This league is dead inside

Bushito

So, have you ever met someone on Lithium? Sure they were crazy once and not that fun to be around at times, but now they are dead inside. It's the way I feel about this league these days. Sure Kendrick and Boubai were a hand full, fuck so was I at times. Now we have nothing, there is no rivalry, there's nobody opposing the status quo. Everything here has gone automated and the system fucks up more than the humans running it before did. I know I have graphics in the wrong weeks, missing job pay, I don't even bother caring anymore about updating. I just try to remember what I can when I get around to it. Man, we even do trades on the portal now, Update on the portal so we can't look at someone's updates anymore. There is nothing much personable left on this site. Can't figure out how to do lines on the portal which would be most useful but would likely add work for the simmer. I don't know how the rest of you feel about the state of the league, I know some will like the automation of the league but I'm not one. Some like that the arguing is gone, It may have been out of control at times but I liked bickering with Kendrick, he would get wound up so easily. Oh well maybe the league is better without a personality, we seem to be bringing in new members daily which is great.

Maybe I'm just too old for sim leagues any more, being 40 and owning a house and having kids really doesn't leave as much time for this as I had as a younger man. I can't remember how long I've been in sim leagues but it's going on 15 years or more at least. I love GMing teams and I especially like winning cups with them and I have no plan to leave Calgary any time soon, but I do have a plan. I want to have 2 more sets of players for sure as GM of Calgary and then I will re-assess but I do think I will walk away from sim leagues for good at that point and despite my above rant. It's not really about any of that It's just my time to go, I think, lol.

I definitely have some things I want to accomplish here before I go, Winningest GM in Calgary history, Builder HOF is a goal along with getting one of my players in the HOF, I have a feeling Stopko and Canmore can both make it in with any luck. I would also love to have the career goals, assists, Wins, SV% type team records in Calgary before I go for sure. Not sure what I'll do with my players yet that are on Calgary, we may go for it again next season if things look ok, hard to tell though since I still haven't got my off-season position change done yet and still haven't had my lines applied this season.

• Commissioner
7 hours ago, Bushito said:

Update on the portal so we can't look at someone's updates anymore

Literally everyone has an update log... how do you think we check what you’ve claimed?

i agree with some points but i disagree with others. while automation has it's faults it was adapt or die really. everything is going towards automation in every league really. well in the 2 leagues i was in they loved automation and well its cool but not also i guess but thats because im old and don't like change but we also have to make it easier for kids these days because they love to put in the least amount of effort for the maximum amount of gain. which is a sad reality.

If your old, then I'm the grandfather around here at almost 53.

Change is hard when your set in your ways but I find as I grow older, I have a lot less patience and time. So even though change can be uncomfortable, and you have the " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " attitude, sometimes its for the better. If we didn't have change, we'd still be in the stone ages. ✌

And I agree with the statement that kids know a days want maximum gain for putting in the least amount of effort. The system is part of the problem.

Edited by Exlaxchronicles

8 minutes ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

If your old, then I'm the grandfather around here at almost 53.

Change is hard when your set in your ways but I find as I grow older, I have a lot less patience and time. So even though change can be uncomfortable, and you have the " If it ain't broke, don't fix it " attitude, sometimes its for the better. If we didn't have change, we'd still be in the stone ages. ✌

24 minutes ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

i agree with some points but i disagree with others. while automation has it's faults it was adapt or die really. everything is going towards automation in every league really. well in the 2 leagues i was in they loved automation and well its cool but not also i guess but thats because im old and don't like change but we also have to make it easier for kids these days because they love to put in the least amount of effort for the maximum amount of gain. which is a sad reality.

I find as I get older I dislike change more but as @TheLastOlympian07 said its really adapt or die. I like the automation as its easier on the people that have the hardest jobs. 

I always find that people complain also for the sake of complaining also and that people really just dont try it and hate it already before they even attempt it Example: @iRockstar

Listen Bash, I think there is some good sentiment inside of this for sure. I do think there are elements to the argument that aren't as off base as some of the others are, for example. I do agree that there is a less personal touch regarding the way some of the league unfolds. But ideally, once the system has been finalized and stabilized there will be less fluctuations and uncertainty regarding it. 

I think what frustrates me the most seeing the sentiments regarding annoyances to the changes, to seeing certain users/drama gone is just the impracticality behind it. It's also just kind of a base reaction sort of sentiment. Like when you hit your foot on the table, and yell oww. Even though the reason you hit it is because you were being careless. The reality of things like say, users being afforded more freedom to be dramatic is simply different now than it was in years past. Not just here, but everywhere. The internet at large. I'm not saying we still aren't pretty flexible all things considered. But why doe so much of the focus have to be inward, on the league itself? The league should apologize for adapting and trying to continue to thrive in the climate it is in? In what users are asking for, looking for, and how the market changes? You can even put the automation stuff into that as an example. 

You obviously were still being self reflective enough to see that it could just be a familial bias, but it still lingers. I honestly think more people need to wake up to realize how well the VHL has done in adapting in shifting climates. There was some real bad shit going on at one point, and it would of been very easy to fold up tent and call it quits. Hell we've had just as many misfires as hits and if it wasn't for the consistency of the sim, and our attachments to this leagues legacy we'd of been done. Whether you want to talk about during the bad user era and drama and severe lack of league activity, or when we got DDoSed and had to switch forums. I guess I'm just saying for me it's been refreshing to see more new faces who instead of just being the naysaying voice trying to find the faults, they try to own the areas of the league they think could be better in a way that allows us to progress. Anyway I've rambled my three paragraphs, I do think there is absolutely and out of touch aspect to this though for sure. Change is inevitable, and even if it doesn't suck on the surface it always bring the sting of destroying the familiarity we once had with something. But automation aspect is a huge draw, and will be for seasons to come imo. 

Everyone else has basically covered my viewpoint, but I would like to add that there's still plenty of bickering and general conversation going on in the discord. Newbies like me have multiple communities hooked up through that one app that can be accessed basically anywhere, so it's simplest to just use that to communicate 99% of the time and use the site mainly for PTs and to check out game results.

• Commissioner
22 minutes ago, Enorama said:

Everyone else has basically covered my viewpoint, but I would like to add that there's still plenty of bickering and general conversation going on in the discord. Newbies like me have multiple communities hooked up through that one app that can be accessed basically anywhere, so it's simplest to just use that to communicate 99% of the time and use the site mainly for PTs and to check out game results.

Chat boxes kill league activity and we never should have one! /s

I’m obviously joking. I’m also one of few who have been around long enough to remember when that argument was actually raging in the community. 

Though I will say as convenient as Discord is I still don’t love that it takes away from board discussion. However our discussions has been waivering for a few years now so it moving to Discord could be worse.

3 minutes ago, Beketov said:

I’m obviously joking. I’m also one of few who have been around long enough to remember when that argument was actually raging in the community. 

Though I will say as convenient as Discord is I still don’t love that it takes away from board discussion. However our discussions has been waivering for a few years now so it moving to Discord could be worse.

I think we just have to make it more appealing to comment on here. more content etc.

• Commissioner
4 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

I think we just have to make it more appealing to comment on here. more content etc.

It’s not like I’m opposed to Discord. I just don’t like it replacing the forum for the sake of discussion. It’s my main problem with chat boxes in general, everything is in the moment. So if anything important is in there it’s VERY easy to miss.

12 minutes ago, Beketov said:

The SBA begs to differ on that front.

2 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It’s not like I’m opposed to Discord. I just don’t like it replacing the forum for the sake of discussion. It’s my main problem with chat boxes in general, everything is in the moment. So if anything important is in there it’s VERY easy to miss.

Thats why I comment on here and there that way Im missing nothing. I also think the amount of people that are using mobile also greatly effects the number of convos on the site itself. Even I comment more on discord when im on my phone. When im at work and have a pc in front of me that is where I comment on the site. A more mobile friendly version of the site would be better for increased amount of convos or even an app.

• Commissioner
9 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

Thats why I comment on here and there that way Im missing nothing. I also think the amount of people that are using mobile also greatly effects the number of convos on the site itself. Even I comment more on discord when im on my phone. When im at work and have a pc in front of me that is where I comment on the site. A more mobile friendly version of the site would be better for increased amount of convos or even an app.

Honestly I find mobile better on the site than Discord...

There’s not honestly much we can do about the mobile site short of switching platforms again. We’re at the will of IPB

1 hour ago, Beaviss said:

Idk, I find it easy to do everything chat included on my phone except graphics because phone apps don't offer as much in the way of editing tools.

And I barely use Discord because Im old fashioned and can't type as fast as you buggers. Plus like @Beketovsaid its all in the moment and too fast for me to wanna try n even read through all the constant chat shit. 

@Beaviss Quebec City sucks, they'll forever be in Calgary's shadow you punk! Letting you get to game 7 was just to make it that much more gut-wrenching for you when you lost!

This is where I would start chanting "U.S.A! U.S.A!" but both teams are in Canada so it doesn't really work.

14 minutes ago, omgitshim said:

@Beaviss Quebec City sucks, they'll forever be in Calgary's shadow you punk! Letting you get to game 7 was just to make it that much more gut-wrenching for you when you lost!

This is where I would start chanting "U.S.A! U.S.A!" but both teams are in Canada so it doesn't really work.

After Keaton leaves in FA Calgary will suck......... 

Fight on!

9 minutes ago, Beaviss said:

After Keaton leaves in FA Calgary will suck......... 

Fight on!

Calgary will suck.... the life out of the Meute and their 2nd rate squad!

@Velevra Dragomir might have been a step ahead of Arroyo for 5'11" S60 Left Wings for awhile, but the kid gloves are off now, and in a few years it won't be Veran that's remembered as the top of this class! Get ready to get your ass kicked in another playoff series this season!