being me.

4. Cargo pants, t-shirt, I like baggy stuff.

5. I don't have one because I don't listen to any XD

6. Probably video games XD Not that it should be though.

Had a few friends over, drank and played some board games. I can officially say I ended 2021 and began 2022 by winning Catan, which is cool.

It's random, but my birthday, my anniversary and Mother's Day all happen to be the same week. So it's a nice week of celebration for me.

Not really, just to take care of myself. Especially in the midst of pandemic things, think that's the most important.

I'm bad at fashion. Does just flannel shirts in the upper midwest really count as fashion? If so, that.

Honestly, don't really have a least favorite. I'm trying to do better on not hating on things that others like just because. But I'll say, never really enjoyed any One Direction.

Played basketball all throughout childhood, still probably my favorite sport. Though I've done a bunch with racing too and that's the one where I have the most friends.

1) Happy New Year! What did you do to bring 2021 to an end?

it was a quiet night of video gaming so nothing special

my favorite holiday is probably christmas but I also enjoy halloween

going to try to bike more in the summertime

i dont think I have one if I am being honest. Good question anyways.

I dont think I like any of them. The newer they are the worse they have gotten.

Working and trying to have fun during my own time

Presser for 1/9

1) Do you do any celebrity impressions? If so, what is your best/favorite?

2) What season of the year do you care about the least? Positively or negatively.

3) What is your favorite type of fruit?

4) What is your favorite hockey uniform?

5) What is more impressive, scoring the game winner, or a short handed goal?

6) Do you think it's weird to have a game with three periods, or is that just normal for you?

7) What is your opinion on fighting in hockey?

1. I don't do impressions. I barely do accents

2. Late February is cold and dull. Early August is too hot

3. Dragon fruit is so refreshing.

4. The Batman Nailers one my brother got me.

5. Scoring a game winner short handed is most impressive.

6. A little. You get used to it.

7. Giving the players a voice on what is and is not ok is important to the game.

2) What season of the year do you care about the least? Positively or negatively.

Spring is always just kind of "there" for me, especially March and April. May starts to pick things up, but it's just extended winter until then.

I'm a big strawberry guy. Fresh strawberries really brighten things up, and love the flavor as well.

I'm a fan of the classics, and the Red Wings one is so clean to me. Plus, a red color scheme isn't too common.

The game winner is usually purposeful and has a lot of pressure, shorthanded almost seems like an accident sometimes.

6) Do you think it's weird to have a game with three periods, or is that just normal for you?

It's still an hour long, I think the time makes a lot of sense. Whether you split it as 20 minute periods or 15 minute quarters, doesn't matter much to me.

I actually don't have a particularly strong position on it? It's not something I particularly look forward to, but thing it's an interesting quirk that makes hockey unique as long as it doesn't go too far.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, Mr_Hatter said:

Presser for 1/9

1) Do you do any celebrity impressions? If so, what is your best/favorite?

1. I don't sadly ^^''

2. Summer, I don't like the heat.

3. Apples.

4. Like jersey and such? The sharks obviously XD

5. Short handed imo.

6. Normal, I think it makes sense.

7. I like it, Stu Grimson was a beast.

1) Do you do any celebrity impressions? If so, what is your best/favorite?

I am not able to do any. If you want to heat a terrible arnold hit me up.

Winter is just far too long. Give me my warm weather back!

Pears are underrated. Pineapple is also very good.

Seattle’s colors are nice. Favourite logos would be the original 6 teams and maybe the Wild as well.

Game winner means more to the team and the standings.

Grew up around hockey so it is very normal to me.

it had a place in the sport and there are many fans who like to see them.

• 3 weeks later...

something something sorry it's been like a month something something

ANYWAY back to pressers!

Presser for week ending on 2/6

1) With a big trade to finish off off the offseason, we look to secure a big player in @Spartan moving forward. Thoughts on the move?

2) The season has started now, what are your predictions for where we will finish? 

3) VSN has us at 5th in Europe, do you think that is a fair assessment by our own @Alex?

4) As a player, what is your personal goal for this season?

5) Speaking of the season starting, we haven't gotten off to the best start. Why is it just a temporary setback, or should we be more concerned?

6) Is a hot dog a sandwich? There is only one right answer.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Hatter said:

something something sorry it's been like a month something something

ANYWAY back to pressers!

Presser for week ending on 2/6

1) With a big trade to finish off off the offseason, we look to secure a big player in @Spartan moving forward. Thoughts on the move?

2) The season has started now, what are your predictions for where we will finish? 

3) VSN has us at 5th in Europe, do you think that is a fair assessment by our own @Alex?

5) Speaking of the season starting, we haven't gotten off to the best start. Why is it just a temporary setback, or should we be more concerned?

1. I'm pretty excited to be here, it's a young group of players unlike Moscow which was pretty much on the older side and filled with veterans :P. But I think the team here has a lot of potential and some really good prospects on the way up, should be one of the premier teams in the EU within a season or two as all the other teams in the conference are losing their top players to retirement.

2. I think the goal is always to finish with at least a playoff berth, which is what we will be aiming for. We haven't had the best puck luck recently, and we're still building chemistry with a new roster, especially with a big change right before the season started.

3. I would never think being classified as 5th in a conference is "fair" but it's good motivation to go and outperform expectations.

4. I'd just like to develop some good chemistry with Ori and Johnston, @ROOKIE745 and @Alex, as I think we could be one of the best lines in the league.

5. As mentioned earlier, I think we just need to develop some more chemistry and work together to all get on the same page. We're just a handful of games into the season, it's way too early to be in panic mode.

6. I mean, if you took a loaf of bread and only cut it 90% through, you'd have a sub instead of a sandwich. Hot dogs are the same, no?

7 hours ago, Spartan said:

1. I'm pretty excited to be here, it's a young group of players unlike Moscow which was pretty much on the older side and filled with veterans :P. But I think the team here has a lot of potential and some really good prospects on the way up, should be one of the premier teams in the EU within a season or two as all the other teams in the conference are losing their top players to retirement.

2. I think the goal is always to finish with at least a playoff berth, which is what we will be aiming for. We haven't had the best puck luck recently, and we're still building chemistry with a new roster, especially with a big change right before the season started.

3. I would never think being classified as 5th in a conference is "fair" but it's good motivation to go and outperform expectations.

4. I'd just like to develop some good chemistry with Ori and Johnston, @ROOKIE745 and @Alex, as I think we could be one of the best lines in the league.

5. As mentioned earlier, I think we just need to develop some more chemistry and work together to all get on the same page. We're just a handful of games into the season, it's way too early to be in panic mode.

6. I mean, if you took a loaf of bread and only cut it 90% through, you'd have a sub instead of a sandwich. Hot dogs are the same, no?

👏SUBS👏ARE 👏SANDWICHES👏

1) I think it's a great move.  We have a great group of young players and he can help win some games this year and many more to come. 

2) I think we will be fighting all season for that last playoff spot and I feel like we can pull it off.  We will get better as the season rolls on.

3) it seems pretty accurate as we will be a developing team that but I still think we can do better. We are sitting near there now.

4) I would like to improve on least seasons production so 20 goals would be nice, have 5 so far so that seems a realistic target plus 50 assists.

5) it's a temporary setback, we have a young team and we are learning to play with each other 

6)Yes for sure as there is bread on two sides of the dog.  What's not a sandwich is an open faced sandwich.

1) I think it's a great acquisition. We only gave up prospects, no draft picks or VHL players, and we gain a young player who's already in the league. Plus he's been a good presence for the locker room.

2) I think we're kind of on the bubble as far as playoffs. My prediction is that we'll probably be the four seed in the EU. We've got some higher-end talent in Booberry, Ori, and Johnston, so we could make some kind of a push for the playoffs, but our defense is a little weak and we don't quite have some of the depth to match other teams. We're young though, so that'll come with time.

3) I think that's fair. I'm slightly more bullish on our chances but considering we're dead last in the conference at this point I could be overestimating us. We only have a few people meta-building anyways.

4) Do well in the VHLE, maybe win a cup. Would be cool to be the top defenseman in the league, or at least be up there in scoring.

5) It's a combination of things, I'd say. I've mentioned it before, but just based on a cursory glance we don't have as many meta builds as the other teams in our conference. But at the same time, I think the EU is tougher than NA this season. We're clearly better than DC, New York, or Chicago (sorry Jeff) this season. And we've only played one of those teams once. Plus there are a couple teams that I think will drop down the standings in due time.

6) You know people argue about this all the time but I've never really thought about it that much. It's just a hot dog. If we're doing things literally, then yeah I can understand why it'd be a sandwich. But human knowledge isn't purely literal, is it? How similar is the way we would think of a hot dog to the way we would consider, say, and peanut butter and jelly sandwich? What about a sub? Epistemologically, how much leeway is there within our own definition of a "sandwich"? Is it simply that each person has their own intuitive definition of what a "sandwich" is, and therefore trying to strictly categorize whether or not a hot dog fits into this definition is a fool's errand because truth is not, ultimately, as objective as we wish it was? Are these just a bunch of pointless questions that I’ve written to make myself sound smarter and feel better about my liberal arts degree? I don’t know.

Edited by solas

1) With a big trade to finish off off the offseason, we look to secure a big player in @Spartan moving forward. Thoughts on the move?

Definitely think it was a good move. We needed more forward talent, not just for this season but into the future when we're competing for championships. Happy to have him!

I think (hope?) we're in the playoffs, though I think in that wild card game is more likely. I'll say we finish fourth, because I think we'll get better as the season goes on.

Definitely think it's fair, especially for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in many seasons. Here's to hoping we take the leap!

I just want to be competitive. My success is the team's success, so if we make the playoffs, that's a good season for me personally as well.

Temporary setback and small sample sizes. Even from the time this question was written, we're back in the mix. I think things will all shake out.

Nah. Not everything with bread has to be a sandwich, it can be its own thing. Just let hot dogs be free and live their lives, man.

Presser for 2/13

1) How do you feel about our stsrt to the season thus far?

2) Do you enjoy Valentine's Day? Have any fun plans?

3) What is your favorite VHL memory?

4) Would you rather have a 75% faceoff record or lead the league in hits (if you were a center)

5) What is your favorite icebreaker when meeting someone for the first time?

6) What is your ideal real world first line?

Hard to be too upset with it. I mean, obviously it's not ideal but we're still young as a team and EU is tougher than NA this season. Warsaw/Moscow/Helsinki is still pretty close, anyways. (Plus the team's gonna be better when I make it up to the league ;))

It's alright. No strong feelings about it either way but I like chocolate so that part is cool. And no, I sadly do not have plans.

Oooooh man that's a tough one. I have fond memories from my time here - winning my first cup with Calgary in S30 (that was a fun team), my brief time with Vasteras in the 30s, the "dead era" of the 50s that was actually kinda fun, or any of the dumb bullshit drama threads that have happened across my ten years here. But I'd probably go with my most recent cup, winning in S76 with Chicago. Getting drafted by the Phoenix and getting to know everyone in that locker room was seriously fun, and that time period was seriously great on Discord and the forums.

4) Would you rather have a 75% faceoff record or lead the league in hits (if you were a center)

Faceoff record for sure. Hits are fun to look at, but imo they can harm the team a lot because they often correlate with a lot of PIMs. High faceoff percentage helps the team a lot more.

Honestly I hate icebreakers. Maybe that's why I'm bad at meeting people lol.

I'm gonna be honest with you, I had like three different joke answers to this and then got rid of them because they weren't funny. So uhhhhhh... Ovechkin-McDavid-Kucherov? I don't know. I don't know hockey. I just googled the best forwards in the NHL and recognized those names. Sorry.

A slightly disappointed at the moment.  We are a young growing team and we are just a few points back if where I hope we get to.  As long as we stay in the hunt until the end it's a decent season.

Nope and my wife hates it which is great so no gifts.  No plans maybe we'd order dinner but not this year with superbowl leftovers plus at my in-laws while renos to our house, hopefully a free weeks away.

Winning my first cup with Seattle with uhtred as my first player didn't win anything.  Winning the third in his final season was a close second 

Lead the league in faceoffs for sure.  Leave the hits to wingers and d.

I am pretty shy so don't really have one.

I will go with current players 

Ovechkin-Crosby-kucherov.  McDavid is a great player but think sid better two way player.

1) How do you feel about our start to the season thus far?

Wish it was a bit better, but I do acknowledge that we're still growing as a team. We're young, there's bound to be hiccups on the way.

I do! Having it be on a Monday with two working partners limits our options a bit, but we did exchange gifts and go to a local BBQ restaurant we both like. We made it fun.

An old school one, and perhaps obscure, but the Season 44 NA Conference finals between Calgary and Quebec. Two teams that truly did not like each other, and seeing the brash favorites fall was fun as someone on the Wranglers.

The meta would say faceoff record by a longshot, but I still enjoy my hits. I just think creating a two way player is more fun.

"Where are you from?" I like knowing things about different locations and geographies, and people generally like talking about their hometowns or where they're at.

Assuming hockey first line? Just three playmakers, let's pass the puck around for 80% possession, baby.

Edited by CowboyinAmerica

• 2 weeks later...

Presser for 2/27

1) We are sitting 6 points back off a playoff spot with around 20 games to go. What do you think our chances are of getting there?

2) Do you think we have been playing to our potential? 

3) What position would you like to strengthen this offseason?

4) What Helsinki prospect are you most excited about joining the team?

5) What is your favorite media franchise? (Book, movie, whatever)

6) In your opinion, what is the worst stat in STHS?

1) We are sitting 6 points back off a playoff spot with around 20 games to go. What do you think our chances are of getting there?

I don't think it's very good, maybe 20% chance but time to fight until the end.

No, I think we could play a bit better and be closer to that playoff spot but we are 

Defense we are weak there surprised I'm the top dman on the team.  There a big drop off from our top pairing.

Milan Dvorak as we desperately need d. Groves is the best player at the moment but d is a bigger need so excited to see him join.

The Saxon stories book series or also the last kingdom which is the Netflix show based on the books.  Although apparently the author has changed books to last kingdom series now because of the show

Penalty minutes, they way it works makes no sense.  Just because you hit doesn't mean you should get more hooking and tripping calls.

A little bit later than when this was written, I think we're pretty out of the playoff race at this point. But that's OK, we hung tough with a young roster.

I think a bit under, but we were pretty stratified between really older players and young stars. It does sting a bit to see London doing so well though.

The meta position Especially with Johnston gone, another top-flight wing would be great. I think we have the ammo to get it too.

I'm really excited to see what Groves brings. He's been tearing it up two seasons for Bratislava in the E, and might just be that exact forward we need.

Possibly because I've been gearing up for the new season next week with podcasts, but always been into Survivor. Watched every season, both the strategy and people elements really get me.

Scoring. Fuck your meta builds, give me checking and fights.