San Diego Marlins Press Conference

Oatex

Well, after what felt like 72,463 years the drafts finally hit and has now passed as we move towards the Wednesday, November 18, 2020 start date for season 75! I want to send out a big heartfelt congratulations not only to all of our new Marlins players but to all of you who were included/drafted in the VHL Draft Monday! With that said and some other announcements and things coming shortly, let’s get on with our first post-draft Press Conference!

1.      With the craziness of the draft now behind us, what did you take away from the VHL & VHLM drafts? How were they similar? How were they different?

2.      While we’ll always expect the cliché answers on how satisfied you are with where you ended up, instead, are you at all surprised with where you went or how high/low you were selected? What do you personally think went into the decision to draft you where you were taken?

3.      Focusing now on this upcoming season, what are your expectations as a player statistically for season 75?

4.      How can you improve your player this season, and what will you be focusing on skill-wise first?

5.      As San Diego looks to makes the player/user experience better every season, I will be taking a focus on rebuilding the forum club room, including some forum exclusive stuff. What types of things would you like to see on the club forum lockeroom?

6.      Let’s give a big congratulations to Cowboy Prout, our team Captain for the Marlins in season 75! Any words for our new lockeroom general?

1.      With the craziness of the draft now behind us, what did you take away from the VHL & VHLM drafts? How were they similar? How were they different?

It has been an absolutely bonkers couple of days for me in the VHL. That being said, I've had a ton of fun with it. The two drafts were actually very similar for me. In both cases the team that ended up drafting me traded up in the first round to get me early which I think is super flattering and I am humbled by it. Also in both drafts, another D-man was taken alongside me by my team in the first round  (Cowboy in SDM, Greene Giant in TOR) So yeah they were pretty similar all things considered. 

2.      While we’ll always expect the cliché answers on how satisfied you are with where you ended up, instead, are you at all surprised with where you went or how high/low you were selected? What do you personally think went into the decision to draft you where you were taken?

I was shocked when I checked my phone at work and saw a DM from another player in the league that said "congrats on going 2nd". That blew my mind. I thought I would probably go mid to late first round...so to see you guys traded up to get me at 2 was pretty astonishing to me. As for what went into the decision, I think a couple things. One is obviously activity. I've done my best to make my presence known both on the forums as well as Discord. Also I try to keep a positive outlook and I think that's something alot of GMs value in the LR.  

3.      Focusing now on this upcoming season, what are your expectations as a player statistically for season 75?

I don't focus tooooo much on personal stats being a defensemen. The only stat I really want to see is W's for the team. I am tweaking my build a touch this season and it could prove to pay off offensively, but I am focused on being a shut down D-man first and foremost.

4.      How can you improve your player this season, and what will you be focusing on skill-wise first?

Well this will be a little tricky from here on out for this season. I am capped at 250 which means I can only do so much. I have my DEF at 80 and eventually in the future I will be maxing that to 99 but for now I think it is more efficient to spread out my remaining TPA into some other categories. As I mentioned before, I'm tweaking my player build a touch. The plan was always for me to be more of a playmaker than a goal scorer. So when I started I thought it was best to stack Passing over Scoring. Lately I've been told by a few different people that Scoring is just far and above the superior stat, so I've made some alterations. I spent 500k on a TPA Recall to dial back my passing by 10. I spent that 10 and much more on Scoring... the plan is to have my Passing at 69, and my Scoring at 82. Any remaining TPE will go into Skating and Puck Handling.

5.      As San Diego looks to makes the player/user experience better every season, I will be taking a focus on rebuilding the forum club room, including some forum exclusive stuff. What types of things would you like to see on the club forum lockeroom?

Honestly, I don't know about specifics. I only hope that everyone on the team gets engaged and is active as possible. It's alot more fun when there's hype within the team and the banter is strong! Maybe having team-exclusive contests or something would encourage team activity. 

6.      Let’s give a big congratulations to Cowboy Prout, our team Captain for the Marlins in season 75! Any words for our new lockeroom general?

I couldn't think of a more suitable choice to lead this team. Cowboy is an absolute beast on the ice, but more importantly he is a great person behind the scenes as well. I am beyond excited to get this season rolling and be his D partner!

1.      With the craziness of the draft now behind us, what did you take away from the VHL & VHLM drafts? How were they similar? How were they different?

They were similar because I missed both of them. Different because I'm only in one of them. Awesome because @InstantRockstar drafted both myself and @Tate again :D

2.      While we’ll always expect the cliché answers on how satisfied you are with where you ended up, instead, are you at all surprised with where you went or how high/low you were selected? What do you personally think went into the decision to draft you where you were taken?

I don't have any expectations about where I end up. Only who ends up on the ground at my feet - because it's them that you need to watch for. Make sure there's okay. Give 'em a bandaid cuz their fucking CUT. I'm just happy where I ended up.

3.      Focusing now on this upcoming season, what are your expectations as a player statistically for season 75?

I will be looking to hit over 250 hits. If I can get 50 assists or more in the process, that would be wicked. Mostly I'll be in the gym preparing for my VHL Career. Make sure you skate with your heads up lads!

4.      How can you improve your player this season, and what will you be focusing on skill-wise first?

Getting base 70s - but Checking, Strength, and Passing will be the first 70s. Then Defense and Skating. Don't steal my build - or do. It won't matter. I'm bigger than you. 

5.      As San Diego looks to makes the player/user experience better every season, I will be taking a focus on rebuilding the forum club room, including some forum exclusive stuff. What types of things would you like to see on the club forum lockeroom?

Bring back all the things I used to bring into the lockerooms. I'd be happy to throw some ideas out to you my man @fromtheinside. There's a reason they stopped giving out the Top Leader Award. It was getting out of hand that I was winning it most of the time haha.

6.      Let’s give a big congratulations to Cowboy Prout, our team Captain for the Marlins in season 75! Any words for our new lockeroom general?

Less discord more forum. I can't handle all the notifications from discord haha. I am in too many channels... and not just in the VHL. 

3 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

Well, after what felt like 72,463 years the drafts finally hit and has now passed as we move towards the Wednesday, November 18, 2020 start date for season 75! I want to send out a big heartfelt congratulations not only to all of our new Marlins players but to all of you who were included/drafted in the VHL Draft Monday! With that said and some other announcements and things coming shortly, let’s get on with our first post-draft Press Conference!

1.      With the craziness of the draft now behind us, what did you take away from the VHL & VHLM drafts? How were they similar? How were they different?

2.      While we’ll always expect the cliché answers on how satisfied you are with where you ended up, instead, are you at all surprised with where you went or how high/low you were selected? What do you personally think went into the decision to draft you where you were taken?

3.      Focusing now on this upcoming season, what are your expectations as a player statistically for season 75?

4.      How can you improve your player this season, and what will you be focusing on skill-wise first?

5.      As San Diego looks to makes the player/user experience better every season, I will be taking a focus on rebuilding the forum club room, including some forum exclusive stuff. What types of things would you like to see on the club forum lockeroom?

6.      Let’s give a big congratulations to Cowboy Prout, our team Captain for the Marlins in season 75! Any words for our new lockeroom general?

1. From what I've seen on the VHL and VHLM draft, the first few rounds I would say the picks were about similar. Later on they got a bit all over the place on VHL side. I know on VHLM some lower TPE players were picked higher, but that was mostly Defensman and goalies. Where as on VHL start I think 3 or 4 the round some lower TPE players were being picked where I though higher ones would be and some higher TPE players were picked very late.

2. Honestly, I thought I was going to go maybe a round higher in VHLM and few rounds lower in VHL. So, yes I was a little bit surprised. With VHLM I think they were more looking to fill their lines and I might have been a good match for a specific line. On VHL maybe something or maybe even attitude based on conversation I had with the GM.

3. Definatly hoping to get more into the hitting column and potentially into scoring and point column.

4. Probably get more involved in getting more TPE points. My first priority at the moment is getting checking and physical up to 70 so that I can then again work on skating and puck handling

5. Not really sure of this room exists or not already, but maybe a place where A) new people can ask questions and B) some more common questions are stored at.

6. Let's start off the season strong.

I followed both drafts via Twitch and from what I can see, both sets of GM's in their respective leagues had similar but pretty common approaches to selections. The top TPE earners went early, but there were some reaches for a couple of players, but who knows, the GM may have inside information.

I was a little surprised that my player went in the 4th round. I expected possibly 6th or 7th round, based on TPE and the sheer depth of the draft. I think @InstantRockstar made the selection based on past experience and while I appreciate the vote of confidence, I hope that I can live up to San Diego's expectations.

I honestly don't have a set of statistical goals for this season. I just want to play a role that helps the Marlins to go as far as they can this season. There's many more talented players here in San Diego, so I'll be happy to support them however possible.

I'll be building an offensive defenseman most likely, as I have asked what role that IR would like me to build, in order to help the Marlins. I will build on the base skills for that type of player, before expanding my skillset prior to the VHL draft next season.

Obviously I would like a dedicated boobie room, but the usual things like build guides or point task help/suggestions would be nice. But honestly, while I do prefer the forums, most activity has shifted to discord so I'm assuming most of the members will still rarely visit the forum LR.

Congratulations on securing the captaincy. I wish you all the best in the role and hope you can lead us to VHLM glory!

6 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

1. The drafts were both very interesting, I liked watching along and waiting to get picked, definitely had some excitement when I got picked both times. The biggest takeaway from the drafts is that the VHLM is gonna be very competitive this year, and for the VHL a bunch of very good upcoming players got picked which will lead to the continued growth of the league

2. I think I got selected pretty high in the VHLM draft, I was expecting to go around the low 4th but I’m happily surprised. As for the VHL I went around where I expected to go and I’m very excited for the opportunity with both teams

3. Obviously I expect to increase my totals as they were pretty low at the end of the year, however as long as my team is doing good then I don’t mind

4. I’m a center so I wanted to work a little bit on my face off skill, then just overall spread out the tpe to the important categories to stay well balanced 

5. I couldn’t say, I’m not very familiar with the forum clubhouse, but I look forward to using it more 

6. I’m proud of him for being named captain and I can’t wait to get rolling this year!

21 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

1) I’d say the hype and feel. VHLM to myself seemed more like a bigger deal not only cause this showed me where I was going but how it felt and the livestream. 

2) this one I can honestly say I was shocked that the club went all in with me first pick which I still think I’m not worthy of. I’m just glad they got me a D partner to save my ass abit and help out. 

3) to really get that plus minus down. I know last year this whole team struggled and being a rookie Defencemen was hard at times playing bigger minutes but this season I think so far we’re strong and that’ll be something to change. I’d say my point total will go up.

4) definitely offence has been what I’m now gearing myself to do. I want to be a threat both sides of the ice 

5) this is a great idea I think it’ll help the ones who don’t use or like discord and gets team activity going which is fun.

6) don’t fuck up. Haha but I appreciate this I don’t know what else to say. I’m honoured and proud that the management thinks I’m already a guy that can lead and hopefully do it on and off ice as best as I possibly can. We need to keep earning and staying active and have some fun while we do it!

I'd like to start scoring more, I think a season line of 25 goals and 30 assists would be a good mark to aim for while I develop.

I'll be working on my puck handling and defense to try and become a more dangerous player on both ends of the ice. I'm primarily an offensive player but as we all know defense breeds offense.

I'm a big believer in discord being better for maintaining a community and using the club forum lockerroom for stuff that's more permanent like records and awards though the portal handles all of that. Maybe some player of the week awards or something.

I'll be relying on you to post press conferences or whatever a team captain does. Stock up on hype gifs at least.

Gonna be super basic this week 11/16 - 11/22. Picked up a legitimate minor injury over the weekend and typing on the computer is a bit rough right now. Let's get those W's when the season starts on Wednesday! That'll make me feel better.

1.      The VHLM Regular Season begins this week, how excited are you to get back on the ice following this 140-year long off season?

2.      Some big changes to the VHLM and the league as a whole this season, how do you feel about the changes to the inactivity policy and the VHLM Juniors?

3.      Who on the team aside from yourself are you most interested in seeing their development on the ice this season?

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season ?, what do you want included?

5.      To get into the team spirit of the city, tell me one fact about San Diego?

6.      Who wins the Continental Cup in the VHL this season?

1.      The VHLM Regular Season begins this week, how excited are you to get back on the ice following this 140-year long off season?

I have been itching to get things going for many days now. Even with the Victory Pro-Am providing a nice distraction, it has felt like an eternity since we had league games. Can't wait to get started here with the Marlins!

2.      Some big changes to the VHLM and the league as a whole this season, how do you feel about the changes to the inactivity policy and the VHLM Juniors?

I think the change to IA is fine. You can be pretty much confident after 21 days after doing nothing that a guy can labelled as IA. As for the VHLM Juniors, I have some concerns, especially in its infancy. I just don't want new players to feel alienated by being shipped off to a junior affiliate that has hardly anyone on it. Once we get to the point where Junior rosters are almost full across the board, then I think it will be a great system. 

3.      Who on the team aside from yourself are you most interested in seeing their development on the ice this season?

Well I know that Cowboy Prout will be max capped pretty soon. I think Kaladin Kvothe is an exciting talent to watch up front and Odinsson back on the blue line could be a great story over the course of this season also. 

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season, what do you want included?

If we are talking a free meal, Scotty Kaberle likes his NY Striploin steaks cooked medium rare :) Throw is  some mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus spears and you got yourself a meal!

5.      To get into the team spirit of the city, tell me one fact about San Diego?

According to legendary news anchorman Ron Burgandy, San Diego is spanish for "whale's vagina"! Also San Diego is home to Petco Park where the major league baseball team the San Diego Padres play.  

6.      Who wins the Continental Cup in the VHL this season?

There are a few good picks but I think Seattle has a chance a grabbing yet another Continental Cup in Season 75. They are loaded with elite talent like Jimbob, Kris Rice, Timothy Brown and more, and Jacob Tonn is a solid option in between the pipes!

7 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

Gonna be super basic this week 11/16 - 11/22. Picked up a legitimate minor injury over the weekend and typing on the computer is a bit rough right now. Let's get those W's when the season starts on Wednesday! That'll make me feel better.

1.      The VHLM Regular Season begins this week, how excited are you to get back on the ice following this 140-year long off season?

2.      Some big changes to the VHLM and the league as a whole this season, how do you feel about the changes to the inactivity policy and the VHLM Juniors?

3.      Who on the team aside from yourself are you most interested in seeing their development on the ice this season?

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season ?, what do you want included?

5.      To get into the team spirit of the city, tell me one fact about San Diego?

1) very excited and being back playing will be great. I’m just happy that we’ll be competitive and better this season and having a fun new D partner will be great. 

2)  I wrote my small take on juniors I think they could either add to it or change it. The IA Is one step in the right direction and should be better 

3) Scotty as he’s grown a lot this offseason and having him on this team is key. I think he’ll be interesting 

4)  BEER, I’d say maybe cocaine and strippers ?

5) I play for there city.

Ronald Reagan was the first person to drive across the Coronado Bridge when it opened in 1969.

6) I don’t know that’s tough. Wait and see

8 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

1. Very excited. Want to see if all the training has paid off.

2. I really hope it is a change for the good and I hope Juniors help bring in new faces.

3. I think probably would be a goalie. In my opinion they are the heart and soul of a team and what makes or brakes a team.

4. If we talking food, ribs sounds really good to me at the moment

5. I heard they got a pretty good hockey team.

6. My prediction, London United

1.      The VHLM Regular Season begins this week, how excited are you to get back on the ice following this 140-year long off season?

Very excited to play in a new city and get back onto the ice. I've been working hard over the summer so I'm looking forward to see my hard work pay off.

2.      Some big changes to the VHLM and the league as a whole this season, how do you feel about the changes to the inactivity policy and the VHLM Juniors?

I like the focus on active player retention rather than inactives, I get that playing those 250 IAs is a tempting prospect for many a GM but it's against the spirit of the league and the commissioners being proactive in changing stuff is a good sign for the health of the league. The VHLM Juniors is a good idea so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

3.      Who on the team aside from yourself are you most interested in seeing their development on the ice this season?

Probably Red Lite , he comes from a player agency with a reputation for finding diamonds in the rough so I think he and I will find a lot of success here in San Diego.

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season , what do you want included?

Get me some roast duck and pancakes, I swear I could demolish a whole duck sometimes, it's my go to whenever I get a chinese, that and some chicken fried rice.

5.      To get into the team spirit of the city, tell me one fact about San Diego?

San Diego hold the record for the longest playoff drought in SBA at 13 seasons with a drought that is still going, their last appearance was in season 36

I'll go with my hometown (home country) team in London, I believe they could get it done against the odds.

Edited by DangerGolding

On 11/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, IamMOOSE said:

1. I’m super excited, I’ve been itching to get back into the swing of things, I’ve been missing games.

2. I think the junior ideas and inactive policy changes are positive and are gonna help the league continue to grow.

3. Definitely our captain Cowboy, he’s pretty close to max and I think he’s gonna be very key to our success this season

4. Steak, lots of steak. Nothing like a good meal before a big game

5. The Padres just made it to the NLDS this year, but lost badly to the LA Dodgers

6. Roll Riga baby!

1.The VHLM Regular Season begins this week, how excited are you to get back on the ice following this 140-year long off season?

9/10, Excited to see all the young prospects this year.

I really don’t mind the new policy in place. If a player is inactive for 21 days then they’re most likely not going to be coming back for a while.

Honestly with a young team like this there are a lot of players to choose from, but I think that Red Lite is going to be a star given enough time in the league.

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season  , what do you want included?

Definitely a burrito guy myself

Ron Burgundy is from there. 

I believe that the D.C. Dragons could steal the cup this year. (Completely bias btw)

1.  The VHLM Regular Season begins this week, how excited are you to get back on the ice following this 140-year long off season?

It's a first for the ROCK. It didn't seem too long because I was so focused on the excitement of getting the Rock off to a good start. Second sim day and I hit 6 people in the game today. That's what I'm talking about. Tomorrow I'll record my first point -  just watch @InstantRockstar!

I actually haven't read it... one second let me do that.

The inactivity policy seems fair. I would still consider myself semi-active with Marleau towards the end of his career where I was checking the sims every third day and claiming welfare and PF each week. It's not super active but it's still something! 

I'm most interested in seeing how @Jonessee27's  player will develop. I know we'll have amazingness from @Rayzor_7, @Tate, @BOOM™ @fromtheinside and more but I want to hold Nero in the spotlight to really showcase his talent. I think he'll be a great forward!

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season ?, what do you want included?

Aspargus and Salmon and wild rice

Bodybuilder's meatloaf

Roasted Ham

A fuck ton of tequila. 

I'm a massive dude and need my calories. 

It means a Whale's Vagina. 

Whales Vagina GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Don't ask me.. but possibly Seattle? They're looking fine. 

It's nice to finally have the season start. Will be weird to not be in the VHL

The IA policy is nicer and the Juniors could be really beneficial 

Turner, I want to see if his ass can stay active and capping

4.      IR is covering the bill for catering for our first home game of the season , what do you want included?

Steak, ribs and hot wings

It's a warm place, quite weird for hockey

I'll take my old team, Seattle Bears win it

I'm keeping this pretty short this week, still got the arm in and out of a sling so doing this by phone. Anyway, here's your Presser for November 23rd-29th:

1. We're going into week two of the season with a pretty average record and some areas to work on. What is your thoughts on week one of the VHLM Season and what are you looking to improve on going forward?

2. At this point of the season, are we above, below, or meeting your early expectations for this season? Explain.

3. We have one of the worst PKs in the league, what would be your strategy to turn around our shorthanded unit?

4. It's American Thanksgiving on Thursday, what are you most thankful for in the VHL?

5. What is your favorite holiday food? Why?

6. If you could invite only one member of the team to your next holiday dinner, who would it be?

1. We're going into week two of the season with a pretty average record and some areas to work on. What is your thoughts on week one of the VHLM Season and what are you looking to improve on going forward?

Is forgetting week one an option? There's been some strategy and line changes made for our next series of games so hopefully that works for us. I'm personally looking for improvements everywhere, as I have been incredibly average so far. 

2. At this point of the season, are we above, below, or meeting your early expectations for this season? Explain.

Below expectations for sure. I have been dissatisfied with all aspects of my play and need to improve to help the team succeed. 

3. We have one of the worst PKs in the league, what would be your strategy to turn around our shorthanded unit?

Dude, that's way above my pay grade. I get paid to play, not develop strategies for success. If I had one piece of advice, make sure Odinnson isn't involved. 

4. It's American Thanksgiving on Thursday, what are you most thankful for in the VHL?

I'm most thankful for the quality members that make up the VHL. There's some great people here and I'm glad to be back amongst them. 

We don't really celebrate Thanksgiving here obviously, but I do enjoy Turkey and Mac n cheese. I could eat that quite happily. 

6. If you could invite only one member of the team to your next holiday dinner, who would it be?

Probably @Phil, because I wouldn't have to carve the turkey. He'd use his giant biceps to tear it apart in seconds. 

4 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

I'm keeping this pretty short this week, still got the arm in and out of a sling so doing this by phone. Anyway, here's your Presser for November 23rd-29th:

1. We're going into week two of the season with a pretty average record and some areas to work on. What is your thoughts on week one of the VHLM Season and what are you looking to improve on going forward?

6. If you could invite only one member of the team to your next holiday dinner, who would it be?

1) stay focused and keep getting better and earn. Help my team out anyways I can. 

2) below honestly I had much higher expectations but lots of time to turn this around. 

3) keep improving and getting better. It’s all this team can do.

4) the great community and meeting some really cool and nice people. The support here is fantastic.

5) pumpkin pie. Something about how it’s usually around for holidays only and your with your loved ones. Taste good too.

6) probably Scotty it’s a player he’s very chill good guy all around but it’d be a toss up if Moose or Rockstar couldn’t come

I think we just need some time to gel as a team, I'm looking to improve my defense and skating so I can get a bit more open to try and get more shooting opportunities as I've only managed to take 7 shots so far this season.

A bit below I have to say, it's early days but a .500 record isn't where we're really aiming to be at. I'm not worried though, after we get a bit more time to mesh together we'll be a lot better.

Play me in it I guess?

I'm thankful for the activity of the GMs in both the major and minor leagues, everyone I've been in contact with has been helpful to me.

Probably a nice mince pie, getting some fancy ones from like Waitrose or M&S was a real treat in our house in the holiday season.

Maybe Red Lite so I can fatten him up and I'll steal some more ice time off him.

Edited by DangerGolding

It's going to be a very tough season, I'd like to pick up to PPG.
Probably slightly below
Clearly need some help, give new players a chance
Being Canadian
Really any meat

IR, I feel he could teach me a thing or two about IT

14 hours ago, IamMOOSE said:

1. Week one has been pretty fun, my guy has been decent but is getting better. Overall the team just needs to get on track and everything will be good.

2. I’m at around where I expected to be, not elite yet but close to it. 
3. Team needs to focus on improving our defensive ratings

4. Ability to talk to many people and have good interactions 

5. Ham, I like meat a lot, ham is just all around good on any holiday

6. Cowboy, that guy is crazy and seems like he’d have a lot of good stories 

1. Yeah, this season looks like its going to be a tight one for a lot of teams wanting to qualify for the playoffs. I spent most of the summer rounding out my game but I think that my goal scoring has taken a step back, definitely want to bring that back up.

2. I mean going into this season we knew it was going to be a close one all year and its still shaping up to be exactly that!

3. I’m not really an expert at this but I would just say to focus more on making the PK lines more even in terms of distributing the top defensive stars of the team.

4. I’m for sure most thankful to the San Diego Marlins and the D.C. Dragons for drafting me.

5. For sure smoked turkey is my favorite food to eat for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

6. I would probably invite Nikolas DAndrea since he played with my brother over on the Miami Marauders last year.