Helsinki Titans Press Conference

Quik

Presser for 3/6

1) What are your thoughts on the new attribute updates intended to fix the "meta" problem?

2) Do you know what you want to do with your build now?

3) Who do you think is going to win the Continental Cup this season?

4) As a VHL player, do you follow the VHLM or VHLE?

5) What do you think the hardest job in the league is?

6) Tell me what your first impressions of the league were when you first joined?

1) What are your thoughts on the new attribute updates intended to fix the "meta" problem?

I think it's interesting. I don't want to say I love it right away, because I don't know how it's going to work out - I remember being really positive about the VHLE at first and now I'm just kinda lukewarm on it. But I think it's really interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out. I assume it's been test-simmed so the league isn't going to completely blow up next season lmao.

I have some ideas but not any really specific ones. I was kinda moving away from meta-building this season (was having fun putting TPE into leadership), so idk what my approach will be this time around. I think I'm still gonna try to find a few attributes that would be the most helpful for a defenseman like Dvorak

Vancouver. One last cup for the road before the meta is nerfed.

Technically I'm in the VHLE now and I still don't really follow either. I mean, that's partially down to my semi-activity but I personally just don't have any interest in them. Not a slight on either, those leagues are built for newer members and not me.

The moderator jobs seem pretty difficult to me. Probably wouldn't be fun to have to keep track of Discord like that. Also I've always felt the VHLM Commish jobs were a little bit more complicated than they might appear because you have to 1) deal with high turnover in the GM jobs and 2) keep retention and the experience for new members as your main goal, rather than just competitiveness and enjoyment for everyone. Simmer was also up there but with the portal and things being automated my belief is that it's much easier (I could be wrong though). Of course there's also the main commish jobs but I feel that's a bit more obvious. 

6) Tell me what your first impressions of the league were when you first joined?

I was new to sim leagues, so it all seemed very big and exciting to me. This wasn't my first sim league, though, so I already had an idea of how the leagues worked. But I was new to the weekly PT format so for a while I'd do both a graphic and a media spot every week without realizing I was only allowed to do one. I also remember thinking the graphics people here were so incredible and I didn't understand how they were so good at making sigs.

Edited by solas

I'm excited to see how they work in practice, but really I'm just glad the league was proactive in trying to fix things. It could have been a "that's your problem" sort of mindset quite easily.

I'm a goalie so not too much of a change, but I'm definitely thinking about whether I want to add Penalty Shot now...

I had Vancouver as my pick for the threepeat before the season, don't see any reason to change now. They'll be extra motivated because of the meta changes too.

I actually really like that VHL players can contribute to VHLM/VHLE Fantasy for this exact reason - it gives me a reason to get an update on the lower leagues each week and see what's happening.

I could never be on top of new players and guiding players through like VHLM GMs are. It's not mentally demanding per se, but it's a time commitment I just couldn't do.

I was really happy to go to a league with a lot of history and that wouldn't be in imminent danger of shutting down, at least I hoped. This was in Season 31.

Presser for 3/13

1) Now that the season is over for us, how did it fit your expectations going in?

2) Are you expecting any big Free Agency movement this offseason?

3) Do you think its easier to build teams in the draft or via Free Agency?

4) What is your favorite kind of bread?

5) Do you like to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

6) Do you prefer to make your own sigs, or have others make them for you?

1) Now that the season is over for us, how did it fit your expectations going in?

A little under expectations unfortunately, but it was a tough European conference. Still, this wasn't the season we were building for, and need to recognize that.

2) Are you expecting any big Free Agency movement this offseason?

Oh yeah, between a lot of retirements and the new attributes putting everything into flux, I'm expecting a lot of movement overall. Excited to see where it lands people.

3) Do you think its easier to build teams in the draft or via Free Agency?

Easier? I suppose free agency, where a few players can change a franchise. But building through the draft is more sustainable and would be the way I like to go.

4) What is your favorite kind of bread?

I'm a big italian bread guy, give me something with a hard crust. Also a big fan of kaiser rolls for sandwiches.

5) Do you like to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

I'll have some Jameson or something, or maybe a Shamrock shake from McDonald's. But it's not really something I've ever gone all out for.

6) Do you prefer to make your own sigs, or have others make them for you?

Lol, I'm going to guess you've never seen a sig I've tried to make. And you never will. I'll stick with my writing tasks and let others make them for me, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Tell me one good reason why Erlantz Jokinen should pass the puck to you?

2. I just blocked a shot and I'm taking my time getting to the bench,  am I faking it or am I really hurt?

3. Who is going to score the most goals for Helsinki next season?

4. Who is the toughest and meanest player in the Titans roster?

5. I want to score a goal against Booberry in the practice, what is his weakness?

6. If you would have to select a goal song for your player - what would you pick?

A Florida Man doesn't ask for the puck he demands it.

2. I just blocked a shot and I'm taking my time getting to the bench, am I faking it or am I really hurt?

I say half faking it, half feeling it.

With the new attributes I'm not sure how it will play out. Maybe Ori or Pearce.

Probably Nano. Tons of hits and PIMs.

5. I want to score a goal against Booberry in the practice, what is his weakness?

No clue since I'm new here. Nothing against Booberry, but my shot is wicked. Expect most to go in regardless of where I shoot. 👀

6. If you would have to select a goal song for your player - what would you pick?

Gotta go with police sirens. They fuel me to focus in on the most crucial aspects of being a Florida Man. Living on the run and never giving up.

Tell me one good reason why Erlantz Jokinen should pass the puck to you?

Because I am newly traded here and to be nice to me he should sauce it over to me

2. I just blocked a shot and I'm taking my time getting to the bench, am I faking it or am I really hurt?

Really hurt, you aren't the type to fake stuff like that, besides blocking a shot is awesomesauce

The best player of course

On the outside? Idk, but on the inside everyone is sweet and full of rainbows, I promise

Slapshot in the head then you will surely score one.  But please be kind and blow on vis forehead to so he does not get hurt

Many, because I would not want to hear the same song over and over again every night.

He shouldn't! Go forwards, not backwards dammit!

2. I just blocked a shot and I'm taking my time getting to the bench,  am I faking it or am I really hurt?

100% hurt, but not because you're tough or anything, just because your bones are made of really thin glass so it happens more often.

I'm going to say Nasherov, because the veteran coming in and putting all these young bucks in their place would be fun.

Let's just say that I wouldn't necessarily want to run into Ori in a dark alley. You think he's nice because he's a pass-first player? I see right through that.

I have no weakness. I am the Terminator, Superman and Thor all mixed into one. Shoot on me at your peril.

Well, if I'm scoring a goal then honestly it should be the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme because somebody seriously messed up.

1. Helsinki has the 6th overall pick in the upcoming draft, what position needs new blood the most?

2. Thinking back to your own draft year, would you rather get picked in the top-10 or later?

3. Did any Titans player create a surprising build?

4. Leadership at 1, did Jokinen just earn at least an A to his jersey?

5.  In general, what do you think about the international tournaments in VHL?

6.  Do you let your agent negotiate all your deals, or will you do everything yourself?

7 hours ago, jRuutu said:

1. Helsinki has the 6th overall pick in the upcoming draft, what position needs new blood the most?

2. Thinking back to your own draft year, would you rather get picked in the top-10 or later?

5.  In general, what do you think about the international tournaments in VHL?

6.  Do you let your agent negotiate all your deals, or will you do everything yourself?

1. Honestly I'm not even sure any position needs new blood. We've got some prospects at forward eager to replace the aging Nasherov and Ori, which is crazy to hear. Maybe they'll move the pick for a pick in the future to avoid having too crowded an organization.

2. My draft year was a bit different than most, since I had requested to play for a cup contender. Not many cup contenders picked in the top 10, so I ended up going right at 10 to Moscow. I think the fit was good as we made the finals, but clearly they couldn't afford my demands and moved me here. Their loss I suppose :P 

3. I think Ori's leadership build was surprising, I'm pretty curious to see how it turns out. I think Nezuko brute forced that build as well, but it'll work. Just not very intricate I suppose.

4. Man that's quite the investment. I think he deserves the C really.

5. I think that they're actually the tournaments that the league should pay more attention to, but they've slipped to the side in recent seasons. In theory, they're the best young players and the best players in each region/country competing against each other. It's like an all-star game on steroids.

6. I handle everything myself. I'm the consummate professional.

Helsinki has the 6th overall pick in the upcoming draft, what position needs new blood the most?

I don't think we are in dire need of any certain position, but a top tier prospect never does an organisation wrong

Later, always love to be the underdog.  You have nothing to lose and ha e basically no expectations set on you compared to top 10 picks

I am not too into what builds the gang has set up but I've heard some people have leadership

Would be rigged if Jokinen did not

5. In general, what do you think about the international tournaments in VHL?

Meh.  No one really cares about them, would be great if you got tpe for participating so you get rewarded for participating

6. Do you let your agent negotiate all your deals, or will you do everything yourself?

I do it all myself, because then I am aware of everything that is said while negotiating

I think a quality offensive defenseman would fit perfectly in Helsinki. 

It doesn't really matter to me anymore, which is why I continually try to tank my draft stock these days. 

I'm yet to assess the roster fully and am also struggling to decide on my own build. A Titan may have already created the new meta, but I wouldn't have a clue.

If Jokinen wants a letter and there are no better candidates for it, I won't argue against it.

5.  In general, what do you think about the international tournaments in VHL?

I used to really enjoy them, but lately it's lost a bit of favor with me. I'm not sure why, probably just me to be honest.

6.  Do you let your agent negotiate all your deals, or will you do everything yourself?

I leave it to my agent as I really do try to avoid conflict or tense negotiations. I try not to disappoint anyone so if a 3rd party is involved, I do prefer that.

1. Remy and Nasherov have not yet released their new builds, what are they hiding?

2.  Have you ever bought experience points from the player store?

3.  Frank Funk Jr, our general managers player, joined D.C Dragons, what are your thoughts?

4.  Last year only two teams had over 50 wins, (53 both), do you think Helsinki can get more this year?

5.  How did you spend the 10 TPE you got from training camp?

6.  Do you have a personal rivalry with any player around the league? Tag them, so they can see the following statement: Helsinki is winning the cup this year.

Edited by jRuutu

1. Remy and Nasherov have not yet released their new builds, what are they hiding?

All Fighting, all the time. You can't trust that Remy, he's been an absolute bully from day one.

Yes! And I'm probably the only one that has! I'm still convinced that it does more for overall team winning than most people believe, and it's a relatively cheap attribute to get up to speed quickly (while in the VHLM/VHLE).

3.  Frank Funk Jr, our general managers player, joined D.C Dragons, what are your thoughts?

Who? That old man? Seriously though, I have a soft spot for the Dragons following Flowers' time there and I hope they do well (unless they play Helsinki).

4.  Last year only two teams had over 50 wins, (53 both), do you think Helsinki can get more this year?

Maybe not, but we'll still be in Victory Cup contention IMO. I just think with the move away from the meta, there will be more parity overall and nobody will hit those highs.

It's all going to Leadership to me, bank it. (Actually I'm not joking. I'm updating Leadership to help the team, I'm kind of running out of things to update.)

6.  Do you have a personal rivalry with any player around the league? Tag them, so they can see the following statement: Helsinki is winning the cup this year.

Nope not me. I'm a free spirit man, focus too much on others and you can't grow yourself.

On 4/11/2022 at 5:52 AM, jRuutu said:

1. Perhaps they're looking at what the rest of the team is doing? Or looking at what other players are doing.

2. Nope!!

3. I mean..... I still wanna play there at some point lol

4. Tough call, we should be a lot better but things are gonna be so up in the air with the new system, I think we end around with 45.

5. Used it for faceoffs.

6. I do not sadly this time around, I had two with Hextall but just haven't really met anyone that I'm like: "I wanna be better than them!!"

They figured out the new OP meta build, 99 leadership/99 discipline. Nobody's gonna stop them this season.

2.  Have you ever bought experience points from the player store?

I think once, and that was only because it was my last season and I had money left after buying all the depreciation fighters.

3.  Frank Funk Jr, our general managers player, joined D.C Dragons, what are your thoughts?

I can tell you that Frank Funk Sr. never would've done this to us. At least it's a NA team!

4.  Last year only two teams had over 50 wins, (53 both), do you think Helsinki can get more this year?

Who knows? I don't think we will though. In my opinion, the new build system will make it harder for teams to be completely dominant since there isn't necessarily a prevailing meta for the time being.

5.  How did you spend the 10 TPE you got from training camp?

I mean it kinda fell into the big TPE pile to spend in the offseason, so who knows? I guess since it was one of the last things I earned I think it would've gone into Offensive Vision. 

6.  Do you have a personal rivalry with any player around the league? Tag them, so they can see the following statement: Helsinki is winning the cup this year.

I do not. Also even if I did I probably wouldn't tag them because what if we don't win the cup? That'd just make things worse. That's an unforced error.

1. Pre-season, are you playing as well as you expected?

2. Any thoughts on how Helsinki as a team has been playing in the pre-season games?

3.  Where are you planning on adding TPE during the first few weeks of the season?

4. Ori is the only forward with points in faceoffs, is that going to cause trouble later on?

5.  How happy/confident are you about your award predictions?

6.  We did not have practice on Easter Sunday, how did you spend the day?

Could've been better. Two good games against Riga gives me confidence, but that Moscow game was not pretty.

2. Any thoughts on how Helsinki as a team has been playing in the pre-season games?

Not bad, but I think we have some stuff to figure out with lines. I think we have the talent to be scoring more.

3.  Where are you planning on adding TPE during the first few weeks of the season?

It's Swole Season - time to beef up my size even more to make sure that nothing gets by me.

4. Ori is the only forward with points in faceoffs, is that going to cause trouble later on?

You know, I noticed that but didn't really say anything. It's entirely possible, but everybody kind of wants to do their own thing with builds, so be it.

I honestly didn't put a super ton of thought into them, but I think this season's going to be pretty random with all the new builds anyway so not too concerned.

Stuffing my face, the best way to do any holiday. A local restaurant did take and bake chicken, which is a nice way for a meal without too much prep.

On 4/18/2022 at 6:41 AM, jRuutu said:

1. I think I had a nice preseason, not as spectacular as I'd hoped, but definitely consistent and got some decent points. 

2. We beat some solid teams in the EU but then lost to other competition pretty badly. I think we still need to work on chemistry and all get on the same page.

3. I'll probably be getting my scoring up, maybe skating as well.

4. I'm always a fan of faceoff success, as I feel like it drives possession. Maybe I'll have to work on faceoffs a bit if the team needs it.

5. I'm never confident in them, but maybe something will work out this season.

6. I traveled to New York City with family for a day of tourism, visited Central Park, the zoo there, and then Times Square as well. Good day spent.

On 4/18/2022 at 3:41 AM, jRuutu said:

1. Pre season wise it seemed pretty good, actual start of the season? A little rougher

2. Pretty good although a lose or two that we probably should have won? Or at least I feel that way.

3. A bit more on faceoffs than banking

4. I hope not, although depending on if I'm still here next season or not, someone may have to fill that hole

5. I didn't do them so I don't have any hopes.

6. I was working that night, so sleeping.

1. What is your goal for the week?

2. Do you think its more important to receive individual or team awards?

3. What is your player's number (or the number you usually wear) and how did you choose it?

4. Would you rather wear only white or only black for the rest of your life?

5. What is your favorite meal you ate over the last week?

6. What is your greatest critique about the appearance of your country's currency?

1 hour ago, Mr_Hatter said:

3. What is your player's number (or the number you usually wear) and how did you choose it?

6. What is your greatest critique about the appearance of your country's currency?

1. Same as every week. Improve

2. Even the greatest players can't win team awards alone.

3. The great players that I grew up watching had big numbers. I chose 92 because it is different.

4. I probably be ok with all black.

5. The smoked Ribs we had for Easter were delicious.

6. That is a question I never thought would be asked. No ladies on the currency, I guess.

What is your goal for the week?

To have fun ig, not really anything specific to be honest

You want to say team awards but individual make you way happier

Do not have one, never thought of it like that.  If I get asked for render I just say some random number

Black, fits better to basically any given situation

Tacos? Can never go wrong with tacos

They're meh, not bad in any way but not something you would like to look at for a while

I think about 10 shutouts would suffice. I've got one already this season, what's another 10 more?

It's weird for goalies because I think they're linked - you're not winning a goalie award without a strong team in front of you. But either way, would rather have a title.

The number 80 looks like the start of the word Boo if you squint. I mean, squint hard.

Too much stuff spills on white, and I'm a rather messy eater. Sure, I'll be goth for a long while and be the envy of scene kids everywhere.

Went out with some friends who were in town and had a good breakfast burrito. Really, it's hard to go wrong with burritos at all.

I could answer this question, but man, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, huh? I'm genuinely curious what went through the ole noggin to come up with this as a press conference question.