S79 Deadline Suggestion Drive

Beketov

1. A matchup against the SHL. VHL vs SHL, with each team's best players. Maybe have anAll-Star team or something from each league represent each other. Maybe run it in EA's NHL....which I think might be a cool way to see their next game. It's going to be a PS5 game and announced on Thursday, so there's some hype there. We'll have to come up with a way to translate the STHS attributes and FHM attributes to EA NHL's, but it's definitely possible.

2. I think it was also suggested, but make jersey numbers official. They don't apply to STHS but we could have official ones on the player pages, and each player page would show a player's previous numbers for what team, and even on their retired page, would show if their number was retired for a team.

3. Mock Drafts, like other leagues. You get partial TPE for each correct answer, like 0.25 or 0.5 TPE per correct pick, with up to a possible 5 TPE or something. SHL has a mock every season.

Also, tag me in literally every single TPE opportunity, even VHFL. I miss that one a lot because I don't see the open registry thread until it's too late.

1. Reduce Affiliate Cap.. I understand that it's nice to have more players and more members but having them capped out at 12 TPE for doing nothing, does nothing for forum activity. Make it 10 TPE, so then they at least have to participate in Pressers, VHL.com, or even Trivia.

2. Use the Portal front page a little more effectively. We could use it for a lot of the ideas of member showcase, and content showcase. I think there was a time where we were updating the front page more often, but now it's kinda directed more at the VSN crew. I think even doing side-bars and make it a little more filled out would be good.

3. VHL Bets.. Something like Fantasy but you do it more like props. You could do it like Draft Kings where you draft a temptorary team that lasts 3 sims or something. You could use Bet Money and then the users with the most Bet Money can cash it in at the end of the season for rewards.

2 hours ago, Eynhallow said:

OK, I get it.  Do you want that I should submit another suggestion ???  Or will my over/under 550 TPE Tourney idea be good enough ??

Lol they aren’t grading this, just your looking for your suggestions. You’re good.

9 hours ago, Jubo said:

Removal of the thunderdome. If a post is too controversial and drawing too much negativity just remove the thread. Comments for thunderdome still show in the live activity feed so its effectively pointless until locked. Bad look for new members to witness.

Jubs, I love you dude but absolutely not please….

13 hours ago, OrbitingDeath said:

Trading cards - a fun way to keep people engaged, set up a trading system for em or so. ISFL can be looked at as an example

Literally everytime I make a player card for vhl.com GFX I always think how cool it would be for VHL trading cards, have a new set of cards every seasons including rookie cards etc

1. There should be a recap for end of the year highlights such as significant forum/discord moments moments, most memorable game.

2. More free TPE opportunities such as this one.

3. Forum TPE earning chat, just like the TPE discord channel but on the forum so that it is easier to access TPE earning links for people who don't have discord and aren't that familiar with where things are on the forum. 

This seems like a great idea, I hope you won't get overwhelmed with all the comments and will be able to find the good stuff that could make a difference :)

1. Even as someone who is pretty experienced with sim leagues, some things werent very well explained at the start. I don't quite remember all the details but it was tough to find info on stuff like the 175-TPE cutoff, draft date and location and a few more things. The Portal makes updating easy but the same isn't necessarily true for understanding all the rules. Also it was hella frustrating to find out that as a returning member I wasn't eligible for the Pension-program anymore, although that's not really a recruiting issue ;)

2. It's probably not something we can change much about but shorter player careers tend to be worse for retention. It's something I have been witnessing with the VHL or other leagues like the GOMHL, where the members cycle through their players rather quickly in comparison to say the SHL, and it feels like this leads to shorter average stints in the league. Every time you retire a player, it offers an "organic" opportunity to take a break and maybe step away from the league for a while, or maybe ever. At the same time, the fact that you can have a new player every 8 seasons or so means that you go through the same progression cycle more often in a shorter amount of time, which can become boring and burn people out. It's another thing that would probably be too complicated to touch, but in my opinion careers in the VHL have always felt a bit too short to really be fully rewarding.

3. Are there rookie help or draft class channels on Discord? If so I never found my way into one, and they are something that has been great for retention in other leagues I've been on. Having a place to talk about stuff with your fellow rookies who are in the same boat as you, or to reach out to a specifically trained rookie mentor, can be super helpful in early player retention.

• Commissioner
13 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

This seems like a great idea, I hope you won't get overwhelmed with all the comments and will be able to find the good stuff that could make a difference :)

We’re going to do our best to filter them into different categories and have open discussion topics for each category. Once the discussions run their course we’ll take the best ideas and move them to BOG discussion.

14 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

but it was tough to find info on stuff like the 175-TPE cutoff

It would be since that hasn’t been 175 for years now.

15 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

It's another thing that would probably be too complicated to touch, but in my opinion careers in the VHL have always felt a bit too short to really be fully rewarding.

We are extending them, though only by 1 season.

15 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

Are there rookie help or draft class channels on Discord?

Newcomer’s help and Draft central respectively.

28 minutes ago, Beketov said:

It would be since that hasn’t been 175 for years now.

The other one then, 350 or whatever it is now 😅. As I said I don't quite remember all the details but there were just a few of those intricacies of rules and player management where it was tough to find info on early on.

We are extending them, though only by 1 season.

I mean as much as I prefer the longer careers, I know it's not a change that would be realistic just because the whole fabric of the VHL works differently and everything is geared towards the shorter cycles. It's just something I wanted to bring up because it might be the main thing why I never got into the VHL as much as the SHL, and maybe it's like that for others as well. Especially for everyone who doesn't do every single PT it can feel like you've just started becoming a useful player and boom, you are already hit by regression and on the downswing again. But I recognize it's also sort of a personal preference.

Newcomer’s help and Draft central respectively.

Maybe I just wasn't seen as a newcomer but yeah, I don't think I ever found my way to any of those so maybe others didn't as well.

• Commissioner
47 minutes ago, RomanesEuntDomus said:

I mean as much as I prefer the longer careers, I know it's not a change that would be realistic just because the whole fabric of the VHL works differently and everything is geared towards the shorter cycles. It's just something I wanted to bring up because it might be the main thing why I never got into the VHL as much as the SHL, and maybe it's like that for others as well. Especially for everyone who doesn't do every single PT it can feel like you've just started becoming a useful player and boom, you are already hit by regression and on the downswing again. But I recognize it's also sort of a personal preference.

Conveniently regression is changing alongside the career length change :)

Groovy Dood still needs to work, so I still need to toss in my ideas. This is AL THE GUY not AL THE BLUE talking, so don't take it as gospel.

1. More collaboration: The VHL is work, man. You have homework every single week. But yknow what this class is missing? GROUP WORK. 
- So far, "collaboration" means someone asking me a question and me writing a media spot for them in an "answer". That's not the intent, but 500 words just plop out of me. 

- Working on a project with someone else can be nice. It's lonely doing stuff on your own. Pooling two brains together to come up with ideas, do research, and pump out content makes the process and the result stronger.

- I don't know how claiming would work: maybe 1000 words for a Media Spot for two people to claim? It doesn't have to be "you write 500 and I write 500", if one person does all the stat grabbing and one person does all the writing, *and both agree to share the teeps*, then I say pay em both!

2. Committees: I'm sensing a theme.... I think VHL has stagnated because we're more disconnected from each other. Anywhere we can do *actual* VHL stuff together (vs chillin in genchat), the better.

- We have cool suggestions in here like All-Star Games, Social Nights, and other big-scale projects that the Blues just can't pull off alone.

- Why don't you and three friends do it together? 

- I had a convo with someone who said "me and him want to bring back the All-Star Game". Fuck yeah! Team up. Put together a little committee. Meet on voicechat. Get shit done. Make a plan. Use the leadership team as a resource to help you make things happen. Games Night is a huge undertaking to schedule, coordinate, host - don't do it alone!

3. Diversify Fantasy: Yeah, sorta stealing ideas from others, but too bad. Berocka's Super Coach idea (think daily Draft Kings budgeted team building), Alex_J and JLoser's idea that everyone should do VHLM/E fantasy, Spartan's rejigging of points, they're all good ways to spice up a classic staple of our league.

- Daily sim predictions would be a great way to crush the meta-team-building problem with VHFL. The sims are so consistently random that even if everyone copied each other, there's a big chance they'd all totally flop with such a small sample size. 

- Once you're graduated, you don't pay attention to the VHLM. Straight up, don't lie. Allowing VHLers to make predictions on the minors makes them at least keep an eye on the standings and put a bit of effort into picking realistic winners.

- We can do *all* of these, and I think switching it up week to week would keep things spicy. This week is Super Coach, next week is VHLM Pick 'Em, next week is "Cover the Spread". Just keeping things fresh, making the fantasy managers earn their paycheques heh.

- VHFL of course will still exist in whatever format, fixing that is its own post at this point.

1. Add A Midseason Tournament Where All VHL, VHLM And Possibly VHLE Teams Play Each Other
  2. Maybe Add Like Best Players Of The Week In Every League.
  3. Add A Prospects Game Before The Draft If Possible

1. I don't know if it is possible with the current forum software but I think it would improve the forum activity a lot to add a live chat on the right side of the website. I know there is forums that has this option and it would give the opportunity to forum-only members to chat with others more easily.

2. I think it would be great to make the VHFL draft on the portal someday. This way, people could pick from a list of player and once a player is picked, it gets automatically greyed out which avoid double picks, retired players picks and too many players in 1 position.

3. We could replace the career task for a daily reward like, posting a comment once per day on the forums to get your daily reward and once you have 7 daily rewards in a row, you get 1 uncapped TPE. Let's be honest, the career task section is a wasteland full of threads without replies and barely any views, the whole point of it is to give uncapped TPE so I think it needs to be replaced with something that will involve more people into the community and a daily post streak is a solution that could be potentially good. We could even keep track of the longest streaks as we all know we are a bunch of competitive folks and we will want the longest streak.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:27 AM, Beketov said:

Hello @Members! (I know, two pings in one day, god damn these blues)

I promise this will be worth the extra ping. While it is theme week and that does mean extra uncapped TPE we wanted to offer a bit more this season. As you may have noticed, and as @GustavMattias pointed out activity is down a little bit. There’s likely a number of reasons for this, the forefront of which is that summer is usually a slower period and we had a large boost from the pandemic which is more or less coming to a close.

We aren’t necessarily concerned about this, it was mostly expected, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t keeping an eye on it. So, with that in mind, we wanted to add a little something to the deadline and theme week this season: A suggestion drive. We’ve done these before and they are pretty simple, what you need to do is comment in this thread with 3 suggestions about how you would want to see the league improved. This can be things that other leagues do, things that we used to do and stopped, things that just seem so obvious it’s strange we never tried, whatever you want. Once you do that you can claim your comment (uncapped-> other-> other) as 3 uncapped TPE.

A couple of quick notes about this:

1. The thread will lock in 1 week (just so that people don’t come in super late and try to claim it) so get your suggestions in early. Additionally, though it should work out anyway, this has to be claimed before the deadline and cannot he claimed on a player created after the deadline. Same as the theme week basically.
  2. You can work off a suggestion someone else posted but at least make sure to add your own opinions and thoughts on the matter, don’t just copy someone else and say “yeah that.”
  3. We don’t guarantee that anything suggested will be used but I do guarantee that we’ll at least read them all and comment where we can. Just because a suggestion doesn’t get used doesn’t mean it was ignored or not discussed.
  4. If a lot of discussion starts happening (which isn’t a bad thing) we’ll likely branch off a discussion topic on top of this one so that things can get fleshed out more fully. However the more detail you can give the better.

Suggestion thread 

.1 better ways to make players better , I think socially and amount of input given should add to leadership abillity

which makes a player a c or a a

.2 better ways of communicating .

.3 more attributes 

• Head Moderator

1. Add customization and player profiles to the portal for more "Attachment".

2. Forum based games or activities to increase forum activity (ironic coming from me).

3. More streamer based mentions/ads.

1. Add a rookie award in the VHLM.
2. An All Star game for the VHLM.
3. Try to make point tasks more fun? I don't know how you'd make them fun but I haven't gotten motivation to do them lately.

1 -- more excitement around new members -- weekly spotlight, interviews, etc -- wouldo help to make them feel more part of the league on the forums

2 -- have some sort of prospect game before the draft, even if its just 4 teams, would help lead up to more excitement before the draft and you get to see how your player performs vs the other players in the draft

3 -- some sort of game like we do in the SBA where you can build your own team with different builds -- you get "x" amount of tpe to spend  and players have to between "x" and "y" tpe spent on them.  you could have 9 F, 6 D and a goalie and would allow folks who are not familar with the sim or player builds to tinker with different combos to see how everything in the sim interacts

1. More publicity to the league would be great to see, I get with the current simulation engine that it wouldn't be possible however to see any form of the league on media platforms would be great. First thing that comes to mind is watching VHL/M/E on twitch, whether for fun or for real. It can draw people into joining too if they're glancing the platform. Using hockey games and simulators (EA NHL, Hockey Manager, etc.) would be a good way of expanding the league into a more fun and public light for others to get interest in joining.

2. More ways of earning TPE. While there are plenty of ways of making TPE, more is always a good thing. I think if anything more ways of earning high amounts of TPE are worth looking into as it'll give people more of a push to work for it. (i.e. pushing to make a graphic so they earn 6 TPE)

3. Possibly raising the weekly TPE cap? While 12 capped TPE sounds very reasonable, if increased it would result in more user activity. If depending on the amount and what they're doing is properly done too it would limit the amount of using the same thing repeatedly for a single week. (i.e. if the cap is raised to 20 capped TPE but only 2-3 of the same PT allowed instead of having 10+ of the same)

Extra: MORE VHL/M/E MERCH!

1. Make it a thing for schedule automatic welfare claim if you go in vacation so people don’t get hit by in active so much

2. Update the discord to have a new Pokémon channel 

3. more events for players to be more active and stop leaving as much

4. Get Minion a job(Jk)

Edited by Minion

• Commissioner
12 minutes ago, Minion said:

Make it a thing for schedule automatic welfare claim if you go in vacation so people don’t get hit by in active so much

That seems like a good idea on paper but wouldn’t it be massively easy to abuse? Player knows they are going to be going inactive so their GM just says to turn on vacation mode so that it can just auto-claim for them. Or do I missunderstand ?

18 minutes ago, Beketov said:

That seems like a good idea on paper but wouldn’t it be massively easy to abuse? Player knows they are going to be going inactive so their GM just says to turn on vacation mode so that it can just auto-claim for them. Or do I missunderstand ?

That would work I just met a couple of people who went in active due to vacation or lack of internet and lost their player

• Commissioner
Just now, Minion said:

That would work I just met a couple of people who went in active due to vacation or lack of internet and lost their player

I guess we could have a cutoff of like 2 weeks but the whole point of welfare is being something super quick and easy that you still need to come on to claim. Making it something you can just set up once and automatically get kinda defeats that purpose.

The better suggestion would be to have people actually use the Official Away Thread because if we know people aren’t around it’s pretty easy to be lenient on the IA rules. We aren’t heartless, we’ll gladly make exceptions to a lot of things if we are made aware in advance. They’d still have to claim TPE those weeks if they expect to get any but it could save them being removed.

1. Have Hits Taken on the Player Page stat line please!

2. Bring Back the VHL Lottery. I never won and would like to! Strategize on the number of Capped vs Uncapped TPE handed out per lottery or per season. Would love to see Free Weeks, or additional money we could use in the store, or custom signatures.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:04 AM, BarzalGoat said:

3. VHL Buddy system to be set up for new members. A buddy can help teach how to claim point tasks or just chat, and this can be more personal than a recruitment team member. This should be VHLM GM's and AGM's; however, it frequently is not picked up by them

3. Yes, this. I would love to return to the days where we had a VHL Mentor (like I was) who's job it was to guide new members around the site, answer questions, and help get their name out there for GMs. As we know it's a lot to take in for newer members so on the Create a Player Page, asking if they would like a mentor to help them out and assigning one of us to it would help with at least short-term retention. It also creates a more welcoming environment and you can instantly make a connection with the member :)

Sincerely,

Phil