roe v wade

fishy

• Head Moderator
7 minutes ago, Jack Johnson said:

I actually offer my condolences. It is a horrible thing. No matter what. 

And if you were sincere about it then you wouldnt be "pro life". Hence the term crocodile tears. 

Just now, Baozi said:

And if you were sincere about it then you wouldnt be "pro life". Hence the term crocodile tears. 

Ok. Took it another way. Still though. I support it if the baby will be born dead. Miscarrages etc.

Im a lot more moderate than others. An abortion on demand with no reason should be restricted

• Head Moderator
23 minutes ago, Jack Johnson said:

An abortion on demand with no reason should be restricted

So, you think that people decide to have abortions on whim? Like with no reason whatsoever and no thought to their wellbeing or I mean...you know just to shoot the shit with? In what world do you think people have abortions for fun or without meaning?

Edited by Baozi

29 minutes ago, Jack Johnson said:

Ok. Took it another way. Still though. I support it if the baby will be born dead. Miscarrages etc.

Im a lot more moderate than others. An abortion on demand with no reason should be restricted

My god. Are you for real?

• Commissioner

@KaleebtheMightythat was heart wrenching to read. My girlfriend is at 16 weeks today and I can't imagine having to go through that. I'm incredibly sorry for your loss.

@Jack Johnson your view points on this suck.

Reminder: I need to make a filter that changes pro-life to anti-choice / anti-women.

1 hour ago, Jack Johnson said:

I would like to come out and say I was dared to do all this for $25. I actually think this was really bad

Bro $25 isn't gonna pay off the bad rep you've gotten among most of the community for invading a thread meant for people to vent their frustrations and fears and anxieties about a very tragic ruling

As a rather normal teenage male I suppose in theory this doesn't affect me in any way, but duh, it's wrong. I don't think abortions are super awesome but it's also really not anyone's prerogative to decide what someone else does with their body. Your body, your choice, for abortions and vaccines. I don't really appreciate you not getting the vax and if it's based on fake news, then I'll do my best to get you actual facts, but in the end it's not my call what you do. Court is political and yeah before we know it America will be back in 1894 which isn't a fun thought. Either that or we'll have actual full-on conflict which is also very scary to think of. 

If you live in like Cal or NY or places close by this isn't a super huge deal, but then think of the Deep South. Some poor gal in AL or whatever might have to go all the way up to TN for an abortion and tbh it's just gonna get worse to the point where you're nearest clinic is in like North Carolina or what have you. But it's nice to know that a bunch of out of touch super imposing conservatives don't care about what people actually want.

Kavanaugh and Thomas never got found "guilty" or what have you, but neither did a bunch of hateful police officers who killed black people or just stood outside while someone shot up a school. Celebrities always have a "Get Out of Jail Free" card at their disposal or whatever. OJ Simpson obviously murdered bis woman and Bill Cosby for sure assaulted lots of women but one got acquitted of murder and the other got released on a technicality that didn't make him innocent at all.

2 hours ago, Jack Johnson said:

I would like to come out and say I was dared to do all this for $25. I actually think this was really bad

Give it a rest. Own up to your shit for once in your life.

14 hours ago, Jack Johnson said:

Trolling by bringing the most obvious contrary opinion to a sensitive topic. hmm.....

Edited by v.2

6 hours ago, Baozi said:

I think you are wrong here... this was a human who died. Offering condolences is absolutely in line with pro-life imo

While I stand by my initial statement that I despise the SCOTUS' back pedalling of their former decisions I would enter some other points of view in here as well, playing devil's advocate so to speak.

Just because something is not considered a right under the constitution, does not outlaw it by definition, correct? I mean there is no right to own a Rolls-Royce, but you can legally buy them in most states.

I agree it is 'your body, your choice'... but if it is your choice, shouldn't it be your wallet as well? I can see that people with a more conservative moral compass do not want to see their tax dollars spent on what they perceive as murder (much like people demonstrated against the Vietnam war for the same or at least similar reasons). I mean gun enthusiasts could argue that the 2nd Amendment grants them the right 'to keep and bear arms' but they have to pay the guns they wish to keep and bear.

The caveat I see here is that two fundamental rights (1st amendment Freedom of Religion and whatever article covers the control over your body) clash with each other, I can understand (though do not agree with) that conservative pro-life people do not like to be involuntary complicit on something they believe to be murder if the costs for abortions are footed by the public.

Having said that, apparently 70-80% of the American public does not like the decision of the SCOTUS. It would be prudent if the House and the Senate would agree to explicitely insert the right to abortion as an addition/amendment to the constitution, which would render the SCOTUS finding irrelevant. I do not know whether the American public has the possibility to force a poll on such subjects, in Switzerland we do.

27 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

but if it is your choice, shouldn't it be your wallet as well?

its already like this.... remember united states does not have universal healthcare. but beyond that abortion is a medical procedure. so if in some world the united states ends up with universal health care you are saying that because it doesn't line up with someone else's beliefs it shouldn't be covered??? There are so so so so many reasons people need abortions. agree with them or not they are often life saving for the person carrying the baby. you can't just say oh well Im pro life so no abortion. well you're just killing an actual born human instead.

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

absolutely in line with pro-life

if pro life was actually pro-life I'd agree with you. but truth of matter is a large majority of pro-lifers, especially politicians who say they are pro life don't give a fuck about that baby when it's born and only care what you do when that baby isn't alive. Look at the state of America beyond this abortion ruling... you think those people are pro life with all the shit that goes on in this country?

27 minutes ago, samx said:

its already like this.... remember united states does not have universal healthcare. but beyond that abortion is a medical procedure. so if in some world the united states ends up with universal health care you are saying that because it doesn't line up with someone else's beliefs it shouldn't be covered??? There are so so so so many reasons people need abortions. agree with them or not they are often life saving for the person carrying the baby. you can't just say oh well Im pro life so no abortion. well you're just killing an actual born human instead.

I did not know that it is paid by the individual to undergo this procedure and I apologize for my ignorance. As I stated before, in Switzerland abortions are covered in the health insurance every individual pays from their own pocket, so the argument cannot be made in the first place (not that it is a good one at all). I think a lot of these pro life people are under the misconception that women will use abortions as an alternative to birth control (which I am pretty sure no reasonable woman would ever consider). 

22 minutes ago, samx said:

if pro life was actually pro-life I'd agree with you. but truth of matter is a large majority of pro-lifers, especially politicians who say they are pro life don't give a fuck about that baby when it's born and only care what you do when that baby isn't alive. Look at the state of America beyond this abortion ruling... you think those people are pro life with all the shit that goes on in this country?

Yeah I meant actual pro-life not the hippocrytes who are against abortions but get a hard one if some poor soul is sentenced to death...

Just now, Daniel Janser said:

I did not know that it is paid by the individual to undergo this procedure and I apologize for my ignorance. As I stated before, in Switzerland abortions are covered in the health insurance every individual pays from their own pocket, so the argument cannot be made in the first place (not that it is a good one at all). I think a lot of these pro life people are under the misconception that women will use abortions as an alternative to birth control (which I am pretty sure no reasonable woman would ever consider). 

I'm sure there are some insurance companies here who will pay but remember again most of those companies are private companies so your tax money is not going to funding abortions. Alot of insurance companies here won't cover it and you are paying out of pocket.

2 minutes ago, samx said:

I'm sure there are some insurance companies here who will pay but remember again most of those companies are private companies so your tax money is not going to funding abortions. Alot of insurance companies here won't cover it and you are paying out of pocket.

Yeah in this case my mind is too limited to make up any half-way reasonable grounds for people to tell other people what to do with their body.

I don't know if I agree with the conduct toward Jack Johnson here. I agree that his opinions are poorly formed and his takes are bad, but last I checked this wasn't a place where anyone can say "Have XYZ opinion or GTFO." You all know as well I do that he's a literal child, and even if he wasn't, it's more effective for everyone's growth to have a mature discourse instead of jumping down his throat. Yeah, the preteen has his foot perpetually in his mouth, what a shock. The fact that the $25 bet thing was used as justification for a suspension even though we all know that's a backpedaling lie is just silly.

I don't love getting involved in politics here any more than I do IRL, but it just seems like poor form for someone to suspend a kid for abusive behaviour when they made this comment earlier.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:27 PM, Baozi said:

Your mom was pretty upset as I understand it.

Listen, I love and appreciate Fong for everything he does. But God forbid someone has a contrary opinion in this thread. There's certainly an argument that JJ should be suspended, but I don't love how this has been handled.

For the record, just in case I hadn't made myself clear, this decision by the SC is fucked up and dystopian. Further on the record though, I also think it's fucked up that I feel I have to clarify my non-contrarian view on this to feel safer posting in this thread. 

1 hour ago, a_Ferk said:

Who is roe v wade

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973),[1] was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Constitution of the United States generally protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose to have an abortion. The decision struck down many U.S. federal and state abortion laws,[2][3] and fueled an ongoing debate in the United States about whether, or to what extent, abortion should be legal, who should decide the legality of abortion, and what the role of moral and religious views in the political sphere should be. It also shaped debate concerning which methods the Supreme Court should use in constitutional adjudication.

The case was brought by Norma McCorvey—known by the legal pseudonym "Jane Roe"—who in 1969 became pregnant with her third child. McCorvey wanted an abortion but lived in Texas, where abortion was illegal except when necessary to save the mother's life. Her attorneys, Sarah Weddington and Linda Coffee, filed a lawsuit on her behalf in U.S. federal court against her local district attorney, Henry Wade, alleging that Texas's abortion laws were unconstitutional. A three-judge panel of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas ruled in her favor and declared the relevant Texas abortion statutes unconstitutional.[4] The parties appealed this ruling to the Supreme Court of the United States.

On June 24, 2022, the Supreme Court overruled Roe in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization.

Edited by JardyB10

13 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

last I checked this wasn't a place where anyone can say "Have XYZ opinion or GTFO."

That's the internet in general though, nobody entertains the thought of somebody disagreeing with them.

- Political thread created (these always go well)

- Clear one sided environment is created

- Kid probably doesn't understand the repurcusssions of this (he's like 12)

- He trolls because he knows people will take the bait

- Obvious bait is taken *insert shocked Pikachu face*

- He is told that he is unloved and should've been aborted (by adults)

- Banned for taking part in discussion

Who could've predicted that this would happen, it's not like these type of threads have caused conflict in the past.